The Abyss - Deschutes Brewery

Wants: 2,586
Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Aged in bourbon, Oregon oak, and Pinot Noir barrels.

Vintages (production numbers from Deschutes):
2006 - Released December 2006 (approx 90 BBL)
2007 - Released January 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2008 - Released November 2008 (approx 350 BBL)
2009 - Released November 2009 (approx 600 BBL)
2010 - Released December 2010 (approx 600 BBL)
2011 - Released November 2011 (approx 600 BBL)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-24-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Abyss Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Looked good, real good, It filled the glass, black, drawing awes from the non beer drinkers, "how can you drink that?" Easily!

S: Like great stouts should, Malts fill my nostrils, hidden flavors linger but on this night I couldn't draw them out as quantifiable. There were many things mingling.

T: World Class, on my palate the licorice flavor and the oak flavors came out, this was a well crafted beer with many things layered on the malty canvas.

M: Smooth, Creamy, Thick, without feeling heavy

D: I could have had more but after my first glass I was done with this.

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

2009 Bottle Reviewed

C. To Dark to Tell
H. Black
N. Roasty Malt, Licorice, and a faint Sour Smell (Jolly Pumpkin Like)

Unlike so many of the beers in this tasting from this past week, this beer had the best balance of carbonation and flavor. the malt really sticks out well in the beer. Although this would really be better after a year or so of cellaring. The beer was not super strong on the alcohol end. It is drinkable now, but I think it would be perfectly balanced in about two years. Hops came out a bit in the attack of the beer but were quickly covered up by the thick malty base of this beer. I won't write this one off to 100% beer-hype but there is a lot of talk about a good stout here, and that's just it. I think it needs to age to be a Great Stout.

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

A truly awesome beer! Served in a 22oz snifter. 2009 Reserve.

A- Pitch black with a dark brown head that leaves quickly, leaving a thin layer on top of the used engine oil.

S- Roast, malt, bourbon, and molasses. Alcohol never poked its head through.

T- Roast, malt, bourbon, molasses, dark chocolate, faint licorice, and an appreciated hop bitterness. Alcohol was very faint, even when it was at its warmest.

M- Thin to medium. Quite thin compared to others, but that may be because Ive been on a Barleywine binge.

D- This a surprisingly very drinkable beer, but definitely a sipper.

With the beer being this great at 6 months, I cannot wait to give it a go at a year or older!

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

2009 Vintage...

Pours a dark brown with a beautiful fluffy thick tan head. Aroma is a bit sour actually with a flavor to match. After the initial sour-ish flavor passes there is a nice malty/roasty taste that begins to take over. As it warms up the flavor change and it becomes much more enjoyable and drinkable. Definitely something I want to revisit with a bit more age on it...

Tasty!

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Received this bomber in a trade with Jared. Thanks again!

Cut through the thick wax seal. Black wax seal and bottle artwork compliment each other well. Poured into two Ommegang ale glasses to share with my wife.

A: Dark, dark chocolate color with awesome creamy head. The head builds and appears more like a delicious cake batter. Reminds me of my Mom's date bread after she poured it into the bread pan. The large bubbles slowly pop and expand. The chocolate foam slowly recedes back into the liquid as a reddish ring around the glass. Impressive.

S: The oak and bourbon come through as well as dried fruit and dark chocolate.

T: Dark chocolate, dried fruit, very earthy, not as roasted as I would expect. Awesome smooth with dry aftertaste. Truly delicious.

M: Full bodied but lighter than other stouts that I have experienced lately. More like a fine wine.

D: This is an unbelievable beer. Extremely easy to drink down, but also nice to swirl in the glass and take in the aroma and savor. After dinner treat.

Summary: I seriously need to try this one again after it has some age on it. Although I can't imagine that it gets much better than this. Matches the hype it receives. Awesome!

4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Pours jet black, with a lighter brown foam head.

S: bourbon, some oak and chocolate in the background

T: Roasted malt bitterness, chocolate and a hint of bourbon and black liquorice. Finish somewhat dry. Alcohol is somewhat there.

M: Creamy and thick, good carbonation.

D: Great beer, I think it was a little hyped for me prior to drinking it. I wouldn't say I was let down, I just wasn't as impressed when I compared it to other very well made stouts. Glad I got a chance to try this, would drink again if I saw it.

