Inversion IPA - Deschutes Brewery

Beer added by: Jason on 03-22-2006

Alc. by Vol.: 6.8%
IBUs: 80

228 calories per 12 oz serving
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Inversion IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,724 | Reviews: 807
1.76/5  rDev -54.8%

What can I say? There is many things I cannot stand about this beer. Firstly, the malt profile is astringent and very bitter. I just doesn't work for me. From a brewery that's usually top notch, this is a lackluster effort that tastes out of sink, and is not terribly drinkable.

2.28/5  rDev -41.4%

Inversion has a sharp hops taste which attacks your tastebuds with a vengeance. Your eyes squeeze shut as you wince and cock your head to one side, thinking the action will help make the flavor pass. Your palate will beg for cleansing, as the flavor will stay with you for many hours. This is a beer which takes a lot of effort to finish.

Bad for: drinking
Good for: boiling brats

2.36/5  rDev -39.3%

This beer is really bad. Why is it ranked so high?

2.44/5  rDev -37.3%

Deep amber color, yellowish head of a solid finger. Lace is nice.

Aroma is....well, it's not bad, but it's 110% off. There's big buttery aromas, malt sweetness, nuttiness. I'm getting a "not so fresh" feeling.

The taste is bitter. Nicely actually. But, it's not hoppy. There's faint citrus notes, but it mostly hits on some maltier notes.

The feel is good' crisp, slick, oily, and medium in bodied.

Drink isn't great. I'd love to try this and be ensured it's fresh. It's still drinkable and it's not bad...but it's completely off for the style and I have to rate it as such.

2.51/5  rDev -35.5%

A= The pour reveils a lovely deep amber color with a huge head on it. The head rises to about three fingers and holds some pretty steady retention on it. It's an off white color.

S= The smell is really light. Much lighter than your average IPA. You do get some hop character to it but not much. Much less hop character than I would expect. There is an underlying clean sort of sweetness to the smell.

T= The taste is also much different than the average IPA. It has a much more prominent hop taste than the smell but the hops taste very medicinal to me for some reason. A lot like some sort of cough syrup that is extremely bitter. There is still the underlying sweetness to it as well but the medicinal taste dominates.

M= A little high on the carbonation and a little too spritzy on the tongue for my taste.

D= Not a bad beer but I would say this is my first dissapointment from deschutes. Not the best IPA for my money

2.68/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

A little too bitter at the end for me.

2.68/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A_Pours a dark amber with a splotchy light head.

S_Slightly toasted bread and caramel are the dominant smells with a vague hop like background odour. Fairly mild but inoffensive.

T_A light sweet caramel malt hits up front. The middle is kind of empty while the finish is generic hop bitterness.

M_Thin bodied with a light carbonation

D_A somewhat empty IPA in flavour and body. There really isn't much to it. This ends up being a vehicle for a bitter aftertaste without good hop flavour.

2.71/5  rDev -30.3%

A: An attractive deep reddish copper color. Moderately clear with a medium to long lasting 1.5" fluffy, cream colored head with nice , moderate lacing.

S: Slight sticky pine smell with a faint citrus. Moderately noticeable alcohol.

T: A slight sweetness with a light piny bitter finish.

M: Sticky smooth with a medium body and moderate carbonation.

D: Though this is a good looking beer with a smooth feel ,I kept finding myself turn to words like slight, moderate and light to modify descriptions. The "Inversion" seems to have left left this sweeter than average, lightly bitter IPA with a moderate to average flavor profile. While very drinkable I don't think I'll be seeking this one out in the future.

2.74/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was really looking forward to this beer, the appearance was clean and highly carbonated; promising a great throat burn. A full glass of IPA always excites me as I anticipate a strong snout of herbal hops OR/AND the aftertaste of hops slapping your face like the Three Stooges. I got neither. I consummed the three bottles I had of it while mulling over the paradox of: an IPA without noticeable hops. By the third bottle I was obviously more forgiving - but in the end I would place this in the category of a nice "Belgian Ale".

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

Second time I've reviewed this one. First review was a bottle. This one is cask conditioned, served in a pint glass at the Elk Public House in Spokane.

Pours a red mahogany brown color. Nice foamy white head is fairly resilient.

Smell is sweet and sharp. Bourbon-like.

Taste is very bitter and hoppy with a lot of alcohol taste and heat.

Mouthfeel is sharp and a bit cloying.

Not the most drinkable IPA in this form. One of few beers I have found that is better in a bottle than in cask. I'll buy it in a sixer and pass on the cask.

