The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery

Wants: 2,590
Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Abyss Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 bottle poured into my tulip glass.

The appearance is motor oil black with a rich creamy brown head.

The smell is phenomenal. A sweet smell of caramel, chocolate, and coffee. The alcohol smell is very present. There was also something else I couldn't put my finger on... I thought it was licorice and while looking at the bottle I realized they brewed it with licorice!

The taste is very similar to the smell. Upfront is chocolate. The middletaste is sweet chocolate, licorice, coffee, and faint caramel. The finishing flavor is like chocolate and coffee had dirty drunken sex... and it was good.

The mouthfeel is creamy smooth.

I would say it has pretty good drinkability, but since its such a good beer you almost feel bad drinking it. I could/would knock a few of these out easily.

4.6/5  rDev +2%

2010 Vintage. Poured into snifter. I was so excited after getting my hands on a couple 2009 vintages, only to find them to be a sour cherry funk mess. I had to try this stuff again, and this time I was far from disappointed.

A - The Abyss fits its namesake perfectly. This thing is black as night, with a gorgeous dark tan head.

S - Awesome smell. Heavy roasted coffee bean smell; and hints of bitter chocolate, milk chocolate, vanilla, and alcohol.

T - Wow this thing tastes great. That hint of alcohol smell I got is nowhere to be found in the taste. Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, coffee, fudge, ever so slight oak. I love that they only blend 33% in oak and oak bourbon barrels because this doesn't contain any of the burn, alcohol heat, or phenol traces found in 100% barrel stouts such as Goose Island BCS (although I like that beer too). This blend is just perfect. Tastes like a delicious coffee fudge put into liquid form. I could go on all day...

M - Very good mouthfeel. Those tiny carbonation bubbles that I love. Creamy, nice thickness.

D - I downed my 22 ounce bottle no problem, wishing I had more. Drinkability on this thing is great.

Wow, what a great beer. After the letdown that was the 2009 batch, and the letdown (for me) that was the black butte porter, I was expecting the worse; but this beer out-did all my expectations. I was only lucky enough to snag two bottles, but I wish I had two cases of this stuff. I hope the rumors are true, and Deschutes is coming to Wisconsin soon, hopefully by the next time The Abyss is released.

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter

A: This one pours bitch black in color as the name would imply. The head is mocha in color and has pretty good retention and excellent lacing.

S: A lot of dark chocolate and roast. There's a bit of sweet maple syrup on the nose.

T: The taste is dominated by roasty malts. I get some milk chocolate in the middle and there's a little bit of nuttiness in the aftertaste. Overall a very balanced beer with a pleasant taste. The etoh is undetectable.

M: Near perfect for the style. Nice viscosity, perfect level of viscosity. Great aftertaste

D: For the style the drinkability is pretty good. The drinkability is probably only limited by the abv and the heaviness. I am glad this was easy to find as I'm excited to have it again sometime.

3.63/5  rDev -19.5%

2010 vintage, bottle into my new Jester King snifter. Drank while video chatting with calbertb2, because we're really cool like that and have lots of friends.

A: Somewhat surprising how light colored the head is, as the beer is pitch black. Two finger mocha head that recedes very slowly with some huge bubbles and leaves some great lacing right off the bat.

S: Coffee, roasted malts, something spicy and cinnamon like, the licorice probably. As it comes out I get more sweetness, bourbon, and wood.

T: Metallic? Too boozy. Great hop presence, seeming like the opposite of an IPA where the hops are a nice backbone to everything else. Some woody smokiness as it warms, and bourbon following that as it continues. The licorice also adds a nice background flavor, but the stinging metallic taste is really detracting for me. Very dry earthy finish.

M: Sharp. I've never used that to describe a beer before, but this really does just kind of feel sharp. I think it comes from the alcohol sting combined with a really bitter, dry finish.

D: The finish leaves me coming back for more, not because I really want it but because I'm trying to figure out what this strange mix of flavors going on is.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in a trade with tsatem, and consumed during a skype conference while he was drinking the same. Very excited for it, and the bottle in my cellar. 2010 Vintage.

A - I like the greeting from the underside of the bottle cap - "Bravely Done." This pours an epically dark black that scares you. There is a substantially dense looking brown head. Looks amazing.

