1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Inversion IPA - Deschutes Brewery

Inversion IPAInversion IPA

Ratings: 1995

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Alc. by Vol.: 6.8%
IBUs: 80

228 calories per 12 oz serving

(Beer added by: Jason on 03-22-2006)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Inversion IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,995 | Reviews: 731 | Show All Ratings:
nige4958

1.65/5  rDev -57.7%

What can I say? There is many things I cannot stand about this beer. Firstly, the malt profile is astringent and very bitter. I just doesn't work for me. From a brewery that's usually top notch, this is a lackluster effort that tastes out of sink, and is not terribly drinkable.

11-01-2008 20:13:47 | More by nige4958
thomasrayw

2.25/5  rDev -42.3%

Inversion has a sharp hops taste which attacks your tastebuds with a vengeance. Your eyes squeeze shut as you wince and cock your head to one side, thinking the action will help make the flavor pass. Your palate will beg for cleansing, as the flavor will stay with you for many hours. This is a beer which takes a lot of effort to finish.

Bad for: drinking
Good for: boiling brats

08-25-2011 02:12:26 | More by thomasrayw
jjanega08

2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

A= The pour reveils a lovely deep amber color with a huge head on it. The head rises to about three fingers and holds some pretty steady retention on it. It's an off white color.

S= The smell is really light. Much lighter than your average IPA. You do get some hop character to it but not much. Much less hop character than I would expect. There is an underlying clean sort of sweetness to the smell.

T= The taste is also much different than the average IPA. It has a much more prominent hop taste than the smell but the hops taste very medicinal to me for some reason. A lot like some sort of cough syrup that is extremely bitter. There is still the underlying sweetness to it as well but the medicinal taste dominates.

M= A little high on the carbonation and a little too spritzy on the tongue for my taste.

D= Not a bad beer but I would say this is my first dissapointment from deschutes. Not the best IPA for my money

09-21-2010 04:35:42 | More by jjanega08
EgadBananas

Louisiana

2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

Deep amber color, yellowish head of a solid finger. Lace is nice.

Aroma is....well, it's not bad, but it's 110% off. There's big buttery aromas, malt sweetness, nuttiness. I'm getting a "not so fresh" feeling.

The taste is bitter. Nicely actually. But, it's not hoppy. There's faint citrus notes, but it mostly hits on some maltier notes.

The feel is good' crisp, slick, oily, and medium in bodied.

Drink isn't great. I'd love to try this and be ensured it's fresh. It's still drinkable and it's not bad...but it's completely off for the style and I have to rate it as such.

05-15-2011 04:42:58 | More by EgadBananas
sleazo

2.65/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A_Pours a dark amber with a splotchy light head.

S_Slightly toasted bread and caramel are the dominant smells with a vague hop like background odour. Fairly mild but inoffensive.

T_A light sweet caramel malt hits up front. The middle is kind of empty while the finish is generic hop bitterness.

M_Thin bodied with a light carbonation

D_A somewhat empty IPA in flavour and body. There really isn't much to it. This ends up being a vehicle for a bitter aftertaste without good hop flavour.

07-30-2009 05:42:55 | More by sleazo
RJLarse

Washington

2.7/5  rDev -30.8%

Second time I've reviewed this one. First review was a bottle. This one is cask conditioned, served in a pint glass at the Elk Public House in Spokane.

Pours a red mahogany brown color. Nice foamy white head is fairly resilient.

Smell is sweet and sharp. Bourbon-like.

Taste is very bitter and hoppy with a lot of alcohol taste and heat.

Mouthfeel is sharp and a bit cloying.

Not the most drinkable IPA in this form. One of few beers I have found that is better in a bottle than in cask. I'll buy it in a sixer and pass on the cask.

Serving type: cask

06-18-2007 05:57:59 | More by RJLarse
abastias

Tennessee

2.7/5  rDev -30.8%

A: An attractive deep reddish copper color. Moderately clear with a medium to long lasting 1.5" fluffy, cream colored head with nice , moderate lacing.

S: Slight sticky pine smell with a faint citrus. Moderately noticeable alcohol.

T: A slight sweetness with a light piny bitter finish.

M: Sticky smooth with a medium body and moderate carbonation.

D: Though this is a good looking beer with a smooth feel ,I kept finding myself turn to words like slight, moderate and light to modify descriptions. The "Inversion" seems to have left left this sweeter than average, lightly bitter IPA with a moderate to average flavor profile. While very drinkable I don't think I'll be seeking this one out in the future.

