Hop Trip (Bond Street Series) - Deschutes Brewery

Hop Trip (Bond Street Series)Hop Trip (Bond Street Series)

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Available: October to December
Alc. by Vol.: 5.5%
IBUs: 38

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-15-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Trip (Bond Street Series) Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 776-800 | 801-825 | 826-850  | next › last »
3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a one finger dark tan head over a cloudy copper liquid. Smells citrusy hops during the pour. To the nose, it's butterscotch, caramel, apricot, grapefruit pith, and some orange oil. Tastes malty, but dry. Like oodles of munich malt was used. Flat grassy, but I think not from the hops, I think it's the malt. Woody dry hops with a hint of oranges. No grapefruit or pith to be detected and hop bitter is mild at best. Huh, that description matches how Goldings taste to me and I don't see how Goldings would be used as the hops in an APA. No fruity esters. Instead I taste pot-roast beef, deep and flat, late in the taste. I'm not impressed. Nice body for an APA, it's md-thick with a chewy quality. Moderate carbonation that forms bubbles on the flat of the tongue, but that do not detract from the flavors. Towards the end, the hops do become apparent as a mild, but persistant chalky dryiness. Overall, I'm not fond of the taste of this beer, but the other qualities are quite good.

mentor, Nov 28, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Found this fine beer at a market near my parents house where I grew up, they have a fine selection of beers. This poured a medium amber and the head lasted all the way down and left plenty of lacing on the way. Nice piney fresh hop taste and that is the point right? This beer is made with fresh or wet hops. The "fresh" taste was there but not quite as up front as I had hoped, I'm sure on tap this is a killer. Good though with a nice malt backbone as well. Just a bit teasing. Mouthfeel, didn't know how to rate it because this is the most full bodied pale I have ever had. Mixed feelings but had to rate it high as it was not only thickish but had a very creamy feel as well. Drinkable, yes of course. Fine beer and glad I stumbled across it.

Mark, Nov 26, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

I love the label. :-)

22 oz bomber pours out a slightly hazed orange/copper color. Almost a glowing quality, like hot embers. A gently pour yields a 1 finger head that ftattens to a pancake, but stays all the way down. A little lacing.

Smells glorious. Fresh...very fresh..hops in the nose. Very sweet and floral.

Tastes is also all about the hops. Lots and lots of great hop flavor, but not really much bitterness.The IBU's are listed as 35. A suble malt backdrop becomes evident after a few sips. Very refreshing.

Somewhat heavier body that you might expect from from a APA, but that's probably from all the yummy hop oil. Very "wet" mouthfeel and some residue on the tongue. Very pleasing on the palate. Light carbonation. Super drinkable. A great session beer.

It's really too bad they only make this in the early fall. I would love to have this year round, especially in the summer. Deschutes really nailed this one.

1whiskey, Nov 23, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Warmly glowing firelight orange. A gorgeous, inviting color. The pastel orange cap suggests a relatively high hop load. It's more dense and creamy than one usually sees on an APA and looks great even as it melts like a creamsicle in the sun. Spidery webs and daddy long legs of lace are arrayed on the glass in a most appealing fashion. I like the look, yes I do.

Even though there's no hurry since the beer hasn't even been in the bottle for a month yet, I wanted to drink it young to maximize the hoppiness. Fresh hop ales ought to be drunk fresh, oughtn't they? This one does not disappoint. The nose is a juicy explosion of ripe tangerine, passionfruit, sugared grapefruit and even peach! I had no idea that Crystal hops smelled this good.

It's gorgeous on the palate as well. I have to keep reminding myself that this is a pale ale, not an IPA. For an APA, it's as hop heavy as all but the most style-busting versions. I'm more than glad about my decision to drink it fresh. The caramel malt backbone is sturdy enough to stand up the hops and contributes enough, but not too much, malty flavor to the proceedings.

Obviously, Hop Trip is all about the hops. I propose that from now on that we start talking about the 5-Cs. Even though it would be my least favorite, Crystal hops (if this beer is any indication) belong in that esteemed group without a doubt. I don't get the same hop-intensive explosion on the palate that I did in the nose. For that I'll blame the taming quality of the malt. It's still plenty juicy, though, with sweet orange and pink grapefruit surviving intact. Mary Jane says 'hi' too.

The mouthfeel is a few notches more full than medium, considering the style, and has a lightly chewy stickness on the finish that prolongs the pleasure. The well-buried carbonation is right up my alley and I find myself enjoying the mouthfeel more and more with each successive sip. Deschutes has seen fit to polish every aspect of this fine ale and has made sure that it's more than solid across the board.

