Inversion IPA - Deschutes Brewery

Beer added by: Jason on 03-22-2006

Alc. by Vol.: 6.8%
IBUs: 80

228 calories per 12 oz serving
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Inversion IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 788 | Hads: 2,741
3.36/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into St Bernardus chalice.
Copper with lots of bubbles on the side, significant head, and lace.
Aroma of sweet malts and wet cardboard. Bottle states best by 5/28/2013...a few days from now.
Moderate carbonation and mouthfeel.
Flavors of roasty malts, earthy notes, light grassy hops. Overall I'm wondering if we have some oxidation (351 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

Drank from Sam Adams pint glass. Light brown pour, but once in the glass turns more of a medium brown. Good head, and great lacing. Very floral hop aroma. The aroma sort of just hits you in the face. I'm not a big fan of IpA's , but I thought this one was pretty decent. I would probably buy this again. (303 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

A- amber/copper color with a good amount of head. At first, this seems like a Belgian IPA.

S- unfortunately, not much. The hops are present, but not at all strong. More malt than what I like.

T- much like it smells. This is a well balanced beer, as the hops are citrusy and refreshing. beyond that, I get a bit of vanilla which gives this it's balance.

M- I really dig this, since I am used to an IPA having a big kick. Without this, the mouthfeel is much more like a pale ale without that usual bitterness.

O- all Deschutes beers are solid, and this is no different. I am sure I've had this on draught as well, and I remember saying it wasn't much of an IPA, which can be attributes to it's malts and balance overall. (722 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

Bottled. My bro has been hip to this beer for awhile and I simply had not found it....so when i saw it, of course I bought one (didn’t want to buy a 6 of it at the time) now I will. This is a nice IPA.
I'm accustomed to the crisp hops of San Diego type IPA's, this is creamier and malt induced in flavor.
Good beer, I would take it far above other popular beers, yet I'm tainted towards the san diego big bitter hopness. (425 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

A. Pours a dull, medium copper color with a slight haze. The average-sized cream colored head fades to reveal delicate lace clinging to the glass.

S. Floral and citrus hop character flank a sweet, caramel malt base.

T. Bitter, dry, and a bit bready. The malt character is all but buried beneath the hops. I guess hoping for some semblance of balance was too much to ask for.

M. Medium bodied with decent carbonation, but no balance. This is a hoppy beer in both aroma and bitterness, but I found little else.

D. Hops, for the sake of hops. I wanted more. (558 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -14.6%

12oz bottle poured into SA perfect pint.

A- Pours a dark red-orange. Thin head that dissipates quickly but leaves lots of lacing on the side of the glass. Nice color.

S- Pine and citrus. Strong malt aroma as well. Lots of hops and malt.

T- Crisp start typical of an American IPA. Smooth middle. Bitter and sharp on the tongue in the end. Someone else mentioned prickly and that is a perfect word to describe what I am tasting.

M- I like the mouthfeel. Not too full nor too thin.

D- A little too bitter and not as balanced as I would like. The malt makes the color super and makes for good mouthfeel but seems to fight with the hops rather than play nice together when it comes to taste. (692 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

I dunno what the problem is, but I've been noticing more inconsistency with the year round releases from Deschutes. This is a good example of what I'm talking about.

Pours orange, good lacing. Smell, nothing coming across beyond some mild herbalness. For how hoppy the taste can be, it doesn't come across in the aroma. The taste, can be all over the place. Sometimes, it is a delightful astringent bitterness with ample diverse hop quality. Other times, it fades quickly, is replaced with an almost wood and tobacco (maybe they slipped in some oaked tobacco barrels to age it in) denigration of the beer, hence why it suffers in my rating on the last two categories. Maybe these guys are blending not so good batches. Something happened that made this beer not as good as it used to be, but then again, Deschutes has been riding on their past success for a few years now. (874 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

Picked this one up on a recent road trip out west.

A- Bright amber color with a finger of sticky white head. Good lacing and head retention throughout session. Solid appearance, but IPA's rarely fail me in this department.