05-22-2010 23:45:40 | More by abastias
GoldHorde

2.7/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was really looking forward to this beer, the appearance was clean and highly carbonated; promising a great throat burn. A full glass of IPA always excites me as I anticipate a strong snout of herbal hops OR/AND the aftertaste of hops slapping your face like the Three Stooges. I got neither. I consummed the three bottles I had of it while mulling over the paradox of: an IPA without noticeable hops. By the third bottle I was obviously more forgiving - but in the end I would place this in the category of a nice "Belgian Ale".

09-19-2012 04:05:01 | More by GoldHorde
darinwmoore

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

I'll preface this review by saying that I am not an IPA fan in the least. I will try them on occasion when forced, and this was the case with the Deschutes Inversion IPA.

Appearance - Could not tell the appearance from the beer, as I did not have a glass to pour the bottle into.

Smell - Very hoppy smell, normal for IPAs that I've had. Also smells very robust in terms of grains and yeast

Taste - The robust smell was a clue to the taste of the beer: very earthy tones coupled with a more-than-moderate hop flavor. Actually less hoppy than I expected.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel resembles that of a lager, which is light and crisp in taste. Goes down smoother than most IPAs I've had, which helps redeem some of the traditional IPA qualities.

Overall - Not bad at all for an IPA. It is mild in hoppy flavor and easy to down quickly, which gives it some qualities that resemble a lager.

04-20-2012 18:49:53 | More by darinwmoore
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

I got this in box from UngerTaker, thanks! Dated best by 9.13.11 so I popped this open right away. Poured into tulip and reviewed from notes...

A- Dark amber in color with an inch of a foamy off white tanish head. Head dies very quickly but leaves some decent lacing to be remembered by.

S- Hops come off soapy. Citrus and tiny bit of pine in there, otherwise fairly malty with a strong doughy, honey aroma.

T/M- Bitterness is definitely where I like it, but flavor fails to deliver. I get mostly pine (which I tend to dislike comparatively) with a touch of grapefruit. Again, malt backbone comes through with honey and graham cracker. Carbonation is minimal, leaving this slick and oily. I like my IPAs more lively on the palate.

O- Though this is still within best by date, this would be a little better more fresh (obviously). Seems like it has some decent components, but its forgettable and more importantly I just gravitate towards the more citrus/fruity IPAs...

09-11-2011 23:36:31 | More by TheGordianKnot
Frozensoul327

2.83/5  rDev -27.4%

A: Medium orange auburn color with some cloudiness. Medium sized head of copper foam, with a medium level of carbonation. Nice lacing.

S: Very citrusy. Lots of oranges, sweet grapefruits, and a powerful floral hop aroma with hints of pine cones.

T: Hoppy flavor gives way to a floral soapy flavor. Mild malt character is present yet subdued. The soapy flavor is totally out of place and kills the beer's flavors.

M: Light and smooth. Not a lot of carbonation on the palate. Somewhat refreshing.

D: Not quite up to par. The overwhelming astringent flavors really screw this one up. Otherwise, it's not too bad.

Notes: I've got another bottle on hand, which i'll compare this sample to. If it differs greatly, i'll re-review. Special thanks to KingG for the sample.

01-25-2007 02:50:00 | More by Frozensoul327
AleWatcher

2.85/5  rDev -26.9%

I got this bottle from Whitebricke -- It is odd to say, but I'm proud of this guy. He came to me as a complete newbie, and as it turns out, he is a fantasticly generous trader that was very open to tips and ideas. The box he sent me demonstrates just how right I was about him-- thanks for a great trade, Ted!

Pours a deep orangey copper color. A little darker than the Red Chair pale ale. Toffee colored head of 2 fingers that settled quickly leaving a wisp of bubbles and some spotty lacing.

The smell, no surprise, is malty. I could have guessed by the color. I was really expecting Deschutes to be a real hoppy brewery-- and they certainly use plenty of them, but so far, their beers strike me as being really-well balanced. Lots of malts and lots of hops. This one is good-- I'm enjoying it quite a bit-- but it isn't what I was really expecting. I actually wanted a big old west coast hop bomb.

Sweet caramel malt with .... umm... lots and lots of sweet malts. The smell and the taste pickup the same malts-- nothing really hiding in this beer. The hops profile kicks in with some grapefruit and nondescript orange notes. Good bitterness on the backend.

This is a really drinkable IPA-- the balance and milder hop profile makes this one I could drink several of (if it weren't nearly 7%)! Tons of carbonation in this beer, which works well with the body being right about medium.

Overall-- this is a good IPA. It isn't in my top 5 list, but this is a good beer. This would be in the same category as Lagunitas IPA for me-- not going to blow some one's mind, but not going to be an unpleasant experience either. This would certainly one that I would pick up a six-pack every few weeks (or months) and enjoy at various times of the year or with various foods etc. This is a very versatile beer.

