Jubelale - Deschutes Brewery

Available: October to December
Alc. by Vol.: 6.7%
IBUs: 60

216 calories per 12 oz serving

Label artwork changes annually.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jubelale Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance - Dark, cloudy red with a cream-colored, fairly large head.

Smell - Alcohol, brown sugar, nutmeg, maple, and a bit of licorice and toffee.

Taste - Well balanced. The bitterness seems to come from the malts more than the hops. Somehow manages to start and end bitter with the sweetness coming in between. Alcohol is a noticeable part of the flavor profile, as is traditional with winter warmers. The aftertaste is lingering and bitter.

Mouthfeel - Medium-thick body and medium carbonation.

Notes - This is a good all round winter warmer. My only complaint is that lingering bitter aftertaste but that's forgiveable in an otherwise good beer.

Fnord, Dec 03, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Jubelale has a mahogany colored body with a slow rising, light brown colored head. The head is rocky and porous, with good retention and good lacing.

Jubelale has a great aroma. As soon as I pop to cap I can smell rich malty notes in the form chocolate and toffee Underneath the malt is a good dose of dark fruits, and also a good spicy character that could be from the actual addition of spices or from the yeast.

The dominant flavors in Jubelale are definitely supplied by the malt. The sweetness is deep and rich, with a lot of chocolate along with caramel and toffee. Some notes of very dark bread are in there also. After the initial malt flavors, I notice a good bite of grapefruit and citrus along with a noticeable bitterness that lets me know there are a good amount of hops in this beer also; it's kind of strange that I didn't notice them in the aroma, but they are definitely present in the taste. The dark fruits come next, with a pronounced black cherry flavor that pairs with other generic dark fruit flavors. Although it is especially noticeable in the finish, the whole beer has a flavor that makes me think that it has been lightly spiced with cinnamon. It's possible a touch of some other spice was used, but I only notice cinnamon, and only barely. The piney taste of more hops in the finish seem to enhance this flavor, lending a hint of dark tea to the flavor. I really like this winter warmer; it incorporates hops, malt and spices, but the malt is the most prominent and the spices are barely noticeable.

Despite the big malty flavors, the body on Jubelale is a little on the light side, although the carbonation gives a slightly creamy feel, which is nice.

I've liked everything I've tried from Deschutes, and Jubelale is no exception. In fact, it's probably one of my favorites. It's too bad I only bought one bottle, because I could definitely drink more of this. Those of you that love a nice malty beer on cold nights should definitely give Jubelale a try.

Hojaminbag, Dec 03, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

12 ounce bottle of Jubelale from Deschutes. The beer poured a dark chestnut and garnet color with a nice creamy cap of foam which left excellent lacing down the glass. The aroma is mixture of malt, spice and fruity alcohol. The flavor is more dynamic than the aroma. Malt is the main player but the hops provide ample balance. Caramel and toffee are from the roasted malt, but it is earthy, bitter, and mineral-like at the same time. The beer finishes with spicy hops and a hint of alcohol. The palate is left dry.

This is a well constructed beer. All components are well balanced and contribute constructively to the experience. I would definitely drink more of this.

BeardedBoffin, Nov 30, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Had this on tap at Hoffers Cigar bar.

This winter warmer pours dark almost black but more purple. It has a light caramel head. I don't get a smell at all. I smell licorice an small amounts of raisin.

This bad boy is a mini jubel 2010 without all the lasting flavors of the jubel. It starts licoricey with raisins and finish with a hint of hops. Its a good beer in this style but not my favorite.

badboyrsl84, Nov 29, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

70th review on BA
Bottle to Pint

App- It poured a amber colored brown if at all possible with a light one finger tan head.

Smell- I picked up on only a couple things. Dark Malts, Light Roast and some brown sugar.

Taste- Its a bit of a mix in this taste. You get a certain creaminess and then you pick up on some malt and a tad of a bitter with a sweet residue to it.

Mouth- Its a basic medium body with a mild carbonations and some light spice that works well together.