S- Bitter, floral hops with just a touch of sweet malty backbone. Good balance, but nothing that really wows me. Pretty decent aroma overall.

T- Very bitter with tons of floral hops. Taste is very average with comparison to other IPAs. This style is so well mastered by many breweries now it's hard to find which ones are truly special. Sadly this one is not.

M- Light-medium body, very fizzy.

D- Pretty drinkable, although there are lots of IPA's I'd seek out before getting this one again. I'd like to see a better blend of hops. It was well balanced, I will give it that. (802 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a half finger yellowed tan head over a clooudy dark orange-rust liquid. Smells piney hops with lemon, tangerine and mango.

Tastes not as intense as I was expecting. Tastes piney hops with buttery hop character that I attribute to Amarillo. Oranges, lemon, and dark woody qualities. Alcohol is clean and rises retronasal, carrying hop floral with it. Heavy, like hop oils hanging on the tongue. Malt sweet is supporting of the hop flavor without any distinct flavor (caramel). Fruity esters are present, but add a heaviness. Burps are grassy with flat hop oils.

Md body with some dextrinous thickness and modest carbonation. I found this beer to be 'heavy'. The beer sticks and the hops give a dark character. I'm a fan of grapefruit pithy beers, which sems to come off lighter and flightier, so this beer was hard for me to get into. (845 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -15.1%

Inversion IPA certainly satisfied my hop craving, and had some very interesting flavor notes. However, I found the bitterness to be rather rough - it didn't have a lot of sweetness or other hop esters to balance the bitterness. Aside from the bitterness, I got a significant malt presence from the beer, and as it warmed I got some interesting flavor notes to include bubble gum, which I've not previously gotten from any beer. The beer poured from the bottle a rather bright orange with great sturdy head formation. Aroma was a lot of hop bitterness, with a minimal amount of fruit. Flavor is as I've described above. Mouthfeel is a bit rough, but not unpleasant.

It is a bit hard to rate this beer. I thought it a bit unique among the hundreds of IPAs out there (interesting mouthfeel and flavors), but I found it only slightly above average when it comes to how much I enjoyed it. A nice beer - and I'd recommend it probably more than my numeric ratings would indicate. (973 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.3%

Bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a dark copper orange. One inch of creamy off-white head dissipates gradually, leaving a lot of lacing behind.

S: Light aroma; citrus hop and grahamy malts. A bit underwhelming.

T: Strong alcohol to start into a medium-bitter citrus hop. Alcohol persists into aftertaste, with notes of dry wood.

M: Medium body, smooth mouthfeel. Light carbonation; small bubbles.

D: Not super drinkable due to the strong alcohol taste (and abv). Admittedly disappointing, I am used to really enjoying Deschutes brews. (537 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured into.a standard pint from a bottle. Deep amber with a very nice head. Great layers of lace follow the beer down the glass. A little dark, but the head and retention are impressive.
The smell is light, Some biscuity malts with a citric and herbal hops. Also a slight gym sock finish. The taste isn't bad, follows the smell. The hops seem grassy and citric.
The mouth is a little overcarbonated but not overbearingly so. All in all I'm a fan of Dechutes. This one was ok but not up to the standard I expected from them. You could pass me one at a party but I probably won't go out of my way to buy it. (606 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

Best by 03/08/12

A: Huge head, a lot of lacing. Copper colored, not exactly pale.

S: Grapefruit, pine, resin-y, caramel.

T: Graperuit overload, lots of pine, a bit of dankness. Close to no 'malt backbone' here.

M: A woodsy, dry, very bitter aftertaste lingers long afterwards.

O: A barely average IPA, not enough sweetness to balance out the massive bittering hops. (372 characters)

12oz bottle into pint.
Best By: 10/05/11

Pours orange with light amber hues and a thick frothy off white head.

The aroma is of grapefruit with a fairly balanced backing of biscuit malts.

The flavor is a bit more hoppy then the aroma, though the malts are still quite prominent. There are quick notes of citric hops which quickly turns into caramel and bread malts, with a faint bitter finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with quite active carbonation.