S - Toffee, roasted caramel, oak, licorice, chocolate, and a touch of bourbon. Delightfully complex. Bourbon comes out quite a bit as the beer warms.

T - What a big taste! An intense woody dryness accompanies a licorice/chocolate sweetness on the front, and the dark chocolatey and roasty flavors come out towards the back. I look forward to this with some age on it, but fresh it's pretty hot. It's still good, but I think a bit crude. These flavors could take some time to round out a bit. It all evens out more as it warms.

M - A pretty nice and robust mouthfeel, fairly viscous, a bit chewy. It's not that smooth, feels a bit heavy on the carbonation and dryness. Again, I imagine the age will help out here.

D - Well, it's too hot right now. But I still think it tastes great and is hard to keep away from.

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

This is an exceptional beer. Pours just as the name would lead you to believe it would, jet black with a brown head that doesn't stick around long leaving some lacing behind. Smell has a hint of bourbon, lots of chocolate, vanilla and some dark fruits. Taste is of vanilla, dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, not a lot of booze. This beer drinks almost too well for an 11% huge stout. Mouthfeel is perfect, medium carbonation, well balanced. Best stout I have ever had. Great job!

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

2010 bottle poured into a Portsmouth snifter.

Pours a thick black with about 1 finger brown/tan head with a nice ring of lace.

One of the best beers i've ever smelt. Alcohol, chocolate, coffee, roasted malts.

Taste is great. Very big beer. Bourbon, but well balanced. Light flavors of chocolate and coffee.

Full bodied. Light carbonation and the alcohol is very well balanced.

Definitely lived up to the hype, one of the best, if not the best imperial stouts i've had. I will definitely be trying to get more of this soon or in the future.

4.33/5  rDev -4%

I love this beer. I had a bottle of 2009 and though it was slightly off it was still very good. But since it wasn't as good as it could have been I will just review the 2010. It pours black with a half inch of of tan head that seemed to stick around for days... It looked fantastic in my stone IRS tulip. I couldn't wait to dive in to this glass of motor oil. The smell was as good as a stout gets. Oak, chocolate malts, vanilla, molasses, bourbon round off the initial whiff. The smells brown sugar and chocolate/vanilla stick around the longest. Love it! The taste is amazing all the smells shine through in the taste, the sweet yet awesomely bitter taste keeps me going back for more. The first third of the bottle has lots of oak and chocolate malts with a ton of sweet molasses on the finish. The bourbon flavor is a bit subdued and I'm sure that's bc it is only 33% aged in barrels. The beer is a bit rough on the edges and all I can think is how good it will be in 1,2 or even 3 years from now if I can wait that long to revisit it (have 2 more bottles). Overall it is a fantastic beer to drink now even though it is a bit young. I feel this could be one of my favorite beers if it ages to the potential I think it has. If you can find a bottle hold onto it and if you can find 2 or more drink 1 now and you won't be disappointed!

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Dark dirty motor oil & nice creamy looking head.

S - Smells of roasted malts, some alcohol but not bad for a 11%. Some coffee or choco flavor but minimal.

T - Tastes of balanced alcohol, roasty malts & hops of some sort, some coffee & Choco background.

M - Smaller to medium carbonation making a balanced mouth feel, some aftertaste but all balanced and tasty stuff going on.

D - Drinks great for a IS, easy drinking and balance but that can get you into trouble with this one....11%! WOW! Average IS taste and feel, appearance is a little better than average making it over the top. Thumbs UP!

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Soo good. Looks good, smells good, tastes good, it's pretty damn good. A rich creamy tan foam sits upon the black abyss and stays there for minutes. Faint aromas of bourbon and chocolate swirl in a blast of roasted malt. The taste is decadent. Chocolate, caramel, bourbon, coffee, and roasted malt mingle intensly. The mouth feel is rich and chewy, and the finish is minutes as the beer coats your whole mouth. Dangerously drinkable and delicous.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

2010 Release... Aquired in a trade from GabrielM. Cheers Gabe!!

A- Poured into an oversized snifter... Starts with a 1/2" thick brown head. Lingers momentarily before disappearing leaving some light lacing. Beer is black in color; no light shines through when held up to the ceiling

S- First wiff provides some light malts, chocolate, and wood. After some swirls of the snifter, nose is a bit more pungent with a bit more of the barrel aging aroma coming through

T- Starts out chocolatey, balanced very nicely with a dark fruity malt sweetness. Finish is also chocolatey accompanied by some light bitterness

M- By far the best attibute of this brew. Light carbonation, but so thick you can almost chew it

D- I think there's other Imperial Stouts out there that compare, but this is definitely up among the best. Glad I was able to try it, and highly recommend everyone else giving it a taste if they have the oppritunity

CHEERS!!

