The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery

Wants: 2,484
Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Abyss Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Dec 17, 2009
22 oz bottle 2008 reserve.
The wax top was cool but a real pain to open.
Deep black, no light penetrates at all.
Head is thin, but lasting, leaving spotty lace in it's wake. A layer of alcohol floats on top like a nice port.
Aroma is pure black strap molasses, vanilla, creamy chocolate, and a faint wisp of alcohol.
Flavor is definitlely molasses, vanilla, toast, with some milk chocolate and toasty wood. Finsh is long and has a hint of anise.
Creamy smooth mouthfeel, and no alcohol burn.
Exceptional.

Padron4KM, Jan 10, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Apearance - Pours black. No light penetrates even when held in front of the light. The 2 finger brown head lasts a long time and leaves a wall of lacing.

Nose- Roast malt, licorice, dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla and bourbon are all present and in that order of intensity. Slight booziness in the nose.

Palate- Roasty licorice, chocolate, coffee, boozy vanilla, and bourbon dominate. There is a caramel and molasses back bone present through out that tries in vain to balance this one out, but really only succeeds in taking the edge off.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied, medium carbonation, chewy.

Drinkability- Very heavy, but enjoyable. This one took me longer to get through than most.

Overall- Can't wait to try one with some age on it.

wknight167, Jan 10, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +8%

The Abyss --- Muahaha

Appearance - Black black and more black - thick tan head, beautiful and good retention

Aroma - Toasty , cherry, amazing complex fruity, very tart ( I associated it with astringent and somewhat sour, bourbon,

Taste - Amazingly complex - bourbon, roasty, toasty, chocolate/coffee malts, cherry, alcohol, oak, thick amazing smooth mouth feel, pretty much flawless, *fenne or black licorice, (dark sweetness), *molasses

Overall - Almost flawless imperial stout, I don't think I am a seasoned enough beer taster to criticize this beer. Well done, will most definitely age and taste again

*Idea introduced by fellow tasters/friends.

Zaplt, Jan 10, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

2009 reserve thanks to SpdKilz. Cheers Carleton!

Murky black and opaque body. Darker khaki head is produced, the height was not impressive though the retention was very good. The head eventually works its way back leaving a slight cap perched atop. Full sheet of lacing surrounds the snifter, clinging rather tightly to the sides.

The aroma is spearheaded by the darker smells. Dark cocoa and coffee smells lead into molasses and deep roasted malt. The oak and bourbon are more subtle though still present. Sweet boozy aroma works its way through, reminds me almost of a rather dark cherry liquor. Whiffs of smoke come in and out but not enough to be considered one of the more dominate smells.

Each sip is rather layered and complex. Dark chocolate with more of the dark cherry sweetness roll out first. The cherry tang is picked up again on the aftertaste. Rich espresso wand molasses follow closely behind. Vanilla flavor lingers, could be attributed to the oak though there is not a strong woody flavor. I have read several comments that the hops can be a bit obstructive on the younger bottles though I cannot see that at all. The bitterness pick up, while certainly could be the hops, comes of as more of a deep roasted coffee or dark chocolate bitterness. The bourbon is delicately placed and minimal in comparison leaving a somewhat sweet flavor. The alcohol is present but not to the point of being powerful or ever hot.

The body improves as it warms. This particular bottle has been kept in the basement and served at the same temp, even the little temperature change helps. Full bodied and somewhat thinner than I would like. The lack of viscosity is most likely due to age and more time would have probably helped. Very smooth and creamy texture. The carbonation is moderate and does tingle the tongue on occasion. Slick and oily on the long with a rather long lasting finish.

There was a debate for me on whether or not to open this or not. I am certainly glad I did. I have no doubt this would improve with age though it is not needed to be enjoyable. The flavors are incredibly enjoyable and layered to perfection. The alcohol is pleasant and rather well hidden. I will definitely be seeking this out again in later years. Fantastic beer.

kzoobrew, Jan 09, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

2009- 2 months old - A:5 S:5 T:5 M:4.5 D:5
Notes: Needs some time, hops are too strong, however still a five on taste. Body is a little thin.

2008- 5 moths old - A:4.5 S:5 T:5 M:5 D:5
Notes: Head didn't leave a huge amount of lacing, but looked amazing.

