Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Inversion IPA - Deschutes Brewery

Inversion IPAInversion IPA

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 03-22-2006

Alc. by Vol.: 6.8%
IBUs: 80

228 calories per 12 oz serving
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Inversion IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 795 | Hads: 2,763
3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

A- amber/copper color with a good amount of head. At first, this seems like a Belgian IPA.

S- unfortunately, not much. The hops are present, but not at all strong. More malt than what I like.

T- much like it smells. This is a well balanced beer, as the hops are citrusy and refreshing. beyond that, I get a bit of vanilla which gives this it's balance.

M- I really dig this, since I am used to an IPA having a big kick. Without this, the mouthfeel is much more like a pale ale without that usual bitterness.

O- all Deschutes beers are solid, and this is no different. I am sure I've had this on draught as well, and I remember saying it wasn't much of an IPA, which can be attributes to it's malts and balance overall. (722 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a bottle with raised hop vines around the neck which I am really fond of. Dark copper almost brown. Heavy head with thick lace.

Smells of yeast, sugar, fruit, and alcohol.

Taste candied fruit up front with a sweet malt backing. A big combination of fruit lingers with a slight hop bittering.

Medium body with a slick oily texture.

Easy drinker, kept reaching for sips quite frequently. (401 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -3.6%

A: dark gold to amber. Not much head. Darker than I would expect from an IPA.
S: Nice aroma, citrus and a bit of pine. Did not really pick up too much malt.
T: Nice amount of hops and citrus up front. Enough to let you know it was an IPA but nothing too crazy. Some malt. Well rounded, but not extraordinary.
M: Medium bodied, something that was nice but unexpected. Heavier IPA fits the cold season we are in.
D: Good, not the best beer I have had from these guys, but good enough that you could drink more than one. (520 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into pub glass.

A: Poured a very attractive hazy dark copper color with a light beige one finger head. Head receded quickly leaving a collar that persisted.

S: Citrusy hops. Notes of grapefruit and orange with hints of red fruits underneath. Some malt sweetness.

T: The bitterrness hits right away but it's the unexpected fruity esters that grab my attention. Very interesting flavor profile and certainly different than many other IPAs. Citric and piney with notes of candied red fruits with a strong caramel malt backbone. Bitterness is at an appropriate level but not super high. Nice level of sweetness but not cloying in any way.

M: Medium bodied with a good level of carbonation. I like it; no complaints.

D: Quite high. A well-structured IPA that has lots of flavor and doesn't fatigue the palate.

Overall, another well made beer by Deschutes. Some people may be disappointed as this beer doesn't reach the the super high bitterness category, but it's still quite high and I think the hop character interplays with the prominent malt flavors very nicely. An interesting IPA that I like to include in my IPA rotation. (1,136 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Pours a deep amber/orange with a light head that dissipates slightly but does stick around.

S: Citrus and floral but not as pronounced as I usually hope for from an IPA

T: A ton of hop bitterness hits you up front and continues to permeate throughout the drink. A malty sweetness presents its' self at the end and cuts through the bitter flavors leaving the drinker with a lasting citrus flavor.

M: A little on the heavier side of things for an IPA. There isn't allot of carbonation to lighten things up so it has a sticky finish that leaves the palate bit dry. Not bad just a bit strange.

D: Despite the bitterness it is still quite drinkable thanks to the viscosity. It goes down smooth and leaves you wanting more.

Overall: I wasn't very impressed initially. It seemed overly simple, but it started growing on me and by the time I had drained my glass I was ready to refill it. (888 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

I am a touch biased when it comes to Deschutes but it's difficult when you have a brewery that makes such great beer. Pours a great coppery hue with decent head and more lacing than expected. Has the coloring of a Hop Rod Rye or Union Jack. Not overpowering Hop and definitely malty. I like that I can have a few of these and not feel like a hop bomb went off in my mouth. Reminds me a little of an East Coast IPA with more focused on the malt and fruit complexities rather than just hop. Great texture and easy drinking are why this beer get's a great review in my book. (571 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

Got this from France44.com instead of them shipping me a sixer of Two Hearted. They have since more than fixed the situation.

It poured a darker, amber color and I guess without me reading into the label, I expected a typical golden tan IPA color.

First sip? 'wow' I was really taken back, this had a nice hoppy bite with a clean finish and a real nice caramel malt after taste to it.

Next few sips(whole glass...) we're just spent savoring the well balanced mix of the citrus notes and malty/caramel notes.

Very well made IPA, really surprised I've never heard anyone talk about it. I'd give it an 8.5/10 (613 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Exceptionally pleasant IPA, I'm a big fan of DIPA and this would give a DIPA a run for its money. Very smooth, plenty of hop flavor and finishes real smooth. If was a little less expensive this would definitely be my regular beer (Lagunitas holds that spot).