2.8/5  rDev -28%

I'll preface this review by saying that I am not an IPA fan in the least. I will try them on occasion when forced, and this was the case with the Deschutes Inversion IPA.

Appearance - Could not tell the appearance from the beer, as I did not have a glass to pour the bottle into.

Smell - Very hoppy smell, normal for IPAs that I've had. Also smells very robust in terms of grains and yeast

Taste - The robust smell was a clue to the taste of the beer: very earthy tones coupled with a more-than-moderate hop flavor. Actually less hoppy than I expected.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel resembles that of a lager, which is light and crisp in taste. Goes down smoother than most IPAs I've had, which helps redeem some of the traditional IPA qualities.

Overall - Not bad at all for an IPA. It is mild in hoppy flavor and easy to down quickly, which gives it some qualities that resemble a lager.

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

I got this bottle from Whitebricke -- It is odd to say, but I'm proud of this guy. He came to me as a complete newbie, and as it turns out, he is a fantasticly generous trader that was very open to tips and ideas. The box he sent me demonstrates just how right I was about him-- thanks for a great trade, Ted!

Pours a deep orangey copper color. A little darker than the Red Chair pale ale. Toffee colored head of 2 fingers that settled quickly leaving a wisp of bubbles and some spotty lacing.

The smell, no surprise, is malty. I could have guessed by the color. I was really expecting Deschutes to be a real hoppy brewery-- and they certainly use plenty of them, but so far, their beers strike me as being really-well balanced. Lots of malts and lots of hops. This one is good-- I'm enjoying it quite a bit-- but it isn't what I was really expecting. I actually wanted a big old west coast hop bomb.

Sweet caramel malt with .... umm... lots and lots of sweet malts. The smell and the taste pickup the same malts-- nothing really hiding in this beer. The hops profile kicks in with some grapefruit and nondescript orange notes. Good bitterness on the backend.

This is a really drinkable IPA-- the balance and milder hop profile makes this one I could drink several of (if it weren't nearly 7%)! Tons of carbonation in this beer, which works well with the body being right about medium.

Overall-- this is a good IPA. It isn't in my top 5 list, but this is a good beer. This would be in the same category as Lagunitas IPA for me-- not going to blow some one's mind, but not going to be an unpleasant experience either. This would certainly one that I would pick up a six-pack every few weeks (or months) and enjoy at various times of the year or with various foods etc. This is a very versatile beer.

---edit-02.02.11---
Bottle dated "best before 03.12.2011."
Wow. This is sooo disappointing to revisit. I picked up a single in MN to see what I thought about it now... Won't get it again. The beer is way too malty. Sweet caramel and bready malts. The hops are weak. Very weak. Apricot and grapefruit notes mainly.
This is really just an average offering from a great brewery.

2.88/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This IPA poured as a dark golden trending towards amber. And if you know Ambyr you know that ain't all bad. The head on it (the beer, not Ambyr) was firm and looked like dirty straw. This IPA has a good flowery smell that you expect from an IPA. The taste was very grassy - or maybe that was because i had just finished mowing the lawn. The bitterness stayed a bit too long for my taste so i marked this down on the feel and on taste.

2.88/5  rDev -26%

A: Medium orange auburn color with some cloudiness. Medium sized head of copper foam, with a medium level of carbonation. Nice lacing.

S: Very citrusy. Lots of oranges, sweet grapefruits, and a powerful floral hop aroma with hints of pine cones.

T: Hoppy flavor gives way to a floral soapy flavor. Mild malt character is present yet subdued. The soapy flavor is totally out of place and kills the beer's flavors.

M: Light and smooth. Not a lot of carbonation on the palate. Somewhat refreshing.

D: Not quite up to par. The overwhelming astringent flavors really screw this one up. Otherwise, it's not too bad.

Notes: I've got another bottle on hand, which i'll compare this sample to. If it differs greatly, i'll re-review. Special thanks to KingG for the sample.

2.9/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Look: straight up red, with a solid white head that disappeared within a minute or two.
Smell: big malt, big harsh grapefruit
Taste: again bit malt, almost too big, which is only countered by huge sharp bitterness. I've had bigger IBU beers much better that this one, it seems to try to push malt and bitterness both to the forefront without balancing much.
Feel: low/medium carbonation
Overall: had two of these the other night, and had trouble finishing the second one. Just so aggressive without giving anything tasty enough to balance it with

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

Served in my SA Sensory pint. Best by 11/7/08 stamped on the bottle. Poured a translucent copper-red with a one inch off-white head that quickly lost cohesion before eventually settling into a broken cap of foam and ringlets. Some spotty lacing present during the tasting. Floral hops and grapefruit evident in the nose. Taste consistent with nose, but grapefruit flavor is amplified, leaving a lingering bitterness between quaffs. Mouthfeel is light and also a little creamy; effervescence nicely balances out the mouthfeel. A little too bitter and astringent for my palate; however, I have to confess that IPAs are not my style of choice.