General review
A: Dark body that's basically black. Huge perfect whipped looking brown head with great retention and lots of lacing.

S: Strong roasted malts with a molasses sweetness. Strong notes of bourbon and roasted coffee. This is a very strong scented beer with complexity.

T: So much happens on the first sip, it's hard to keep it all strait. Lots of roasted malts with molasses sweetness which is made stronger through the licorice. chocolate kicks in a bit, but is dominated by burnt coffee beans. There's a bit of a hop note, but not too much. I dare say perfection.

M: Note extremely thick, at least compared to Dark Lord or any other big stout, however it's still very full bodied.

D: Wow, for how big of a beer this is it's very drinkable. Usually with big stouts, I find it very hard to take down a bomber. This beer is easily drinkable by the bomber for one person, much more than I can say for anything else I've had of the style.

I honestly believe this beer my be perfect after a year or two aging.

AdmiralDiaz, Jan 09, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

A 2009 vintage, bought 4 bottles, wanted to try one fresh.

Beautiful pitch black beer, with a creamy, dark tan head. It just has the look of a serious beverage. I do think the wax dipping is cool to look at, but its really an inconvenience when the time comes to open it, a small piece of wax ended up in the beer... Not cool, not cool at all...

Maybe my nose isn't that strong, but I barely got an aroma out of this beer. Only a very mild hint of burnt, charred grains. I wish it had a stronger smell to it. But then again, you don't brew beer to smell it...

Wow, this beer is complex and layered like few other beers. Starts off with the flavors of dark chocolate and espresso then slowly shifts into molasses and hints of licorice, which did not give as much bitterness as I expected. The Abyss leaves an aftertaste of vanilla, dried cherries, and burnt grains (which is a good thing for this brew).

Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel, and doesn't have a thick or viscousy consistency that many other high abv beers have.

This beer has some room to age. The alcohol is present, but one might not guess it was 11%. That said its fairly easy to drink. It is quite tempting to open my other bottles, but I think the reward of letting these guys mellow out a bit will be well worth the wait.

DoesntMatter46, Jan 08, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6.6%

2008 vintage poured into a large snifter to review.

Pour is rather thick. The head is ultra dense and a very dark brown in color (one of the darker heads I've seen). A thin layer of dark retention and great lacing. Black in color.

This is a complex and inviting nose. In order, I detect roasted malt, dark cocoa nibs, creme, oak, bourbon, smoke, leather and tobacco. All very intense, yet well balanced.

In the mouth is much more of a roasted coffee taste with very dark chocolate. As it warms, the creme flavors become more pronounced. Not detecting much of a molasses presence as indicated on the bottle. Also no licorice aroma or taste either to me. Alcohol well disguised in both taste and smell.

Very full body, thick and creamy, bordering chewy. Lightly carbonated and a long finish of nice roasted malt, fine coffee and dark chocolate.

A fine Imperial Stout that fits in with the best.

ibbjamin, Jan 07, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

Impenetrable black rests beneath a mahogany brunette crown. The head refuses to back off, daring anything to try to enter.

I smell strong licorice, regardless of what other "Top Reviewers" say. There are dates, expired plum and a hit of bourbon.

The bourbon is more prominent in the taste, but is still in the finish just as a hint. Up front is chocolate bitterness, some coffee and vanilla.

The mouth feel is watery yet very smooth. I prefer thicker, chewyer stouts, but I am amazed at how well this one glides through the mouth.

The drinkability is where this beer really shows its maker's talent. It is eleven percent all the while drinking so smoothly. Well done!

Thanks John! I really appreciate this one!

Edit: my first review was of a fresh 2009 The Abyss. Now, I am enjoying a 2008 The Abyss. I raised smell and taste to a 4.5 from 4.0. The smell is more complex than what I remember. The taste is superior to what I remember, also. In both there is the reminiscent smell of smores. It is bursting with chocolate, marshmallow, graham cracker, followed by the bourbon and oak. The feel is thicker than what I remember. This is such a smoother-well rounded- stout after a year and a half. Well done!

JosephLondon, Jan 07, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

Held on to this as long as I could (which wasn't very long) before I had to crack it open. Poured a deep dark opaque brown with a golden dark khaki head that changed into a lighter tan as it sat. Creamy, tiny bubbles and a solid two finger height on a less than vigorous pour. Head retention is excellent and it laces well.