Edit: A 12oz bottle went WAY too fast. :-) (302 characters)

This ale poured with about an inch of head which dissipated down to about half and stayed throughout. The color of this ale was darker amber then some IPA's. Smelled of pine, and tasted of hoppy pine. Solid taste and smell with a hearty piney finish! This is a nice IPA I plan on buying again. (293 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

NOT an IPAer / Hop Head, but since one should always try new (or re-try) things, I took the advice of the local Omaha beer shoppe on this one (since heard good things on Deschutes).

Color / Aroma: medium honey brown, with magnificent hop fragrance; mild carbonation.

Taste: medium strong hoppiness flavor all the way through to after taste (which is a big end result to me), where it lingers and then becomes partially distasteful (but somewhat expected to me).

Drinkability / Potency: only had the one, but perhaps it becomes more alluring and appreciated with a 2nd or with food (drank right after the 5 pm work day whistle blew without anything).

Overall: not bad but unfortunately, not my cup of tea; each his/her own--ain't life grand!!!

Post Review Note: sampled Anderson Valley Spring Hornin 2 days after initial review, and liked better, so have downgraded overall accordingly. Post Post Note: having just had Loose Canon IPA right after the Spring Hornin (however skewed tastebuds may be), feel Inversion aftertaste the WORST of the 3. (1,050 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured and tasted 8/13/11
12 oz. bottle into a Edmund Fitz pint glass

Pours an amber/tangerine body with about an inch and a half of creamy faint tan head, impressive lacing.
Aroma is generic citrus flavors and bready malt, some toffee; not nearly as much of the citrus or floral scents that are common in most NW IPAs.
Taste included a strong citrus bite initially which transitioned into caramel malt, orange, grapefruit, and butterscotch.
Mouthfeel is surprisingly thick for the style, good carbonation.
This offering by Deschutes is one of the more malt-forward, caramel tasting IPAs I've tried. The citrus notes are present but counterbalanced by a strong malt backbone and unexpected dense mouthfeel. Can usually find a sixer for $6-8 around Portland making it a pretty good deal. (787 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -30.7%

A: An attractive deep reddish copper color. Moderately clear with a medium to long lasting 1.5" fluffy, cream colored head with nice , moderate lacing.

S: Slight sticky pine smell with a faint citrus. Moderately noticeable alcohol.

T: A slight sweetness with a light piny bitter finish.

M: Sticky smooth with a medium body and moderate carbonation.

D: Though this is a good looking beer with a smooth feel ,I kept finding myself turn to words like slight, moderate and light to modify descriptions. The "Inversion" seems to have left left this sweeter than average, lightly bitter IPA with a moderate to average flavor profile. While very drinkable I don't think I'll be seeking this one out in the future. (710 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into my sam adams perfect pint glass. Beautiful white head atop a deep amber. Smells of pine and grapefruit. Very sweet taste up front followed by some bitter hop flavor. Not as bitter as I usually like in an IPA but I really dig the northwest hop flavor here. Very balanced. Not quite as full as id like-a bit watery but I could still drink a few of these in a sitting.

Overall this is a very enjoyable west coast IPA that I would buy again. (451 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

A: appearance is a clear dirt brown with near no carbonation and one finger of a very light brown chocolate coloured foam, residing to a thin crust.

S: malt driven with a seemingly hoppy backing smell to finish. Citrus notes and some bready character as well.

T: really bitter and dry at the beginning. A lingering bitterness that surrounds the tongue and sides of mouth with a slight caramel flavour. As the smell suggested a malty presence and an apparent milky cream touch. Quite unusual but in saying that quite pleasant and enjoyable.

M: a sticky residual results throughout the mouth, As though lack of carbonation in this case has been replaced by other prominent features. My tongue feels dry and overwhelmed from the front on hop character but again the creamy milk side smoothes over replenishing any unpleasant sensation.

O: an extremely unusual beverage, whether it be something discouraging the true taste as in dirty lines or maybe something else.. A bad keg? But if all is well and this is the beer even though it now sounds like im being harsh, I definitely would have again to see if the same result is present. And I look forward to bottled inversion. A beer that is perplexing to the pallet. And now im half way through the pint I want another! Try this beer! Deschutes always amazing (1,308 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into glass with good head and retention

Hops and citrus aroma, very pleasant

Well balanced for a strong hop IPA

Mouthfeel pleasant but a shade less rich than some

Great beer overall, needed to have a few times before I really appreciated it, will have again for sure. (278 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +8.4%

Big hops from this beer! Very high IBU's but remarkable well balanced with a nice malty undertone. Copper to Red in appearance. Nice creamy tan head that forms an easy 2 fingers in a standard pint glass. Dry hopped for 7 days and you can really tell with the fresh herb nose that is readily present as soon as you stick your nose in it. Finishes clean with a bit of a zip. ABV in the upper 6's and you can taste the alcohol as well. A great seasonal for Deschutes. Nice job. (474 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a bottle into a standard, bubble in the middle type american pint glass..

