19th Anniversary Belgian Style Golden Ale - Deschutes Brewery

19th Anniversary Belgian Style Golden Ale19th Anniversary Belgian Style Golden Ale

good

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Retired) Released 2007

(Beer added by: Cascadia on 06-15-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 19th Anniversary Belgian Style Golden Ale Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev -14.2%

22oz bomber picked up at Huckleberry's in Spokane for $4.29.

This poured a slightly hazy gold color, with an inch or so of white, semi-fizzy foam. It dropped rapidly and left little in the way of lace aside from the odd spot.

The nose wasn't as interesting as I had hoped. Vaguely earthy scent, with a mildly sweet honey-ish tinge and an equally mind grassiness. Most Belgian beers I've had tend to have a bit more character than this. The only Belgian or ersatz Belgian beer I've had with less character that I can think of right now is Stella. It depresses me no end to have to type that.

The taste starts out with a mildly sweet maltiness, then a somewhat dry grassiness and faintly peppery spiciness takes over. That's pretty much it.

The body of this beer is relatively thin, but doesn't have that almost indefinable lightness of touch that Belgian beers usually have. The mouthfeel is light and slightly prickly, but still unsatisfying.

A disappointing beer in that I expect better from Deschutes and I was looking forward to something vaguely Belgian tasting. There's probably a poor to fair Belgian beer out there that tastes like this, but I haven't been unlucky enough to have it yet. It was actually kinda refreshing in that it's light and vaguely crisp, but it's hella hot in Spokane right now, and refreshing can be achieved here by nearly any beverage that's cold, especially one that's nearly 9%abv.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

The Deschutes Bond Street Beers are now being carried at a local liquor store... and that of course, is a good thing.

Beer pours a clear gold color with a nice fluffy white head.

Aroma is peppery and with a touch of bananas.

Flavor is quite peppery. Strong crisp biting pepper flavor on the first sip. Beer then settles into a slightly creamy malt flavor, and a bitter and floral hop finish. This beer is has a nice pop and zing to it, but could probably use a bit of rest.

Mouthfeel is nice and full, thick, smooth, and supple.

A nice "version" of the Belgian Strong Pale Ale Style. This is unique, and worth a try. It's a bit potent right now, and might be even nicer a few months down the road. But I certainly enjoyed it right now.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

I guess this is Deschutes first brew of a Belgian ale. They did a good job.
Pours a hazed up, golden body. Carbonation rises to form a slight, yet dense looking white head. Most of the aroma is concentrated in the yeast patterns. Some herbal spice and unripe citrus linger in the background.
Malty for a Belgian ale, imo. Although this is not bad. A good balance between the zing of the yeast. Sweetens it up a bit and gives it some body and depth. Slight honeydew melon and pear detections.
Not sure how this feels. Smooth? Light? Chewy? A bit odd (or maybe I'm a bit odd).
Very nice drinking. I'll pick this one up again.

2.85/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured golden, as expected, with scant, bubbly head.

Both smell and taste have a good amount of boozy overtones, but beyond that is a fairly pleasant malty taste. Hops are well balanced with the malt, but in no way is this a heavily hopped beer. There is a good amount of citrus (mostly grapefruit) up front, and the beer leads to an earthy finish with mushroom notes. Good amount of pine as well, which comes out once the alcohol dissipates.

Effervescent carbonation helps its drinkability, but this is a beer that would be difficult to enjoy on a particularly warm day. Drinkable enough to sneak up on you, though.

I consider this beer to be a great deal for the price, but the overall impression is not one of something I'd buy by the case. Worth a try, though.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an effervescent honey color with 1 pinky of white head. Effervescence persists throughout. Average head retention & almost no lacing

S: Perfumy hops & a little grassyness

T: Apricots, lemony hops & little breadyness & honey up front. As this warms I get grapefruit & some boozey warmth & a firm malt background. Finishes warming with loads of lemony hops & some alcohol bite, like this as much as duvel taste-wise

mF: Low carbonation medium-heavy body & fairly slick

Drinks easy for the abv, not funky enough for Belgian-freaks, but I enjoyed it. It would advisable to stash a few bottles for aging & cooler weather