2.99/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a rather dark amber color with a two finger white head and light lacing. Lots of yeasties floating around in the glass, not much carbonation. Aroma is somewhat malty up front, but not sweet, more bready, toasty, and dry than anything else. Might be some light caramel back there, and hops are surprisingly low key considering this is an IPA, but what hops I do manage to get out of the smell are lightly piny. Hmm, this beer is hard to judge. It really has no IPA qualities to me. This tastes like an American Amber/Red Ale rather than IPA. It's very malty, again with the toast and bread, some light caramel, but not overly sweet. Hops are way in the background, and like the nose they largely consist of pine flavors, some herbaceous tinges, some citrus, with a short supply of bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium with very low carbonation. I don't get it. How is this an IPA? Where are the hops? Best before date is 10/5/10, so I know it's not super old. I'm sort of baffled. It's a good tasting beer, but nothing that i look for in an IPA. Review scores reflect style rather than overall taste.

it's an ok ipa, too much malt not enough bitter bite for me. mild cat pee aroma.

Aroma: Floral, resinous, citrus and slight caramel notes.

Appearance: The beer pours dark copper, clear and has a creamy off white head that persists.

Flavor: Bitter with caramel malt back bone.

Mouth Feel: The beer has medium body with a semi-dry finish and leaves mild tingle on the tongue.

Overall Impression: The bitterness is prominent, while the hops aroma and flavor is not; a solid IPA worth drinking

There must be a huge market for super avg malty IPAs less than 7% Abv. 'Cause every beer in my wegmans mixed sixer fits that bill exactly. Does anyone really like this shit? Hate to be a prick, but...

Best By date is about 6 weeks from now.

A: Crystal clear. Color is dark copper to light brown. Thick creamy head that leaves lacing with each sip.

S: Malty more than hops. Mostly pine and dank aromas. Minimal citrus.

T: Piney and resinous. Sweet. Very malt forward for an IPA. The beer offers complexity as the flavor changes from sweet, to floral, to a lingering bitter finish.

M: Thick, sweet and resinous. Carbonation is middle of the road for an IPA.

O: It's okay, but it's a little syrupy for my IPA tastes. Also I think the hop flavor, while quite present, is 1-dimensional.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Decidedly amber in color with a mountainous eggnog head. Lots of hops but lots of crystal malt in the aroma as well. Apples, grapefruit, caramel and iced tea. Flavor is the same but less hoppy. Tastes like malt and hop flavored iced tea. Crystal malt sucks in hoppy beers.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This beer is in the vallhalla of IPAs. It kind of blends in with the pavement.

3.02/5  rDev -22.4%

Paid $7.39 for a 6 pack from BevMo in in Willow Glen, CA. Poured into a pint glass.

1.5 inch light tan head after an aggressive pour. Head dissipates slowly while lacing lasts even after the beer is gone. Light carbonation. Rather transparent, lighter amber orange color. One finger white head with little carbonation visually present.

Smell is somewhat mild. Hoppy with citrus tones. Nothing extraordinary.

Tastes better than it smells. A nice balance of malts and hops. Not as hoppy as I expected, but the bitterness does last for a little while.

Mouthfeel varies from what I'd expect from appearance. More of a full to medium body, even a little grainy. Lighter carbonation.

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

A: Pours a ruby, amber color with decent head.

S: I smell more sweet malts than hops. It isn't anything special or noteworthy.

T: Lots of sweet malt here: caramel, burnt toast, and a very earthy bitterness mixed in somewhere. I would say that this is a very mild IPA, and meant to be an easy drinker. But it's really not all that tastey or interesting. I would say that "Inversion" inverts the hops and makes the malts the star, but the malt is the understudy.

M: Medium carbonation, and even without much hops on the taste, the hops still manage to linger for quite a while on the tongue, as does the aftertaste of the malts.

O: Hey, it's a decent beer. I would take a bottle of this over BMC or other crap any day. But I expect more out of IPAs, and I could compile quite a list of IPAs I'd buy again before this one.

Inversion IPA from Deschutes Brewery