The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery

Wants: 2,481
Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Abyss Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks kindly to PhatAtUT for the trade. Vintage 2010 poured into a big fat snifter.

Pours a solid dark walnut out of the bottle into the glass. Faint solid brown head with some good staying power. Bubbles in the head are all uniform and manage to stick together on tilting the glass. Some small carbonation coming from the bottom but not alot. She's looks good to go. Whiskey thick legs giving leopard print style lacing on the glass. Looks great.

A small but detectable smell of molasses, and then gives way to a smokiness of smoked meat, specifically like smoked sausage. Smoke is salty in character. Licorice smells come out more noticeable on the bouquet after a few drinks. Small nose but noticeable not that exceptionally big or grand. Still solid.

Taste is a surprising hard to identify chocolate at first, and barrel notes of wood tannins. Fascinating finish of lime astringency without the bitterness. Smoked meat sensation is lost from the nose. Heat tannins stick to the roof palate of your mouth and dry you out a bit. Very tolerable carbonation but noticeable also.

Not completely masked abv but pretty good I must say for a very high eleven percent. Great tasting, a beer that changes personality in your hands while you consume it. Glad I had one, and for sure... I want another.

smakawhat, Feb 11, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

2007 vintage reviewed on 12-18-2010. Thanks to scottfrie for sharing this one with me.

A - Almost black color, motor-oil like. Mocha colored head with moderate amount of lacing.

S - Smoky chocolate and molasses aroma.

T - Rich and creamy chocolate malty flavor. Hints of coffee and licorice. Goes down smooth and leaves a tasty chocolate bitter aftertaste.

M - Full bodied. Nice thick and creamy. Moderate carbonation, does not detract from the taste.

D - Goes down incredibly easy considering this is a stout. Very impressive.

bbb099, Feb 11, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

2010 vintage, thanks to Khumbard

A: pours black, with mocha colored head, good retention

S. A balanced aroma of sweet and bitter. Baker's chocolate and coffee are present, also hints of oak licorice and molasses.

T: Very balanced, even while young. Chocolate and espresso as well as some sweetness from the licorice. Malts are present too. Not overpowering with alcohol either.

M/D: Super smooth and one of the most balanced beers I have had to date. There isn't any one thing that jumped out at me in this beer, and that's not a bad thing.

cpmichael, Feb 10, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

After a little over two years on BA...time for my 400th review!

2009 Reserve with a best after date 11/1/2010. Consumed on 2/9/2011. Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours an engine oil black color with very little light shining through around the edges. A nice 1 finger mauve colored head leaves rings of lace and has excellent retention.

S- Definitely picking up some bourbon with plenty of alcohol in the nose. Dark chocolate and some oak coming through as well. I'm noticing a slight bit of funk in the nose and I'm really hoping this one isn't infected. It's minor but I can pick it out. Hopefully its all in my head...

T- Pheww! It WAS all in my head! Warm rich chocolate flavor with tons of coffee coming through in the finish. As this warms, I'm picking up quite a bit more of the molasses and licorice along with some mocha, roasted malt, smoke, bittersweet chocolate, and anise. I have to concentrate to find the bourbon and oak in the flavor. They were both a bit more pronounced in the nose.

M- Full bodied with an incredibly smooth rich feel. The alcohol is very well hidden and I can tell that one year of age did some mellowing to that heat.

D- Wow. Truly a deeply complex brew that is dangerously drinkable. I can't tell if the alcohol is just surprisingly well hidden, or if all of the rich flavor just keeps me from noticing it. Drink with responsibility and caution! Enjoy :)

projectflam86, Feb 10, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter. 2010 Reserve, best after 11/15/11. Screw that, I'm thirsty now. The inside of the bottle cap says "BRAVELY DONE", which I guess is the reward for getting through the wax seal. I can't tell if it's supposed to be laudatory or mocking.

A: Blackety black black body without a hint of light getting through. Modest tan head with a bit of lacing.

S: Chocolate, molasses, bourbon, and alcohol. Like dessert and a nightcap in one.

T: More chocolate and molasses. Subtle bourbon notes. Plenty of initial alcohol heat that recedes as it becomes warmer. Becomes exponentially better as it warms up.

M: Thick and creamy. Thinning effect from the alcohol.

D: As far as stouts go, this is a first-round knockout. Like I said, it improves greatly as it warms up. Unfortunately, this means that it reached its peak right when I was almost done with the bottle. But like they say in showbiz, always leave them wanting more. I can see this improving with age, but it's plenty good right now.

BarrelO, Feb 10, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip. 2010 version.

