The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery

Wants: 2,482
Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Abyss Alström Bros

oaktree42, Apr 14, 2012

Zhum14, Oct 09, 2012

Jsads, Aug 04, 2012
1.18/5  rDev -73.9%

2009 Reserve

Pours a dark oily color body with a big bubbly tan coffee colored head that last forever.

Smell is of big chocolate and coffee with a funky barnyard smell normally associated with sours. Kind of strange, this must be one of the infected bottles.

Taste is chocolate and barnyard funk. Some acidic and vinegar notes as well. Yup, this beer must be infected. Imagine a wild ale had sex with an imperial stout, this is their lovechild.

Mouthfeel has high carbonation with a dry leathery feel. Not good.

I guess the rumor is true, the 2009 Abyss batch has gone bad. I am truly disappointed as this was my first Abyss ever and I was eagerly awaiting drinking it.

pmccallum86, Jul 02, 2010
1.27/5  rDev -71.9%

In honor of finally getting my hands on a couple 2010 Abyss bombers, I'm cracking open an infamous 2009 release. I'm hoping and thinking it's not contaminated because I was aging two bottles. When I first heard from my buddy Jeff that they might be tainted I opened the other one a long time ago, just to see if mine were among the bunk ones. The other one still tasted excellent so here we go.

Poured from a bomber into a snifter

A beautiful looking brew. Thick, black, plenty of head that looks like frothy hot chocolate. Mmmmm, delicious looking. Good head retention while waiting for it to warm just a bit. (the garage was a bit colder than proper serving temp)

Uh-oh. Nose seems way off, getting a slight metallic smell or something that shouldn't be there. Maybe im just trippin because I'm nervous.

Ahhh damn it, this sucks. It's totally infected. Man, a year's worth of aging wasted. I should have listened to everyone's advice on BA and drank them all the minute I knew this was even a possibility. Anyways, at least I have a 2010 Release to open and comfort me. I'll review the 2010 and hit re-review later but right now I'm mad at both myself and Deschutes quality control lab for wasting my time and precious money. This 2009 is an F - literally "avoid". For anyone else out there that still has one in the cellar, hurry and drink it now to at least catch a buzz for your thirteen bucks because I think it's only getting worse with age. Mine's already pretty tough to even drink.

Cheers

JamesMcPolin, Jan 19, 2011
1.58/5  rDev -65%

Bomber poured into Delerium tulip.

2009 Vintage.

A- Pours a deep brown with a big two and a half finger mocha head. The head takes a while to die down and leaves some spotty lacing on the side of the glass.

S- My fears about this beer has come true. I have an infected Abyss. Smells like a wild stout. Some funkiness dominates the nose to go along with sour cherries, roasted malt and a little bit of milk chocolate.

T- Lots of infection, I mean funkiness. Sour cherries, a little smokiness and some chocolate notes. Nothing else is very apparent besides the tartness.

M- Medium bodied with ample carbonation. Dry on the finish but I am not sure if that was the way it was intended or due to the infection.

D- Pretty much a drain pour. I was hoping I would be one of the lucky ones but alas, I was not. Looking forward to trying to '10 though.

Wisconsinality, Nov 27, 2010

Jpepe08, Jan 22, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -52.4%

Purchased from Side Door Liqour Store in El Paso Texas. $13

Bottle dated as best AFTER Nov 15 2011

Appearance: Darkest beer I have ever seen. Aptly named.

Smell: Strong malt smell followed by molasses

Taste: ... nothing kind to say

Mouthfeel: meh

Overall: Did not enjoy this beer at all. High expectations based on description on bottle.

chrislouden, May 02, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -49.1%

2009 Vintage

This beer is infected. The nose and taste are dominated by an offputing lactic sourness.
A very slight bitter roast note comes through. But any complexity, oak, or bourbon is gone.

Sad. I wonder if its a victim of the growing problem I've been hearing about of brewery's wild brews contaminating their non-wild brews.

Tbone, Feb 23, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -49.1%

This beer...I mean, really? I missed the last release so I had been looking forward to trying this "gem" for almost a year now. Needless to say, when it was brought out this past Friday night it felt like life was finally looking up. I quickly finished what was left in my glass and eagerly poured a small sample to taste. It was much thinner than I had expected. I was anticipating a thick, syrupy imperial stout, but it was mostly just thin and bubbly, with a small and fizzy head. The smell wasn't bad, but nothing amazing. Burnt chocolate and coffee were the first things that come to mind. The first taste is what killed my hopes and dreams, and pretty much my entire outlook on life. It had a much too fizzy mouth feel, and tasted like a burnt stout. Not a stout with roasted notes to it, a burnt stout. Burnt chocolate and burnt coffee, like the smell. It was also way too bitter; as bitter as t0rin0 when his female roommates man-handle the bathroom on a Sunday morning. The only thing that saved the night was LL Cool J's "I'm Bad" faintly playing in the background.
This beer is completely and offensively over-hyped. I guess somewhere along the lines we never gained a strong sense of shame. Apparently the schools can't teach us everything. I heard that last years was amazing and much better than this years, and I would believe it. But for now I say screw this beer and the horses' ass it rode in on. Shame on those who give this an A just because it's hyped up...shame

FlikkerDans, Feb 17, 2009