The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Abyss Alström Bros
4.26/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this on 2011-03-05 in Lititz at Bull's Head at a BA event (from tasting notes). 2010 Vintage. Had this again on 2013-09-26 from a 2013 Vintage bottle in Columbia, PA.

Revised review from 2014-09-26

A - Opaque dark brown/black with a brown 1-finger head and moderate lace.

S - Dark roasted and smoky/umami malt, coffee, molasses, black licorice.

T - Rich dark roasted/charred grain, malt and alcohol sweetness, espresso, chocolate, black licorice and black currant flavors. Finish is char and chocolate with significant roasted bitterness, chocolate, black licorice and some sweetness for balance.

M - Heavy body and light carbonation yields a creamy milkshake feel.

O - Complex flavors and a great feel. A top notch Imperial Stout for sure.

Original review from 2011-03-05

A - Black body with a dark brown head.

S - Dark roasted and smoky grain, coffee, molasses, black licorice.

T - Boozy, astringent dark roasted grain, expresso and chocolate, black licorice, molasses and mild black currant. A very bold flavor indeed.

M - Heavy body and light carbonation yield a creamy milkshake feel.

O - I quite enjoyed this beer even though I'm not a big fan of black licorice.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 Vintage shared with my girlfriend. Last beer before school starts tommorow...

A- Pours black as night and has a 1 and a half finger mocha chocolate brown head. retention is fantastic and the body completely opaque. The head is not very thick and frothy leaving very heavy lacing. Stouts do not look any better than this.

S- very big malt notes followed by chocolate and piney hops. Roasty notes are there as well as a small black licorice, but very small. Very nice scent.

T- Nice complex dark flavors in this one. Big sweet malt, chocolate and medium darker roast coffee are prominent upfront. Fig Newton like dark fruit comes out toward the middle which takes you to a medium bitter and semi sweet finish. Tiny hint of alcohol on the finish as well. Lots going on in this one.

M- Definately heavy with a smaller amount of carbo. Thick and creamy at every sip. And thats exactly how to drink this one, slowly

O- Fantastic beer to end my "summer" with. I have tried and tried for a while for this beer and it lived up to my expectations. Cant wait to get my hands on more and older vintages.

4.95/5  rDev +10%

This is the beer that got me into micro brew style beers. The fact that it is aged in an Oak Barrel really adds that little extra kick of flavor. Hands down my favorite beer. It has great aroma, taste, and appearance. Even the bottle is a work of art. If you have not tried this beer you are missing out on one of the greats. Im blessed to live in the same city that brews this masterpiece.

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%

2008 Vintage opened ~May 30, 2011

nice cherry and sherry aromas with molasses there. Very little coffee and licorice, but the bourbon is still around. Tastes okay still, but has a really rough finish. Lots of acrid roastiness along with some definite cardboard oxidation.

This beer is definitely oxidized which makes the nose great, but the finish is tough to bear. Still great but I'm glad I didn't wait any longer on this bottle. I have had it fresh to 6 months numerous times and think that that's the way to go with this beer.

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Vintage 2010. Drank before the best after date(could not help myself had to try this beer!)

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Great looking stout! Pitch black dark motor oil colored body of this beer. 1 finger of dark mocha brown head. Not really expecting any head on this beer as thick as it looks while it was poured.

Smell: Roasty expresso, smokey like acampfire and charred oak.

Taste: Big roasty expresso and rich dark chocolate notes. It tastes just like it looks intensely dark. Smokey and roasty for sure, i think some leathery and earthy notes are tasted also. It got a mild hint of booze that starts midtaste and goes thru to the finish. As this ber warms the black licorice and molasses seem to immerge from the deep roasty malts and give a sweeter taste to the beer. Might be some raisins in there also.

Mouthfeel: This beer is full bodied with a carbonation thats stands on the high end of low carbonation; almost moderately carbonated. This beer is so thick that it is almost syrup. Almost perfectly carbonated.

Overall: Really awesome beer. This beer shows that Deschutes puts alot of "TLC" into the reserve series beers. The beer is well made and well named! I can see why it so high up on the lists on BA.

4.23/5  rDev -6%

This will be my first Abyss (2010). What a better way to pass the time while I sit in the garage and brew some cream ale. This puppy pours black as night into my New Belgium snifter with a 2 finger dark mocha head that looks like it might stick around for a while. It smells of chocolate and coffee.

The first sip is solid but a bit bolder than I was expecting. The initial taste is of dark chocolate and coffee, licorice and possibly wood with some alcohol presence. As I continue to drink and things warm up, the coffee, licorice and oak are really coming out. Things are starting to sweeten up but not overly so. I'm not tasting any bourbon.

In the home stretch as the beer really warms, the licorice, oak and alcohol are dominating and some hop bitterness is coming through.