Abyss 2010! Thank you Total Wine!

This stout is absolutely amazing. It's very mellow and smooth on the taste buds. The 2010 is probably the best Abyss I have had (better than the 2009 infected obviously).

Smell of coffee and chocolate invade your smell receptors instantly!

It has little lacing and is very very dark. Black as motor oil! But taste like God's elixir on a winter evening. I am drinking it right now as I review. I love it

This is one of the few beers that absolutely meets up to all the hype it gets!

If I could buy the rights to this beer and install it as a tap in my house I would!

The only con is the price ($12.99). But price means nothing when it's justified.

Great job Deschutes. You make an amazing beer.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Wow been holding on to this for awhile aquired by trade can't remember with but thank you. This is the 2008 edition as well.

A - fantastic a very large mocha 2 finger head no light is shining through this is a nice looking brew.

S - Rich expresso coffee, unreal this is a 5 !!

T - A bit rich chocolate, strong coffee, so rich so nice.

F - smooth creamy, so glad I finally cracked one. burns a bit but is to be expected. Excellent !!

D - Didn't give it a 5 as while this is so nice whould not be able to drink every day but is so nice to have every so often.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. 2009 Vintage...

Pours thick and black with a nice, thick light brown head that lasts for a while and leaves some lacing...

Bit of a sour aroma, ripe dark fruits, raisins & plums...some oak, bitter dark chocolate, molasses...

Taste follows the nose, slightly sour, almost a Belgian Strong Dark Ale quality, bitter dark chocolate, burnt malts, oaky and dry, licorice and a bit of vanilla, nice and complex...

Smooth, thick and creamy, no alcohol heat, very nice...

Awesome beer, I can see why it gets such high reviews...even though this beer is supposedly best after 11/2010, it was very good now and something I look forward to trying again...

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Best after 11-1-2010. . I just could not wait on trying this finally. 2009 Vintage.

(A)- Pours fairly thick & an absolutely pitch black color; I can see why this is called the Abyss. . no light gets through it! Produced a lovely frothy brown head despite the high abv level. Its just sticking to every inch on the sides of the glass. Great retention; there was still foam 1/2 way through drinking the bottle.

(S)- Rich & dense bread-like components with bits of raisin, molasses, cocoa, licorice, coffee grounds, and even a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg in there. Complex yet smooth smelling; no heat or bourbon potency detected. A glorious aroma.

(T)- Potent & yet rich dense flavors. More of that almost dry bread-like character. Great molasses & licorice combo in the middle ground. Am adequate bitterness like that of coffee grounds with cocoa & a nutmeg thing. Finishes with a tiny hint of vanilla with slightly bitter dark chocolate. Incredibly dynamic and complex.

(M)- A great carbonation level & balance. A perfect mix of rich roasted malts, light bitter licorice & coffee, and a delicately light chocolate-like sweetness. It just rolls off the tongue with smoothness despite it richness & potency. Where is the whopping 11%abv? Expertly integrated alcohol level; it tastes no more than an 7-8% to me. The biggest surprise of this beer is actually how smooth it is.

(D)- This was an absolute joy to consume. A brilliant stout deserving of its rating, ranking, and style. It just rolls off the tongue. Easily one of the easiest drinking stouts of this strength and profile I may have ever had. I can only imagine what further aging will do to this. Simply awesome stuff; cant wait to try another one after the best after date!

**Update**
Upon having this numerous additional times since my initial review, I felt this beer needed an overall rating change. I really believe that this beer is at its best fresher and does not really benefit from further aging. But as with any beer, that is my 2 cents.

4.33/5  rDev -4%

This is for a three year vertical review from 2007, 2008 and 2009:

1-Deschutes' Abyss 2007, 11% abv, Imperial Stout. This poured a dark dark chocolate black with a touch of espresso cream. This had a HUGE burnt malt, smokey salted bacon, light raisin, and dates in it. It tasted of espresso with a HUGE smoky character to it and a slightly dry, light ending. My favorite of the evening.

2-Deschutes' Abyss 2008, 11% abv, Imperial Stout. This one was WAY sweeter than the 2007 version. It smelled of sweet caramel, stewed dark fruits, malt and toffee. It tasted sweet, with sweet fig newtons, caramel, a light faint smokiness, light hoppiness into a dry espresso ending.