4.6/5  rDev +2%

Finally got to try this beer! Vintage 2010.

Pours a pitch black and opaque color with a light brown head showing nice retention and lacing.

Aroma is absurdly complex: dark malts, mollasses, chocolate, vanilla/bourbon, smoke and light booze. Something reminded me also of the smell you feel when you are by the ocean (minerally notes maybe)...weird. Anyway, this is an exceptional smelling brew.

Taste starts with lots of dark malts, chocolate, tons of molasses, licorice, slight dark fruit, smoke malt/wood and ends with coffee notes. Wow, even better than the aroma.

Body is huge and complex, with low to medium carbonation. I finally get some hop presence towards the very end. Not much bourbon character in the taste.

Top notch imperial stout, probably one of the best beers I've ever had. A must try.

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

22oz bottle poured into snifter - 2010 vintage

Pours a midnight inky black, a bubbly coffee brown head fades into film which leaves behind curtains of tanned lacing along the glass.

Intense scents of chocolate, earthy oaked bourbon, molasses, lighter licorice, a touch of molasses sweetness, and boozy warmth.

Warm roasted malt up front with vanilla and molasses accents. Smooth bourbon undertones with some richer chocolate splashes. Very slight smoke and coffee, followed by some syrupyness and pleasantly subdued licorice. Plenty of boozy warmth towards the finish but manages to leave the profile in tact.

Ultra velvet cloudy smoothness, milder carbonation, full syrupy body. So delicious and pleasant on all the senses, one of the better imperial stouts I've had lately, especially since this was a beer I've been waiting about two years to try. Some age on this would be even better, as the alcohol heat was probably the only obvious negative aspect.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Review # 800!

2010 vintage, consumed February 1st, 2011 at 50 degrees F in my trusty Triple Petrus snifter.

Beer pours black with a dark brown two-finger head that quickly becomes nothing but a very sticky crown. Expected the head to last longer...

Aroma is a delicious melange of chocolate/cocoa, vanilla, and a slight, boozy whiskey note.

Flavors... where to start? Obviously, massive dark malts and chocolate. Bitterness like coffee. A bit of a lactic note and a slight smoke/ash nuance sneak in. Some dark fruit (raisins, mainly, though for some reason I keep thinking of apricot brandy). Molasses provides a sort of bitter brown sugar floor for all the other flavors. Not too sweet and not too bitter; smoother and more balanced than some of the big stouts I've had. Absolutely no inkling that this is 11% ABV from the flavor.

Mouthfeel is thick and slightly creamy with an ever-so-slightly dry and vaguely tingly finish. Alcohol heat present but tolerable.

This is a real contender, but it's drinking so well fresh that I have a hard time imagining how this will improve with age. I'll let you know...

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to babyismycat (my b.i.l.) for this most awesome Christmas gift!

Poured from wax-dipped bottle into a festival tasting glass at breakfast on Christmas morning before flying out to Chile.

A: BLACK as Satan's heart with quickly disappearing, small brown head. Delicate lacing at the edge of the glass.

N: Coffee with a hint of coco and some rum/prune/booze.

T/M: Coffee bitterness and chocolate--an earthly undertone from the oak. Prickly on the tongue; slight anise flavor--like licorice coated in molasses. This beer is extremely drinkable at 11%!