Appearance: This pours somewhere between mahogany and black, with a ruby walnut corner in the middle. A creamy brown cap sits on top, fading to a few islands after a short while and leavin a few spots of lace.

Smell: Roasted malt, dark chocolate, anise, smooth mild coffee, and a bit of earthy hops. Great balance and depth in the aroma.

Taste: The roasted malt and espresso are the first two flavors to hit my palate. A little bit of dark chocolate integrates well with anise, vanilla, and oak. There are some earthy hops that blend well with the anise as well. The end of each sip warms the stomach.

Mouthfeel: I felt like this got a bit syrupy, which is the only true detractor for me. It has a huge body, a great creaminess, but the light carbonation contributes to the syrupy feel for sure. There is some light residue that sits on the tongue afterward.

Drinkability: This reminds me of Stone's IRS in how balanced it is. Not a coffee or chocolate bomb, Abyss simply presents a variety of enjoyable flavors to you, one after another, letting them integrate over time. A very relaxing sipper.

KickInTheChalice, Feb 09, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -22.6%

Vintage 2009
Infected

A: Pours "stout like" except for the mocha head rapidly rising to massive proportions within my glass. Odd....

S: Sour! Sour cherries, lactic presence. The base beer is almost completely masked. A boozy Flanders Oude Bruin...

T: Not terrible I guess. It sort of reminds me of the zwet.be from 3 fonteinen I had somewhat recently, just not as well crafted....and with alot more cherry. The infection in my bottle must be pretty far along, the sour cherry aspect is still prominent over the base beer.

Hope to taste 2010 soon

beerpirates, Feb 08, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

It pours a coal black liquid with a short living head of foam. Head however laces the glass all the way down to the last drop.

It smells of alcohol and roasted bitter chocolatey greatness. A semi sweet kick of some vanilla I think due to barrel aging

Its very smooth in the mouth with a kick of alcohol. carbonation up front with a Hershey chocolate syrup finish. AMAZING. I get a slight oakyness in the middle of this but not very noticible till the end when you get an aftertaste of roasted wood with the chocolate.

I am thoroughly convinced this is one of my top 3 imperial stouts .

badboyrsl84, Feb 08, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to Mike (mrunseen) for the extra!
Half the contents of a 22 oz. 2010 vintage poured into my Aventinus Eisbock glass.

Appearance: Poured a pitch black with little to no head, decent lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt with a sweetness, either licorice or molasses. Really rich smell.

Taste: Great beer, subtle bourbon lurking beneath the rich malty sweetness. Really like what the licorice and molasses add to this beer. Very well balanced and delicious.

Mouth feel: Very smooth with nice warmth on the finish.

Drinkability: Great depth of flavor, alcohol completely masked. A great drinking beverage for a winter's night.

BobZ, Feb 08, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Undated notes from a recent trip to the Portland brew pub. Served in a 300 ml conical glass and paired with an elk burger and sweet potato fries for lunch. Wet dreams are made from lunches such as this.

It's been a while since I've had un-infected Abyss and this was my first taste of the 2010 batch. Boy-oh-boy what a revelation this batch is...

A: The previously described conical glass arrived to the table with about two inches of tight espresso like foam sitting on top of text book inky blackness. The lacing that The Abyss puts off is just amazing in this format. The foam NEVER faded. 5/5

S: Strong cocoa powder is supported by anise and soft bourbon notes. A treat in a glass is promised. 4.5/5

T: Light vinous notes meld well with the decadent chocolate richness that is amplified to the mousse level by the nitro. Brown liquor is gently warms and brings with it some nice caramel. Bitter cold pressed coffee rounds out the finish and lingers alongside the bourbon notes. This is just a rich complex dessert in a glass. 4.5/5

M: Again the nitro helps improve the score. The creamy elixir is just so damn smooth of the palate. Like a thick chocolate milkshake, a mustache of foam can be left on my upper lip and complete my audition for any future "Got Abyss" billboards. 5/5

D: Fuhgit abaht it... Bahtendah... Ahl 'ave anothuh. 5/5

hopsbreath, Feb 08, 2011

really excited about this one...so going into this with some high expectations. 2010 bottle.

a - if you ever want to make a statement about the ability to age your beer and specialness of cracking it open, waxing the cap would be it. i cut the wax with a straight razor and made work on the waxy cap. after a little bit of work it came off and revealed "Bravely Done" on the inside of the cap...another nice touch. poured a generous portion into my oversized snifter. gorgeously silky black with a soft tan creamy head. leaves a nice spotty trail of lacing when swirling the glass. so far, so good.

s - malty chocolate with a subtle bourbon tease. non offensive and not overly boozy at all. every part of the flavor compliments every other part.

t - YUM. caramel, chocolate, roastiness, subtle wood and bourbon.

m - smooth and bready with a nice bourbony tingle. the wood effect is subtle and creamy and the mouth is cooling.

d - as a really big fan of black ops, this is a beer that brings back that same joy of discovery as my first taste of that beer. i'm glad that i have a few more bottles of this and i'm glad that i opened this now. i only wish this was easier to come by for me. it is beautifully balanced and a real treat in every way. a really fantastic beer. this beer stepped to the plate, pointed at the fences...and then hit a home run on the first pitch.

