Hop Trip (Bond Street Series) - Deschutes Brewery

Hop Trip (Bond Street Series)Hop Trip (Bond Street Series)

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: TheBungyo on 10-08-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Trip (Bond Street Series) Alström Bros
Reviews: 458 | Hads: 1,220

This beer pours a startlingly deep copper with a smallish head. The aroma is a vivid mix of citrus, really fresh pine, lavender, and chamomile. The flavor is a rich hop fueled mix of pine and citrus first, followed by some very unusual herbal tones, that mostly serve to remind me of earl grey tea. The mouthfeel perfectly catches a balance between light and redolent with rich oils. Overall this an amazing beer - best fresh hop beer of the season so far. There is so much going on, the the tea flavor is so wonderfully evocative, I cannot help but loving this beer.

This tasted like a clean hippy's armpit. The fresh hops were way funky, but FRESH! I like fresh hopped beers and this one was resiny fresh! I had to floss after, which is a good thing. I really enjoyed it because that frrrresh funk kept bringing me back for more. I have dreams every night of this beer.

4.98/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours a clear amber, off white half finger of head.

Smell is holy god!!!! Fresh squeezed citrus, orange, mango, pineapple, apple. Sweetness underneath, a true pleasure to smell, I am almost afraid to taste because I do not want to be let down by the amazing aroma!

Taste is just as good, fresh and I mean fresh citrus, tropical, pineapple and orange are all over this thing! Oily, piney, good malt base. just really impressive stuff!

Mouthfeel is oily, medium, crisp and both wet and dry, really interesting feel to this one.

WOW WOW WOW, that is all I have to say about that. This is by far the best fresh hop beer I have ever had, I will not even need to look for Founders Harvest this year, this is cheaper and better IMO. I may go back for a case! I can not believe how impressive this beer it! BUY IT!

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

Received this beer from KevSal as a bonus, thanks KevSal!
1 Pint, 6 oz bottle...best by 1/19/11. Poured into a Samuel Adams perfect pint glass.

A-Amber looking, almost a 2 finger head.

S-Faint smell of pine, more honey, sweet smelling. Far from most stronger smelling IPAs I've had.

T-Here comes the hops! A nice mix of malt and hops. Hops up front and at the end. More malt in the middle, a very smooth taste.

M-Smooth and somewhat light.

D-Yes please, may I have another? Great APA, if only I lived on the West coast, this brew would be a standard for me. At 5.5% the ABV isn't terribly high and would allow me to indulge.

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours dark, hazy amber color with thick, foamy head. Excellent lacing on side of glass. Hoppy citrus smell with strong citrus taste. Hints of pine. Hops and malt well balanced. Bitterness starts right when you start drinking until you have finished your sip. Mild bitter aftertaste. Excellent beer. The only thing I would change is to have a longer hoppy aftertaste, but it is superb nonetheless. You gotta try it if you see it, and drink it fresh.

add for 2014. freshly hopped with longer bitter aftertaste. great batch this year!!

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - transparent amber, one finger white head. Beauty in the glass.
S- fresh sweet hop, citrus, piney
T- grapefruit,mine, citrus, malt. Little bitterness.
M- light to medium bodies, not watery. Moderate carbonation.
O- I could drink one or twelve of these. 5.5% but so full flavored. I love with this one for sure. Sad I bought just one.

Um, I mean, don't drink this. It's horrible. More for me, mwah hahaha!!!

4.81/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Light fruits -- ripe peach, banana and pear -- dominate the nose and tongue. Deep honeyed amber color, off-white head with good retention. Creamy mouthfeel. Very mellow pop of bitterness at the front. Orange juice and more peach in the middle. Big sweet finish. Juicy and delicious. Drink soon!

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

Drinking on 11/11 with a 12/27 best before date. Picked this one up on a weekend trip up to PA. Looks great in the glass. Smell is nice and citrusy but not quite at the top level like some other hop forward brews I've had as of late. The taste and mouthfeel are on a whole other level of greatness. The flavor of the hops is unlike any I've tasted lately. Its so sweet and smooth and minimal bitterness in the finish. Its almost butter and bready in the body and so full for a pale ale. Almost a caramel sweetness like a Vienna Lager or Marzen but its a hoppy pale ale. Nothing thin or watery with this one at all. It's such an incredible pale ale I don't know what else to say except "Please Deschutes, distribute in MD!

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

A- Really thick tan head on a cloudy deep orange body.
S- Just a ton of fresh hops in the nose. Orange, hints of grapefruit, mandarins, and that pine aroma from fresh hopping. Also a sweet caramel body hides under it all.
T- Follows the aroma with the ton of fresh hops. They stick all over the mouth and leave it with a nice bitterness and coating of hop juice. Sweet caramel body lingers just a little bit in the aftertaste too.
M- Full/medium body with low smooth carbonation.
D- Probably the best fresh hopped beer I have had. Just one great beer and shame they can't make this year round. I might have to go pick up a few more bottles before I can't find it anymore.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

Thanks to koopa for this one!!