This is a very solid RIS that reminds me quite a bit of Stone's IRS. Very good overall but I'd like to store one of these guys away in the cellar for 2 to 3 years and see what some age does to mellow
things out a tad.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

On tap at Mackenzies and poured into a Deschutes snifter on 5/19/11. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a beautiful viscous black with a mocha colored head that very fluffy and dissipates moderate lacing on the glass.

Smell is a thick hit of roasted malt and chocolate then some toffee and raison/dark fruit at the end. Very nice.

Taste is tons of roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee. Very nice!! Fruit and tobacco as well. This is one of the best tasting stout I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is medium in weight. Carbonation is very well done with the weight. Nice tingle with it.

Overall this is one of my favorite stouts and in my top 5 beers. I would like a stronger head but awesome no less.

4.58/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured at the Westland, MI tasting on Friday night. 2010 vintage slightly chilled.

A: The name says it all. This one is deep and dark just like an abyss. Minimal head and lacing.

S: Lots of chocolate and licorice come through on this one with some alcoholic heat as well.

T: This one perfectly brings together the taste of anise and chocolate with some sweet heat a swell.

M: Nice and thick, just as I would want it to be.

O: This is one I have been waiting to try for a while and it did not let me down. I see whay this one is ranked as world class stout!

4.89/5  rDev +8.7%

The 2010 Abyss

A: It pours a dark black opaque with no real head expect for a small tan film that disappears quickly. There's not really a foam lacing, but the beers is thick and hangs to the sides of the glass.

S: There's quite a bit going on in this one. Molasses, brown sugar, dark roasted malts, bitter chocolate, pure vanilla extract, candied figs and prunes. There's also a savory touch in there. It's very mouthwatering. Balanced and tantalizing.

T: What a big complex beer! Roasted coffee, with some bitter hops running down the middle, bitter dark chocolate, vanilla, oak with some notes of bourbon in there; rich molasses with a savory, almost salty quality to it. The boozy notes open up more in there as it warms.

M: It has a full creamy milky body, that leaves a nice juicy, yet slightly chalky feel in my mouth. Low carbonation.

O: Oh my gosh! I can drink this one forever! It's such a great one to sip and savor. I feel like I'm spoiling myself drinking this one; it's so rich and decadent. What a treat! I can't wait for the 2011!

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2010 bottle served at cellar temperature. (Note; had 2011 and review was very similar, except 2011 had less bourbon heat and more flavors from the wine barrels)

A-Motor oil black, one finger creamy brown head, some lacing (same)

S-Chocolate, molasses, roasted malt and some oak

T-Very chocolaty, and lots of molasses, some roasted malts and a little bit of bourbon. Ends with a crisp bitterness.

M-Heavy, smooth and no carbonation

O-A wonderful well balanced beer. Glad I was able to get a few via trade. Will be having a stout tasting in the winter and I can't wait to see how this one stacks up as so far it seemed wonderful.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for half of this beer

Note: 2009 vintage

Review adapted from notes taken 11/5/10

Appearance: Blacker than black, pours like oil but manages to form a remarkable brown head - the brown fluff sticks around, and it leaves behind a beautiful lace

Smell: Nearly as epic as they come - super burnt, charcoal... charred charcoal, if that even makes sense - leather, coffee beans, some sweetness, some hops

Taste: Harsh but delicious, deliciously complex - as the smell would suggest, tastes extremely burnt - burnt malts, roasted malts, char, chocolate, espresso, molasses, caramel - some spiciness beneath an extreme amount of bitterness - some wood and some bourbon, but they are insanely well-balanced with the rest of the flavors - very malty yet somehow not too sweet, which, in my opinion, should be the goal of every imperial stout

Mouthfeel: Very thick but not sludgy - extremely smooth, but comes off as slightly harsh because of all the burnt flavors - amazing nonetheless

Overall: Simply amazing fresh, and so much potential...

It's scary how good this beer is. If all of the harsh characteristics drop out after a year or two of aging, this will probably earn a permanent spot in my top 10 favorite beers of all time. It's so ridiculously good.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent beer, no doubt. I don't know if I agree with its place on the top beers list, but just due to personal preference. I prefer a bit more bourbon barrel in my barreled stouts, but this is solid in all respects.

Pours jet black, living up to its name.

The barrel aging doesn't come through strongly for me, probably because only a portion is barreled, in either aroma or taste. Licorice, roast, molasses, a wonderful melding of imperial stout flavor. While I haven't had one in a few months, I don't recall it having much booze/alcohol in the nose or flavor.

Mouthfeel is solid, not quite syrupy, but thick and rich like it should be.

Overall, yes, one of the top imperial stouts, but perhaps not quite one of the top beers on planet earth. Close though...

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a deep chocalety looking blackish brown. Rich khaki head. Completely opaque.

