Inversion IPA - Deschutes Brewery

Oregon, United States

Alc. by Vol.: 6.8%
IBUs: 80

228 calories per 12 oz serving

(Beer added by: Jason on 03-22-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Inversion IPA Alström Bros

2.64/5  rDev -32.1%

2.65/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A_Pours a dark amber with a splotchy light head.

S_Slightly toasted bread and caramel are the dominant smells with a vague hop like background odour. Fairly mild but inoffensive.

T_A light sweet caramel malt hits up front. The middle is kind of empty while the finish is generic hop bitterness.

M_Thin bodied with a light carbonation

D_A somewhat empty IPA in flavour and body. There really isn't much to it. This ends up being a vehicle for a bitter aftertaste without good hop flavour.

2.7/5  rDev -30.6%

Second time I've reviewed this one. First review was a bottle. This one is cask conditioned, served in a pint glass at the Elk Public House in Spokane.

Pours a red mahogany brown color. Nice foamy white head is fairly resilient.

Smell is sweet and sharp. Bourbon-like.

Taste is very bitter and hoppy with a lot of alcohol taste and heat.

Mouthfeel is sharp and a bit cloying.

Not the most drinkable IPA in this form. One of few beers I have found that is better in a bottle than in cask. I'll buy it in a sixer and pass on the cask.

2.7/5  rDev -30.6%

A: An attractive deep reddish copper color. Moderately clear with a medium to long lasting 1.5" fluffy, cream colored head with nice , moderate lacing.

S: Slight sticky pine smell with a faint citrus. Moderately noticeable alcohol.

T: A slight sweetness with a light piny bitter finish.

M: Sticky smooth with a medium body and moderate carbonation.

D: Though this is a good looking beer with a smooth feel ,I kept finding myself turn to words like slight, moderate and light to modify descriptions. The "Inversion" seems to have left left this sweeter than average, lightly bitter IPA with a moderate to average flavor profile. While very drinkable I don't think I'll be seeking this one out in the future.

2.7/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was really looking forward to this beer, the appearance was clean and highly carbonated; promising a great throat burn. A full glass of IPA always excites me as I anticipate a strong snout of herbal hops OR/AND the aftertaste of hops slapping your face like the Three Stooges. I got neither. I consummed the three bottles I had of it while mulling over the paradox of: an IPA without noticeable hops. By the third bottle I was obviously more forgiving - but in the end I would place this in the category of a nice "Belgian Ale".

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

I'll preface this review by saying that I am not an IPA fan in the least. I will try them on occasion when forced, and this was the case with the Deschutes Inversion IPA.

Appearance - Could not tell the appearance from the beer, as I did not have a glass to pour the bottle into.

Smell - Very hoppy smell, normal for IPAs that I've had. Also smells very robust in terms of grains and yeast

Taste - The robust smell was a clue to the taste of the beer: very earthy tones coupled with a more-than-moderate hop flavor. Actually less hoppy than I expected.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel resembles that of a lager, which is light and crisp in taste. Goes down smoother than most IPAs I've had, which helps redeem some of the traditional IPA qualities.

Overall - Not bad at all for an IPA. It is mild in hoppy flavor and easy to down quickly, which gives it some qualities that resemble a lager.

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

I got this in box from UngerTaker, thanks! Dated best by 9.13.11 so I popped this open right away. Poured into tulip and reviewed from notes...

A- Dark amber in color with an inch of a foamy off white tanish head. Head dies very quickly but leaves some decent lacing to be remembered by.

S- Hops come off soapy. Citrus and tiny bit of pine in there, otherwise fairly malty with a strong doughy, honey aroma.

T/M- Bitterness is definitely where I like it, but flavor fails to deliver. I get mostly pine (which I tend to dislike comparatively) with a touch of grapefruit. Again, malt backbone comes through with honey and graham cracker. Carbonation is minimal, leaving this slick and oily. I like my IPAs more lively on the palate.

O- Though this is still within best by date, this would be a little better more fresh (obviously). Seems like it has some decent components, but its forgettable and more importantly I just gravitate towards the more citrus/fruity IPAs...

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

A: Medium orange auburn color with some cloudiness. Medium sized head of copper foam, with a medium level of carbonation. Nice lacing.

S: Very citrusy. Lots of oranges, sweet grapefruits, and a powerful floral hop aroma with hints of pine cones.

T: Hoppy flavor gives way to a floral soapy flavor. Mild malt character is present yet subdued. The soapy flavor is totally out of place and kills the beer's flavors.