Drink- It was a good 12 oz and I could see a 6'er falling very easily on this one.

FosterJM, Nov 29, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

the pour is a dark red and brown with a tan head. very frothy foam on top. The taste is quit bitter at first and its easy to feel the piney flavors. its definitely a winter beer with the sharp sting in the taste. A bit earthy and possibly some fruit in the mix. The best thing about the beer is not the taste however, it's the smell.

JThysens, Nov 28, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Deschutes Jubelale pours a beautiful deep red brown with a nice tan head. The aroma malty, with some toffee and roasted notes. There is a nice, earthy herbal and mildly citrusy and piney hop aroma. The flavor is bitter and malty, with out being overly sweet. More roasted character comes through in the flavor, with some piney, earthy hops. The beer almost tastes mildly spiced, but it might be because I expected it to be.

ericj551, Nov 27, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Dark red amber and a mixture of brown make up the body that sits below a light, frothy tan/beige head.

Smell: Mostly consists of a malty base that has small hints of a piny hop presence. Not much spice is found and is surprising for the style.

Taste: Very malty texture that is similar to an English ale. Lightly hopped, but with enough to make note of the its piny presence. Not very complex but simple enough to be quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: The malts create a nice covering while the light hops cleanse the pallet well, while leaving a small fresh aftertaste.

Drinkability: Flavors are not too complex and not overpowering enough to be a put off. This combined with a low ABV can make for an extremely drinkable brew.

brewdub17, Nov 26, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a light brownish head atop a dark, almost purple-like body. Head comes back easily upon agitation, but nothing majorly stunning.

Aromas are very floral, sweet, but with an annoying bitterness in the aroma (the same of which is also present in the flavors) popping through. One of the Alstrom brothers referred to it as mineral, perhaps?

Flavors include some berries, a little bit of cocoa, slight caramel, and there, that damn awkward bitter flavor comes through again, spoiling the blend.

Mouthfeel is thin and slightly tickly.

Overall, this is my least favorite Deschutes beer. It has all the components to be a good, sweet winter warmer but for that bitterness that detracts and fights the rest of the recipe. It's like a pilsner wrestling with a fruity ale with the two never quite dovetailing.

Oddly enough, for all the bad things I say about it I still drink it again and again and I don't know why. Maybe it's my unhealthy-relationship beer: you keep returning to it, hoping things will get better. :-D

jminsc76, Nov 26, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

the 2010..
a ruby amulet, clear and inviting, with a beautiful head that creams the tulip. the aroma is lush and inviting: a bit of chocolate, some raisins, dash of caramel, notable and pleasant pine and citrus. very well-balanced, hop-forward winter. the bitterness slams you into the snow, while the caramel sweetness and pine and citrus hops rub it in your face. very chewy for its medium thickness. i shall be enjoying these all day.

dragonWhale, Nov 25, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottle to the pint glass

Appearance: Thick reddish brown with a light tan head. One finger deep but not much body to the foam

Aroma: Spice and malt notes. Some fruityness, maybe figs or raisins

Flavor: Fruity entrance followed by a crips hop bitterness that reminded me of a coffee-type bitterness (but not flavor). Spice is overwhelmed and warming is hardly existent. It seemed more to me like an aggressively hopped red ale than a spicy winter warmer.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, not thick or chewy

ebrauser, Nov 24, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

Nitro-tap at the Deschutes Pub in downtown PDX. Also had on cask but I only had a taster of that. I have also had this countless times in bottles.

Visual: deep red around the edges with a dense mahogany center. light-brown head that is about 5/8 inches and is quite thick. leaves minimal lacing as it is consumed.

Smell: have had this many, many times and the smell leaves something to be desired. I always struggle to pick up on a defining scent, but I normally notice mostly malt with some suppressed citrus hops

Taste/Mouthfeel: mildly roasted malt with a hint of sweetness, a bit of spices, grapefruit, and caramelized banana. not overpowering but there is a lingering aftertaste of malt and slight bitterness. mouthfeel is interesting if you let it warm up a bit; fairly creamy with almost no carbonation.