S - Chocolate, coffee, carmel, molasses, and a little smoke

T - Taste upfront is bitter roasted malts, a little bourbon and wood, and some molasses sweetness. Light licorice in the middle. Sweeter finish of molasses, raisin fruitiness and a hint of bourbon. Lingering roasted coffee bitterness.

M - Very thick and heavy. there's a good medium carbonation with a very crisp finish

O - This is the most complex stout that I have ever had. I would like to try one with some age on it.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

got a bottle of this at zorbaz with friends. It pours black with a light brown head that is there after every sip. The smell is of bourbon and licorice and some sugar. The taate is mouth coating and warm. You can’t just drink this beer you need to sip it and enjoy it. This is a great beer.

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Deschutes makes some great beers and this is their crowning achievement.

A: Darkest I have ever seen, absolutely no light can penetrate this beer. A hard pour into a snifter produced a beautiful two finger smoky brown and ashy head. Great lacing surrounded my glass and remained until I was finished drinking.

S: The initial smell has a coffee like aroma, but upon further examination this beers complex nature becomes more apparent. I could detect earthy tones followed by nuts molasses and hints of licorice.

T: If you are looking for the most robust, well-balanced and least forgettable Stout, than this is your beer.

M: THICK, like whole chocolate milk, coats the mouth and your entire throat during digestion. Carbonation was actually more prominent than anticipated.

O: FANTASTIC! I do suggest you share this with a friend because at least I would have a difficult time finishing this one.

Can't identify any weaknesses. Consumed in a goblet.

A - inky squid black with caramel-brown head which dissipates bubble by bubble. Fun to watch.

S - wood-like, syrupy, maple tree essence

T - multi-faceted; it took me a while to make the connection with my taste buds, but it is like Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee and Kahlua with milk chocolate essence, licorice added. Alcohol very smooth and creeps up on you. Very rich; something holiday-like about it.

M - it's like the feeling you get when you rest a chunk of good dark chocolate on your tongue and let it melt. Very velvety and good.

O - I am so glad I got impatient and drank this by myself. Character flaws I know. If I was sentenced to death I'd have a hot dog with mustard and a bottle of this. Last sip...

4.92/5  rDev +9.3%

Intro: Split a 22oz. 2010 vintage with a friend in snifter glasses.

Appearance: Deep dark rich virtual black with a thin (maybe ½ inch) chocolate brown head that dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: A great, rich, complex aroma that entices you to taste. Initially, I got the rich coffee, subdued molasses and licorice. Followed by a roasted coffee or nutty fragrance. The alcohol is hidden nicely behind the many layers of fragrances. Your mouth starts to water in anticipation of the first taste.

Taste: Not to be disappointed, this is one great tasting beer from first sip to last drop. In the foreground is coffee, followed by a whole host of flavors more subdued. Vanilla, toffee, licorice, molasses, and several underlying components that leave you guessing. One of the more complex tasting beers that I’ve had. One impression that I got from the initial sip was that of the dessert tiramisu.

Mouthfeel: Extremely well balanced. Slight warming from the alcohol but not off-putting in the least. Not a noticeable aftertaste or oiliness. Very pleasant.

Overall: One of the most enjoyable beers I’ve had. A great dessert beverage. I’m not a coffee lover but I loved this beer. Not a chugger but a sipper. Possibly in my top 15-20 beers to date. Will definitely have again and try to keep a little around for that special occasion. If you can find it, you should definitely try it.

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

A bottle of the 2009 vintage, the fourth in my friend's miracle case that *knock on wood* has produced 4 or 4 non-infected bottles. Poured into a snifter.

A: From the bottle comes a dark brown, but appears black in the glass. A 1/2 inch of dark tan head tops things off before dissipating.

S: Roasted malt with hints of vanilla, oak, and a touch of smoke. Licorice comes out strong as the beer warms.

T: Roasted malt again, but this time the licorice comes through a touch more. The vanilla and oak make an appearance 2/3 of the way through. The smoke isn't as present, but if I look for it I can find it. The big additions are a heaping helping of chocolate and a bit of coffee to round out the flavor.

M: A smooth texture to complement the thickness of the beer. A bit of heat creeps in at the end.

O: A pleasure to drink. I couldn't take the suspense any longer and had to see if it was infected or not. So glad it wasn't. Looking forward to my non-2009's that much more.

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

Acquired from dunt via Support Your Local Team BIF so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!
This was a long time want, and I held on for a year..
2009 bottle poured in to my Portsmouth snifter
Best after 11.1.10

A: This beer pours a deep, dark, opaque black with a two finger of thick, rich creamy brown head. Head recedes at a moderate pace and leaves sheets of lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is deep oak notes, vanilla, bitter dark chocolate, and a touch sour. Infection worried me for a bit which delayed the opening, but after enjoying Cisco's Dark Woods this year, I figured even if infected, I would still enjoy this.