Pours a hazed amber/orange/honey color, with a sturdy two-finger foamy tan head, fades slowly into a film on top of the beer and a nice collar around the inside of the glass, sticky sheets of lacing all over the glass. Lots of juicy tangerine aroma, soft floral hops, grapefruit, and a sweet caramel malt backbone. Taste is right there with all the aromas, some bitter grapefruit, and a really nice bready malt presence. Perfectly carbonated, lively and refreshing, and couldn't be any more drinkable. An absolute treat, definitely one of the finest beers I've ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

A: Slight white head over deep amber liquid.

S: Cherries, pleasant herbs and peaches.

T: Cherries, peaches, blueberries and pleasant herbal notes over toasty and caramel malts.

M: Medium viscosity and a low level of carbonation.

O: Delicious. Mosaic is fantastic when brewed this way, and this hop would go well in a dark Belgian. As a pale ale, it doesn't get much better than this.

4.74/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This beer is fucking awesome. Probably my favorite APA.
Beautiful copper color. Subtle but great hop smell. Very smooth and fresh taste. This is one of those beers that I just wish was year round. I am not very good at accurately using words like juicy and chewy and over-precocious (???), but just try this fucking beer man. Its great.

4.74/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Pours a nice amber with good amounts of white foam and lacing

Smell: Very balanced for the beers name. This is not a big hoppy IPA like it suggests. Subdued citrus notes and malt notes tease the olfactory.

Taste: This is a balanced beer for sure. It hits the tongue as somewhat fruity and leaves a malty taste lingers in the back of your mouth.

Mouthfeel: This is a very light feeling beer on the mouth that finishes incredibly smooth.

Overall: Very good beer. Give it a shot.

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

This may be my favorite beer from this company. Hop trip pours a light amber that is fairly transparent. The nose is very floral and mild hoppy, very hoppy but not as sharp as and IPA hoppiness. The first taste shocked me at the freshness of the hop flavors without bitterness, and even a sweet finish. This is no hippie staple like black butte, it is a good harvest ale. Calling it a pale ale does not do it justice. This makes up for the hairspray that is obsidian.

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

Just to start, blown away with how good this beer is. I actually just found this beer in a liquor store in my town, so it has aged a bit.

Start with the bottle. Cool picture of a truck full of hops. Really neat picture and brings a homegrown connotation to the experience.

The appearance of the beer is a medium amber-gold. The head came two fingers width, with the heads color being a white with a slight gold tint.

The smell got me really excited. It is literally a smell that I could have 24hrs. a day. Really hoppy with some grass and a 'truck' of good ingredients. The aroma just really started me right up.

The taste is not as strong of hops as I would of liked, BUT it is a pale ale. The drinkability is amazing. I am going to go back to the liquor store and buy their entire stock. Although its winter the brew just tastes like summer, which brings me back to the good times of the summer past. The hops just grace your tongue so gently and smoothly that you just want to drench yourself in the feeling of the drink.

I give it such high rankings for a few reasons. Smells amazing. Renewed by love for Pale Ales, brought me back to my first memory of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Makes me happy.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my favorite APA to date, the fresh hops smell and taste is great. Citrus with notes of pines, and a nice fresh herbal tone make it really enjoyable.
Too bad this is just a seasonal, I'd drink it all year round. This is the beer that made me grow fresh hops in my garden.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Clear orange-golden with a nice head that leaves curtains of lace.

Bready with a fresh green smell.

Bready, earthy, fresh, lemon and orange peel. Hops present but merge right in with the malt. Pleasant flavor profile.

Smooth. Crisp.

This beer's strength is its balance, and it excels at that. Phenomenally drinkable, just really hit the spot for me. Hard to review because I just kept drinking it.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%

Waited all year to try this beer, and it was worth the wait.

This beer pours a dark golden haze with a fresh hop aroma, that makes you want to buy more and more...

Beer is very drinkable and an excellent choice with a pizza or chili in my opinion.

Another great addition to the Bond St Series from Deschutes!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Gorgeous beer. Two fingers of creamy white head top a orange/amber beer with excellent clarity. Some very sporadic bubbles lazily make their way to the top of the glass. The head has wonderful retention and I can already see there will be a great deal of lacing. (there was some nice lacing, but not as much as I had thought)

Real nice aroma. Very citrus like and fresh. Thick aroma... Some grain like aroma in the background, but this is all about the hops.

Man, this gets better at each step. This is a great beer. Flavor is fresh and very well balanced. A nice mix of wonderful malt/bread notes and fresh hop bitterness. Starts with a nice biscuity malt flavor that has a brief moment of sweetness, before the fresh hop flavor comes in. Some nice grapefruit stays on top, while the wonderful malt flavor plays well down below. The ending is the grapefruit/citrus hops slowly lingering away.

