Inversion IPA - Deschutes Brewery

Beer added by: Jason on 03-22-2006

Alc. by Vol.: 6.8%
IBUs: 80

228 calories per 12 oz serving
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Inversion IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,724 | Reviews: 807

The best deschuttes ipa, and that's saying a lot.

4.98/5  rDev +28%

Best IPA I have had!

4.92/5  rDev +26.5%

Having had some out of a cask and finding it to my liking, now was the time to try it in a bottle.

From the bottle: "Paradise is stumbling upon our whole flower hop room and inhaling."; "Inversion is as close as you can get without knowing somebody."; "Crafted for explorers everywhere since 1988"; "We worship the flower. The hop flower, that is. We know you do too. Inversion is our tribute to that flower, with plenty of balance, finesse and personality to feed the hop lover in us all."

It produced a bug, rocky, off-tan head on the pour. The color was a slightly cloudy deep-amber. OMFG, was this intensely hoppy in the mouth! I love hops, but I almost coughed in astonishment, and that rarely happens. The neck label mentioned "... layers of soft caramel notes", but they were barely evident on the finish and not at all in the mouth. The nose was likewise redolent with hops. The finish had the same intense citrus/hop flavor, but slightly tempered by the malt. Wow! It produced a beautiful, sticky lacing throughout. This is my favorite Deschutes product, bar none.

4.85/5  rDev +24.7%

This beer has a slight sweetness, but is overall a hoppy - full-bodied delight. It is the most drinkable and tasty IPA I have come across thus far. It pours a nice, amber-brown and smells just as uniquely brilliant as it tastes. Great beer for all seasons.

4.83/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Nice beer interesting that it seems to have the flavors cascade in reverse the interplay of malt and hop Certainly makes this beer different from anything else that I have tasted I would have this again

4.82/5  rDev +23.9%

This purchase was a total whim. God bless the "Wine Garden" in Blackfoot Idaho, and their 8 dollar mix and match 6 pack.

Sweet eight pound, six ounce baby Jesus. This is one fine beer.

A - Hazy bronze. two finger, cratered, bubbly head. Fine, spotty lacing. Appetizing.

S - Warm, yeasty malt. Lime, citrusy hops. Delicious.

T - Glorious. This is a damn good beer. there are subtle hints of pine and sage, various herbals. The hops are not messing around. There's citrus; grapefruit, and lime, as well as malt and a healthy bready yeast that wraps the whole thing up and practically delivers it to your palate like a christmas gift of flavor.

M - Hands down, the best mouthfeel I have ever experienced in a beer, to date. Usually this is a pass/fail type characteristic, but not when it is clearly so stellar. Creamy, fine bubbles caress my tongue, and make love to the senses.

D - If it were physiologically possible to have sex with beer, this is one I would fantasize about.

Pardon me, I am going to go have a cigarette.

I don't even smoke.

4.77/5  rDev +22.6%

Pours a beautiful with a sticky foamy head that laces down the glass. Smell is citrusy piny sticky caramely woody hops and malts. Taste is caramel, piny hops, citrusy hops, bitter and sweet all in one. Mouthfeel is a tad creamy and drinkability is huge for this brew.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

bought this as a single bottle:
A DEEP orange hue / solid finger of head with nice sticky lacing - LOTS of clarity

S lite hopiness to the nose

T mmmm YUM nice hoppy bite w/ SUBTLE malty back

M thick and full body

D not to be Trifled with - this is a serious brew. @ 6.8 the buzz comes on quick

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

This brew pours a mostly opaque copper color with reddish highlights. A thick three-finger head, some of which remains on top until the end and heavy lacing.

The smell is orange, grapefruit, lemon and pine with a bready and caramel malt backbone.

The taste follows the nose; the pine dominates but all of the hop flavors mentioned in the smell are there in the taste. The bready/caramel malt backbone is also consistent throughout.

Wow, the only thing stopping me from giving this a 5 is that it is hard to say anything is perfect, especially since IPA's vary so much but this about as close to perfect an IPA that I have had; try it!

4.71/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Deschutes Inversion IPA has a medium, egg shell-colored head, thick lacing left behind, and a brilliant orange appearance, with a few bubble streams. The aroma is of rich citrus fruit and sweet white bread, and the flavor is of strongly bitter, floral hops, sweet citrus, slight citrus peel, white bread, and white bread crust. Mouthfeel is medium, and Deschutes Inversion IPA finishes mostly dry, fairly refreshing, quite drinkable, and most delicious. Overall, this is just a fabulous beer!