T: Taste starts with tons of oak notes, with some vanilla seeping through. Bitter chocolate, perhaps a hint of soured cherries, licorice and more vanilla are present - all the while, the undercurrent of oak notes still come through. Finish is a big citrus hop bite, charred malts, charred molasses and an alcohol warming. As the beer warms, the soured cherry notes become less pronounced and the coffee flavoring begins to border on espresso.

M: Fuller bodied, moderate carbonation, thick and slightly creamy, with a chewy finish.

O: Goes down easily, very tasty, filling, big kick, nice representation of style. I think there may have been a touch of infection in this bottle...but I have to say that I enjoy what I've dubbed the wild stout. It's two of my favorite styles lopped in to one.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Had this on tap during Philly Beer week 2010, served into a tulip.

The mere sight of the pitch black pour with a fingers worth of tan head set my heart racing. Little did I know I was about to try one of the most sought after brews in the craft beer community.

Smells of chocolate, liquorice, molasses and a hint of coffee that became more pronounced as the beer warmed up.

I find it hard to put this beer down once I start drinking it as the taste and mouthfeel simply blow me away. Viscous but not difficult swallow, simply stellar.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

I have had multiple vintages, this beer never disappoints, I would really like to try some of the 100% barrel aged version.

Pours black as night with a billowing mocha colored head, develops a decent rim and hangs out for a little while before dissipating to a light ring.

Smells like dark fruit, dark chocolate, and subtle notes of vanilla from the oak. Some great complexity but not quite enough barrel for my tastes.

Tastes much like it smells, greaty oily mouthfeel, coats every part of the tongue and has a wonderful finish. Lots of dark fruit and chocolate, little bit of caramel, little bit of coffee. A nice treat, and one that everyone should try at some point.

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber into a Duvel tulip. 2010 vintage - Best After 11/15/11. Split with lookitsmp

A- Pours a midnight black with a 1 finger mocha colored head that sticks around. Leaves excellent lacing. Alcohol legs present.

S- I get bourbon and barrel notes first off. Chocolate, coffee, and roasted malts follow suit with woody and vanilla notes persistent throughout. Smells a lot like KBS to me.

T- Sweet and dark chocolate malts initiate the taste immediately followed up with waves of barrel notes that are helped along by soft bourbon pushes. A giant coffee note makes itself known towards the finish and lingers pleasantly through the ending. Some huge flavors that are nicely balanced and differentiated.

M- Definitely thick and viscous, but not as much as a Plead the 5th or Dark Lord. I expected a bit more for the name Abyss. The carbonation is a bit more than I'm used to in a stout.

O- The Abyss definitely lives up to its' reputation as a world-class stout. I have this in the same league as KBS in my book.

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Darkness snifter. Shared with a fellow BA.
2010 vintage.

A- Two finger frothy brown head, dissipates to a nice bubbly ring around the glass, dark pitch black color, nice lacing and retention.
S- The aroma is pretty boozy but not off putting, coffee aromas come out up front followed but roasted notes, the aroma is fairly bitter with some hints of chocolate/cocoa.
T- The taste is similar to the nose, nice coffee flavors, roasted malt, slight vanilla taste, definitely taste the oak from the barrels, bitter aftertaste, molasses comes out as well.
M- Big mouth feel, thick and chewy, well carbonated, smooth in the finish, sticky on the palate.
O- This is definitely a solid quality RIS, it deserves the praise it gets on a consistent basis, would I say it’s one of the best in the World….No but I would drink this on more than one occasion. Looking forward to ageing a couple bottles and trying them in the future.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This bottle looks pretty formidable, and there's no easy way to get the black wax seal off the cap, so i've spent a few minutes chipping away with a steak knife.

The beer is thick and black with a nice finger and a half of creamy tan head that settles slowly. Lacing is predictably syrupy and copious.

Aroma is a welcome roasted coffee, cocoa, a definite molasses-sweetness, and a faint booziness in back.

Strong, burnt-toast flavors alongside dark-roasted coffee, dark fruit (blackberry?), molasses, vanilla, and some bourbon. Very tasty. No real sign of that licorice.

Mouthfeel is that nice viscous syrup-like texture I've come to expect from a well-crafted imperial stout.

An excellent offering- though this should definitely be shared (the bottle).

4.92/5  rDev +9.3%

2010 reserve.

A: deep maroon color, wisp of head, thick lines of syrupy lace.
S: black olives, roasted red pepper, caramel, coffee bean, molasses and iron.
T: Cracker Jacks, red wine (a heavy Cab), tobacco, bitter chocolate, molasses.
M: silky smooth, viscous.
O: pretty much perfect, there were some really interesting aromas.

The Abyss from Deschutes Brewery