Inversion IPA - Deschutes Brewery

Beer added by: Jason on 03-22-2006

Alc. by Vol.: 6.8%
IBUs: 80

228 calories per 12 oz serving
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Inversion IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 795 | Hads: 2,769
3.91/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Briefly... looks to die for - golden amber body, pillowy head, and more lace than on a Bride's dress. Muted aromas, but taste is better. More East coast than west with a nice malt backbone stopping it being a Citrus ' n' Pine fest. No dominant citrus flavour but quite dry overall. Solid effort if not outstanding. (314 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +10%

I really enjoyed this IPA. Descheutes Never let's me down with their beer. It has a nice honey golden color. Smell is of a hoppy nature but not overbearingly hoppy. I like my beers super hoppy which would make this one perfect for a none Double IPA sipper. Taste is nice when it hits the palate. Little floral note with a nice amount of bitterness. Smooth going down without the syrupy feel you get from some IPA's. Throughly enjoyed this beer and will definitely drink again! (476 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the Local Taphouse.

Pours a red colour, head is white. Mild lace but decent on the edge. Nice.

Smells hoppy and pleasant. Touch of rubber, but nice citrus and resin. Mild, crisp. Touch of pine needle and dish detergent. Nice.

Taste is stodgier than expected, quite yeasty on the mid and back with quite a full body. Bit of pine and mild sherbet but yeah, yeasty and chalky. Not quite as much hop cleanliness as I may have expected on the back.

Slight tingle on the back. OK feel.

Not quite as bitter as it could have been, feels a little heavy as well. (571 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -3.8%

I've bought a few six packs of Inversion and the first time I had one was at a party and I liked it.
Not much on bouquet and I'm not sure why as the rest of the beer is great. Nice head, lacing of foam down the glass, copper colored, good malt and not overly hoppy. A mild, slightly orange flavored hop. Again, good beer, can't go wrong, good quality. (352 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The Inversion IPA is another solid offering from Deschutes. The beer poured a clear copper with white head. The scent had fresh hops that were more floral leaning. The taste was a nice combination of floral, pine and citrus. The mouthfeel was medium in body with good carbonation. Overall its a solid beer and could be sessioned. (329 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

Excellent IPA.. Taste, colour, smell/aroma. It is a thing of Beauty,,
Have never been to Oregon, but to taste this beer @ Deschutes Home turf would be quite a treat.
Will have to re-evulate my IPA critiques as my palate has become more acute of IPA excellence over IPA adjunct..
Life is so complicated, though GOOD IPA does ease the stress and pain.
I've NOTHING to say that is negative about this bottled bit of Nirvana..
Thank you, Friends from the NW United States..
Bless you and keep the excellence coming...
You Rock!!!!
~ Carry On Citizens!!!~
sMc (559 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Got this IPA as part of the sampler pack. I really wanted to try their award winning porter but I love IPAs so I thought this would be a tasty bev.

A - Brilliant copper color with red hue. Significant head with light lacing. A clear beer even with some yeast at the bottom.

S - Tons of NW hops with the standard citrus notes shining through with some herbal and light flowery tones that come with cascades and citra hops. A hint of the american ale yeast character and slight malt/grain at the bottom, after all of the hops.

T - Significant hop flavor that last through the drink with a citrus character and hints of pine being predominant. The floral, herbal, and grassy notes also accompany making it seem more of a hop wash. It has some of the malt in the middle with hop bitterness to finish crisp. This beer is definitely hop centered but there are other flavors that make it not 100% just hop sided. It almost has a "homebrew" quality to it making it a very good choice for myself.

M - Medium mouth-feel with a nice bitter hop finish. Moderate to high carbonation for the style which makes it seem crisper than the malt bill would make it seem.

Overall, a solid IPA that I wasn't disappointed with. I like the homebrewed taste (unfiltered) but I typically like a specific hop type to come through and not a more muddled hop character. It isn't a bad characteristic necessarily just not my favorite over an all simcoe or a straight "C" hop mix. If you haven't tried it I think you should make your own opinion but I would stick with their porter personally.

