Black Butte XX - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Porter |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: josiahschlender on 05-23-2008

Porter brewed with chocolate beans and coffee added with 20% aged in bourbon barrels.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Butte XX Alström Bros
4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

650ml bottle 11,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.

I cannot thank futura123 enough for sending this bottle my way! Black Butte XX has been near at the top of my wants list for years and was one I thought I would never get the chance to try - thanks again man.

Appearance: Black Butte XX appears pitch black in the glass, with a strong back light revealing wide, deep crimson edges. A rough pour yields a large (much larger than I expected from a four year old bottle), creamy, mocha coloured head that lasts pretty well and even coats the glass in some patchy lace as it recedes.

Smell: Good Lord, this smells amazing! Rich, sweet dark chocolate, cocoa dusted chocolate mouse, cocoa flavoured butter icing, dark toffee, caramel, toasted marshmallow, sweet liqueur cherries, light coffee, light vanilla and a hint of bourbon are just some of the notes that come to mind on each sniff. As the beer approaches room temperature, light salty liquorice and a hint of smoke are also noted.

Taste: As the nose suggested, this is absolutely delicious! The initial flavour is of sweet dark chocolate, cocoa, dark toffee, sweet caramel, sweet dark fruits, liqueur cherries, light bourbon and vanilla. This fades into the most amazing, lightly bitter mochachino finish. As the beer warms, hints of salty liquorice are noted and a distinct oak character become apparent along side the mochachino notes in the finish.

Mouthfeel: This was the one department in which I expected the age of this bottle to be quite evident. Thankfully I could not have been more wrong!
The body is almost full and quite heavy with a moderate (read perfect) amount of soft carbonation.

Overall: I cannot believe how well this beer has held up after almost four years in the bottle, if I did not know better I would not think it was more than 18 months old! I am certainly going to have to make an effort to get at least one bottle of each release! (1,950 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -11.4%

22oz bottle poured into snifter - thanks to claspada

Pours a deep black color with some lighter brown tones. The head is pretty much just a flash, dissipating into a little cloudy of film and a few spots of lacing.

Roasty and warm in the nose with some chocolate sweetness. This feels noticeably duller than the XXI and XXIII, which we opened alongside this. Still some nice vanilla and boozy oak though.

The experience was somewhat similar to the nose, as the beer begins roasty and warm with plenty of malt character. The heat has died out almost completely, leaving dark chocolate and bready caramel. Some vanilla and whiskey with a faint notion of coffee beans. Finishes a little warm and roasty on the tongue.

Medium body, decent carbonation, a little listless on the tongue but still fairly creamy and slick. This drank pretty well despite the age but I think it might be fair to say this one's past its prime. (923 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4%

Pours black with a wispy head. Nose is a pretty richly integrated dark roast and barrel, not overly sugary or fruity, perhaps a touch of umami. Mouth is pretty dry at first, a sharp barrel quality with some dark fruits and anise swirls in. Very nice flavor profile. Body is thin and highly carbonated. First comparison is Birth of Tragedy. This blows away the other Black Butte I've had, can't remember which one. (413 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottle obtained in a trade with JohnGalt1 a few years ago.

Pours out a deep, impenetrable black with a light brown head.

Aroma-wise, charred malt is most apparent along with some woody bourbon and slight smokeyness. I believe that soy sauce as a descriptor is overused, but in this case, it’s very fitting. As it really opens up, the bourbon and alcohol combination gives off sort of a minty aroma.

Flavor is heavy on sweet molasses with a prominent smokeyness, bitter coffee and a bit of chocolate. Bourbon is still noticeable and mouth drying tannins are very apparent in the finish, which includes a slight alcoholic bite. Contrary to expectations based on the label, the bourbon barrel aging is much more apparent than cocoa nibs.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with soft, slow carbonation.

A good beer that’s maintained plenty of complexity over its 4+ years. But not as good as the XIII, in my opinion. The high level of char and bitterness clashed a bit too much with the sweetness for me. Could possibly have been much better when the cocoa was still present. Still glad to have the chance to compare to the more recent versions. Thanks again Toby! (1,164 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Huge thanks to dgb3 for the bottle. You are the man!

22oz bottle poured into a Deschutes Snifter glass.

A - Pours a deep dark brown with a half a finger dark tan head. It fades pretty quickly to the edges, but leaves rings of lacing on the glass.