It is the first thing I am tasting in the morning, and it is probably the best tasting thing I will have all day! Overall, the beer is not too sweet (as I expected), but I plan on sitting on one for a while to see how its flavor profile develops.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

2010 bottle - reads best after 11/15/11 - i can not wait that long

pours dark dark brown almost back with 1 finger dark tan head that left no lacing

smells of oak smoke chocolate coffee roasted malts

taste much like the nose - strong milk chocolate roasted/caramel malt lots of oak little booze heat and fair amount of hops - reminds me of GD chocolate oak yet a lot

mouthfeel is medium body with perfect carbonation - oh so smooth and silky

drinkability is out of this world - fresh this beer is great and i can only imagine how an aged bottle would be - i can see myself trading for a bottle or two every year

4.61/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22oz bottle (2008 Reserve - 20th Anniversary bottle - I also tried the most recent years going forward which pretty much shared similiar taste) into tulip glass. Pours a really dark black with a nice consistency and a thin dark tan head. Nice sweet aromatics - licorice, molasses, coffee, roasty, oak, and some dark fruits. Talk about nice complexity! The flavor is roasty, warming, fruity, warming alcohol, coffee, chocolate, lots of wood, molasses, light barrel aging, a sort of vinous quality. The palate is first cocoa which leads to roasted coffee and a sweetness that reminds you of molasses, some licorice, and finishes sweet as well. Slight vanilla and wood flavors mid palate. This quickly became one of my favorite Americal Double / Imperial Stouts out there!

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

2010 Bomber- A: nice rich, chocolate head. The aroma is overwhelming with coffee. Tastes of coffee and cherries. Fair amount of hops as it is still fresh. The alcohol is noticeable but not overwhelming. Medium feel, spreads evenly though the mouth. Enjoyable to drink.

3.8/5  rDev -15.7%

Re=Review for 2010 Bottle of Abyss. Had at a local BA tasting.
Pours a crude oil black with no hint of light pearing threw. Head is formed with little effort and is a shade of chocolate brown. Aroma is their with roasty nose and a slight malt background. The aroma was a bit on the weak side but still enjoyable. Flavor was extremely roasty and pretty much overwhelmingly roasted flavors. The brew was nice the but the roasted flavors were very strong and was just not to my liking. I feel with a year on this brew or more this could be a wonderful RIS.

Traded a 2009 Darklord for this bottle of 2009 Vintage Abyss.

When first opened noticed a lack of pop to the bottle was not sure if this was standard as I have never had this particular brew. Lack of head I felt was standard but even throwing it at the glass left no head to be seen or form. The smell was of a wet roasty smell with sour notes to it. Taste was far from a RIS and was straight sour and could not be consumed. The sour notes strongly took over any other flavors from this brew. Popped this bottle at a tasting and everyone in the room was unable to consume said beer. It was not a great night for the Abyss.

Hopefully will land a 2010 bottle and will re-review.

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

A - poured in a pint, very dark, pitch black, put against the light the blackness had some red to it which was cool! brownish head that's really thick and recedes slowly, leaving a very nice looking lace.
S - awesome! milky to dark chocolate, coffee, sweet, a little hoppy and alcoholic aroma that's perfect for this beer.
T - milk and dark chocolates, a perfect coffee taste, malty, toffee, caramel, sweet and savory, bitter is present but not overpowering. alcohol flavor is not evident which make this brew great.
M - full bodied, very creamy, very smooth, everything is balanced, bittersweet at first, chocolates in the middle, then finishes clean with a little coffee aftertaste.
D - very drinkable, every flavor is well balanced. had this beer for the first time last night and I enjoyed every sip of it. will not give this a perfect score yet. need to wait for 10 more months to taste the aged perfect version, per label's instruction. then maybe I'll be giving this perfect beer a perfect score.

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2010 bottle. Pours a pitch black color, developing a small, brown colored head that recedes fairly quickly, not leaving lace on the glass so much as depositing oil-like slicks of beer that pull down with each sip.

Aroma is nice and intense, a mild roast character initially which falls into some chocolate and coffee notes. Some vanilla and oak from the barrel, not a whole lot of bourbon, which is kinda nice for once.

The flavor is a complex combination of malt and barrel characteristics which combine to make and outstanding Imperial Stout. The malt characteristics really shine, some slightly roasted and chocolate notes and strong dark caramel character, followed quickly by wood notes of vanilla, toasted marshmallow and just a hint of bourbon.

The Abyss is incredibly well balanced and easy drinking even fresh. Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, just coating the palate in delicious flavors. It really is smooth and mellow, and might just be one of the best -bal aged beers I've had. Considering how easy drinking it is now, I can only imagine how delicious it will be when I open my second bottle next December.