--- edit --- 2011-11-30
4.5 - 4.5 - 4.5 - 5 - 5
really excited to try the 2011 version of this. thanks a ton brad for zipping this out to me as soon as it hit your shelves! SUPER appreciated.

a - pried the wax and removed the cap...bravely done. filled my cbs snifter. ah...there she is in all her golden silky black glory with that creamy mocha head, seems a bit more frothy than last years. my mouth is literally watering.

s - BAM! milk chocolate roasted malt perfection. i'm not getting the bourbon as much, but looks like the mix is a bit different. the label says with cherry bark and vanilla with a mix of small percentages aged in various barrels (oak bourbon, oak, and oak wine). definitely tamer than last year...i can pick out a bit of the cherry and white wine, but the bourbon is not in the smell at all...and the oak is overall more timid...

t - again, the first thing that jumps out at me is the lack of that bourbon blast. thick decadent chocolate with some mellowing from the oak. the wine seems to shine through most on the flavoring from the barrel and there is a slight hint of cherry.

m - smooth and creamy

o - overall, still a solid beer. that being said, i don't understand how they could've played with such a perfect beer and changed the blend. i guess i'll have to hold my 2010's a bit tighter since 2011 is different and lacks a lot of what i love about 2010. still great, just not as great. much more milk chocolate.

--- edit --- 2012-02-17

5 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5

VINTAGE 2008! (thanks pintplease)
pried the wax off to reveal a 20th anniversary (1988 to 2008) cap. excellent. opened carefully and filled my deschutes snifter.

a - stunning. deep black with a creamy mocha tan head...milkshakey lacing. doesn't get any better than this.

s - deep rich chocolate milk. creamy...perfect.

t - amazing. decadent. the bourbon has been perfectly blended and this is a slice of godiva chocolate cake.

m - unreal feel. creamy and smooth.

o - abyss is my favorite beer. the 2010 blew me away, the 2011...not so much, 2009 i don't like to talk about (infected) but the 2008...OH 2008. what a year! and the time on this beer is simply perfect. this is a real treat and i'm psyched to have 22oz all to myself! iso this beer!

cosmicevan, Feb 07, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

2010 bottle

A= Black as night, poured like motor oil, nice tan head nice lacing, nice carbonation.

S= Roasted barley notes, chocolate notes, some coffee in this one kind of smells sweet not strong but it hids the alchol.

T= Wow really smooth, roasted barley, nice chocolate notes with coffee really like the taste sweet finish get a coffee aftertaste.

M= Good carbonation for this beer, full bodied.

D= Very drinkable for a high ABV. This is a great beer would seek out again.

LiquidBread219, Feb 06, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -13.7%

Bottle from Whole Foods in Santa Monica, CA.

Man this beer was insane. We popped a 2010 vintage open at a party to share among a group of beer lovers. People marveled at how it poured so indescribably black. People commented that they thought we were drinking soy sauce. It coats the glass and looks like you are chugging engine oil. Smell was out of this world, an amalgam of various sweet and savory flavors that was almost overwhelming. I couldn't drink more than about 4oz of it and not sure i could ever finish a whole bottle. One note was that for such a strong beer the alcohol was hidden surprisingly well. My compatriots and i were surprised when we saw the 11% on there, which was a welcome change from the heavy beers we tend to try.

Beernf, Feb 06, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

2010 bottle poured into my tulip glass.

The appearance is motor oil black with a rich creamy brown head.

The smell is phenomenal. A sweet smell of caramel, chocolate, and coffee. The alcohol smell is very present. There was also something else I couldn't put my finger on... I thought it was licorice and while looking at the bottle I realized they brewed it with licorice!

The taste is very similar to the smell. Upfront is chocolate. The middletaste is sweet chocolate, licorice, coffee, and faint caramel. The finishing flavor is like chocolate and coffee had dirty drunken sex... and it was good.

The mouthfeel is creamy smooth.

I would say it has pretty good drinkability, but since its such a good beer you almost feel bad drinking it. I could/would knock a few of these out easily.

adamhimself, Feb 05, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

2010 Vintage. Poured into snifter. I was so excited after getting my hands on a couple 2009 vintages, only to find them to be a sour cherry funk mess. I had to try this stuff again, and this time I was far from disappointed.