---edit-02.02.11---
Bottle dated "best before 03.12.2011."
Wow. This is sooo disappointing to revisit. I picked up a single in MN to see what I thought about it now... Won't get it again. The beer is way too malty. Sweet caramel and bready malts. The hops are weak. Very weak. Apricot and grapefruit notes mainly.
This is really just an average offering from a great brewery.

08-16-2010 04:25:23 | More by AleWatcher
Jwale73

Rhode Island

2.93/5  rDev -24.9%

Served in my SA Sensory pint. Best by 11/7/08 stamped on the bottle. Poured a translucent copper-red with a one inch off-white head that quickly lost cohesion before eventually settling into a broken cap of foam and ringlets. Some spotty lacing present during the tasting. Floral hops and grapefruit evident in the nose. Taste consistent with nose, but grapefruit flavor is amplified, leaving a lingering bitterness between quaffs. Mouthfeel is light and also a little creamy; effervescence nicely balances out the mouthfeel. A little too bitter and astringent for my palate; however, I have to confess that IPAs are not my style of choice.

08-05-2008 23:36:48 | More by Jwale73
illidurit

2.95/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Decidedly amber in color with a mountainous eggnog head. Lots of hops but lots of crystal malt in the aroma as well. Apples, grapefruit, caramel and iced tea. Flavor is the same but less hoppy. Tastes like malt and hop flavored iced tea. Crystal malt sucks in hoppy beers.

02-25-2012 06:06:11 | More by illidurit
KeefD

2.98/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours a rather dark amber color with a two finger white head and light lacing. Lots of yeasties floating around in the glass, not much carbonation. Aroma is somewhat malty up front, but not sweet, more bready, toasty, and dry than anything else. Might be some light caramel back there, and hops are surprisingly low key considering this is an IPA, but what hops I do manage to get out of the smell are lightly piny. Hmm, this beer is hard to judge. It really has no IPA qualities to me. This tastes like an American Amber/Red Ale rather than IPA. It's very malty, again with the toast and bread, some light caramel, but not overly sweet. Hops are way in the background, and like the nose they largely consist of pine flavors, some herbaceous tinges, some citrus, with a short supply of bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium with very low carbonation. I don't get it. How is this an IPA? Where are the hops? Best before date is 10/5/10, so I know it's not super old. I'm sort of baffled. It's a good tasting beer, but nothing that i look for in an IPA. Review scores reflect style rather than overall taste.

07-24-2010 21:41:57 | More by KeefD
schematix

Missouri

2.99/5  rDev -23.3%

Best By date is about 6 weeks from now.

A: Crystal clear. Color is dark copper to light brown. Thick creamy head that leaves lacing with each sip.

S: Malty more than hops. Mostly pine and dank aromas. Minimal citrus.

T: Piney and resinous. Sweet. Very malt forward for an IPA. The beer offers complexity as the flavor changes from sweet, to floral, to a lingering bitter finish.

M: Thick, sweet and resinous. Carbonation is middle of the road for an IPA.

O: It's okay, but it's a little syrupy for my IPA tastes. Also I think the hop flavor, while quite present, is 1-dimensional.

01-10-2014 02:41:48 | More by schematix
Birmingham

Kansas

Aroma: Floral, resinous, citrus and slight caramel notes.

Appearance: The beer pours dark copper, clear and has a creamy off white head that persists.

Flavor: Bitter with caramel malt back bone.

Mouth Feel: The beer has medium body with a semi-dry finish and leaves mild tingle on the tongue.

Overall Impression: The bitterness is prominent, while the hops aroma and flavor is not; a solid IPA worth drinking

04-30-2009 23:20:42 | More by Birmingham
Tupperwolf

Washington

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

Received from the tap at Peaks Pub in Port Angeles Wa. Review from notes on a coaster from about 1/2 hour ago.

Clear, slightly mahogany dark amber; Slow, dispersed rising bubbles and a slightly yellowish head formed at one inch. It soon falls with my sipping and leaves behind individual rings of lacing that mark my draughts at the glass.

The scent is hops, grapefruity with a very large grassiness - the scent is indeed hop dominated, as any good IPA should be, and it's extremely bitter. There are very slight malt tendencies, if you really feel like looking for them, but hops are the mainstay.

The taste fills the mouth in a one-two punch - first one flavor, then the next. The immediate sensation on the tongue is sweet, slightly syrupy, damn near toothache-inducing malts - which are suddenly passed over by big oily hops which are very, very bitter. They are slight grass, slight citrus, lots of pineapple - but overall, bitter.

Medium body, somewhat oily and simultaneously somewhat carbonated, a little fluffiness on the tongue - smooth, slightly tart, and a dry, bitter finish.

Final thoughts - I love hops as much as anyone, but I found that the fruity bodies of the hops in this beer transitioned to mouth-puckering bitterness a bit too quickly. YMMV.