While this is an enjoyable beer, though not too exciting of an IPA. From what I experienced it seems as if it would be better identified as a pale ale. (611 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

Appearance: organgey-brown, slightly hazy, narrow band of light tan sponge, good head retention, lace

Aroma: passion-fruit & pine hop scent, caramel, citrus flowers, tiny hint of vomit

Flavor: smooth overlying malt sweetness, honey, caramel; herbally hop flavor with a raspy/throaty bitterness like a grapefruit rind; finishes semisweet with a long lasting bitterness on the back of the tongue

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, pert carbonation, soft texture, somewhat astringent

Other comments: Maybe I've just had one too many IPAs recently, but right now I'm thinking you really need to be in the mood for beers like this: another one of those "flavor bombs". (669 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

On tap at Gustav's in the Portland airport.

A - A dark and clear orange, darker than I would have thought. It has a big creamy tan head with good retention and leaves lots of lacing on the glass.

S - Sweet malts, some citrus, and mild hops.

T - Similar to the smell. Sweeter and maltier than I usually like.

D - Good carbonation, slight bitterness.

O - Not much that stands out, and Deschutes is one of my favorites. (426 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -16.4%

on draught in a pint glass
a - has an orange amber color with a thick, light head.
s - citrus smell with a bit of hop bitterness.
t - a bit hoppy but not overly so.
m - a bit thicker than I expected with nice carbonation.
d - this was surprisingly easy to drink although not particularly great tasting. (303 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint.
6.8% ABV, Best By: 05/08/14

A - This gorgeous copper-colored IPA pours slightly hazed and complete with a tall and everlasting ivory cap of foam. The suds plateau to a lumpy pile all while shrouding the pint glass in thick lacing!

S - Deschutes' Inversion IPA has a neck label that touts, "Paradise is stumbling upon our whole flower hop room and inhaling. Inversion is as close as you can get without knowing somebody." Elsewhere on the label, Deschutes goes on to describe Inversion to have, "plenty of balance, finesse" which I tend to side a little more with. Thick bread crusts and notes of toffee sweetness pave the way for floral hop attributes that give a slight nod to citrus and undertones of gentle fruit. I'm still a month from their "best by" date but I can't imagine it's meant to be quite so aromatically distant.

T - Far closer to where I imagine the aroma should be, the flavor is still a little muted but much more hop-forward. Blended fruit doesn't call any particulars out but leads nicely into the floral, faintly earthy aspect that in turn gives way to bready malt kissed by a dab of caramel.

M - Inversion is plenty carbonated though an odd flatness comes across the tongue, possibly due to the fuller bodied feel of this smooth IPA. The bubbles tickle the back of the throat, however, giving way to the lingering dry and bitter hop finish.

O - Even with a month left before Deschutes deems Inversion no longer satisfactory, I can't imagine what's in my bottle is what they intended the beer to taste like. While the beer isn't bad (and they do label it "balanced") it's not hop forward enough, especially in aroma. The building blocks are clearly there, just not quite put together yet, or should I say, they've fallen apart. (1,797 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -16.6%

12oz bottle into a tulip.
I am reviewing this right after a Red Chair, which did not impress and this one isn't doing much better. Looks good, very red with nice foam and tiered lacing. Not enough balance and not pleasant enough hop flavors. A little too grassy. Its really not a far cry from Red Chair in my opinion. Too dry, not enough classic hop flavor. I just have one of these, and I'm fine with that. (407 characters)

Drank from a 12 fluid ounce bottle
Best by 08/27/08
Served in a pint glass
Thanks to my roommate Mel for bringing this one back from Oregon.

The beer poured a clear (with some floating yeast particles from the bottle conditioning), deep orangey-amber color with a tight, frothy, sticky, off-white head that left tons of lacing down the glass.

The aroma was hoppy and complex, yet balanced. Surprisingly malty and sweet smelling for the style. Citrusy (candied orange peel came through strong) and smooth with a noticeable fruity yeast note. A touch earthy. Some tropical fruit flavors appeared as well.