RJT

4.71/5  rDev +21.1%

Appearance: pours with a nice, lumpy white head; opaque dark amber-orange in color.

Smell: hop forward.

Taste: deliciously hoppy. Quite bitter, with lots of pine and some citrus notes, balanced by some nice maltiness.

Mouth Feel: a bit chewy; medium bodied and decently carbonated.

Overall: an excellent IPA, one of my favorites so far.

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Love the amount of hops in it. I get it every time I see it on tap.

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark caramel color with a tan head. The head quickly disperses, which earns points with me.
Caramel, citrus aroma.
This is a totally delicious IPA. It has the perfect balance of sweet to bitter, with all the big flavors you expect. The ample caramel sweetness would make this beer a good one for the "hop curious" beer hound to try.
At 6.8%, this beer invited me to have a few right away, then bask in the glory of a nice alky buzz.
Worth every bit of $8.50 per 6 to try, especially if you are an IPA drinker.
BTW, the beer sampled is about 6 months out of date....no big deal here.

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my favorite IPA's from maybe my favorite brewery. Pours a medium dark copper with a 1" head. Huge nose with lots of grapefruit and somewhat less orange. Very complex and well balanced - Deschutes has dry hopping down to a fine art. At 6.8% there is the expected defined alcohol warming - just as it should be with a big IPA. Very drinkable for 80 IBU with a note of carmel and a very subtle malt aftertaste. Exactly what I look for in an everyday beer - very hoppy but not so over-the-top that you can't drink 4 or 5 in one sitting. I'm happy to report I just loaded a 13.2 gallon keg of this into my man cave!!

4.63/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is one of my go to IPAs. Sipping one of these at their brewpub while hitch hiking through Bend was a highlight for me as a beer drinker. This was the beer in fact that got me into IPAs in the first place. Drink up! And do visit the brewpub if youre ever in or near Bend!

4.61/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark amber. Minimal lacing. Thin cream head. Smells of alcohol and some pine notes with a slight citrus. Tastes really good. Ha ha more objectively, tastes of grapefruit, pine, lemon, and something else...ends bitter and alcoholic, but not so hoppy. Overall, a really good brew, unique too. Something i would recommend although slightly boozey.

4.61/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a clear, dark, burnished amber with a frothy, thick head. It retains nicely and laces like a champion. Top makes here.

It smells like caramel candy, almost like milk chocolate, with a lot of sweet juicy grapefruit and an abundance of citrus notes. It is beyond inviting.

And the taste, wow, I am going to steal from the label description and use soft caramel, because it really is a nice, well rounded caramel up against a piney bitterness, and talk about balance. It's juicy, and again, that caramel is just spot on. The hops are citrusy and linger in the finish beautifully.

The mouthfeel is full and creamy and wonderful.

Probably the third best IPA I have ever had. This beer is fantastic.

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

Glass - Pint

A - Slightly clouded copper/orange with a 1-2 finger head, retention was great and left broken but decent lace. Inviting & fresh looking.

S - Typical American IPA aroma's here, a little dry leaning more on the fruity side than the pine/citrus side. Aroma isn't big or pungent, some soft caramel & biscuit, alcohol, and a bigger caramel and candied/sugar aroma as it warms.

T - Definitely better & more complex than the smell lead me to believe! Soft layers of caramel, molasses, candied date, ginger, and biscuit unfold on the tongue. A bit of citrus in the center somewhere, finishes bitter but lighter for IPA's, pretty sweet overall but not sugary, well balanced and very delicious! As it warmed I got more candied fruits & molasses, as well as some warming alcohol.

M - Very smooth and around full bodied, lite-moderate crispness & only a touch of that oily feel.

D - This beer was different than what I expected, Ive never had anything like this one actually. I loved the layers of flavors & the outstanding balance of the flavor profile. I could easily enjoy 3pints of more of this delicious brew, It's not overly bitter & not to sweet either, making this one of the easiest drinking IPA's Ive ever had! This ones somewhere on the top of my list for IPA's! Definitely worth seeking out. Cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured at 45 degrees into a snifter. Two finger widths of off white egg shell colored head that dissipated fairly quickly. Small ring of lacing that leaves moderate spiderweb lacing all the way down. Very dark for an IPA. Ruby red when held to the light and amber when not.

Smells fantastic. Like grapefruit and oranges with some background caramel and toast. Melds together really well and has some lingering cherry.