Smell is very complex with multiple aromas with bitter chocolate leading the way, but a citrus sweetness follows with the licorice and bourbon notes as well.

Taste is equal in complexity to the smell with the bourbon more prominent, chocolate bitterness presents afterward along with some alcohol.

Mouthfeel is excellent, creamy and chewy with the extremely tight carbonation and alcohol warming.

Overall drinkability is limited by ABV only, but consistent with the style. If not for the potency, this balanced brew could be enjoyed for days.

jacobseyb, Jan 06, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Cracking this bad boy open in celebration of my 1st year BAnniversary. This is the 08 edition, and if I am not mistaken (it's been a while... so I may be imagining things...) I owe great thanks to AgeOfQuarrel for this brew.

A: Black as obsidian. A nice mocha colored head on top, which slowly falls into the glass, leaving a trail of lacing as it exits.

S: Oak is very present. Chocolate, and smoke. Picking up just a hint of the bourbon, but I pick up a lot more of the bourbon, and oak as this warms a bit.

T: Big. Malty, and burnt flavors up front, in the finish there are notes of dark chocolate, smoke, licorice, and a certain sweetness.. presumably from the molasses. Perhaps just a bit of a bite from the alcohol. As it warms, the bourbon is a bit more prevalent.

M: Thick, creamy and smooth. This beer is smooth like a milkshake, but the bite is all Imperial Stout. Carbonation is right on.

D: Man this is a tasty beer. So glad that I got to try it. And boy do I wish I had more. A fine brew, thick, creamy, delicious, and leaves me wanting much much more...

Beejay, Jan 05, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -4.9%

2008 vintage... Pours a deep dark, near black with beautiful khaki colored head. Great retention and lacing. Smell is an great earthy blend of dark cocoa, medium roasted espresso beans, vanilla, oak, sweet molasses with hints of spice such as anise. Taste is a touch more blended, smooth and mild then scent dictated, with all of the above charachters noted. The oak aging really makes this beer smooth, mellow and creamy, but feels thinner than i had hoped. Very good beer, but maybe didnt live up to the hype as much as i had hoped.

UPDATE: Upon revisting this brew, a 2009 vintage, I found the scent to contain less of the coffee and a chocolatey dark cherry and alcohol tone. Still pleasant, but different. Taste is a touch more aggressive at first, but as the palate is coated, the impact lessens. A bigger bozzy kick on the tongue, guessing this needs a little more age. The body is improved, thicker and more coating. Still a good beer, be interested to see how my other '09 tastes in a few months.

rfgetz, Jan 04, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -2%

2009 Vintage poured into a snifter. This is my first time having this sought after brew.

Appearance it poured pitch black with little cappucino colored head and nice lacing on the glass.

Smell was great, maltiness, oak, bitter chocolate and alcohol was upfront, I was a little dissappointed that the molasses and licorice was not as apparant.

Taste really delivered. I really noticed the bitter chocolate, oakiness and as it warmed subtle notes of bourbon, molasses and licorice became noticeable. I detected faint hints of toffee and fig as well. I was very pleased with the finish that is not too sweet compared to some of the other big stouts, which I prefer.

Mouthfeel was excellent, thick, chewy and coated the palette.

Driankability was good, I thought it was a little hot and I suspect that with a little more age on the bottle I would have given this beer higher marks in this category.

I think the aging potential of this beer is exceptional. I look forward to revisiting this in about 1 year. This beer deserves it's ranking as on of the best on BA.

pmoore311, Jan 03, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to stevemcqueenjr for sharing this great brew!!
We did a vertical of '06, '07 and '08 and I'm reviewing the best of them being the '06.
A - Deep and dark brown/black. A smallish brown head is what I get.
S - Huge nose. Chocolate malts, Creamy smelling. Licorice.
T - Malty and chocolaty up front. Some sweetness up front. Delicious. black licorice, some bourbon. A long lingering aftertaste of chocolate and coffee.
M/F - Creamy and smooth wonderful. really an impressive beverage.
D - Behind Kate the Great the '06 Abyss is the best RIS out there in my experience with the '07 not too far behind.

ThirstyBird, Jan 02, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

My fiance got me three of these for Christmas.

