The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Abyss Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,760 | Hads: 6,058
3.94/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2011 Vintage - This was my first experience with Abyss, I had very high hopes and I still do. I have a fresh bottle I'm waiting a few more months on and will try soon. The 2011 vintage had very little in terms of complexity for me, smelled like coffee with very light licorice, tasted like liquid smoke. The biggest highlight was the look which was significantly better than any other part. Overall this was a letdown. I hope to revisit this review when I open the fresh bottle. (483 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is my first of two bottles from the 2014 vintage (best after 11/10/15):

Appearance: Pours pitch black with a thick head of tan foam.

Smell: Light smokey/roasted smell with the faintest trace of bourbon.

Taste: Smokey and roasted, prominent flavors of rich dark chocolate with the slightest hint of bourbon and licorice. Really just not sure how I feel about the balance of flavors

Mouthfeel: not too thick, but still very rich. An incredibly smooth beer

Overall: a complex beer that may need to be aged longer before I can enjoy it properly. (554 characters)

smell roasted, chocolaty, malty, hoppyness. Strong chocolaty character and good hop aroma. Strong head ,hints of bourbon and vanilla, with a nice hop bitterness finish. (168 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First bottle was $18. Didn't want to drink it, so went back to the restaurant in Sandusky, Ohio after a second visit to Cedar Point where I got the first one and was given the next one for just $10. Massive thanks to the owner of the restaurant for this one. I've been looking forward to this beer for quite a long time... and now I have a base to compare my next bottle to in a year or two. Both bottles have a 11/10/15 "best after" date, so I'm breaking some rules drinking this one early.

Appearance: Pours what I'd expect -- a pitch black color with a surprising finger of a creamy, dark brown head... it's called The Abyss for a reason. Sipping down the glass there's actually quite a bit of very nice thick lacing. This is a beautiful looking beer, especially at 11% ABV.

Smell: Man, is that ever interesting... this is an Imperial Stout you need to smell to really understand. Though the bottle says this beer is only aged 11% in wine barrels, I'm getting a significant amount of wine on the nose -- it's a definite, readily apparent warming-to-the-nose, dark red wine smell. There is the slightest hint of oak in there, but I can't say I smell any actual bourbon from the bourbon barrel aging, which is a bummer, for sure. The wine aroma seems to be the most pronounced thing, at least to my nose, and then a deep roasted coffee kind of vibe as well. Of course, this beer smells pretty damn boozy. I can feel the warmth in my nose. I may also get a little bit of the licorice that's listed on the label, but it's faint. There's also apparently molasses and cherry bark in here, but I don't get the former, at least. The cherry bark may be adding to that fruit and roast aroma. I enjoy the smell of this beer, but I feel like the wine manages to take the forefront, which is both surprising and a bit disappointing.

Taste/feel: This is quite a lot different than the smell, and honestly, a letdown. All the flavors coming together makes this beer a bit of a mess, in my opinion, but thanks to Deschutes' ridiculous brewing expertise, it manages to still taste pretty damn good regardless. This beer hits with some alcohol and wine tartness right away. A little oakiness comes in through the middle, and the beer finishes extremely roasty... too roasty. Honestly, like-burned roast, and it sort of gives me an off-putting almost acrid bitterness. The very end of this beer has a deep, deep, deep coffee roast vibe. I mean like putting a teaspoon of coffee rinds in your mouth sort of bitterness, and it keeps me coming back to the beer for all the wrong reasons. I really shouldn't be wanting to get a flavor out of my mouth. I mean I guess I'm fluffing it a bit... it's not THAT bad, but it's certainly not something I enjoy. The feel is actually not super full-bodied -- it's moderately high in body with a pretty pleasant carbonation that is super subtle and barely there.

I enjoy this beer a fair amount, but I am definitely not blown away. The Abyss just has too much of a wine barrel vibe to it. While I can certainly enjoy some beers aged in wine barrels, this one would likely be better without it. It goes in with all the flavors meddling together in a not-so-great fashion, and finishes with a bit of an off-putting intense burnt coffee bitterness. I would certainly recommend trying this beer simply because it's one of the most loved beers on this site, but I would recommend more-so drinking this beer after its "drink after" date, which I intend to do with my second bottle. Hopefully by then that intense bitterness mellows out, and I expect it to. Very good beer, Deschutes, but you definitely have done better work... I may be the only person in the world who prefers Black Butte XXVI to this beer, at least right now. I'll edit this review when I have my second bottle of The Abyss in a year or so.