I've finally been able to understand what I like in an IPA and I am starting to appreciate ones that offer up more than just skewed hops. This is a perfect example of an extraordinarily complex IPA. Starts out caramel on the front of the tongue, with some toasty roasty sugars and even hints of marshmallow. As I begin to swirl it around I'm getting some acidity in the form of tangy citrus and grapefruit, and even some tropical fruits including some pineapple. Let's not forget the earthy herbal characteristics either, I do get some sage as someone else has suggested. On the swallow I get cherries followed by some raw grains and general bitterness that lingers on far after the swallow. Unlike no other IPA I've had in this category which gives it some extra points.

Deschutes nails mouthfeel every time, I can't think of a better company when it comes to consistency in this department. It comes in fairly smooth, but then tiny bubbles massage the tongue and the beer becomes more chewy as those bubbles dissolve.

Drinkability is also good, the cherry finish melds well with the rest of the flavors so it doesn't really seem boozy. You'd think the raw bitterness in the aftertaste would hurt the drinkability yet I find myself yearning for more, mouth almost watering to bring the sweetness back into balance.

I'd highly recommend a tulip for this one as I think it brought out some of the more complex qualities that a tumbler could not.

4.57/5  rDev +17.5%

It seems like Deschutes have moved to the first rank of PNW breweries with their ability to make great regular beers then exceed expectations with their special releases. Add a new brewpub in Portland and these guys taking over from what Rogue used to be.

This is a great example of a first class IPA that screams PNW hops but is incredibly drinkable(even more so than Bridgeports IPA). This is a fairly high ABV regular IPA but it shows no heat and the finish is very smooth.

4.56/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a terrific IPA. Pours a nice copper with a thick, frothy head. Smells of citrus and floral hops. It initially tastes rich and smooth with a very malty front and a tasty array of citrusy hops. It leaves a more bitter aftertaste. Perfect amount of carbonation. The beer drinks easily but leaves a great taste in your mouth.

4.55/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

In my pint glass at cellar temperature...

A solid two finger, off-white head builds up (I say solid partially because it's very dense foam) over a glowing dark orange or amber that is quite clear, but has lots of very fine mist-like sediment in it upon close inspection. Very pretty lacing, I might add.

Its aroma is very nicely filled with orange and orange zest, honey, caramel, some dank hops, and what I swear is a tiny touch of vanilla. Kind of a herbal flowery smell, overall. Very nice!

Fantastic flavor in this one. Honey and citrus transition to pine, and then to a simply dreamy finish of sweet, bready malt complimented by a laid back, but very noticeable dank, astringent hop bitterness that lingers.

I have to say that the body is pretty darn full for a standard IPA. And it coats my mouth, with an aftertaste that sticks around forever. Almost imperial in character. Impressive.

This IPA has left a huge impression on me. It veritably gushes with hop dankness.

4.54/5  rDev +16.7%

The beer dispenses from the 12-ounce brown bottle a blurred orange-brown with a stupendous frothy light tan head, a magnificent crown to the body, after is slow demise, the resultant lace forms a tight skirt upon the glass. Noticed some little fernies floating in the beer also, yum I love that stuff. Nose has a magnificent hop floral aroma citrus like in its crispness, sweet malt, and fresh and mouthwatering this nose, start is sweet at the front, the grain profile perfection, and the top middling in its feel. Finish has a pleasing acidity, the hops, wham, they snap your taste buds to attention, with the aftertaste long and lingering, a real treat this beer, from one of the world’s best breweries, and a long time top five brewery in my book.

4.52/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Got a sixpack of this from the liquor store. Deschutes has been mentioned several times in podcasts that I listen to, so I grabbed this when I saw it.

Appearance is a clear amber, much darker than I usually see in an IPA. Has a nice, fine, lingering head.

Nice hoppy scent with hints of citrus.

I really like the balance of hops and malts in this beer. There's plenty of bitter and citrus hops here, but it's also balanced with the caramel sweetness of the malt.

Overall, this might be my new favorite IPA.

4.51/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter. One finger beige head, fades into medium collar somewhat quickly. Reddish-amber in color but can still see through. Citrusy and flowery hops on nose as well as hints of strawberry. Pine has small accompaniment. Pine much more prevalent on tongue, with a pleasant light bitterness. Tasting notes of clementine, dates, and cinnamon, but all faint. Good body with medium-lighter carbonation with a pleasant, lightly syrupy feel. I can't think of anything negative to criticize here. I love the feel and subtle fruit characteristics both in nose and tongue that I feel many IPAs miss or dont even aim for. I will this one of my top 10 go-to IPAs.

Inversion IPA from Deschutes Brewery