3-Deschutes' Abyss 2009-11% abv, Imperial Stout. Unfortunately this one seemed a little off. It smelled SOUR!!! It had some light raisin, sweet malt and juicy grapefruit in the nose. It tasted again, SOUR, with a light spice to it, tangy grapefruit skin, candied malt and a light bitter finish. SO it seems like this puppy had a bit of a bottle infection due to the sour that we all got out of it.

4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

Acquired this in a trade with stubone awhile back. 2008 vintage. Decided to finally crack it to celebrate the end of law school. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours jet black, with a finger and a half of brown head. The head lingers for a surprisingly long time, considering the ABV. Lots of lacing. Beautiful, beautiful looking beer.

Smell: A mix of alcohol, bourbon, and oak, with some dark chocolate in the background. There's a slight astringency on the initial pour, but it fades fairly quickly. As the beer warms, the chocolate flavors get even stronger.

Taste: A surprisingly strong hop and roasted malt bitterness, backed by heavy chocolate flavors. A slight astringent tang, and a hint of bourbon. The oak is surprisingly strong, almost to the point of overpowering, especially on the back end. It makes the finish somewhat dry, and there's a definite contrast in flavor from beginning to end of the sip. Alcohol isn't really evident.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly thick and creamy, and perfectly carbonated. It's thick enough to stand up to all of the heavy flavors in this beer.

Drinkability: A very good beer. Maybe it was all the hype surrounding it, but I was a little bit let down by this one. The oak flavors are almost overpowering. However, the overall blend of flavors are smooth enough to make me want to drink this faster than I should. I'm glad I got a chance to try this.

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured into a snifter on 4/12/10; shared with two friends

2009 vintage

Many thanks to jamdugan for this bottle & PDXHops for the chance to try it sometime down the road.

On the pour, the beer is a very dark, burnt-cherry/brown color. Obviously, it looks black once settled, but there are dark brown highlights around the edges when the glass is tilted. ¼ inch of fairly dark brown head is manifest upon the pour. It doesn't hold up too well; though swirling revives a decent layer. Lacing is pretty sparse.

There are definite licorice notes with plenty roasted dark malt aromas: molasses, dark fruits - prunes & raisins - & hints of caramel. There are undoubtedly overtones of wood & oak, though bourbon isn't all that appreciable. There are some notions of vanilla in there, too. The nose is rather dense & quite solid overall.

The taste is similar to the nose, only much more potent. The malts here come across as burnt more than anything. A very faint bitterness upfront gives way to intense swaths of licorice & burnt molasses. This beer lacks no subtlety. The bourbon portion is more apparent to taste, though it is a supportive role & not in the forefront. There are also distinct notes of oak with hints of vanilla. Dryness overtakes any sweetness that is present; I really like the burnt qualities, which are well-suited to the intensity of the beer.

Full bodied & very dense; it's pushing the chewy territory for sure. While there is a touch of alcohol heat & slickness, it still has a good deal of grittiness. Lots of burnt & roasted malt notes linger on the finish - licorice, molasses, dark fruits, wood & a slight bitterness.

Hell yeah The Abyss. It's one to savor slowly. This is such a good beer; I can't wait to see how it ages (admittedly, it does seem rather fresh). I will update accordingly. Easily recommended.

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Got this in a DLD trade. Couldn't wait. Didn't. Poured 4-25 into a snifter.

A - Profoundly black, with a respectable chocolate milk-colored head that actually sticks around for awhile. Very unusual for this style. Looks incredible in a snifter.

S - Pretty standard for an impy stout; roasted malts, coffee, some chocolate. Now licorice. Hrm. Not a licorice fan, but let's see where this goes...

T - Okay, the licorice and molasses are right up front here, but it's working. This doesn't taste like other double imperials, and I'm liking the uniqueness. Dark fruits emerge as this warms, also the mocha and woodsmoke arrive later, but fashionably so. I'm liking this more with each sip.

M - After hitting Dark Lord and Bourbon Cty. Coffee yesterday, this is awfully thin by comparison. Not a dealbreaker, because it remains smooth throughout, but if drinking DL and BCCS is like pulling on fine cigars or a well-packed pipe, this is more like a smooth drag on a hand-rolled cigarette. Nothing wrong with that...