Glass- Tulip (1,582 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz into my snifter. Fresh by 10/30. Nice mahogany tone with a finger of slightly off-white head. Decent retention. Piny/grassy and very clean smelling. Nice note of citrus (mainly grapefruit) with a little bit of concentration. Off the top, nice bitterness, almost perfect bitterness... strong malt backbone and pine, pine, pine. Yum. Light to medium body, not oily or sticky, and a clean aftertaste. Overall, this drinks like a much bigger IPA. Fantastic standard setting IPA fro Deschutes. (508 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Clear, orange-amber color with a short but persistent head and nice lacing down the glass. Every Deschutes brew I’ve tried has had exceptional lacing.

Aroma: Smells of peaches and overripe tropical fruit with some herbal/grassy notes in the mix. There’s a bit of a funk to the fruit aromas, giving it the aforementioned overripe quality.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation meets tangerine flavors on the tongue, with a strong hop character present as well in the form of a piney flavor. This hop-forward flavor quickly blends with a bready, nutty malt flavor in the finish, though the finish is still mighty hoppy! The hop character in the finish is pretty bitter and resiny, and is a bit out of balance with the malt flavors.

Final Word: Great flavors in this beer, but the strong hop presence in the finish makes it a bit too potently bitter for the drinker that doesn’t love hops. There’s a lot of citrus and malt character, so it still sits in much better balance than many IPAs, and isn’t an IPA that only hop heads can get into. However, you need to be pretty familiar with hoppy beers and hop flavors to enjoy this one, or else the intense, dry bitterness on the finish is going to turn you away. If you already love IPAs, this beer will definitely satisfy and is worth picking up if one of your favorites isn’t available. I’ve had better IPAs, but they are some of the best around, so this beer still sits high on the list. (1,465 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

In my pint glass at cellar temperature...

A solid two finger, off-white head builds up (I say solid partially because it's very dense foam) over a glowing dark orange or amber that is quite clear, but has lots of very fine mist-like sediment in it upon close inspection. Very pretty lacing, I might add.

Its aroma is very nicely filled with orange and orange zest, honey, caramel, some dank hops, and what I swear is a tiny touch of vanilla. Kind of a herbal flowery smell, overall. Very nice!

Fantastic flavor in this one. Honey and citrus transition to pine, and then to a simply dreamy finish of sweet, bready malt complimented by a laid back, but very noticeable dank, astringent hop bitterness that lingers.

I have to say that the body is pretty darn full for a standard IPA. And it coats my mouth, with an aftertaste that sticks around forever. Almost imperial in character. Impressive.

This IPA has left a huge impression on me. It veritably gushes with hop dankness. (979 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

(purchased cold at Monde Market - best by 08/05/14 - poured into a British pint)

A: medium amber colored liquid, fairly clear... must be a lot of late and dry hops here - the foam stand is long and high, a good inch, creme colored... messy splotches of lace here and there

S: pine, overripe strawberries... juicy navel orange... background floral notes, very faint cracked black pepper... candy citrus... familiar smells for a jam-packed West Coast IPA... woody herbal-ness takes over as it warms

T: pepper, spicy grapefruit, pine... toasted graham cracker, zippy spice in the finish... the aftertaste is grapefruit, lemon, the spice of a citrusy oregano... moderate toasted grain malt backbone, clean, dry... any notion of sweetness (which is minimal, if present) comes from the hops

M: medium-bodied smoothness but notably sandy dry - not gritty - just a texture on the palate like that of bare feet on hot sand (hey, that's what I'm gettin' - it IS 4:38am right now)... combo of hops, alcohol, low temp mash? - feels like a scrub with the mildly-abrasive dish pad (the blue ones) - and it's killer!

O: huh... this actually tastes like a pine forest, granite, crystal waters... bet it pairs well with Oregon... is there such thing as a "Northwest IPA"? - just saying, this could be a benchmark for such a style... had this for the first time at the brewpub in Bend last year - second time having it here - think I'll have it some more! (1,442 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The first sip of this beer brought me a lot of typical citrus notes from the hops. I experienced some slight sweetness from the malt which was followed by pine-bitterness from the hops. The mouthfeel was medium bodied. The head was a off faint khaki color about an finger worth. It smelled of citrus, and slight bread notes from the malt. I purchased this on a whim after deciding to put back their obsidian stout which I like. I figured i'd try something else from the brewery. Overall, I am not disappointed. I can't say I would go out of my my way to get another sixer of this, but it will be on my mind when in a pinch, given that it was 7.99 at the store. I would recommend this to those who are looking for a session IPA that still want hops, but not too much and would rather not have a lower tier ipa (i.e. long hammer, etc.) The 6.8 abv puts it a slight notch above your standard session brew, so beware of that. (921 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle, best by 7/22/14

almost clear copper color, with cream colored head. good head retention and lacing. aroma is hoppy, a mix of herbal and a little citrus. taste has a nice balance of bready malt flavor and bitter hop bite. starts a little sweet, finishes more dry. medium body and carbonation, slightly sticky feel. (328 characters)