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

I’m always game for a bomber from Deschutes so I bought a couple bottles of this. This ale appears clear and golden in color; can you imagine that? There is almost no head save for a smattering of white bubbles in the middle of the Chimay chalice. The carbonation is rising steadily from the etching in the bottom. The smells I pick up are faint esters of cloves and thyme (weird). It tastes yeasty and fruity, maybe some apple. Mouthfeel is slightly bubbly to me. This is a good one and really seemed to open up as it warmed, I need to learn to let the bottle sit for awhile outside the fridge before I crack it. I think I will save the other bottle for a while. The alcohol is only barely noticeable. I really like the fact that Deschutes seasonal/big beers are not expensive (with the exception of Abyss which was going for $9 here in Colorado). This beer only cost $3.50 which was a very good price.

2.68/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my St Feuillien goblet, the 19th Anniversary Belgian Style Golden Ale is definitely gold, almost into orange/bronze territory, clear and bubbly, with a thin eggshell head that quickly subsides.

The nose is very sweet, lots of candi sugar bubblegum, with phenols and too much fusel alcohol.

The taste is not as sweet as the nose, with pleasant fruity notes and a nice spiciness. However, there are lots of phenols and it's very boozy.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side for a BSPA (although it's really not very pale!) but there's a nice effervescence to temper it.

This was not the most drinkable example of the style, an average American version. It was not light enough and too boozy, even though it's only 8.7%. In that regard, it reminds me of hop henge, another from the Bond Street Series where there fermentation temps seem to have ran away from them. All and all, it was interesting to try, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get a hold of hit. I's also not interesting enough for me to bother grabbing another to through in the cellar.

1.83/5  rDev -49%

Purchased 6-21 at Cedar Hills New Seasons. Consumed the same night so as to determine whether or not I'd be needing more.

The appearance didn't disappoint, but the aroma I was getting as I poured did. The beer was a few shades darker than golden, with an average head. No need to force it, and no need to ease back on the gas. It dissipated more quickly than I prefer. I didn't like the nose at all. Couldn't identify some of the more distinct aromas I was getting, but it just smelled too sweet and medicinal. I knew immediately that it was going to take me awhile to finish the beer. I couldn't believe it at first, but this beer actually had a slight malt liquor character to it. As I sipped, it only became more prevalent. The beer wasn't balanced at all. Far too malty for my taste, and I was actually getting hints of cough syrup. Overall, this is actually my least favorite beer I've tried in the last few years. Sorry to say it, because I love Deschutes. But it's the truth. I should note that I've been disappointed with many other belgian style ales in the past. Sometimes I wonder whether to chalk it up to abuse it may have suffered on it's journey to my fridge. I can't do that with this one though.

Just got this one in the store on Friday and am excited to try another release from the always-excellent Bond Street series. Poured from the 22oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.
Body is a bright golden color topped by a small, short-lived, creamy white head. Aroma of sweet bubble gum emanates as soon as the cap is popped, but after the pour settles into a more subtle, malty sweetness with a hint of apples, plum, and other sweet fruit. Palate is mildly sweet up front, with a fruity and slightly bitter hop profile balancing things out. The body is just a tad sticky, which is just about perfect for the style. The nuances and esters are a little lacking compared to a true Belgian ale, but this is a good American interpretation. Good job Decshutes on branching out to a completely new style of beer.

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Got the first two bottles I saw at Market of Choice today in Eugene. I've been waiting to try this one since I heard about it.

Pours a nice clear pale-straw yellow with a good head, not the strongest retention, but a pretty beer nonetheless.

Smells of citrus and noble hops, a very pleasant yeast smell comes through at the end too. So far so good.

Taste is very nice, the bitter hops come in first, followed by a great nose of belgian yeast, ending with a slight burn. Nicely balenced flavors. Good chewy mouth feel too. Perfect for the style.

Very drinkable brew here, tip of the hat to the Deschutes Brewery team once again. I look forward to putting a few of these down for a year or two to see how the hops and malts play out.

Cheers!