Loving hops as I do, it's no wonder that I love a fresh, hoppy ale brewed by a great Pacific NW brewery. Prior to cracking the crown, I would have bet a considerable amount that a Crystal-exclusive APA couldn't possibly have impressed me this much. I don't mind being proven wrong though. Not if it means that I get to drink another outstanding beer from the good folks at Deschutes. Hop Trip begs to be made year-round.

BuckeyeNation, Nov 23, 2005
3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

This is rather dark for a pale ale, on the darker side of copper. It has a good clean fresh herbal hop smell with hint of brown sugar. It smells more like many of the superior NW IPA's than a pale ale. Unusually this tastes justs as the nose suggests. It has a very full flavour for a pale ale and decent carbonation. Normally I tend to give pale ales a miss in favour of IPA's, but this one is definitely worth a try. Good stuff!

charlatan, Nov 21, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

My virgin attempt at fresh (wet) hop ales. (note to self) make it to the wet hop beer festival at O'briens next year.

Average size head, sticky, sliding lacing. copper and ready for consumption. Smells spunky fresh, some sweet orange, and floral hops.

Piney, slick, and raw are the first thoughts that come to mind on the first pull. As the beer warms the balance of malts comes together, or at least closer. Sugary/sweetness also rears its head as it warms slowly.

Notes: It tasted like a well brewed pale with a bit more raw hop flavor. My first brew from Deschutes and they are off to a good start.

DogFood11, Nov 19, 2005

22-oz. bomber purchased from Bottleworks in Seattle. Poured into a large pint glass, this has a nice light copper color with a thin but persistent head. Smell- and taste-wise this is like the beer equivalent of a Sauvignon Blanc, what with it's fresh green grass, melon, pineapple, herbaceous, woodsy, and slightly mineral-tinged profile. The raw green leafiness of the hops is especially prevalent in the nose, and the pineapple/melon flavors are more noticable in the taste, probably because of the sugars from the sturdy malt backbone kicking in. Finishes fairly sweet, would prefer a bit more dryness, but this is a unique beer and a good one.

bultrey, Nov 07, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

I expected this beer to be much different. more like a strong IPA. It has a wonderful amber color, and retains it thick head nicely. At first I was disapointed. I thought, "Kinda weak for a beer named Hop Trip." But then I realized that this is supposed to be a hoppy pale ale. It has a nice hoppy bouquet, not over powering, just perfect. The hops and malt are balanced perfectly, leaning twords hops. A little is left to be desired at the end, but another swallow cures that. The beer has a slight carbonation and an excellent mouthfeel, not to watery and not to thick. I think this beer is perfect for many meals when you feel like smething a little lighter. Although, this beer is not a light beer, and it is hoppy.

tekk9, Nov 04, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +8.6%

Wow - for the first fresh hopped beer to be distributed in bottles Deschutes sure has done this one up right!

The beer pours a clean deep amber bordering on brown with a half inch of coarse dirty white foam. The head drops off very quickly without leaving much lacing on the glass.

The smell is unreal - it's a pure, green hop smell that just screams "fresh" The nose is primarily pine forest after a rain with a bit of fresh cut grass and earthy notes as well.

The taste is also fresh green hops - almost no malt to be found here. There's a wee bit of sweet caramel but it's far in the background while the hops notes are clean, bright and plentiful. Flavors of pine, tangerine, pineapple, spruce and citrus rind predominate. What's important to note is that while this is very, very, -very- hoppy this is not in the least bitter. Hop lovers will enjoy this but it's nowhere near a hop monster. Even though this is a Pale Ale I'm sure expectations are for an India Pale Ale - expectations will be disappointed. IBUs are very reasonable (35), alcohol is low (5.5%) and malts are tame - all expected for an APA. What you will find is a very clean, clear, fresh hop bouquet with an unbelievable amount of flavor.

Mouthfeel is good but carbonation is a bit on the low side. The body is light and somewhat thin but a very clean finish on the palate. No residual bitterness and if anything a mild sweet note as a finish.

If you like hops, you'll love this beer. It may be a bit of a one trick pony to be an everyday beer but it's highly enjoyable and I'm already looking forward to having another one.

RedwoodGeorge, Oct 30, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

Pours a gorgeous deep mahogany with a very big head. Smell is of hops - yep, there are hops in this brew. Taste...well, I'm disappointed. There's just no bottom end to this brew. The taste disappears as soon as it hits the back of my tongue. Easy to drink, but I'll continue my pursuit of world-class hoppy beers elsewhere...

troutmask96, Oct 30, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

I waited long and with great anticipation for this beer which was finally ordered for me by the great folks at Fine Wines Ltd in Redmond, Washington. I’m fond of hops and very enamored with this Bend, Oregon brewery. 22 oz brown bottle for this seasonal offering.