D - Like I said, a real grower. Very easy to sip as it warms.

The nose was a bit lacking, and the mouthfeel as well, but overall this is a lovely stout worthy of its reputation.

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2009 poured into Chimay Glassware.

A- Pours a thick black color with a nice milk chocolate colored head 2 fingers thick that hung around for a while, chocolate lacing was left all over my glass.

S- First off you get hit with nice molasses, roasted malt, and licorice. You then get more vanilla bourbon oak, dark chocolate, fig, dark soft fruit.

T- Molasses, yes right away followed by the malt, dark and some milk chocolate, licorice, vanilla oak. On the back it finishes with the dark soft fruits and a decent amount of alcohol warmth, not hot just warm.

M- Nice and big, full body with ample carbonation, borderline too much carbonation need to give it more time. Not overpowering with the alcohol content, just a warming on the finish.

D- Great beer with loads of flavor, love that they added the molasses, licorice and oak aging. Will have to try again in a couple of years...

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried the 2009 vintage on 14 Jul 2010. Served in the 0.4 L Kur Pils snifter.

Thisk and oily. Large dark foamy head. Aroma is full of sweet dark dried fruit, roasty, chocolate, ethanol, with some bourbon vanilla notes. Sweet and roasty, lots of dark cocoa and ethanol. Finish is more tannic, some licorice. Bourbon and vanilla throughout. Aftertaste is very burnt/roasty, lingering.

Fortunately seems to have missed the infection bullet...

Numerical score is for review below.

22 oz. bottle, 2008 vintage, tried 10 Apr 2010. Got this from my brother for Christmas 2008, guess he really does like me...

Served in a 512 One snifter. What to say that hasn't already been said? Pours pitch black. Large thick dark brown head. Lots of cocoa, coffee, mocha and licorice in the aroma. Big, in your face flavors of coffee, cocoa, molasses, alcohol. Begins very roasty bitter while the finish is more sweet and warming. Aftertaste of bitter espresso and licorice is long and lingering. Viscous mouthfeel.

I think this is the best beer I have had so far this year.

Quite possibly the most dangerous beer I've ever had. The smoothness of this beer makes me want to drink it all day long. The 11% would probably kill me after awhile but I'm kinda thinking it would be worth it. I put this on tap last year and can't wait til November to do it all over again. I will probably do unspeakable things to, for and probably with my Deschutes rep in order to get more than one keg but the jail time is most definitely something I can accept. Every nerve in your body tingles when you drink this beer. This beer reminds me of being a kid again. It reminds me of drinking chocolate milk while watching my favorite cartoon with my best friend bugs bunny and sitting in the middle of all my star wars and gi joe toys and basking in the glory of them bowing to me like I'm Gulliver or something. This beer reminds me of my best day ever. Anyways, this beer really is like a mocha chocolate milk. The coffee and malts are strong yet not overpowering. You want to drink this beer so fast but yet you find yourself weeping when you near the bottom. I would suggest this beer to novices and beer gods alike. Congratulations Beer!!!

I had the 2009 vintage on tap at Stone Brewing Co. This is, by far, the best stout I have tried yet.

A - Black...period. Colors of dark maroon and cola are present when this beer is swirled in front of a light. I had a decent light brown head with excellent lacing that was retained till the last drop.

S - Scents of coffee, chocolate, molasses, and roasted malts are dominant with mild hints of oak in the background. I could not pick up any hop notes.

T - Delicious!!! Bold and sweet flavors of malts, coffee, and molasses initially followed by a dry hoppy finish. The oak and the bourbon flavors where obvious, but the licorice could not be detected.

M/D - This beer had a creamy and silky mouthfeel. Not as bold as I expected it to be considering its rich appearance. And considering that it is an 11% ABV, this was a very easy drinking beer.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap at Callahan's, San Diego.