Drinkability: pretty high if you let it warm up, as this seems to release more of the hidden flavors. i wouldn't say it is sessionable but there have been nights where i have easily put back a couple of these. probably would have gone with another on nitro if Deschutes didn't have The Dissident, Cinder Cone, and Black Butte XXII on tap as well at the time.

This is probably my go-to beer during late fall/early winter, despite it lacking a defining characteristic. I wish it were year-round but after all it is a winter warmer. I enjoyed it more on nitro-tap than I have on regular draft or bottles. would like to try it on cask as well, so hopefully i don't miss my window of opportunity!

CapitalGains, Nov 22, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

Look - Dark brownish in color until held up to the light, which reveals a more reddish color. Two fingers worth of beige-colored foam that dissipates very slowly.

Smell - A little malty smelling with hints of caramel and maybe molasses.

Taste - Slightly more malty in taste, but very well-balanced. Sort of a bittersweet feeling at the back middle of the palate. Finish is mild, and the aftertaste is somewhat lingering. Texture is more toward the creamier side.

Drinkability - Not a bad brew, but it kind of has a filling quality that I wouldn't care for in a six-pack's worth, but on its own is just fine.

Nerudamann, Nov 22, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Small, off-white head, diminishing quickly. Spare lacing. Clear body. Red, orange, brown (tawny?) color.

S: Disappointing. I had a hard time smelling much of anything. Heavy malts with caramel. Light hops.

T: Average duration, moderate sweetness and acidity with light bitterness on the finish.

M: Medium body, thin and slick with soft carbonation.

D: Despite the seemingly negative attributes, this beer went down quickly. Matter of factly, the wife just asked "Did you finish your beer already?". It was good. I think I am just disappointed as I continue my search for a beer with more of the seasonal taste; meaning cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, anything that reminds me of the holidays.

Dieffenbach, Nov 20, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Another gift from the West. This beer presented itself in a much darker condition of an ale. Smell was a mix of light citrus, carmel and toasty bread. Once it hit my lips the hops took over and gave way to a biscuity, sweet finish. Good mouthfeel in full essence of the season. In the end, a really drinkable ale.

Neffbeer, Nov 20, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -20.3%

Reddish brown color with a two fingered light tan head with good retention. The aroma has spices and caramel malt, along with some citrus aroma.

The taste is hoppier than anticipated. The caramel malt and spices also make their presence known, but the bitter hop flavor gets in the way. The hops and the malt do not work together as well as I had hoped. I can also taste some sweet malt and spices, but not as much as I had hoped for.

Medium bodied, medium carbonation, has a bit of a dry feeling. This is not that bad of a beer, but is too hoppy and dry for the style.

hardy008, Nov 20, 2010

Best by 01/27/11

Dark crimson color with a large, dense head that had excellant retention. The head eventually settles to a thick cap. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. Impressive. Malty aroma. Hints of chocolate, caramel, alcohol, and a little citrus. The hops make more of a showing in the taste as all 60 IBUs are detectable. One of the most bitter Winter Warmers I have come across. The bitterness balances out the sweet, chocolatety malt. Some fruity esters add a level of complexity. Alcohol is felt and adds some warmth. The body feels a little light for all the malt and flavor going on. Carbonation is nice. A truely warming Winter warmer. Hoppy and malty and fantastic looking.

morimech, Nov 18, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: Pours mostly clear with a small head of tight off-white bubbles. There is a bit of lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: I get mostly malt with some toasty British notes and some caramel. There is some reserved hops in this beer and they are coming out as a mild grassy note. There really isn't any oxidation to speak of in this beer which is sometimes welcome. As the beer warms up a bit, there is a mild spicy note coming out that I assume is from the alcohol.

