Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery

The AbyssThe Abyss

Wants: 2,789
Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Abyss Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,767 | Hads: 6,099
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Side by side comparison of the 2007 and 2008 Abyss from a bottle.

A: Both are very dark like a good imperial stout. Both had a thick foamy head that reduced down and left a lot of lacing on the sides when drank.

S: The '08 had a strong olive smell, underneath that was a bit of cloves, coffee, Chardonnay white wine, and something slightly like molasses. The '07 had a much more mild scent; coffee, vanilla, oak, and malts.

T: Tasted the '07 first: strong high quality coffee taste with a bit of brown sugar, also of chocolate, and vanilla. Had mild notes of molasses and syrup. The '08 tasted like a more bitter coffee, vanilla, cloves, chocolate and maybe a touch of banana.

M: The '07 was thick, almost chewy, very full-bodied. Went down incredibly smooth. The '08 was a lot lighter, not near as thick. Was still smooth.

D: Both were great to drink. Overall I think the '07 was better. Aging definetly improves the taste, mellows the stronger flavors yet enriches the more subtle notes. But both were a pleasure to drink regardless of the age.

4.46/5  rDev -0.7%

11/21/08 marks my five year anniversary and what better way to drown my sorrows, er, celebrate this joyous occasion than by cracking a very-hard-to-replace bottle from the cellar. I told the misses to pick anything we haven't tried. She passes up our recently acquired Darkness, Dark Lork, and Firestone 11 and says "the Abyss." I have an '06 and an '07 and I've never even tasted Abyss before. WTF? So here we go at 53 degrees with an '06 Abyss oh hell yeah.

How dark do you think the Abyss is? I'm looking right at it and I can't say. It's dark. Sumbitch is dark black. Incredible head of dark tan mush. Monumental retention. An absolutely gorgeous beer. I've been waiting for something to give a 5 for appearance and I've found it. Hate to do it, but I don't have a choice. Enough staring, let's move on to sniffing.

I get raisins, figs, dark dark chocolate, and cocoa. Does it need anything else? Powerful and pleasant scent.

Taste is remarkably similar to the nose but in reverse order. I get the cocoa first, then the chocolate and dark fruits.

Of course it tastes good, but what shines here is the silkiness. Smoothest beer ever!!!

Alcohol is .... well, where the hell is it? I feel it a little but sure don't taste it. I know it's there because I'm in a great fucking mood. Just offered to help the brother-in-law move a couch. In 20 minutes.

Did the deed and came back to one more glass of this marvelous monster. It was a little too strong for the missus, so, like the knight in shining fucking armor that I am, I courageously drank her share. Fair trade since I did all the cooking today.

Overall: an awesome brew

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle of the 2007 into a stemless wine glass.

A-Poured with a thin, but very dense, dark brown head, which reduced relatively quickly to a ring of bubbles around the glass. This beer is black, black, with a little more black, allowing no light through. When swirled, it shows some viscosity on the side of the glass.

S-Some very clear raisin and plummy dried fruit estery aromas. Some additional malt sweetness, but most of the malt aromas are roasty. A bit of alcohol aroma is able to cut through.

T-The dominant flavors are heavily roasted malts and raisins. Some other estery flavors also have a chance to come through. There seemed to be some hints of chocolatey sweetness on the edges of my tongue. A smooth alcoholic flavor eases its way in with a prominent warmth.

M-Full, thick bodied beer; medium-high viscosity, as described under appearance. Some graininess, but this is not offensive. This big beer gives me some very nice warmth in my belly.

D-This one is quality! Very enjoyable.

Thanks to my brother Lofgrep for sharing this with me.

4.07/5  rDev -9.4%

It's what you would expect of a RIS but I was not as impressed as so many others who have rated this stout. It is a good stout and does taste good but I would prefer drinking a Stone RIS instead. In all fairness this might age well and taste better next year.

4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

This may be the imperial stout I've been waiting for. (Too bad I have to fly almost 2,000 miles to get another bottle!) As black as its namesake with a rich chocolate aroma. Creamy, dense caramel-colored head, and the creaminess carries over into the first sip right through the last. The flavor is a perfect blend of all the qualities you want in an imperial stout (though most that try to blend these come up a little off): smokey chocolate, raisins, molasses, a faint though unmistakable vinous undercurrent, and some boozy oak. Just sweet enough up front, just dry enough on the finish, with a slight, pleasant alcohol burn. Reminiscent of Leinenkugel's Big Eddy RIS, though more intense, and with a better, dryer finish. I'll be back in the Bay area in two weeks -- let's hope the shelves aren't empty!