Bomber, Says best after 11/15/11. I can't wait that long....

A: I can't see a damn thing, black as night with peanut brown head disapearing quickly. beautiful lacing sticking to glass.

S: Coffee notes in the forefront, some chocolate undernieth, alcohol is present in the nose.enough is enough lets drink!

T: Holy Shit!, I can't believe the taste of this. I don't know what to say. I don't taste any alcohol in this. It is unbelievably balanced. very complex with initial hints of licorice and molasses leading into subtle wave of coffee notes. ending with a perfect bitterness to dry out the palate so more is a necessity.

M: best mouthfeel of any stout hands down. so smooth. wow.

D & Overall: As this warms its getting better, if thats possible. I received this in a trade. If i lived on the west coast I would by cases of this and live a happy happy man. stouts are style and this is tops to me. perfect 5s all the way around. the hype is justified. I only received one bottle so this is the 2010 version. I NEED to get another to age to compare. wow. just the best...

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For a while, I didn't really seek this beer out, as I'm not a fan of licorice/anise. When it was announced this beer was coming to Texas, I decided to give it a try. Well, I'm very glad I did.

Pours like motor oil into my Portsmouth tulip that STEG gave me (TWINSIES!), creating a nice, thick dark tan/light brown head. Looks amazing, just how I'd want a big bold stout to look.

The aroma is pretty fantastic as well. I'm getting good amounts of chocolate, leather, smoke, molasses and maybe a hint of anise. Some nice bourbon introducing itself as well.

Wow, this is very, very good. I'm impressed. Taste follows the nose, and doesn't hold back. I don't need to retype everything from above. Roasty. I really like this beer a lot, and I am not at all basing any of this off of hype. Like I said before, I was "skeptical" of this beer for a while. I hate strong anise, but I'm not getting too much from this. Some on the finish, but it plays a more complimentary role.

Feels great in the mouth. Full bodied and just the right amount of carbonation. Not too heavy.

Considering this is 11% abv, I'd say the drinkability is pretty good. I'm going through the first glass from this bomber pretty quickly. The abv is actually pretty well hidden. And what matters most is that my folks, having each took a sip or two, thought it was pretty damn tasty.

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Thankyou so much to Philhyde for sending me a bottle of this.

Poured into a snifter. Pours opague black with an extremely thick creamy brown heading. Lacing ring's and globs are everywhere. Beautiful ringlets left all throughout the tasting.

Smell is mostly heavy roasted malts upfront. Some lighter sweeter chocolate notes.Subtle boozey barrel aroma's move in for a soft finish. Nothing spectacular I am thinking.

Taste well is in another category. Simple phenomenol I put it. Naturally the heavy roasted malts make their way through the palate. The powderey chocolatey-molasses mix barges it's way in and leaves you with a licorice finish. The bourbon barrel - oak taste is only there to kind of bind this big monster together.

Mouth is super smooth.Velvety and an incredible palate with a nice creamy texture and slight heat from the booze. Very alive on the palate never thick or chewy very easy to go down. Slight stickiness is left on the lips.

Final notes. This beer is scary. How the hell can a beer this high in alcohol be so drinkable.

Astonishing beer.

Here's the deal...this beer is perfect, in every way (like Mary Poppins).

Pour: Deep, dark black; entirely like the deepest voids in space with an espresso brown head that initially foams up to nearly 2-3 fingers. The head lasts until the last drop is gone...the legs swirl through the entirety of the beers life as well.

Nose: Dark chocolate, bitter coffee, dark, roasted Malta, licorice, hints of molasses, slight hops, oak, and well integrated soft shades of bourbon (vanilla, caramel, toasted coconut, and charred oak).

Taste: Exactly like the nose. The taste of this beer is entirely complex, but so very well integrated. Add in slight cherry notes as well as some darker fruits (slight raisin an fig). Perfect taste profile.

Mouthfeel: creamy, velvety smooth. This beer coats the mouth and tongue and never entirely disappears. Chewy but not viscous or overwhelming. Perfect.

Overall: Why don't I buy a case of this every year? I will this next year...this is my perfect beer. Deschutes, I love you.

The Abyss from Deschutes Brewery