Taste: The flavor is pretty clean overall. It has a good bit of the character of a British beer with the malts and hops. I really think of "Old Ale" when I drink this, but it is a bit light and young for that style...so I guess it is the malt-hop balance. There is plenty of carbonation to this beer, so it comes across the palate as pretty drinkable even though it is pushing 7%ABV. The finish has some alcoholic warming and dark caramel to linger for some time after this sip.

Opinion: This is really a good beer overall. It is really clean, but has a solid flavor profile that doesn't leave the palate wanting for hardly anything. The spice is a welcome component, but may be a tad much. Either way, I like this beer and wouldn't mind enjoying it again in the future. Give it a shot if you can find it...you won't be disappointed if you like the Old Ale/Winter Warmer styles of beer.

SkeeterHawk, Nov 18, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

I'm not sure if there is a point to comparing the two, but I just opened a bottle of fresh 2010 and a year old bottle of 2009 I still had and decided to do just that. Reviewing ensued:

2009 and 2010 bottles poured into Delirium Tremens and Noël snifters respectively.

A: Both bottles pour a clear extremely dark ruby red color with a couple fingers of light brown head. The head of the fresher one receded into a thicker, frothier film than the aged bottle, but both left great rings of sticky lacing down the glass.
S: Both has rich malty tones but the 10 has a brighter, fruitier smell that is also full of spices, while the 09 has more of a quadruple aged dark fruit odor and perhaps some woody notes. The fresh one smells a lot better than the aged.
T: The difference between the two bottles is like night and day. Compared to the fresh bottle the aged one is muted with far more roasted, over ripened fruit, and tobacco flavors. The fresh one is full of earthy, resiny hops, all spice, sweet malts, caramelized banana and bright sweet fruits. I don't much care for the aftertaste of the 09, but the 10's is full of brown sugar and doughy bread crust. 10 is much sweeter.
M: Medium body on both, maybe a touch thick mouthfeel on the 09. Carbonation is slightly sharper on the 09. There is a little bit of alcohol vapor present in both the nose and mouth of the 10, but I wouldn't say it's warming. No trace of alcohol in the 09.
D: Based on this, albeit narrow, experiment of these two bottles I can say that Jubelale did not hold up very well over the year. This may have just been batch variation, and it's still drinkable, but the 09 is a completely different beer than the 10. If you already knew this, congratulations, I'm apparently slow. But if you're looking for a place to age a few bottles from your six-pack, you won't find any room in my cellar. Drink it fresh! (Score represents fresh version).

scottfrie, Nov 17, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -31.6%

12 oz bottle into my Rahr Winter Warmer oversized snifter.

A - 1 finger light brown head, settles to ring/cover. Beautiful clear dark brown.

S - sweet malts, candied fruits - apples, cherries...caramel & a bit of spice for good measure.

T - Whoa! Spicy hops galore...not like the smell at all. Pepper, pine, coffee...wow, I simply cannot get past the shock of the hop bitterness. Aftertaste is bitter too. The malts are in there somewhere, but the bitterness is too overpowering. There is warming too, with the ABV, but I consider that par for the course with this style.

M - carbonation is fine, medium body...but the finish is dry, too dry in my opinion.

D - Not really. Don't think I'll have another one tonight. I'll drink my sixer, but I'm not buying any more of this. Maybe I'll offer it to guests who might like it more than me.

Apparently this is a popular beer, but I did score it the way that I did, since it didn't quite seem like a Winter Warmer to me...almost like a CDA instead? The harsh bitterness is just not what I typically expect from a Winter Warmer; I expect a bit more balance.

Upon reading some other reviews, maybe this beer needed to warm up a bit more. Obviously I have to finish out this sixer, so next time, I'll let it warm up a little more and see if it seems a bit less harsh. Or if all else fails, let someone else drink it.

fragilehearted, Nov 15, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +2%

Appearance:
Deep amber-brownish color. Lots of fine little bubbles. Head looks very creamy. Lacing looks great on the glass.

Aroma:
Dark fruit, deep caramel malts, some brown sugar, spices, I could smell some hops.