4.74/5  rDev +5.6%

I split a bottle of the 2008 and had a snifter of 2007 from the tap at City Beer Store in San Francisco.

The appearance is a characteristic, opaque black, with a fairly dark and thin head and excellent lacing.

The smell is delicious and complex. I get a thick, alcoholic vapor that almost feels like Vicks on a deep inhalation. It's far too complex to fully describe; chocolate and dark fruits are apparent, with some smoke here, some vanilla there.

Taste is excellent. The 2008 had more of a kick of sweetness after swallowing, while the 2007 was smooth throughout. I'm not sure which I liked more, but you should consider aging a bottle (or 10) in the cellar. Vanilla is more apparent, as is a molasses sweetness, with coffee showing up here and there, and I get very faint notes of mint and coconut. The complexity in taste is even more difficult to pin down than the smell; every sip is something new, as the rising temperature, swirls of the glass, and my changing attitude each seemed to reveal a new facet of its profile. A wonderful beer to taste, but a sheer frustration for a reviewer.

This a delicious beer that you don't want to hurry through. I found every sip to be worthy of new examination. The bottle I split was enough to feel the alcohol.

I've stocked my cellar and hope they last through Spring.

4.18/5  rDev -6.9%

Note: 2008 Bottle

A - The glass mimics the event horizon of a black hole. Tall deep tan head that dissipates surprisingly quickly. A good amount of lacing. Almost like cappuccino or hot chocolate. Frothy.

S - Roasted Malts, Licorice, Chocolate and Coffee. There is very little sign of that burnt aroma that characterizes so many imperial stouts.

T - More bitter and fresh tasting than expected (a pleasant surprise). The alcohol is integrated well in the overall flavor of the beer. Dare I say that I was wanting something with a little more heat? Roasted malts are standing tall, with licorice and coffee battling it out for the remaining space on the taste buds. A wood taste is present but only mildly so. This is one tasty beverage.

M - This is probably the smoothest, silkiest, and pleasant mouthfeels I have had. I didn't really know what the term "silky" meant when describing consistency until I had this beer. I gave this a perfect as it is the best I have had, but a little more carbonation would make this off the charts in my opinion.

D - A little heavy for a long night, but 11% keeps the volume consumed in check so that it doesn't become much of an issue.

4.49/5  rDev 0%

I am reviewing the 2007 Vintage with the eager anticipation of getting the 2008 batch in my grasp.

Poured into a tulip glass. Pours ink black with a dark tan head. Heavy malt/chocolate and lesser alcohol aromas. Overall it's very sweet smelling. Nothing harsh.

Nice middle-full body. Super roasted malt flavors, even in the little sips. You're really experiencing the malt first and the alcohol second. The licorice aspect kind of has a dry feel at first, but when you take a breath, you can taste it's sweetness, a very subtle difference from the alcohol. After letting it breath the sweeter attributes start to dominate. Everything as advertised is definitely there. This is a complex beer. It's hard to focus on one flavor at a time, but it's all there.

I'm glad I held on to this for a year. I'll probably wait even longer with this year's batch.

4.87/5  rDev +8.5%

First and foremost, thank you Toby (JohnGalt1) for giving me the opportunity to try this amazing beer for my 50th review.

2007 vintage poured into a snifter.

A- Jet black. Nice finger sized tan head formed and dissipated quickly. Some lace work stuck to the glass as the beer was consumed.

S- The aroma only gets better as it warms up. Very distinct smell of chocolate, roasted malts, and molasses.

T- Complex as all hell. Initially the chocolate and molasses dance on the tongue delivering a delicious flavor. This is capped off by distinct oak flavored, malt bitterness. Again this is a complex beer, even after a year. Really have to try this one for yourself.

M- Thick and viscous. Very smooth and coats the tongue nicely. Just perfect.

D- Highly drinkable given the viscosity and the 11% abv. Drink this slowly and enjoy it for all it's worth.

Toby, thanks again! This was truly a great experience. The complexity this beer offered was amazing. I sipped this beer so slow and tried to drag it out all night solely for the reason that it was the only bottle I had. This beer really makes me want to move out to the Northwest. Can someone send me more, please?

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

2007 release served cellar temp.

Wax is cool but I sure hate trying to get it off the bottle.

This beer pours thick and black. No brown around the edges, just plain black. Nice thick tan head on top settles to about an inch and lingers nicely with lacing left behind. A very nice looking stout.

Aroma was there as soon as I popped the cap. There's certainly oak and red wine comes through too. Chocolate and roasted malts. Nice sweetness overall.