Appearance- black color, really nice dark tan head, nice lacing

Smell- sweet, caramel, molasses, wonderful aroma

Taste- bitterness up front, roated malts and coffee come in later

Mouthfeel- smooth, full bodied

Drinkability- Excellent! Awesome Imperial Stout I love it

jeffjeff1, Jan 02, 2010

Bought a 2009 bottle on a business trip to Oregon...didn't really know what I had until myself and my beer cohort opened it one Friday night. Getting into it is a bit of challenge (wax sealed without the help of a tab a la Maker's Mark) but once we were in this beer is easily top 3 of any beer I have ever had. Complex smells of vanilla, caramel, and coffee along with a thick and darker than basically anything else I have ever poured
appearance.
Taste is strong but just not too strong as the 11% ABV is well hidden. I could taste the licorice right away. That and the vanilla notes are really what set this Imp Stout apart for me. I plan to get another few bottles of this beer if I can and age at least one to retry as I am told this will mellow out any of the ethanol taste that exists in a newer bottle.
Overall, aside from Rochefort 10 and possibly the Duck Rabbit Imperial Stout (which both hold a special place in my heart) I feel this beer is easily the most complex and interesting that I have ever consumed.

rustymoore, Jan 01, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

'08 vintage. Shared w/dad as our beer to ring in the new year.

A- Body is a solid dark brown/nearly black hue with a slight tint of auburn to it. Pours with an approximately 1 finger foamy dark tan head that quickly subsides to a thin collar. Small traces of lacing are left in the glass. When held up to the light the hue does not change and no light passes through.

S- Magnificent. This truly has the perfect aroma for an imperial stout. Upon opening the bottle a sweet aroma came through of sweet molasses, vanilla, and mocha. These are the dominant aspects of the nose but there is also a hint of roasted malt. Not even a hint of phenols can be detected.

T- The flavor is mildly sweet and complex upfront. Vanilla and molasses are the dominant flavors upfront but oak and roasted dark malt flavors provide a very substantial backbone to mellow out the sweetness. The finish is sweeter with a rush of molasses caramel and vanilla which are quickly doused by a big roasted malt bitterness. Everything subsides and balances out in the end- Roasted malt is the highlight but vanilla, molasses, oak, and a mild alcohol heat are also present.

M- Medium carbonation and a medium to heavyweight an ever smooth body.

D- This is a wonderful stout and one of the best that I have had. I see why it is ranked among the best. The best thing about it is the balanced character it portrays in the flavor...one of my new favorite imperial stouts...and I will be trading for it again.

PittBeerGirl, Jan 01, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2009 Bottle
(Opened before the 'best after' date. OOPS)

Beautiful jet black beer that even when held up to bright light reveals only the faintest tawny edges.

Caramel sweet smell, somewhat dominant alcohol with chocolate coffee and hops.

Flavor has complex chocolate coffee and burnt malts, very sweet yet drinkable, finishing with a nice bold hop bitterness.

Fantastic, complex, and surprisingly drinkable 11% Imperial.

Worth a try!

YOOJ, Jan 01, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -6%

Had an '07 vintage on New Year's Eve '09...

A: Looks phenomenal. Completely dark with a decent 1 inch mocha colored head. Perfect.

S: Smells intensely boozy. Very smooth smelling with a dark fruit scent in the mix.

T: Very complex flavors. Immediately hoppy and boozy upfront. Hidden in the backround is some great oakiness, roasted malts, and slight hints of vanilla and cocoa. Very good, but not quite perfect.

M: Perfect! Amazingly smooth. Perfect balance of carbonation and smoothness.

D: Once you get past the booziness, it's awesomely enjoyable and goes down very easy.

All in all, this brew was great, but didn't really exceed my expectations. However, my expectations were very high. So, it rated very amazing. Good stout example. If you like your stouts hoppy and boozy, then this is your brew, dead on.

steve8robin, Jan 01, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

I was lucky enough to try this twice in three days in mid-December, the first time a 2007 and the second time a 2009. I am scoring the 2009 but will also include a review of the 2007.

2009 bottle provided by Exiled.
Pours black with a brown head. The aroma is smokey oak with some roasted malt. The flavor is strong chocolate with some vanilla and licorice. Medium-thick mouthfeel. Tried this with Ghiradelli cocoa with a caramel center and it was amazing.