03-28-2006 04:40:51 | More by Tupperwolf
ibbjamin

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

Paid $7.39 for a 6 pack from BevMo in in Willow Glen, CA. Poured into a pint glass.

1.5 inch light tan head after an aggressive pour. Head dissipates slowly while lacing lasts even after the beer is gone. Light carbonation. Rather transparent, lighter amber orange color. One finger white head with little carbonation visually present.

Smell is somewhat mild. Hoppy with citrus tones. Nothing extraordinary.

Tastes better than it smells. A nice balance of malts and hops. Not as hoppy as I expected, but the bitterness does last for a little while.

Mouthfeel varies from what I'd expect from appearance. More of a full to medium body, even a little grainy. Lighter carbonation.

05-14-2008 01:19:01 | More by ibbjamin
ZenAgnostic

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

Appearance - Clear medium amber body with a strange almost yellowish head?

Smell - Typical grassy IPA notes with a hint of malty sweetness.

Taste - Tastes a lot like an ESB. Does not seem like an IPA at all...

Mouthfeel - Clean and refreshing. Could use more carbonation.

Overall Drinkability - Good beer but not very balanced. Strong aftertastes that lasts too long sort of kills it.

05-01-2011 00:21:23 | More by ZenAgnostic
fox227

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

A: Pours a ruby, amber color with decent head.

S: I smell more sweet malts than hops. It isn't anything special or noteworthy.

T: Lots of sweet malt here: caramel, burnt toast, and a very earthy bitterness mixed in somewhere. I would say that this is a very mild IPA, and meant to be an easy drinker. But it's really not all that tastey or interesting. I would say that "Inversion" inverts the hops and makes the malts the star, but the malt is the understudy.

M: Medium carbonation, and even without much hops on the taste, the hops still manage to linger for quite a while on the tongue, as does the aftertaste of the malts.

O: Hey, it's a decent beer. I would take a bottle of this over BMC or other crap any day. But I expect more out of IPAs, and I could compile quite a list of IPAs I'd buy again before this one.

05-13-2011 23:47:09 | More by fox227
PeatReek

3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

Amber / copper body with a thick creamy head, settles a bit after a few minutes but leaves a nice lace. Smells deeply sweet, caramel/bready with citrusy and earthy hops. Aroma is deliciously balanced. The sweetness comes through huge in the taste, though, along with a heavy, syrupy mouthfeel. Hop taste is a bit dirty and bitter, definitely sour grapefruity but not a lot else going on. A bit too sour and bitter to drink very many.

05-30-2006 07:47:48 | More by PeatReek
LilBeerDoctor

3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

Bottle. Pours a deep cloudy orange with a small foamy white head. Aroma is quite malty with raisins and slight bitter hops. Flavor is sweet and malty with floral hops in the finish. Harsh palate. Too malty for an IPA for my tastes.
6/4/6/3/14 (3.3/5)

01-02-2009 19:17:40 | More by LilBeerDoctor
BillyB

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a deep amber to almost burnt copper color with an inch of off-white to tannish head. Slight sticky lacing on the glass.

Dark roasted, burnt, sweet malt aromas. Slightly citrusy almost tangy hop aroma.

Lot's of deep rich roasted malt taste. Not as bitter as I expected. More malty sweetness. This beer is surprisingly balanced for an IPA. It is unexpected.

Medium bodied with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Good drinkability.

03-25-2007 18:07:29 | More by BillyB
TheAlamoWrocker

3.13/5  rDev -19.7%

Reviewed November 14th 2011. Poured a 12 oz bottle, best by 05/17/11, into a Blue Star Brewery Pint glass. I admit this is past it's due date, but it hid in my fridge and I lost track of it.

A: Poured a nice one finger tan creamy head. Carbonation rises pretty strongly to the head, this carbonation sticks to the side and the bottom of the glass. The color was a Sinopia and Rust shades depending on center or edges of glass.
The head and carbonation does settle, but the head remain. Sadly this does not lace.

S: There are some nice citrusy hops. This does not actually seem very strong to me.

T: Not to strong of a taste on intake. Pine is what's tasted strongly towards the end. Grapefruit practically coats the mouth and I'm actually not a fan of it.

M: The body is smooth with surprisingly a high amount of carbonation.

O: Oddly with this aged taste this comes off to me as a Barleywine because of its strong grapefruit taste, but oddly not as strong as one. I do plan on re-reviewing due to this bottles best by date. The hops do age quite well here, but that just goes to show you this drink 6.8% alcohol by volume.
It just seems odd to me that this ages to the taste of a Barleywine. I guess if you enjoy a Grapefruit taste then this isn't a bad choice at all.

11-15-2011 02:41:57 | More by TheAlamoWrocker