The flavor is super intense. It starts slightly sweet, some carmel, some dark chocolate. Then it hits hard with roasty bitterness that totally fills the mouth. Dark roasted coffee, dark bitter chocolate, and dark malts all at play here. Cherries, figs, and other dark fruits that make it wonder if a Belgian imperial stout might taste something like this.

It's super strong and the alcohol is only slightly hidden. The mouthfeel is good for the style in that it's smooth yet robust. I love the way it coats my mouth and throat in a wonderfully warming way.

Drinkability is great for something this big.

Overall a great Russian imperial stout. I can't wait to try the 2008.

2008 reserve

Poured into a highball glass, it has inky black color and a thin layer of light brown head. The head lingers briefly before settling but leaves a nice rim of lace around the glass.

Aroma has lots of vanilla and oak with roasted malt and hops in equal abundance.

Flavor is excellent, possibly better than the 2007. The dark malts are big but they aren't the center of attention as I remember. The hops seem fresher and more flavorful. The oak is certainly more noticeable. Malts contribute dark roast coffee, caramel, and dark chocolate while the oak aging gives it vanilla and possibly cherries.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy but bitterness (both from hops and malts) and the burn of 11% all come through.

Drinkability is excellent for the style and considering the strength of this awesome beer.

Overall very impressive and ceratinly worthy of its place on BA's top 10.

4.26/5  rDev -5.1%

Big thanks goes out to all of those who traded me The Abyss (Hoppiness, largadeer, and flexabull from the UGLY Duckling BIF), finally decided to crack into a bottle after some months of having them in my possession for my 400th review.

2007 Reserve aged in Oak barrels.

Pours into my snifter dark and viscous, black with no light being able to penetrate, a large amount of tan head that fades slowly with some decent lacing on the glass.

Smell is mostly roasted malt, slight coffee aroma, very mild chocolate presence, some alcoholic heat even after almost a year.

Taste is a hit against the mouth, strong coffee-ish bitterness right up front and melds into a decent sweetness, prickly carbonation, the licorice is very evident (not much a fan of that though, but that's personal taste).

Certainly glad I've got the chance to try this beer and glad I got a couple more to age and see how it develops, I think maybe another year will do wonders.

4.85/5  rDev +8%

Appearance - 2007 reserve - though it does exhibit a cola-ish color coming out of the bomber, in the glass it is as black as can be. A chocolatey mocha head forms up and leaves a thin veil of mocha lace around the glass.

Aroma - heady roasted malts, dark chocolate and coffee notes all in abundance. Maybe a little too much going on to really pick up the oak, at least in the smell. Great resilience though, a start befitting the buzz so far.

Taste - roasted malts, heavy coffee flavors here, espresso-like. Mild sweetness really helps enhance/offset the roast. Light anise and plenty of oak on the swallow. More sweetness with a mild but gaining bitterness as the palate clears. A light abv warmth puts a fine finish on this one as the oak, roasted malts, and intense coffee flavors meld so well. Lengthy finish, too, I find it to be an outstanding flavor overall.

Mouthfeel - a slight heaviness, plentiful body and a proper fullness in the mouth plus a fine silky smoothness. The carbonation is mellow but bubbly too.

Drinkability - worthy of the acclaim; I will cherish the remaining bottle or two for a few more years.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Pouring this one up in celebration of Obama from a 2007 22 oz. black waxed bomber into a snifter.

Appears a thick and viscous fifty year old motor oil black with a tan one inch head that gradually forms after the bubbles make their way through the thick liquid. No light is getting through this one. Not much lacing is left behind.

Aroma is full of coffee, chocolate, molasses, with some hints of vanilla, oak, and tart cherry.

The taste begins with an explosion of dark chocolate, molasses, vanilla, and some oakiness. Becomes more bitter during the swallow with more of a coffee presence, with the other flavors still lingering on subtely.

Mouthfeel is nice and full, thick and velvety, smooth and creamy...I think that's enough.

So far this is probably the tastiest RIS I have tried to date. Just an explosion of delicious flavors. Get this beer!

4.46/5  rDev -0.7%

22oz, wax dipped, bottle shared courtesy of Josh.

Poured a dark, dark (motor oil) black with an averaged sized brown head. Aromas of roast, coffee, caramel, molasses, and very light wood. Tastes of roast, dark fruits, licorice, espresso, very light vanilla, and chocolate. Almost a coffee with cream / latte.

Smooth body that was way too easy to drink. Alcohol content hidden. Nice lacing left on the glass.

Notes from and tasted on 1/18/07.