2007 bottle provided by Cavie.
A: 4.5 S: 4.5 T: 4.5 M: 4.5 D: 4.5
Aroma was more coffee and chocolate than in the 2009 vintage. The roasted malt and slight smoke were absent. The flavor was more of a milk chocolate with some vanilla. Overall, I think the 2009 was a little bit better but the 2007 was still a great beer.

Mora2000, Dec 31, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tasted this while in CA hanging with friends and visiting breweries. We had this before doing a Stone Impy Stout vertical.

The pour is black, super black. Beautiful brown head. The aroma is strong, coffee and chocolate notes, big roasted malt character. The taste is incredible and surprisingly refined, I assumed from the aggressive nose that this beer would be pretty rough on the palette, but its not. I really wish I had this available to me in VA, I'd buy a case to cellar and a case to drink. One of the very best impy stouts I've ever had.

tattooedtolley, Dec 30, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

thanks to taps in petaluma, finally doing an "on-tap" review!

-2 fingers of espresso brown colored puffy/cloud style head. good and black with great lacing for a stout

-bunch of chocolate and coffee in there. good hint of bourbon. would have been a 5 if it had been apparent the whole trip

-strong dark chocolate up front then some vanilla and licorice rolls in with some bourbon on the back end. bourbon is very nice, not overpowering at all. dark chocolate is the strong aftertaste

-a bit on the carby side, but everything else is very nice. thick, and rich

-would never, ever turn this beer down if available. so damn good. in the top 3-5 for a reason!

juhl31, Dec 28, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -24.8%

2009 Vintage

Wanted to love this beer: appearance and smell are near perfect for a BA RIS, and the mouthfeel isn't too far behind, though a bit thin. But the 09 vintage has so much bitterness that gets in the way of an otherwise great RIS. So much so, it took me a long while to get through a single glass. I'll let some bottles sit for a while to see if the edges soften up and re-review at that time, but I'm clearly not in the majority with this one.

jwjon1, Dec 28, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

This is one of the best stouts for the money you can land. It is well deserving of it's place among the hierarchy of best beers on the BA list. This delivers a smooth awesomeness with all the right flavors and roasted malts and overtones of dark fruits in all the right places and the barrel aging is the mellowing factor that pushes this one over the top..Hat's off to Deschutes for a high quality job on this well made Stout.!

hrking, Dec 26, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into pint glass...i know i know should be a tulip.

A: Pours a pitch black with hints of brown around the edges. Huge mocha four finger head forms and falls slowly, very creamy and thick. Excellent lacing left behind as it falls.

S: Bourbon, molasses, caramel malt, coffee, bittersweet chocolate...and it keeps going and going...

T: Follows nose with heavy roasted malt and bourbon, chocolate, coffee, burnt caramel, smoky depth of goodness. Wow. Amazing!

M: Medium heavy body, light carbonation, extremely smooth, only slightly boozy mid-palate but in a good way. Wow again!

D: You want to keep drinking this....massive flavor and aroma with minimal booziness slowing things down...this is a world class beer for sure. Amazing!

RedBrewer83, Dec 26, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

An enormous appreciation to JohnGalt1 for this brew!

A- 2007 vintage poured into a snifter glass reveals an opaque brew with two fingers of tan colored head. Excellent head retention and lacing.

S- Lots of stuff going on here. Licorice, dark roasted chocolate and coffee, and some oakiness come through. No aroma really seems to dominate, a well balanced beer.

T- Lots of licorice flavors and also a bit of a roasted flavor. Not overly sweet, which was a welcome surprise. It seems like too many Imperial Stouts are way too sweet these days. Finishes off with bit of an oaky flavor.

M- Exceptionally smooth with a chewy mouthfeel. Heavy bodied with little carbonation.

D- Surprisingly good. Since it's not overly sweet I could have easily knocked off the bomber by myself but I had some friends to share it with. A great sipper.

Overall, there was no real booziness to the beer, which isn't incredibly surprising since it's been cellared for 2 years. I'll soon have a fresh '09 Abyss to compare this one too.

Toby, you are truly the man for hooking me up with this brew!

kbeals, Dec 24, 2009