A - The Abyss fits its namesake perfectly. This thing is black as night, with a gorgeous dark tan head.

S - Awesome smell. Heavy roasted coffee bean smell; and hints of bitter chocolate, milk chocolate, vanilla, and alcohol.

T - Wow this thing tastes great. That hint of alcohol smell I got is nowhere to be found in the taste. Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, coffee, fudge, ever so slight oak. I love that they only blend 33% in oak and oak bourbon barrels because this doesn't contain any of the burn, alcohol heat, or phenol traces found in 100% barrel stouts such as Goose Island BCS (although I like that beer too). This blend is just perfect. Tastes like a delicious coffee fudge put into liquid form. I could go on all day...

M - Very good mouthfeel. Those tiny carbonation bubbles that I love. Creamy, nice thickness.

D - I downed my 22 ounce bottle no problem, wishing I had more. Drinkability on this thing is great.

Wow, what a great beer. After the letdown that was the 2009 batch, and the letdown (for me) that was the black butte porter, I was expecting the worse; but this beer out-did all my expectations. I was only lucky enough to snag two bottles, but I wish I had two cases of this stuff. I hope the rumors are true, and Deschutes is coming to Wisconsin soon, hopefully by the next time The Abyss is released.

CurtisLoew, Feb 05, 2011
4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into a snifter

A: This one pours bitch black in color as the name would imply. The head is mocha in color and has pretty good retention and excellent lacing.

S: A lot of dark chocolate and roast. There's a bit of sweet maple syrup on the nose.

T: The taste is dominated by roasty malts. I get some milk chocolate in the middle and there's a little bit of nuttiness in the aftertaste. Overall a very balanced beer with a pleasant taste. The etoh is undetectable.

M: Near perfect for the style. Nice viscosity, perfect level of viscosity. Great aftertaste

D: For the style the drinkability is pretty good. The drinkability is probably only limited by the abv and the heaviness. I am glad this was easy to find as I'm excited to have it again sometime.

glazeman, Feb 05, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -19.7%

2010 vintage, bottle into my new Jester King snifter. Drank while video chatting with calbertb2, because we're really cool like that and have lots of friends.

A: Somewhat surprising how light colored the head is, as the beer is pitch black. Two finger mocha head that recedes very slowly with some huge bubbles and leaves some great lacing right off the bat.

S: Coffee, roasted malts, something spicy and cinnamon like, the licorice probably. As it comes out I get more sweetness, bourbon, and wood.

T: Metallic? Too boozy. Great hop presence, seeming like the opposite of an IPA where the hops are a nice backbone to everything else. Some woody smokiness as it warms, and bourbon following that as it continues. The licorice also adds a nice background flavor, but the stinging metallic taste is really detracting for me. Very dry earthy finish.

M: Sharp. I've never used that to describe a beer before, but this really does just kind of feel sharp. I think it comes from the alcohol sting combined with a really bitter, dry finish.

D: The finish leaves me coming back for more, not because I really want it but because I'm trying to figure out what this strange mix of flavors going on is.

tsatem, Feb 04, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +0.2%

Got this in a trade with tsatem, and consumed during a skype conference while he was drinking the same. Very excited for it, and the bottle in my cellar. 2010 Vintage.

A - I like the greeting from the underside of the bottle cap - "Bravely Done." This pours an epically dark black that scares you. There is a substantially dense looking brown head. Looks amazing.

S - Toffee, roasted caramel, oak, licorice, chocolate, and a touch of bourbon. Delightfully complex. Bourbon comes out quite a bit as the beer warms.

T - What a big taste! An intense woody dryness accompanies a licorice/chocolate sweetness on the front, and the dark chocolatey and roasty flavors come out towards the back. I look forward to this with some age on it, but fresh it's pretty hot. It's still good, but I think a bit crude. These flavors could take some time to round out a bit. It all evens out more as it warms.

M - A pretty nice and robust mouthfeel, fairly viscous, a bit chewy. It's not that smooth, feels a bit heavy on the carbonation and dryness. Again, I imagine the age will help out here.

D - Well, it's too hot right now. But I still think it tastes great and is hard to keep away from.

ColdPoncho, Feb 04, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

This is an exceptional beer. Pours just as the name would lead you to believe it would, jet black with a brown head that doesn't stick around long leaving some lacing behind. Smell has a hint of bourbon, lots of chocolate, vanilla and some dark fruits. Taste is of vanilla, dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, not a lot of booze. This beer drinks almost too well for an 11% huge stout. Mouthfeel is perfect, medium carbonation, well balanced. Best stout I have ever had. Great job!

dchew85, Feb 04, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

2010 bottle poured into a Portsmouth snifter.