A - This beer looks great. Pours very clear with a one inch foam head that clings to the glass as you drink it down. A touch darker than some IPA's as it is almost an amber colored beer..

S - Smells of pungent hops and maybe some carmel malt.

T - Very, very solid IPA with a bitterness on the front, a malty sweetness in the middle and at the end a sort of pungent hoppiness. This is a quality beer, period. A fantastic balance to this one.

M - Pretty much a perfect everyday IPA here taste and Mouthfeel wise. The right level of carbonation and not overly dry, but also not heavy enough on the pallet that you feel bloated by the time you finish the pint.

O - I prefer my IPA's to be really hoppy, and this is more of an English take that is probably hopped with American hops.. but this beer is in perfect balance and while a lot of people use that 'balanced' catch-phrase.. this beer really does have a solid mix of hop bitterness and malt backbone. (1,048 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

appearance: Dark coppery orange. Head halves quickly. Scant lacing. Minimal carbonation.
smell: Piney esters & a clean, grassy nose.
taste: Citrus, floral & grassy again. This does seem to warm a lil more than most IPA's.
mouthfeel: Above average.
drinkability: This could be a hop-head session brew on a hot, sunny day. Exceptional in some areas, nothing terrible. A solid 6'er purchase for a friendly summer BBQ. (420 characters)

Best By date is about 6 weeks from now.

A: Crystal clear. Color is dark copper to light brown. Thick creamy head that leaves lacing with each sip.

S: Malty more than hops. Mostly pine and dank aromas. Minimal citrus.

T: Piney and resinous. Sweet. Very malt forward for an IPA. The beer offers complexity as the flavor changes from sweet, to floral, to a lingering bitter finish.

M: Thick, sweet and resinous. Carbonation is middle of the road for an IPA.

O: It's okay, but it's a little syrupy for my IPA tastes. Also I think the hop flavor, while quite present, is 1-dimensional. (585 characters)

This is a long time standby IPA for me. I can usually find it on sale and will always buy it over any other grocery store beer. I bought a horse keg of it last year and enjoyed that for a while.

Appearance: Nice golden orange non filtered with a nice head
Smell: Nice Cascades dry hopped aroma
taste: Nice blend of bittering and dry hops with enough malt to balance it.
mouth feel: decent mouth feel, not a DIPA but darn good for a SIPA! (438 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours to a rich reddish clear color with a nice tan head that stays around a long time.

WHAM, this beer hits you with a great first hit of hops immediately after the first contact. Hops seem to be more stemming from the floral variety, a great flavor booster but if you pay attention you can also grab the subtle mild fruits underneath, seemed like a hint of banana to me.

The hops linger a long time but I would have liked to see more of a malt presence as well. Overall this is an excellent IPA, very much in tune with the general theme of fresh hops.

If you like a hoppy, fresh, light and non peppery IPA, this is for you, Deschutes Brewery has another winner here with this seasonal. (698 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -55%

What can I say? There is many things I cannot stand about this beer. Firstly, the malt profile is astringent and very bitter. I just doesn't work for me. From a brewery that's usually top notch, this is a lackluster effort that tastes out of sink, and is not terribly drinkable. (278 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

A: great rusty orange color...about a 2 finger head that went down rather quickly

S: slightly citrusy and caramely...

T: very strong hop taste, too much bitterness for me...nice finish though

M: good carbonation...

D: wasn't digging this beer really...for the style it is great, but i am just not an IPA guy i guess...

on edit: now that i am a total hop-head i looked back on this review and chuckled to myself...i drink primarily IPA's now and it is nice to see how tastes have changed...this is now one of my favorite IPA's that i have had on numerous occasions... (571 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13%

This was a bottle purchased at princes Liquors in Plymouth MN more then a year ago. It sat in my garage fridge until last month when I moved it to the home fridge. The best if used by date is 08/07/13, so it is past its best date. yet, it still had a wonderful pour, aroma and taste.

Dark amber with a nice 2 finer head from a slow pour. Great lacing.

A realitively strong malt smell, but there is a sweetness I loved. Orange?

Taste was good, a little hops, some fruits. Not a bitterness afterwards. Easy to drink.

Mouth-feel was good. Not to sharp or bitter. Easy to drink.

I purchased this as a single with 5 other singles. Wishing I had gotten full 6 of these - will get more. (686 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Got a sixpack of this from the liquor store. Deschutes has been mentioned several times in podcasts that I listen to, so I grabbed this when I saw it.

Appearance is a clear amber, much darker than I usually see in an IPA. Has a nice, fine, lingering head.

Nice hoppy scent with hints of citrus.

I really like the balance of hops and malts in this beer. There's plenty of bitter and citrus hops here, but it's also balanced with the caramel sweetness of the malt.

Overall, this might be my new favorite IPA. (511 characters)

Inversion IPA from Deschutes Brewery