Mid-bottle update: As the beer's warmed up after about forty minutes or so, the wine barrel-y nose has changed a lot. Suddenly I get more of a milk chocolate sort of aroma with a fair amount of oak and a little more bourbon. There's definitely some dark fruit in there as well, which only adds depth. Adding a quarter of a point to my smell rating because of that. Additionally, the intense roast bitterness fades a tick. It is still very strong, but it detensifies as it warms. For that reason, I'm giving the taste and overall ratings a quarter of a point bump up as well... I should have known not to drink this beer immediately out of the fridge. Its sweet spot seems to be about 40 minutes at room temperature before drinking. (4,559 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Yeah this beer is awsome. Definitely be looking for this one again. Nice dark chocolate and roasted malt which for me is what stouts is all about. Very good brew. You won't be disappointed!!! (191 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Black, golden foam, foamy
S - Roasty, Chocolate, Boozy
T - Smell was stronger than taste. Did not have a big flavor profile. Fairly balanced.
M - A little too flat for my liking, very smooth.
O - After all the hype, I was underwhelmed. Not as complex as I hoped.

Bottled in October of 2014 (drank August 2015)
Served at 50 degrees in pint glass (350 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'm sorry all of you cult followers of the Abyss. It is just too much for me to the point where it borders on beer versus some kind of dessert liquor. I think following at least the German beer law it not beer.

I respect it. It is beautiful in the glass, I feel it simply has too much going on. This is the 2014 consumed in 2014. Poured into a smallish snifter type glass. Consumed from chilled, about 45 up to room temp.

I have another 2014 in reserve I'll try later this year.

A = deep black, it is the Abyss after all
T = burgundy, dessert liquor, licorice, chocolate, cherry, woody taste, reminder me of a beer version of German dark chocolate brandy-filled 'beans'
S = a nice dessert liquor smell with some beer notes
M = a little syrupy in my opinion
O = 4 (766 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A lot going on this beer. Pours pitch black with a decent amount of head. Smells mostly of dark chocolate malts and dark fruits. Little barrel presence, not much bourbon coming through. Fairly sweet and dry. Great stuff here. Can see why it's a crowd favoirt (258 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

This is one seriously complicated beer. The nose is overwhelmingly wine and oak barrel. Pouring it into a glass displayed characteristic inky stout darkness, viscous and clingy on the glass. The taste was complex, but very agreeable. I don't feel anything overpowers the other in the taste, it's quite a nice stout. I'm happy to have tried it, and consider it 'ticked'. (369 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -38.4%

The most disappointing beer I have ever tried. I was looking forward to trying this and the wine smell and taste turned out to be too overpowering for me. (155 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I picked up of 2010 purchased at a local grocery store (Fred Meyer). It should be on your bucket list if you're a fan of the dark, well worth tracking down. First year it was good but not exceptional. Two years later it started having more complex flavor and mouthfeel. By 2014 it's hands down the best stout I've enjoyed . Looking forward to cracking a 2014 vintage in a few years to see how it compares. (407 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bourbon, oak, pinot noir, cigarettes, and leather. Complex and tasty. I gave the 2014 version a score of 3.75ish, and I started to give this year's a 4.0, but as it warmed it became a 4.5. Good stuff. (200 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle dated best after 11/2015:
Found an extra bottle, so decided to pop one before it indicates. Will revisit the review when I have it aged "appropriately".

Pour black with thick bubbly head growing high on a somewhat vigorous pour. The brown head reduces to a foamy ring, with a gossamer coverage of the surface of the beer. Lacing is significant. Very nice.

Nose is dark chocolate with a hint of smoke, a cocoa (hot chocolate) smell with perhaps a hint of vanilla. I also get a very light hint of alcohol, and also a light cherry-like note.

Taste hits on dark roast coffee and the oak up front. These somehow come together to give me a dark chocolate taste. I also get a tart note that I think was the cherry-ish smell I got, but I can see being the wine influence, as there is also a tannin-like dryness that comes with it. The beer is smooth throughout, and the flavor is thick/deep, but the feel is not. Carbonation is so light, but nicely so, I this case. I think perhaps the bourbon/alcohol influence add a nice level of heat to cover for any lacking tingle of carbonation. That said, the bourbon taste is nicely hidden, and is far from the forefront flavor for this beer. Edit: when the beer warms close to room temperature, the cherry comes out a bit.

Definitely a wonderful beer. I opened this after limited time in fridge, sou it was proper temp at the time, I think, by accident. Can't wait to try the next bottle. (1,447 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark as night and very thick. Smells of caramel and molasses - though not super expressive. Tastes of caramel, molasses, smoke, and spice with a creamy thick mouth-feel that is absolutely outstanding. This is one of the best brews I've had the privilege of tasting. (274 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2014 Reserve. Best AFTER 11/10/2015. 650ml bottle poured into a snifter

Appearance: Pours a dark brown (black once in the glass) with 2+ fingers of a dark tan, creamy head with good retention. Body is opaque.

