Microbrew Invitational

The AbyssThe Abyss

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006

Reviews: 1,874 | Ratings: 6,655
3.36/5  rDev -25%

Thanks, Xenoreactive!

The aroma brings plenty of woodsy dark chocolate. Licorice shows up, as does a gentle hoppiness. My problem here is, while a solid nose, is overly muddled and underdeveloped. Flavor follows the nose. I do get a nice opening sensation of cherry wood to go with the dark chocolate notes. The back end is awash with piny hops, roast, and licorice. Seems muddled, complicated, and incoherent, hampering my enjoyment. On the other hand, I really enjoy the feel - the feel is dry finishing yet rich, warming, and palate coating. Gentle carbonation aids the easy drinking nature. Not particularly impressed with this - maybe it's too young? I respect Deschutes for telling you to age this a year, though; this should integrate more with age.

3.36/5: One confusing abyss

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours very, very dark brown, settling black with some oil-coloured rimming. Yellowish head settles after a minute or so - would prefer it a tad spongier.

The wall of aroma is the real kicker here - I'd like it consolidated into a black candle to be lit at my funeral. Cigars swirl around molasses, vanilla, oak, raisins, earth, brioche, chocolate, bourbon and dark caramel all at once. This stuff is like cuddling the tattered robes of a particularly well-travelled wizard; deep inhalation is definitely a must.

Taste follows the nose, but in Willy Wonka-esque layers. The bourbon gives way to chocolate, bread, coffee, vanilla - pause - then the wine, cherries, and hops that manage to round of the richness with a crisp finish... I can't pick up on some of the advertised licorice notes, and I would prefer a bigger hit from the barrels, but the complexity on display is astounding all the same, and always begs another sip.

Feel is smooth and not too thick, striking what I suppose is a necessary balance between the variety of flavours. Carbonation props up the fruitiness, but may occasionally mask some of the smoother notes. That's a nitpick, really - who's taking that last tipple?...

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I drink Imperial stouts less than several other styles but this one is definitely winning me over. Barely off of pitch black with a dark tan head. Wonderful, creamy mouthfeel with light carbonation. Chocolate and vanilla, raisiny with lots of oaky bourbon flavors. Slightly tart and appropriately bitter. I liked Obsidian quite a bit but this definitely seems more complex. Very well done stout.

3.96/5  rDev -11.6%

2014. Great looking pour, lots of puffy head that retains throughout the glass. Initially, wet cardboard on the nose followed by wood, molasses. Big licorice, molasses, wood and just a touch of smoke. Some red wine type qualities. Thick and chewy mouthfeel.

4.39/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow I've waited since 2014 to open this one and I'm glad I waited. I'm beyond to happy from celebrating to rate this beer but it truly is a world class beer.

4.15/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a bottle of the 2015 version at a bottle share and I wish we would have let it aged more. Overall great beer, just feel like I jumped the gun and didn't let it sit long enough.

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Got on trade! Served at 12deg C in a tulip.

A- Opens well and pours a 1" high brown head that films out in around 3-4mins or so. Very dark brown almost black colour.

S- Nice chocolate and some heat

T- Complex to say the least. Chocolate and malt. Bourbon and Pinot barrels are there and done well. Not overpowering. Toffee and coffee abound. Lots of flavors.

M- Creamy going down but dries right out. Quite a bit of heat. Touch thin

O- Didn't get any licorice. Huh. Not a bad brew though. Worth having once for sure

Food Pairing

This extremely heavy brew went well with........ BBQ hamburgers with gorgonzola cheese on a toasted bun

Enjoy!

4.59/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2015 Abyss – dated best after 12/08/16 …. couldnt wait to try it so im drinking it fresh! got this recently in a trade with Dinizioj31, thanks again Jeff! Poured into a trillium snifter, appearance is black with a nice mocha head, sticks around a bit.

Wow nose absolutely pops out at you! molasses, dark malts, oak, cherry, licorice, very light funkiness from the wine barrels I assume.

On the palate its sticky sweet molasses, rich burnt malts, vanilla. As it warms getting some licorice and dark fruit, almost no booze... and I was worried about drinking this fresh because others have described it as being hot!

before trading for this beer I read quite a few reviews saying the feel is a bit thin, but I would only say that if I was being extremely picky…. thinner than only the most full bodied stouts – but by no means thin and honestly I think it coats nicely and is silky and thick.

Overall I thought this was both interesting and good, really glad I got to try this - would love to drink an older one for comparison!

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On-tap @ Capone's in Norristown, PA.

5.5 oz serving in a snifter.