Pours a thick black with about 1 finger brown/tan head with a nice ring of lace.

One of the best beers i've ever smelt. Alcohol, chocolate, coffee, roasted malts.

Taste is great. Very big beer. Bourbon, but well balanced. Light flavors of chocolate and coffee.

Full bodied. Light carbonation and the alcohol is very well balanced.

Definitely lived up to the hype, one of the best, if not the best imperial stouts i've had. I will definitely be trying to get more of this soon or in the future.

Rick187, Feb 04, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

I love this beer. I had a bottle of 2009 and though it was slightly off it was still very good. But since it wasn't as good as it could have been I will just review the 2010. It pours black with a half inch of of tan head that seemed to stick around for days... It looked fantastic in my stone IRS tulip. I couldn't wait to dive in to this glass of motor oil. The smell was as good as a stout gets. Oak, chocolate malts, vanilla, molasses, bourbon round off the initial whiff. The smells brown sugar and chocolate/vanilla stick around the longest. Love it! The taste is amazing all the smells shine through in the taste, the sweet yet awesomely bitter taste keeps me going back for more. The first third of the bottle has lots of oak and chocolate malts with a ton of sweet molasses on the finish. The bourbon flavor is a bit subdued and I'm sure that's bc it is only 33% aged in barrels. The beer is a bit rough on the edges and all I can think is how good it will be in 1,2 or even 3 years from now if I can wait that long to revisit it (have 2 more bottles). Overall it is a fantastic beer to drink now even though it is a bit young. I feel this could be one of my favorite beers if it ages to the potential I think it has. If you can find a bottle hold onto it and if you can find 2 or more drink 1 now and you won't be disappointed!

HopMasterFlex, Feb 03, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Dark dirty motor oil & nice creamy looking head.

S - Smells of roasted malts, some alcohol but not bad for a 11%. Some coffee or choco flavor but minimal.

T - Tastes of balanced alcohol, roasty malts & hops of some sort, some coffee & Choco background.

M - Smaller to medium carbonation making a balanced mouth feel, some aftertaste but all balanced and tasty stuff going on.

D - Drinks great for a IS, easy drinking and balance but that can get you into trouble with this one....11%! WOW! Average IS taste and feel, appearance is a little better than average making it over the top. Thumbs UP!

SDtastentune, Feb 03, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Soo good. Looks good, smells good, tastes good, it's pretty damn good. A rich creamy tan foam sits upon the black abyss and stays there for minutes. Faint aromas of bourbon and chocolate swirl in a blast of roasted malt. The taste is decadent. Chocolate, caramel, bourbon, coffee, and roasted malt mingle intensly. The mouth feel is rich and chewy, and the finish is minutes as the beer coats your whole mouth. Dangerously drinkable and delicous.

Tripphop, Feb 03, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -2%

2010 Release... Aquired in a trade from GabrielM. Cheers Gabe!!

A- Poured into an oversized snifter... Starts with a 1/2" thick brown head. Lingers momentarily before disappearing leaving some light lacing. Beer is black in color; no light shines through when held up to the ceiling

S- First wiff provides some light malts, chocolate, and wood. After some swirls of the snifter, nose is a bit more pungent with a bit more of the barrel aging aroma coming through

T- Starts out chocolatey, balanced very nicely with a dark fruity malt sweetness. Finish is also chocolatey accompanied by some light bitterness

M- By far the best attibute of this brew. Light carbonation, but so thick you can almost chew it

D- I think there's other Imperial Stouts out there that compare, but this is definitely up among the best. Glad I was able to try it, and highly recommend everyone else giving it a taste if they have the oppritunity

CHEERS!!

bbeane, Feb 02, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

Finally got to try this beer! Vintage 2010.

Pours a pitch black and opaque color with a light brown head showing nice retention and lacing.

Aroma is absurdly complex: dark malts, mollasses, chocolate, vanilla/bourbon, smoke and light booze. Something reminded me also of the smell you feel when you are by the ocean (minerally notes maybe)...weird. Anyway, this is an exceptional smelling brew.

Taste starts with lots of dark malts, chocolate, tons of molasses, licorice, slight dark fruit, smoke malt/wood and ends with coffee notes. Wow, even better than the aroma.

Body is huge and complex, with low to medium carbonation. I finally get some hop presence towards the very end. Not much bourbon character in the taste.

Top notch imperial stout, probably one of the best beers I've ever had. A must try.

paulozanello, Feb 02, 2011