A - Chestnut brown, somewhat hazy with an off white mocha head. Nice filmy cheetah print lace.

S - Malts, caramel, toasted grains, hops, fruity.

T - Hop dominate the opening of this, but they are quickly met with a force of malts - caramel, brown sugar. Finishes bitter. Medium to full body.

O - Solid American IPA where the malts match intensity of the hops.

Notes - purchased by my wife from Binny's in Schaumberg (421 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: This beer pours a dark orange color and is topped with ¾” of off white head that lingers nicely.
Smell: The smell of this beer is all hops like a good IPA should be. There are grass pine and citrus aromas that blend nicely together.
Taste: The taste is just like the aroma all hops pine grass and citrus great tasting beer.
Mouthfeel: This is a medium bodied beer that is easy on the palate yet great tasting (424 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Went with a shaker pint glass on this one. Served into the glass out of the bottle. Color is amber to copper. Off-white head (picture aged paper). Very good clarity. Numerous bubbles rising to the top of the glass. The head had some rolling irregularities to it (not 100% uniform but not what I would call rocky). Aroma definitely had hops, but it was more delicate and less assertive that some IPA's I have had. That is not a criticism of this beer by any means. Very fresh, clean, fruit, hops smell. The head persisted thinly to the bottom of the glass. I think I know why they call this "Inversion IPA". Not a dry beer. The hops play the large role, but the maltiness is a close second (an inversion of what I am accustomed to). Lots of deep raisiny, plummy flavors, and in the finish (inhaling deeply after I put down the glass) I'm getting peach yogurt. Very interesting. The lacing in the glass was well banded showing everywhere I paused between sips. I will definitely come back to this one. (999 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Got a sixpack of this from the liquor store. Deschutes has been mentioned several times in podcasts that I listen to, so I grabbed this when I saw it.

Appearance is a clear amber, much darker than I usually see in an IPA. Has a nice, fine, lingering head.

Nice hoppy scent with hints of citrus.

I really like the balance of hops and malts in this beer. There's plenty of bitter and citrus hops here, but it's also balanced with the caramel sweetness of the malt.

Overall, this might be my new favorite IPA. (511 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

NOT an IPAer / Hop Head, but since one should always try new (or re-try) things, I took the advice of the local Omaha beer shoppe on this one (since heard good things on Deschutes).

Color / Aroma: medium honey brown, with magnificent hop fragrance; mild carbonation.

Taste: medium strong hoppiness flavor all the way through to after taste (which is a big end result to me), where it lingers and then becomes partially distasteful (but somewhat expected to me).

Drinkability / Potency: only had the one, but perhaps it becomes more alluring and appreciated with a 2nd or with food (drank right after the 5 pm work day whistle blew without anything).

Overall: not bad but unfortunately, not my cup of tea; each his/her own--ain't life grand!!!

Post Review Note: sampled Anderson Valley Spring Hornin 2 days after initial review, and liked better, so have downgraded overall accordingly. Post Post Note: having just had Loose Canon IPA right after the Spring Hornin (however skewed tastebuds may be), feel Inversion aftertaste the WORST of the 3. (1,050 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle poured into an imperial pint.
6.8% ABV, Best By: 05/08/14

A - This gorgeous copper-colored IPA pours slightly hazed and complete with a tall and everlasting ivory cap of foam. The suds plateau to a lumpy pile all while shrouding the pint glass in thick lacing!

S - Deschutes' Inversion IPA has a neck label that touts, "Paradise is stumbling upon our whole flower hop room and inhaling. Inversion is as close as you can get without knowing somebody." Elsewhere on the label, Deschutes goes on to describe Inversion to have, "plenty of balance, finesse" which I tend to side a little more with. Thick bread crusts and notes of toffee sweetness pave the way for floral hop attributes that give a slight nod to citrus and undertones of gentle fruit. I'm still a month from their "best by" date but I can't imagine it's meant to be quite so aromatically distant.