Appears black in color and opaque until you hold it up to the light to see that it's actually dark brown around the edges of the glass with good clarity. Small dark tan head that disappears quickly. Lots of great things going on in the aroma like vanilla, cocoa, roasted/burnt malt, molasses, dark fruit, sherry, and port. These carry over to the flavor and you get some oak flavor from the barrel aging. Full bodied, rich, heavy, and vinious.

What a nice surprise to see this left over from the Deschutes event the night before! I'm trying to think of a comparable beer and Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout comes to mind. A great sipping beer for sure.

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deschutes The Abyss 2015 Reserve, 12.2% ABV. This is bourbon/oak/wine barrel aged. Really good, pretty complex in taste, seems like I pick up something new every sip. Might regret cracking this right on the tail of the Pirate Bomb! since my son declined (buzzed from the Pirate) so I'm tackling this one alone. I have another in the cellar to try in the fall, maybe a side-by-side with a 2016. I used my Popener to open it.

4.34/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Everything you've heard is true.This is a world class beer. Deep and dark, slick and sweet, rich smoky flavors with some oak barrel, fruitiness. Just plain awesome! Tasted 2013, 2014, 2015

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

The Abyss - 2014

*DISCLAIMER* This is going to be a brief review as I had this at a restaurant and wasn't paying close attention to it. I do have 2016 aging and will review that later on this year.

Look: Black, pours with minimal to no head.

Smell: Smells great! As for specific flavors, I do not remember and it would be unfair to state a guess.

Taste: It tastes fantastic, I want to say there was some fruit notes that were present and hint of smoke as well, possibly from the barrels.

Feel: I do remember it feeling a little thin for my liking, but that did not detract from the experience.

Overall, I highly recommend obtaining this if you can. It's a great beer and will not disappoint! I will be sure to revisit this review after I've had time to enjoy one without any distractions. As always, consume responsibly!

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Opaque mahogany brown with a thick tan head. Beautiful lacing. Smells of vanilla, bourbon, oak, red wine, and cocoa. Big opening taste with biting bitterness, bread, caramel, vanilla, wood, and wine devolving into a wonderful chocolate and soft finish. Full bodied and not too sweet. Fantastic.

4.21/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

You could do a lot worse than this if you're aiming for an end all be all stout. Potent alcohol feel, but it's complemented well by an incredibly strong roast. Intense and great.

4.06/5  rDev -9.4%

2014 bottle opened on 3/27/2016
L - This pours black with a thin mocha head
S - I get chocolate, coffee, bourbon, and tangy wine
T - The taste is chocolate, bourbon, licorice, oak, molasses, and a spicy bitter finish
F - I found the mouth feel to be a little thin for a stout
O - There was just so much going on in this bottle. I found it just a little too sour for my taste.

3.71/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

2013 Reserve best after 8/16/14

I hear that this is better with time, and the bottle even promotes a drink after date. Very dark and attractive pour. The brown head stands tall for minutes. The nose is leading to a lot of bitter malt. Taste is pretty harsh, even with some time in the bottle. The molasses and anise are not the greatest compliment to this stout. Astringent, dirty penny and tobacco taste. Bitter chocolate comes across fairly nice. Velvety smooth.

4.68/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

'15 Reserve bottle into a snifter. Pours a very dark brown, nearly black and settles completely opaque in the glass. Blacker than Al Sharpton's shoe polish. Topped off with about a finger and a half of bubbly, mocha-colored foam. Wonerful nose, wow. Roasted malt, sweet caramel, dark chocolate, molasses, warm whiskey, burnt leather, oak, dried figs, and dark fruit. Really complex and full - one of the best smelling beers I've encountered. Reminds me of BBB if it were more choclatey and smokey.
The taste is right on par with the aroma. Loads of charred, roasted malt, smokey, oaky whiskey, bitter dark chocolate, figs, juicy dark fruit, caramel, sticky molasses..the list goes on. This beer tastes like anything and everything you'd want in an imperial stout. Some folks are saying this is boozy, some say it's too sharp - nah. Mine says "best by 12/08/16", and right now it's tasting just right. There's a definite alcohol presence in the taste, but it isn't profound nor is it overpowering. I've tasted much worse in the likes of lesser ABV beers. This is hitting the sweet spot right now for sure.
In terms of the mouthfeel, yeah..it's a bit thin. But honestly, as tasty as this beast is, it really doesn't matter much. And that's not something I've ever said before. I'm usually a stickler on the mouthfeel, especially when it comes to big stouts. But this one, somehow..I just can't knock it too much. I'm honestly glad it's not overly syrupy and chewy. If that were the case, it'd be on the level of BORIS or something similar (which was a great beer, but just a lot to take in if you know what I mean).