The taste was ultra hoppy and bitter. A bit of caramel-like sweetness appeared up front before the hops took over. The hops were intensely citric and bitter. Grapefruit peel was rather apparent. Undertones of caramel malt were detectable in the center, yet they were no match for the hops. The intense, hoppy bitterness carried into the resonating, piney, spicy finish. As the beer warmed, the alcohol also became quite noticeable on the finish.

The mouthfeel was a bit thin and watery with a fine, lively carbonation. Somewhat foamy.

Drinkability was severely hampered by the overwhelming bitterness of this brew. Near the drink's end, the beer was quite difficult to put down.

This was a really raw and unrefined version of an IPA. In fact, it was one of the most bitter version of the style I have tried. Although I found it a bit rough around the edges, hop heads may rejoice at this untamed beast of a beer. (1,521 characters)

Best By – 04/17/13
12oz bottle into tulip glass

A – Dark copper, light amber edges. Notably dark for an IPA. Foamy head starts strong but settles and leaves adequate lacing.

S – Hop notes are floral and bitter. Citrus here, but more of a dried orange/apricot note. Nose has a subtle sweetness to it.

T – Malt forward, hops come as a strong lingering after effect. The hops are fresh enough, but this is fairly strong on the bitter hop big malt composition.

M – Carbonation is adequate, perhaps a bit light, comes across as flat almost. A little more bubble might help rid of the strong malts.

O – Not hoppy like some other big West Coast IPA's. The NW nature comes through in the form of unique malt characteristics. Bitter hops try to balance but still is more malt dominant than others from the west coast. (825 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -17.1%

Another fun experiment from the laboratories of Ohoove this one is a cloudy rusty brown color with a nice off-white head and tremendous lacing. The aroma offers fruity hop edge with some mild alcohol overtone that sort of negates any favorable signs. The flavor comes on with a pretty clear match with the aroma. Grassy hops and wheaty malt. This is relatively thin and tinny with sharp hop bite but not greatly flavorful by my taste buds. It's close to mid-bodied with subtle carbonation. Drinkable enough and it improves as it warms. But a little disappointing. (563 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

It poured an orange reddish copper color - looked great. A good foamy head with exceptional retention. (Poured this at temp 43 into a Sam Adams pint)

The aroma reminded me of pine and something tart, overall it was very nice.

There was something about this beer that simply was not working for me. It tasted a little off; like it was crudely put together. It was dry, but not in a pleasant way. The taste was reminiscent of pine needles and it had a citrus rind bitter taste. The malts seemed to have taken to the sideline only to make a brief appearance has it got warmer.

It had a prickly carbonated. Dry aftertaste that was not very pleasant.

I can respect this beer from afar, but it simply was not for me. It was too dry and bitter, and not to my liking. I might give it another shot. For now I will be moving on. Others might find it interesting, so its probably worth a try. (889 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

A-Burnt orange...nice creamy white head..

S-Fruity but more apples and pears than citrus on the aroma..also some caramel maltiness

T-Taste is more citrus and piney...there is a strong bitterness which becomes abrasive....unsweetened grapefruit, pine needles...malt is not noticeable behind all the bitterness

M-Body seems about right for the heft of the hops....any thinner and this would be hop juice....

D-If you want an IPA with some bite this fits the bill. I'd prefer something with a little more of a juicy hop flavor. Comes off as too one-sided on the bitterness for me. Bitter without good flavors.. (611 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Attractive dark orangey amber in the Stella Artois tall tulip. Foam lasts well with plenty of lacing. Odd and somewhat perfumey smell. Some roasted malt and a little caramel greet the lips. Some sweetness says with you, but the taste and aftertaste is all about the bitterness. I don't taste much of the usual piney notes. This is kind of a sweet dishwater.

Overall, this seems like a very standard IPA missing some hop flavors, but with an insistent bitterness. Not much for savoring a pint, but I defer to the hop fiends, and maybe freshness is everything on this one. From the 12 oz bottle bought at AJ's Fine Foods in Phoenix. (631 characters)

Inversion IPA from Deschutes Brewery