Smell: Roasted malt, chocolate, butterscotch, toffee, vanilla with a hint of bourbon.

Taste: Roasted malt, coffee, black licorice, hint of black currant. Theres an odd, strong bitterness that lingers long after the finish and is somewhat off-putting.

Mouthfeel: Fuller end of medium bodied with a somewhat creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Overall: Good, but definitely doesn't live up to its ratings. The weird bitterness also detracts a bit from it as well. (682 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -10%

Had this a couple weeks back but forgot to review. I remember being disappointed with this overall. In particular, the taste was all dry oak and not well balanced. (163 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

22 oz bottle, 2013 vintage, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a half of a finger of caramel-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Wow! Delicious, earthy, rich, inviting! Massive aromas of roasted malt, imparting notes of freshly baked dark bread, followed by tons of molasses, brown sugar, licorice, hints of coffee, smoke, wood and vanilla. Complex and delicious.

Taste: Wow! Just…wow! Spectacular! Phenomenal! Outstanding! Exactly like the beer’s aroma. Massive aromas of roasted malt, imparting notes of freshly baked dark bread, followed by tons of molasses, brown sugar, licorice, hints of coffee, smoke, wood and vanilla. Complex, earthy, rich, inviting and delicious!

Mouthfeel: Chewy and smooth as there is no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 11.0%, there is amazingly, very little in the way of alcohol on the palate. The alcohol is incredibly well masked.

Overall: This is a spectacular American Imperial Stout! Complex, rich, earthy, amazing! One of the best beers I’ve ever had! I totally understand the hype this beer has. (1,214 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Burnhearts.

Appearance: So, so dark. A very thin tan head delicately floats on top of the beer. Stunning.

Smell: oh my. Chocolate,vanilla, and a faint hint of coffee. This smells fantastic.

Taste: coffee, bitter chocolate ring through on this. This is exceptional.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, bitter coffee aftertaste.

Overall: I have two bottles of 2014 in my cellar. I cannot wait to see how this is post best after date. (430 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Very good. Stood up well to the competition at our rare stout tasting. Whereas I have a tough time getting behind wine barrel aged stouts, this being only partially aged in wine and otherwise in liquor barrels balanced this out nicely. Sour is cut with the other booze. (269 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - The was quite black with bubbles along the sides of the glass.

Smell - Smooth bourbony chocolate nose.

Taste - The initial taste was very dark chocolate. Cherries, oak, molasses. Toward the back, the beer is dry chocolate with a slight warming sensation.

Mouthfeel - The low carbonation allows the stout to stick to the roof of the mouth.

Overall - This is a great stout. I would be hesitant to call it elite. (430 characters)

I hate giving perfect scores. I really do. But, the look was great. What else do you want? The smell was of heaven. The taste was very nice. You can taste a lot going on. Very well thought out beer. Not boozy. Nice barrel notes. I mean...it's perfect for what it is. A+. If you don't like complex stouts then I guess you won't like it. (336 characters)

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Can't drink a 2014 now. You'll be disappointed. Let it age for at least 3 years. NRTD..not ready to drink yet. These have to age at least 3 years. (153 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%

OMG, am I luck, or what? Never thought I'd ever cross paths with this legendary brew.

On tap at The Blue Moon for MCBW, which has been the best event of the week, by far, I might add. Good work, Blue Moon!

I'm having this next to KBS and Black Butte XXVI, and I have to say this is the best of the three. Man, wow! (I'm actually surprised by how less blown away I am by the KBS.)

And can I mention again what an insane lineup this is here at the Blue Moon, today?! (467 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle was between 6-7 months old.

Appearance: Completely dark, name describes this well.

Smell: This was a winner. Even after some months in the fridge, there was a good amount of bourbon on the nose. There was a sweetness from the vanilla as well.

Taste: Bourbon hits first, which is followed by dark chocolate and coffee. There was surprisingly no burn that followed from the bourbon. The vanilla comes through, but more on the nose, than taste. The big sweetness is from the molasses, which is very distinguished. At the end there was quite a lot of cherries. I felt as the beer warmed, I tasted this more.

Feel: very soft feel, for this abv I was surprised it wasn't more viscous.

Overall: With all hyped beers I like to keep an open mind, but this one lives up to the hype. Definitely one of the best in its class. (828 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had 2014 version on draft. I don't understand this beer's popularity. It tasted like bitter teriyaki sauce. No barrel character either. I realize it is expressly stated that the beer sit a year before being consumed, but I'm not sure how much better 6 more months or even two more years can make this. (301 characters)

The Abyss from Deschutes Brewery