M: Light and smooth. Not a lot of carbonation on the palate. Somewhat refreshing.

D: Not quite up to par. The overwhelming astringent flavors really screw this one up. Otherwise, it's not too bad.

Notes: I've got another bottle on hand, which i'll compare this sample to. If it differs greatly, i'll re-review. Special thanks to KingG for the sample.

2.85/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This IPA poured as a dark golden trending towards amber. And if you know Ambyr you know that ain't all bad. The head on it (the beer, not Ambyr) was firm and looked like dirty straw. This IPA has a good flowery smell that you expect from an IPA. The taste was very grassy - or maybe that was because i had just finished mowing the lawn. The bitterness stayed a bit too long for my taste so i marked this down on the feel and on taste.

2.85/5  rDev -26.7%

I got this bottle from Whitebricke -- It is odd to say, but I'm proud of this guy. He came to me as a complete newbie, and as it turns out, he is a fantasticly generous trader that was very open to tips and ideas. The box he sent me demonstrates just how right I was about him-- thanks for a great trade, Ted!

Pours a deep orangey copper color. A little darker than the Red Chair pale ale. Toffee colored head of 2 fingers that settled quickly leaving a wisp of bubbles and some spotty lacing.

The smell, no surprise, is malty. I could have guessed by the color. I was really expecting Deschutes to be a real hoppy brewery-- and they certainly use plenty of them, but so far, their beers strike me as being really-well balanced. Lots of malts and lots of hops. This one is good-- I'm enjoying it quite a bit-- but it isn't what I was really expecting. I actually wanted a big old west coast hop bomb.

Sweet caramel malt with .... umm... lots and lots of sweet malts. The smell and the taste pickup the same malts-- nothing really hiding in this beer. The hops profile kicks in with some grapefruit and nondescript orange notes. Good bitterness on the backend.

This is a really drinkable IPA-- the balance and milder hop profile makes this one I could drink several of (if it weren't nearly 7%)! Tons of carbonation in this beer, which works well with the body being right about medium.

Overall-- this is a good IPA. It isn't in my top 5 list, but this is a good beer. This would be in the same category as Lagunitas IPA for me-- not going to blow some one's mind, but not going to be an unpleasant experience either. This would certainly one that I would pick up a six-pack every few weeks (or months) and enjoy at various times of the year or with various foods etc. This is a very versatile beer.

---edit-02.02.11---
Bottle dated "best before 03.12.2011."
Wow. This is sooo disappointing to revisit. I picked up a single in MN to see what I thought about it now... Won't get it again. The beer is way too malty. Sweet caramel and bready malts. The hops are weak. Very weak. Apricot and grapefruit notes mainly.
This is really just an average offering from a great brewery.

2.93/5  rDev -24.7%

Served in my SA Sensory pint. Best by 11/7/08 stamped on the bottle. Poured a translucent copper-red with a one inch off-white head that quickly lost cohesion before eventually settling into a broken cap of foam and ringlets. Some spotty lacing present during the tasting. Floral hops and grapefruit evident in the nose. Taste consistent with nose, but grapefruit flavor is amplified, leaving a lingering bitterness between quaffs. Mouthfeel is light and also a little creamy; effervescence nicely balances out the mouthfeel. A little too bitter and astringent for my palate; however, I have to confess that IPAs are not my style of choice.

2.95/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Decidedly amber in color with a mountainous eggnog head. Lots of hops but lots of crystal malt in the aroma as well. Apples, grapefruit, caramel and iced tea. Flavor is the same but less hoppy. Tastes like malt and hop flavored iced tea. Crystal malt sucks in hoppy beers.

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a rather dark amber color with a two finger white head and light lacing. Lots of yeasties floating around in the glass, not much carbonation. Aroma is somewhat malty up front, but not sweet, more bready, toasty, and dry than anything else. Might be some light caramel back there, and hops are surprisingly low key considering this is an IPA, but what hops I do manage to get out of the smell are lightly piny. Hmm, this beer is hard to judge. It really has no IPA qualities to me. This tastes like an American Amber/Red Ale rather than IPA. It's very malty, again with the toast and bread, some light caramel, but not overly sweet. Hops are way in the background, and like the nose they largely consist of pine flavors, some herbaceous tinges, some citrus, with a short supply of bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium with very low carbonation. I don't get it. How is this an IPA? Where are the hops? Best before date is 10/5/10, so I know it's not super old. I'm sort of baffled. It's a good tasting beer, but nothing that i look for in an IPA. Review scores reflect style rather than overall taste.

Inversion IPA from Deschutes Brewery