Pours a nice solid black color with a minimal thin film on top. Great aroma of roasted malts with some warm, sweet hints of alcohol (not too strong, though!). Has a sweet roasted malt flavor. There's a bit of coffee and some berries (blackberries?) bitterness towards the finish. The beer has a very light tingly carbonation, is medium-bodied and smooth. Strong in alcohol, but it doesn't come into the taste or really affect the drinkability. A very enjoyable beer great for finishing a night at the brewpub.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

09 bottle, split into pint glass's one for me, one for the miss's

appearance: Black, like coal black. a mocha white head, beautiful. This is how stouts should look

Smell: molasses, bourban, whiskey, coffee, licorice, very good smell.

taste: bourban, booze, little hops, coffee, it really lives up the hype

mouthfeel, bubbly, goes down good despite the 11 abv

drink: well in one way, I could drink this all the time, but in another, ide be pretty buzzed. Its great with dinner

overall, this really is the best damn stout you could possibly ever have.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage, thanks jdefont!

Pours black with about a pinky fingers worth of tan head. Smells like roasted malts, chocolate, cocoa and coffee. I taste cocoa, alcohol, and a nice coffee finish. This beer has a perfect amount of carbonation for this style, and it's nice and thick. It's definitely a sipper, luckily there were three of us that split the bomber. Great beer!

3.9/5  rDev -13.5%

2009 vintage from Doodler. Thanks buddy!

A: Truly Abyss like - darkness envelopes my glass! Two fingers of tan head sit atop the blackness and eventually fade away to about one finger.

S: Dark coffee and roasted malt dominate the aroma, with hints of chocolate, molasses, oak, and vanilla in the background. Overall, the aroma is really heavy on the roasted character and not much else.

T: As with the nose, flavors of dark roasted malts and burnt coffee dominate the flavor. A good amount of bitter dark chocolate, thick molasses, and oak also comes through.

M: Thick and full bodied. I found the finish to be kind of harsh with a large dose of burnt coffee character and stinging alcohol.

D: It's not bad by any means, but not nearly as good as I was expecting. Both the aroma and flavor was a little one dimensional for me - both being dominated too much by dark malt and coffee bitterness. I'd love to get my hands on another bottle and see what a year or two does to this.

3.95/5  rDev -12.4%

2009 Vintage - On tap at Father's Office (note: this review written froma few months ago).

Into a tulip, pours a thick and creamy chocolate head atop an impenetrable body. The head dies rapidly yet reemerges quickly upon agitation.

Aromas range from oak-y vanilla to cocoa. A deeper breathe yields some alcohol/booziness, which is not surprising considering the strength of the beer and the lack of aging.

Coffee bitterness and molasses coats the palate and punishes it with delight; however, so does the aforementioned booziness, which primarily surfaces on the finish.

The overall mouthfeel is thinner than I would have liked, but full and viscous as I swish.

Overall, Abyss 2009 is good, but not close to the sublime experience of the 2008 vintage, which I had on tap with some age at Pizza Port San Clemente. Hopefully the former will approach the wonderfulness of the latter as it matures.

4.15/5  rDev -8%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine March 2007

Barrel aging is still the rage right now, though most brewers stick with very limited releases. This is what Deschutes Brewery has done with The Abyss, an Imperial Stout aged in French oak and bourbon barrels.

No light will ever penetrate this beer--it redefines pitch black. An absolutely stunning brown head rises slowly and clings to the glass for a long time. Dark bak- er's chocolate, faint anise, prevalent oak with vague vanilla, and a faint yet sharp char aroma. Viscous, smooth, syrupy body. Heavy hand of roasted and burnt malt, but not overwhelming. Anise and vanilla are modest but noteworthy. Tart black-currant fruitiness meets a small but wild fruity ester. Creamy malt undertone, middle to end, with a warming alcohol in tow. Sugges- tions of burnt toffee and sweetened espresso come to mind. Small push towards a long, lingering, semi-acrid finish.

No pun intended, but the sheer depth of The Abyss is more than remarkable. This beer is a good example of American brewers coming into their own and bringing it to the table. Oh, and one bottle is not enough. Buy a case; drink one now and cellar the rest. Stack this one up against rosemary-grilled lamb chops and roasted, maple-glazed acorn squash.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

The 2009 release was a hit at my last bomber get togethor. This beer pours black as night with some slight reddish highlights and thick, foamy light brown head. Immediatly on the nose you pick up both sweet and roasty malts followed by dark fruit, wood and alcohol. The palate follows the aromas, however, along with the malts, dark fruit and wood there is a suprising amount of coffee. The bitterness is well balanced with thte sweetness. It is heavy and full bodied with a great crisp carbonation

The Abyss from Deschutes Brewery