Appearance – The orange amber brew pours with a white, one-finger head exhibiting moderate, uneven retention and light lacing. The broken head remained throughout the pint.

Smell – The smell is wonderfully hoppy, as expected, with the spicy, sprucey hops contributing loads of floral complexity to the smell.

Taste – Well, to start with the malts, there’s not a lot to say about them. Nothing particularly flavorful is detectable in the malt here, and it’s not that the hops are too loud. In fact, for such an obviously hop-focused beer, I definitely feel the hops are very restrained. There is simply not much taste in the malts. Now, the hops are not overpowering; not at all. These crystal hops from the Willamette valley are heavily on the piney, sprucey side. If there would be anything objectionable in this beer to those not in love with the hops, it might be the concentration of pine needle flavor as opposed to actual level of bitterness. I think this is a superbly hoppy yet restrained beer. Had it malt complexity, I might call it balanced. The malt just doesn’t stand out enough. Also, this is an exceedingly fresh tasting beer in mid-October 2005. The finish is long.

Mouthfeel – It has a coarse, fresh, medium-lightbodied mouthfeel.

Drinkability – I think this is a superbly drinkable beer and I didn’t want to put it down. This is probably more geared toward hops fans, but should be restrained enough to be enjoyed by anyone who loves American Pale Ale’s and fresh craft beers.

xoqx, Oct 26, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Ah another in the Bond Street series, I have been a little dissapointed so far, solets hope this beats expectations.
Very attractive looking ale dark red amber in colour small light tan head, that lasts maybe 30 seconds, but is replaced bylashings of lace.
Very fresh hoppy aroma,this one hits you straight on,lovelly ho aroma everywere.
Nice taste too,the hops are slightly different then most pales, more greener and more fruity, i suppose this is fresh hops added, much like Bert Grants Fresh Hop Ale but much more in your face.SEmi dry finish though the hop bitterness takes a while to fade ( excellent).
Excellent in the mouth ,very invigorating, each sip inviting another.
Great drinkability I am hapy to see Deschutes hasnt "lost it"..excellent Fall ale.

Reidrover, Oct 25, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

10/14/05- Purchased at Plumpjack's in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with a picture of a 70's Dodge truck bringing back a payload of fresh picked hops. There is a code on the label, but I don't know how to read it. Poured into my Pike Brewery pint glass.

Appearance- Deep amber colored pour. Clear and no murk. Half inch head which dies down to a skim layer ontop throughout the rest of the beer. About average lace for a Pale Ale.

Smell- Fruity and woody hops with a nice malty background. Some pine scent as well as maybe orange peel.

Taste- Fairly bitter hop taste on the swallow. Mostly pine flavored hops over fruity ones. Maybe a touch floral or iced tea like. Good malt base.

Mouthfeel- Nicely carbonated, bitter and a bit slick on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability- I like this one. Kinda like a Sierra Neavda, but maybe with a touch more hops. Very well rounded. Session worthy IMO. Getting more next time.

GClarkage, Oct 15, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -14.9%

With a name like "Hop Trip" you kind of encounter preconcieved notions. Naturally, with the word hop in the name, you expect it to be hoppy right? Does this deliver? Yes and no.
Of course you have to keep in mind this is a pale ale, made with fresh hops. It isn't going to be as hoppy as an IPA, or Double IPA.
I poured this with little head for fanfare and a pleasant looking warm rusty color. Now normally when I pull that cap off of a bottle of hoppy beer, before I even pour it, I can smell the hops. Not this time. Even after I poured itI couldn't smell anything more than a trace of hops and a just a bit more malt.
My first taste didn't treat me to much hop flavor at all. I was kind of surprised. It reminded me more of an English Pale Ale than anything we have stateside. Looking back, I think I drank it a bit too cold even though I let it warm in the bottle for 15 minutes. As it warmed, the hop flavor became more apparent and more pleasureable. Very citrusy with just a hint of pine, and a finish that screams grain and bread. I do have to say it was an overall unique hop taste.
A decent beer that I'm glad I tried but wouldn't be in any huge rush to try again. If you're looking for a hop fix, look elsewhere. If you want to explore hop taste a bit, then try it. Not a bad beer, but maybe a different name would be better suited to those of us longing for hoppiness!

TheBungyo, Oct 08, 2005