Frankly, I'm glad I didn't wait to drink this. I was planning to save this for my birthday in February 2017, but an extraordinarily shitty week made me crack this on a Friday night. And so it was meant to be. I don't know how the score will round out, but this may be the most satisfying imperial stout I've laid lips to yet.

3.66/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2014, drank in 2016. I mean, i get that people love this, but it sucks for the price. Acrid is teh first thing i think of. Dark, BLACK malt, with mild bourbon flavor. Overall pretty thin, and just harsh, the barrel does little to alleviate this situation. Bitter, unforgiving, not smooth at all

4.09/5  rDev -8.7%

L- Very dark brown/black pour. Thin, dark tan head. Spotty lacing.

S- Raisin with a little vanilla, hint of bourbon.

T- Bourbon and roasted malt. Booze and oak on the finish. Now and then I get a little dark chocolate.

F- Smooth, but not as heavy as I would have guessed.

O- Solid stout, but not one of my favorites. That said, it's also easier to find than many of them, so it's a nice option.

4.61/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great beer that i'm glad to have experienced.

L: dark brown, almost black.

S: So many flavors hit my nostrils, vanilla, bourbon, red wine, raisins, booze.

T: Fantastic, i think it was great, tasted almost as exactly as it smelled. the wine barrels made it take a turn i was kind of surprised about, it wasnt as pleasant as i thought it could have been, but it made it unique and i still enjoyed it.

F: a bit lacking in this department i thought, was smooth but felt a tiny bit thin as compared to most of this style

O: Very good beer that i'm glad to experience, though i'm not sure i'd chase this down again, i'd gladly drink it.

4.3/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. 2015 edition.

L: Pours an inky black... entirely opaque with 2 fingers of brownish head. Sticky lacing all over my glass.

S: Roast and char... dark fruits, oak and vanilla.... booze.

T/F: Sweet charred malts and dark fruits.. fig and plum in the foreground. A little tartness from the wine barrels... booze and vanilla from the bourbon barrels... notes of chocolate. Complexity abounds. This is the '15 so it's still pretty 'hot'. Very warming and awesome at cellar temperature.

O: A fantastic Imperial Stout from Deschutes, and they've really pushed the envelope as to what can be accomplished with the blending of different barrel aged beers and what comes together is greater than the sum of their parts. Delicious and glad I snagged 2 more to cellar. Can't wait to see how they age.

4.59/5  rDev +2.5%

The Abyss is a solid sipping beer. Definitely not sessionable. It poured an opaque black with tan head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent is a cacaphony of roast, chocolate, bourbon and dark fruit. The taste follows the scent quite nicely but the dark fruit is more of a cab flare. The Mouthfeel is fuller in body with smooth carbonation. Overall it's a must try.

3.57/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Disappointing beer. It was much more thin than I would expect from a barrel aged beer. Very strong tobacco oaky like bitter taste came through that overpowered the taste, maybe from licorice taste as well. Very tart as well because the wine barrels, wasn't a fan of it. Had a tough time finishing this one and was expecting a lot from this beer as well

4.13/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2014 Vintage, stored away from light in ~55 degree beer fridge since purchase Nov. '14.
L: 4.75 S: 4.25 T: 4 M: 4.25 O: 4

Look: This was great. Very dark with burnt caramel head. Can't complain here.

Smell: A lot going on here and a decent balance. Smells bright on top of the dark malts.

Taste: This is the biggest disappointment. For only being 20% barrel aged (11% bourbon, 6% oak, 11% pinot noir) oak came through very strong, almost as much as Oak Aged Yeti (from memory, didn't try side by side). Molasses is noticeable and perhaps the licorice adds to the oak affect (licorice admittedly not something I like) I took my time sipping this beer and the subtle notes were more noticeable as it warmed. Found some cherry and a tartness from the pinot. More balance would make this so much better.

Mouthfeel: Second disappointment. SImply lighter than I expected. Again, it's only 20% barrel aged, but lighter still than Ten Fidy or Founders Imperial Stout. Maybe the name Abyss causes me to expect more.

Overall: 2014 was my first Abyss and I'm not overwhelmed. All that said, I'm excited for the 2015 vintage (50% BA, 21% bourbon, 8% oak, 21% wine) and the 2015 Abyss Rye. What I tasted today will be fantastic with Rye and I will update my reviews accordingly.

Disappointed is the best way to describe it.

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Starts out with chocolate and roast, mid palate the barrel character from both the whiskey and wine come into play and actually blend nicely. Finishes back with roastiness, but as it warms the barrel character becomes more pronounced and weakens the finish. Definitely a great beer but it could use more barrel character, will be seeking out both the rye whiskey and cognac versions of this, and would love to see a double barrel version. I loved this beer and think it'll be even better with age.

The Abyss from Deschutes Brewery