The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)
to view more.
Ratings: 5,879 | Reviews: 1,801
4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Pitch black bourbon smell, oak taste with definite hints of wine barrel not overly boozy. Heavy body

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Congregation Ale House - Long Beach, CA - draft

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - The was quite black with bubbles along the sides of the glass.

Smell - Smooth bourbony chocolate nose.

Taste - The initial taste was very dark chocolate. Cherries, oak, molasses. Toward the back, the beer is dry chocolate with a slight warming sensation.

Mouthfeel - The low carbonation allows the stout to stick to the roof of the mouth.

Overall - This is a great stout. I would be hesitant to call it elite.

3.5/5  rDev -22.2%

not my favorite style of beer

3.99/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

a little to chalky for me

I hate giving perfect scores. I really do. But, the look was great. What else do you want? The smell was of heaven. The taste was very nice. You can taste a lot going on. Very well thought out beer. Not boozy. Nice barrel notes. I mean...it's perfect for what it is. A+. If you don't like complex stouts then I guess you won't like it.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Can't drink a 2014 now. You'll be disappointed. Let it age for at least 3 years. NRTD..not ready to drink yet.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%

OMG, am I luck, or what? Never thought I'd ever cross paths with this legendary brew.

On tap at The Blue Moon for MCBW, which has been the best event of the week, by far, I might add. Good work, Blue Moon!

I'm having this next to KBS and Black Butte XXVI, and I have to say this is the best of the three. Man, wow! (I'm actually surprised by how less blown away I am by the KBS.)

And can I mention again what an insane lineup this is here at the Blue Moon, today?!

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle was between 6-7 months old.

Appearance: Completely dark, name describes this well.

Smell: This was a winner. Even after some months in the fridge, there was a good amount of bourbon on the nose. There was a sweetness from the vanilla as well.

Taste: Bourbon hits first, which is followed by dark chocolate and coffee. There was surprisingly no burn that followed from the bourbon. The vanilla comes through, but more on the nose, than taste. The big sweetness is from the molasses, which is very distinguished. At the end there was quite a lot of cherries. I felt as the beer warmed, I tasted this more.

Feel: very soft feel, for this abv I was surprised it wasn't more viscous.

Overall: With all hyped beers I like to keep an open mind, but this one lives up to the hype. Definitely one of the best in its class.

4.68/5  rDev +4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

5/7/2015 - had freshly tapped 2011. It is a fantastic beer and aged extremely well.

2.82/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had 2014 version on draft. I don't understand this beer's popularity. It tasted like bitter teriyaki sauce. No barrel character either. I realize it is expressly stated that the beer sit a year before being consumed, but I'm not sure how much better 6 more months or even two more years can make this.

3.54/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Barely any barrel. Very bitter tasting. Maybe I needed to let it sit longer?

3.5/5  rDev -22.2%

2014, will update when i try again

Thick, molasses, vanilla, chocolate. Love it.

4.61/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 2013 bottle. Thick and dark black looking with a creamy tan head. Complex aroma of coffee and bourbon. Taste is a combination of chocolate and coffee with bourbon notes. Excellent texture, very thick but soft on the pallet. Excellent choice.

2.7/5  rDev -40%

Not bad. I would buy it again.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Almost unreal how good this really was. I was almost afraid to try it and just wow.

4.66/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this really lived up to the hype for me. I was able to taste almost every individual flavor listed on the bottle with the exception of the licorice, which you could smell very easily. Probably the most complex imperial stout I have ever enjoyed.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

In 2010, I had bought a bottle of The Abyss that was apparently part of the 2009 batch that was determined to be infected. This is the first time since then that I have seen it on the shelf here in Central Texas, bought two 22 oz bombers for $16 each. Label says "best after 11/10/15". I'm going to drink one now and let the other stew until November, at which point I will revisit this review.

Served in a snifter, this one is black as coffee with a finger of head about the color of the label, a fitting foreshadowing of the name and the taste. A fine net of lacing stays at the top of the glass. The smell is coffee, tobacco, vanilla. Taste is consistent, but the molasses is fairly prominent along with that almost smoked woody flavor that you taste in a good BBQ brisket. As the name suggests, the flavors run deep and complex with something new to find with every sip. I am not detecting the red wine so much, but that may be flushed out with the suggested aging.

If this one gets better after 11/10/15, I need to return to the store where I found it and stock up. $16 now sounds cheap. Again, will update this in November (with much anxiety in the meanwhile) to see if one of the best I've ever had actually improves.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bottle, 2014 vintage, label says best after 11/11/15. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown/black with about an inch frothy tan head that stayed around for a while. There's also a bunch of lacing. Aroma is great, the brew smells like molasses, red wine, oak, coffee, chocolate, burnt/charred malt, and a bit of vanilla. The taste is pretty good too, there's burnt/charred malt, coffee, chocolate, molasses, licorice, red wine, oak, bourbon, and vanilla flavors. Lots of bittersweet goodness! Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's coating and creamy with moderate carbonation. I've been waiting a while to try this, and I wasn't disappointed! I liked this brew a lot, it's going to be hard for me not to drink my other bottle before the "best after" date. I'll definitely buy this again the next time it's released. $14.99 a bomber.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not much to say other than this is the best beer I have ever tasted and is damn near perfection.

2.84/5  rDev -36.9%

I thought the taste was terrible. Everyone says it needs lots of age. Had this on tap so maybe to fresh?

4.24/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2014 Reserve. Consumed @5 months old.

A: cola pour, terrifying maw of darkness no colour on edges held to light, copper-brown large head, small bubbles, excellent lacing, settles to a light cap atop the beer, medium-long retention
S: heavy espresso front, sweet vanilla, heavily charred fruity wood, bit of bourbonesque liqour, charcoal, toasted marshmellows, roasty roasty malt!
T: burnt coffee, very bitter dark chocolate, bourbon sweetness for a brief moment before moving into a strong milk chocolate carries through to light tart fruit before finish, dry charred oak finish, a slight salty licorice throughout too,
M: medium-full bodied, satisfyingly coating, low-medium carbonation, feels thin to me, slightly ashy finish
O: consumed young, bitter as expected but nowhere near as much alcohol as expected, will revisit on enjoy after date

4.1/5  rDev -8.9%

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed. I bought two bottles and really didn't think it was that great.

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 Vintage, drank in December 2014. Served in a snifter at approximately 50F.

A: Pitch black. Small amount of light at the edges. Half a finger of brown head. No alcohol legs seen.
S: Coffee, chocolate, toasted coconuts, vanilla, pipe tobacco, spicy rye, faint bourbon. Some red wine shines through after taking a couple whiffs. Awesome smelling beer.
T: Bold chocolate and coffee upfront. Bourbon in the aftertaste. A lot of the stuff in the nose comes through as well, a lot more subtle. Combines very nicely for a very enjoyable taste.
M: Coats the mouth. Big mouthfeel and low to medium carbonation. Very rich beer. Goes down extremely smooth.
O: This was fresh, I can only imagine it'd get much better with age. Excellent example of a barrel aged stout.

to view more.