4.36/5  rDev -2.9%

pours thick and black with a one finger heavy tan head on it. the sent of licorice was verry faint. smeled of burnt malts and dark coffiee. the taste is full and rich, bitter at every stage. bitter chocklate, hops, and coffiee are the tastes of the begining. the middle is a hint of licorice and a mild sweetness that gets sour then the end is sweet alchoal and a bitter bite that wont let your tastebuds go. world class all the way!

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Damn DUDE!

Pours a thick, disgustingly delicious blackness that can only be compared to a black hole. Nice 1.5" mocha colored head that fades slowly with a lot of sticking left behind :)

Molasses but not DL molasses. I don't know much about the stuff but this is different than that. Fudgey with a nice whiskey nose [from the barrel]. Prunes or some other dark fruit is present and bringing in the rear of aromas.

Thick, rich and nasty (in a good way). This is one bad Larry! The thickness has an eruption of chocolate, molasses and whiskey oak. A very good and slightly bitter combo!

Feels nice and heavy but goes down so smooth you can't tell your about to be attacked by some serious flavors. A must pick up and try!

Have one, have two. This is one damn damn great beer. It's up there with the DL and Kate IMHO.

4.97/5  rDev +10.7%

Sampled at GABF for the first time. Probably the most orgasmic first encounter with a beer I've ever had!

A - Dark brown/almost fudge-like, with a rich 3-fingered head of tan.

S - A walnut brownie dunked in a cup of espresso.

T - Dark flavors of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and dusty cocoa.

M - Full bodied, goes down like melted pudding, but with nice acidity.

D - Seriously, like someone melted your favorite decadent dessert and married it with a mellow stout.

I cannot remember being blown away by a first impression like this in quite awhile.

4.62/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After sitting on this bottle for a while I decided it was finally time to open it. Shared with EmperorStan yesterday for a mini tasting.

Pours black and completely opaque. A thin brown head on the pour. Retention was ok, but no real lacing.

The aroma is awesome, I was really in love. Huge roasty malts with big chocolate and coffee notes going on. It was a bit boozey, and slightly floral at times. Just incredible.

The taste is very good and I enjoyed it more and more with every sip. Burnt malts, chocolate and coffee taking the lead. The licorice is noticeable and plays a nice role balancing the vanilla. It's slightly sweet up front and then slightly bitter on the finish.

Mouthfeel is pushing full bodied with a nice moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is high. It's got great flavor, great nose, and it's crazy easy to drink for 11%. Just loved it.

2007 Vintage. Picked up a single in Casper at Poplar Wine and Spirits. I have been waiting for quite some time to be in the perfect mood to enjoy what I have heard to be the definition of the style.

A: Poured a viscous oily, black. Absolutely no light penetrates this beer, no garnet highlights, no color, just blackness, it practically sucks the light out of the room. After a vigorous pour a brown, head emerges, about two and a half inches thick that reduces down to about half an inch. Excellent strata of lacing as it reduces. Beautiful.

S: So many beautiful things going on, brown sugar, chocolate, raisins, figs, booze, licorice, whiskey, this one has definitely been in oak barrels. Cinnamon. Smells like dark breads. So many things going on, very hard to place everything. Coffee. Even some bitter, piney hops way underneath all the other things. This is delicious.

T: Chocolatey, heavy coffee, very bitter, brown sugar, a lot of the smells are coming through in the taste, the hops are definitely a lot more present in the mouth than in the nose. Very citrusy in the hop department. Whiskey is in the taste as well, but a little more subdued than other whiskey aged beers. Very heavy on the dark chocolate malts. That really pops out all over the place. Aftertaste is off coffee and piney hops. The alcohol is quite subdued and hidden very well. This is absolutely fantastic and complex. The deepest beer I've ever enjoyed.

M: Thick, rich, and malty, like a milkshake. Very heavy, not a lot of boozey burn. This is a one of a kind. Absolutely right on with the style. A great thick beer.

D: As heavy, bitter, rich, boozey and dark as this may be. It goes down very very easy. I wouldn't drink many of them but I could. This is a very fantastic beer, and I have not been let down in any way. This is a truly spectacular beer. Right on with everything this style is for. Perfect. Truly perfect.

4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours black with one finger of a creamy, dark tan head and a sharp ring of lacing.

Scent of roasted malts, oats, chocolate, coffee, raisins with some oak and a hint of alcohol. There is a lot going on here, and even with a big complex scent this one managed to be balanced very well.

Taste of oak and roasted malts initially with some coffee immediately afterward. Bourbon, raisins, sugars and a hint of alcohol fill the flavor out extremely well. Finishes with roasted malts and oak, with a slight heat from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is smooth, thick and heavy, charging its way through the mouth and down the throat elegantly.