Taste & Mouthfeel:
Mixture of brown sugar and dark fruit up front, I get some spices, caramel, a little touch of roasted malts. Nice hoppy chartacter at the end, resiny-leafy. Body is medium, a little sticky.

Finish & Aftertaste:
Smooth finish, resiny aftertaste that lingers very well.

Overall Impressions:
Very good, a really nice holiday beer.

mjurney, Nov 14, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -8.9%

12 oz. bottle into glass pint.
40°F

$9.99 / 6-pk.

A: Bright brown body with red highlights topped with two fingers of tight beige head of moderate retention. Leaves behind moderate foamy lace and creamy cover.

S: Spicy aroma with noticeable sweet malt and a slight coffee tone. Hops are floral to grassy and there is just a hint of alcoholic hotness.

T: A bit on the hop end of the spectrum with a piney resinous character up front. Spicy malt profile throughout finishing with a slight bitter aftertaste. Again, some alcohol shows through.

M: Light to medium body and high carbonation. Crisp with noticeable carbonic bite. No hop oil texture.

D: Light enough to enjoy, but a bit too many flavors going in too many directions. A few of these are fine, could really use some balance.

O: Good, but not great.

dpnelson1978, Nov 14, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

A - A beautifully thick, rich, fig brown, hemmed by an orangey hue.

S- Offers an array of berries - cassis, cranberry, blueberry - that hang distractingly from a subtle malt background, manifested through soft wafts of caramel. The hops hides somewhere between the two - barely distinguishable.

T - Let it be noted that the following is a revised draft of my original review, in which I bashed the taste pretty severely at first - accusing it of being unbalanced, and ultimately ruined by an ambush of hops on the finish. However, although an aspect of this asymmetry still exists, allowing the beer to reach almost room temperature massively improved the experience, and so I'll conclude the following:

The fore and mid palates present the berry complexity displayed by the nose, although relatively short-lived. Malt and spice lead forth, exhibiting sticky toffee pudding, and spices - particularly nutmeg - with some resinous pine wandering along the edge. Hops finally take center stage for the finale, which, although welcoming, seems to fail in its attempt to fully integrate, and eventually results in a disappointingly detached and unbalanced final quality.

M - the viscosity reflects the visual density, while the higher-end medium carbonation breaks-up some of the malty stickiness.

D - pretty good, but lacks the abv to really tackle the stickiness of the malt. One an evening is definitely enough.

SirRuss, Nov 13, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this at Red Bones NW Fest on 11/12/10

Appearance: Ruby and Amber in color on a nice clear body. The head is thick has a remarkable persistence. Lacing is thick and coats the glass as I drink.

Aroma: Not a big nose. Slightly dark fruity scent with a nice bouquet of hop flavors presence.

Taste: Malty sweet (caramel in particular) with dark fruits also provided balance against floral/herbal/slightly piney hop flavors. Not too robust, but very well balanced.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Light body for a beer called a winter warmer. Yes, this might be bigger than your average session beer, but I would have no problem making this one a beer of choice at a holiday party. Not too filling and it finishes crisp and clean.

Overall: I'm becoming a fan of the winter warmer that creates a great balance of flavors without resorting to spices. With the right malt sweetness and selection of hops, you can produce a drinkable, robust beer that warms the soul on a winter evening.

33 Beers Flavor Chart (5 high to 1 low):
Body: 2.5
Linger: 3

soze47, Nov 12, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Deep brown with red and purple accents. The head tops very well with a medium tan and allot of stamina. This brew is a sight to be seen.

S - Cherry, cranberry, medium roasted malts and a hint of cocoa.

T - Slightly spicy edge over a strong base of toasted caramel malts. There's a bitter resiny taste that lingers on my tongue in the finish.

M - Coarse with a smoothness along the outside of my tongue. My lips are left with a nice tingle.

~ This a a definite warmer. I've had only a few sips and I'm already feelin' nice and cozy. This is a sipper that should be enjoyed rather slow.

cdkrenz, Nov 11, 2010