Mouth feel is fairly light, but has nice body. This is wonderfully drinkable.
I wish I stuck a 2nd bottle in my suit case!! I will have to have this again next year when released. Excellent!

4.69/5  rDev +13.8%

I love the label. :-)

22 oz bomber pours out a slightly hazed orange/copper color. Almost a glowing quality, like hot embers. A gently pour yields a 1 finger head that ftattens to a pancake, but stays all the way down. A little lacing.

Smells glorious. Fresh...very fresh..hops in the nose. Very sweet and floral.

Tastes is also all about the hops. Lots and lots of great hop flavor, but not really much bitterness.The IBU's are listed as 35. A suble malt backdrop becomes evident after a few sips. Very refreshing.

Somewhat heavier body that you might expect from from a APA, but that's probably from all the yummy hop oil. Very "wet" mouthfeel and some residue on the tongue. Very pleasing on the palate. Light carbonation. Super drinkable. A great session beer.

It's really too bad they only make this in the early fall. I would love to have this year round, especially in the summer. Deschutes really nailed this one.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

A - Pours a hazy orange amber

S - Terrific fresh hop aroma, lots of fresh grass and flowers, with some sweetness behind it.

T - Hops come through in the taste, lots of citrus and floral in the front which gives way to grassiness. Carmel malt backbone holds it all together nicely.

M - Light and oily, with a crystal clean finish from the fresh hops. I love the freshness from fresh hop ales, and this one represents the style beautifully.

D - Fantastic, easy to drink brew that I keep my eye out for during harvest season.

4.66/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours out a hazy orange body with a frothy head. Smells like some funky hops. Oniony, citrusy, piney. I get some caramel and toasted bread from the malts and a touch of fruitiness from the yeast. Taste is way bigger on citrus rind than I would have imagined. I don't get as much funkiness in the flavor as I do in the nose, but those huge orange, tangerine, and grapefruit notes and delicious. Malt is certainly there, providing a sweet background with some caramel and toasted malts. Toast doesn't go overboard. My only complaint in the taste is that the sweetness can get to be a bit too much. Very minimal bitterness. Mouthfeel is about perfect for what the flavors bring. Creamy and a little fluffy, but, when left in the mouth, the carbonation picks up and strips the tongue of the hop resins. This is a great beer. It's hard to put down.

4.64/5  rDev +12.6%

Had this on-tap, as well as in 22oz bottle. This review is for the bottle serving.

Bottled in the early fall, right as all the hops are being harvested. As the story goes, the Deschutes folks drive up to Yakima and load up their cargo truck full of fresh cut hops.

Wet hops, whole flowers. No pellets or drying is done. These suckers go from the vine to the vat.

Pours a yellow amber hue with a bit of haze. Good head that sticks to the glass side.

Aroma is leafy hops. Citrus and bitter pine. Oranges, tangerines, florals, fresh honey.

Juicy orange and other fruit. Mild pine and spice. The hop oil has a numbness to it, which provides an interesting aftertaste.

THis is a borderline IPA in my book, but just barely lacks the resin-stickiness. One of my top session beers of all time. Planning to grab up a case of this and hold onto until the summer. I would really enjoy this on a camping trip or a hot summer day.

4.64/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle this beer had a slightly hazy, amber-red color with a 2+ finger, off-white head of densely packed bubbles. The smell was excellent, much like a strong IPA - very fruity and inviting. The taste began moderately fruity and bitter, followed by much carbonation and a quick finish....starts like an IPA but ends like a Pale Ale. Mouthfeel was dominated by high carbonation and a mild - medium, not too lingering, dryness. Overall, I think the drinkability was exceptional. The lower ABV combined with the lively mouthfeel and taste make me rate this a 5-. Good stuff!

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter - Fridge temp - 2008

Appearance: Pours a transparent red/orange color with a 1" ivory head. It shows great retention and leaves plenty of coating lace. Even after the glass is tilted, the beer leaves lace behind everywhere.

Smell: Awesome bouquet of grapefruit, orange and lemon. There is some pine in there as well. Underneath all the hoppiness lies a sweet base of malt. Exceptionally fresh, strong and mouthwatering.

Taste: Resinous hops with grapefruit and orange. Bitter, but very tasty and quenching. Malty base is a tad sweet but knows it's role. A bitter finish completes with a slight dry, mineral taste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, bitter and slightly sweet. Alcohol isn't very noticeable at 5.5%. Medium body.

Drinkability: Wow. This is probably the best fresh hop ale out there. It the hops carried from the aroma to the taste, equivocally, this could be a perfect beer. Very fresh and extremely drinkable.

Hop Trip (Bond Street Series) from Deschutes Brewery