An incredible beer, one of the very best I have ever had. I can't wait to get some more of this stuff.

4.85/5  rDev +8%

22oz bottle in snifter

looks a little thick, black as can be. a hard pour gets two fingers of deep brown foamy head that settles down into a thin layer on top. smells of booze and chocolate. the mouthfeel is fantastic. rich and thick, but still very creamy and velvety. it is surprisingly smooth and drinkable. the alcohol warms the chest a bit but the alcohol taste is not present. rich chocolate and carmel and coffee flavors with light hops floating in the background. very complex and well balanced.

4.87/5  rDev +8.5%

more pints than I will admit, on tap at the Eastsde Club in Olympia, WA, September '08...

I find I can barely wait to get back to my table, to finally taste what I have so long awaited.

The '07 bottles haven't yet aged into the magnificence of the '06 version, however '07 on tap blows either away. My current score would be 4.65 for '06 bottles, and 4.3 for '07 bottles.

Inky black beer slides slowly out of the glass and into my awaiting mouth. A dark tan head originally tops the rim of the glass and fades slowly to a ring by midglass, then only a whisper by the bottom. Time for another! Certainly no Dark Lord, but quite viscous nonetheless. Black is beautiful.

I can't decide on a 4, 4.5 or 5 for aroma. A few years ago I'd call this "perfect!"...now I've smelled most of the world's best imperial stouts, and find that while there is no fault here, the sheer complexity and strength of some of the others have raised the bar. This beer is lacking...at least compared to a rare few stouts on this earth. Does that mean I can't give it a 5?...Hmm. Chocolate abounds, some coffee here, thought it increased drastically as it warmed, ample molasses richness/sweetness. Barrel notes are light, but there.

There is no debate for flavor. As the 2nd sip hits my lips, any doubt is squashed: what was good from the bottle instantly vaults into my personal top 10 from the tap. Wow. Vanilla and chocolate, roasty and smooth, bitter and sweet. Everything is blended together in breathtaking fashion. Plenty of heavily carmelized/molasses notes, coffee again pretty strong but managing to remain blended in. Other than the body, the lack of alcohol warmth is the single biggest difference between the last several bottles I've consumed and this. There is nothing here to slow me down from sipping this monster until I collapse. I suppose I could rate the beer lower for being "dangerous" or some shit like that...but c'mon: "Too drinkable" is just something people without a designated driver" say!

Silky smooth in my mouth, not too thick, but far from stretched across my palate. My tongue luxuriates in the sensation, and I don't want to swallow...but I know there is a full keg left to be drained, making the sweet/roasty finish less saddening. Back to work!

My compliments to the Deschutes team. Can't wait until the next version, but until I then I'll take solace in my bottles.

Just cracked open one of my cellar bottles from 07 enjoyed on october 3rd 08, it was a tad different, the coffee notes were much more pronounced oddly enough, simply divine even with just a year on it, perhaps not my favorite ris, that honor goes to kentucky breakfast stout however this is a very amazing beer im glad i stocked up on, im looking forward to the 08 and plan on buying alot more than i did of the 07

This is my first review and im just entering the beer snob scene so bear with me.

The beer lives up to its name with its pour, pure black with a reasonably decent head.

Smell was amazing with hints of licorice and chocolate

Beer was incredibly smooth and easy on the palette, very easy to drink as well.

Despite being a beer snob for only a few weeks now I can see why this beer gets the respect that it does

4.9/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours dark coffee color to black with loads of dense tan head. Sticky lacing on the glass when the head finally recedes.

Aroma is almost smoky, with hints of chocolate, a nuttiness similar to hazelnut, butterscotch or toffee.

Taste of bitter chocolate followed with a roasty flavor, nuts, vanilla, some residual sweetness and a little oak in the finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy and rich, with decent levels of carbonation to break up such a big brew. Finish is both sweet and bitter.

Great beer. This was our last bottle of about 8 or so we tried over the last 10 months or so. We've also had the pleasure of having this on tap. Terrific stuff.

3.92/5  rDev -12.7%

A: It pours a dark brown, almost black, color with a dark brown head.
S: In the nose there is roast and coffee. Also with a sweet and malty aroma.
T: Roast and coffee up front. A smooth mid-palate. A little bit of a smokey flavor in the mid. Also a sweet woodsy flavor in the middle (maybe oak).
MF: Medium body and medium carbonation. Also a very smooth mouth feel.
D: Very drinkable. Complex flavors. Good mild roast flavor in the end. Very enjoyable.

The Abyss from Deschutes Brewery