T - Far closer to where I imagine the aroma should be, the flavor is still a little muted but much more hop-forward. Blended fruit doesn't call any particulars out but leads nicely into the floral, faintly earthy aspect that in turn gives way to bready malt kissed by a dab of caramel.

M - Inversion is plenty carbonated though an odd flatness comes across the tongue, possibly due to the fuller bodied feel of this smooth IPA. The bubbles tickle the back of the throat, however, giving way to the lingering dry and bitter hop finish.

O - Even with a month left before Deschutes deems Inversion no longer satisfactory, I can't imagine what's in my bottle is what they intended the beer to taste like. While the beer isn't bad (and they do label it "balanced") it's not hop forward enough, especially in aroma. The building blocks are clearly there, just not quite put together yet, or should I say, they've fallen apart. (1,797 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Poured with ~1 finger of foam, which dissipated fairly quickly. Amber in color with a hint of red.

S-caramel malt apparent, with some pine and orange peel.

T-caramel shows, with nice bitterness. Citrus showing more as it warmed.

M-medium bodied, appropriately carbonated. Bitterness lingers on the tongue.

O-An enjoyable, drinkable IPA that lacks some complexity of aroma. (420 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +2%

Pours a cloudy amber, with huge foamy head of off-white bubbles. Thick, detailed head of lace, too.

Nose is citrus hoppy, with touches of pine and some floral accents. Nice.

Taste is subtle balance between dry, hoppy citrus and a pine zing. There's a noticeable heavy malt presence here, making this a rich experience.

A very tasty and enjoyable IPA, maybe not an over-the-top hop bomb, but balanced and well worth exploring. (428 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours deep amber with a large, lasting head.
Nose shows heavy sweet malt, piny hops, some fruit confectionery.
More piny hops as flavours. Loads of sweet malt too. There's a pretty potent sharp bitterness to battle the malt though.
Needs more carbonation.
Very full-flavoured stuff. (282 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Tried reviewing this last night and my iPad died just as I was going to submit, so I'll try to the best of my abilities to recall my review...

Picked up a six of this from Target for about $8 - Deschutes tends to be cheaper than most other craft in CO, probably tied with SN, and it's a great value for the quality.

Pours an unexpected reddish amber with an off white head, very slight suspension visible in an otherwise crystal clear ale. Head retains itself pretty well and is comprised of very fine bubbles. Nose is hop-dominant and refreshing, with light bready malty backing. Tastes very hoppy, totally grapefruit at first, giving way to some other orange and tangerine aromas, but never really venturing out of the realm of citrus fruit into anything more tropical. Malt backing gives it nice balance, but this is still a hop forward IPA. Slightly boozy, but not overwhelming at 6.8, and medium carbonation.

Overall this is a very good IPA, and again, it is a great value. I do like more tropical-leaning IPA's with bigger malt (truly I prefer IIPA's), but I liked this and would get it again. (1,102 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Aroma: Grapefruit, lemon rind, and melon aromas up front. Light honey malt character. Clean fermentation characteristics.

Appearance: Nearly clear brick red pour with a sudsy and batter-like off white head. Head retention is good and sticky lacing clings to the glass.

Flavor: More grapefruit and lemon notes up front. A nice bitter foundation with caramel and bready malt notes surprisingly assertive. Balance is to the hop bitterness. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is bitter and lingering.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly oily, with moderately high carbonation. A slight carbonic bite and lingering hop astringency. All appropriate given the style.

Overall impression: A dark, maltier American IPA. This seems to be a real fusion of East and West Coast styles. I'm glad I tried it. (798 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

I was excited when Deschutes started distribution in KY and haven't been let down.

12 ounce bottle lightly chilled and poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Pours a ever so slightly hazy copper color with a strong lasting head.

S - A bouquet of citrus hops with a hint of malt.

T - A good sweet malty start with a long lasting citrus (particularly grapefruit) finish.

M - Rich feel but very clean.

O - An excellent American IPA that is definitely worth a try. (466 characters)

Inversion IPA from Deschutes Brewery