S - Very chocolatey, bourbon, oak, and almost a dark cherry scent.

T - The chocolate hits you first, then some strong coffee, and a nice bourbon finish.

D - Nice carbonation and body. Smooth, with a slight burn at the finish.

O - So nice, I am glad I was able to finally try this one. It really is top notch. (561 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -8.2%

22oz bottle into NB snifter. Thanks a ton for sending me this bottle, kingkong!

A: Pours a very very dark brown, almost black, with raisin highlights. A very thin head surfaced then receded into a lasting collar that left spotty lace down the glass.
S: The nose is full of spicy bourbon and vanilla followed by rich dark chocolate and sweet caramel. Not as vibrant as I imagine it once was, but this smells like its aged gracefully.
T: Woodier than the nose suggested, very roasted. Not super sweet at this point. I get flavors of coco nibs, caramel, vanilla and coffee. The coffee is all but faded at this point but it still adds a subtle depth to the flavor. Bourbon brings up the finish and is still lightly warm and lingering. Spice barrel notes come through in the aftertaste as well.
M: Slick and a bit thin on the mouthfeel front. The body is medium-full though and goes down clean.
O: This beer isn’t getting any better but it’s still extremely drinkable. Thanks again for hooking it up Patrick. (1,010 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +6.5%

Split w/ bbb099 and scottfrie. THANKS!!!

A: The suspense builds, starting with the epic bottle cap. Pours an inky near-black with absolutely no head. Looks flat, but absolutely no light comes through.

S: Chocolate, bourbon, chocolate, coffee, and malt. The malt comes across as a bit subdued, but its very smooth and well-rounded. Only a hint of the booze that had to have been there three years ago. No trace of hops left whatsoever.

T: Chocolate dominates, as the coffee is mild and the bourbon has faded a bit. The booze that didn't come through with the nose hits pretty good here. Smooth, delicious, but as scottfrie says "you can taste the age". This beer has likely sat for a little bit too long, but that's only a minor complaint.

M: Thick and chewy, but not quite as CRAZY thick as I was initially expecting. After thinking about it though, it fits the style well. Definitely not flat as the carb is pretty solid.

O: Deschutes shits gold. I approve. I would have loved to have this beer a year ago, but I'm so thankful to have it now. I approve whole-heartedly. (1,078 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Thanks scotfrie for this one! Reviewed on 12/16/2011

A - Almost completely black color with wispy and web-like mocha-colored head.

S - Substantial amount of roasted cocoa aroma accompanied by some coffee.

T - Roasted cocoa comes in first followed by some bourbon booziness. A little coffee taste and molasses come through.

M - A little flat, which was expected. Full bodied and relatively creamy, viscous.

O - Probably the best porter I have ever had. Great look, aroma and taste with the addition of high alcohol content. (527 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Traded a Bottle of my Homebrew for a bottle of this...

A: Deep Dark No light could fight its way through even at the edge of my glass. Poured thick with a very very small about of chocolate brown head, that retreated quickly.

S: Spicy and Sweet. Stronger on the Coffee than the Chocolate.

T: Rich and Complex, Great mix of the dark Chocolate coming out heavier than the smell would lead you to believe. Wondering how much of the bourbon barrel aging affected the flavor. Being aged a couple of years would add some alcohol too. Wish I would have reviewed the bottle I drank off the shelf.

F: Not as thick as I was expecting. Wonderful feel though to round out all the intense flavor. (687 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%

poured into a 5.5 ounce snifter

Solid all the way through. Nice surprise thrown into the end of a sampling that was heavy in imperial stouts. This beer stood out to me above all the rest in the lineup. Roasty, chocolate, very well balanced and extremely smooth. Super glad I was able to sample this goodness. (309 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%

670th Review on BA
Bottle to Flute
22oz

App- Nearly the color of the label with a tiny bit of head on it. Bubbles line the edges of the glass.

Smell- Still retained it's roasty note but at the same time kept a bit of heat from the bourbon barrels. Not overly boozy. Smells very smooth.

Taste- Taste follows the nose where this was super smooth with a chocolate roast and a little tinge of the barrels. For an older bottle, just super tasty with a nice chocolate/coffee profile taking over.

Mouth- Smooth, rich, creamy, medium bodied and a paired low carbonation level.

Drink- Well it all started with XXI and I dont know how I missed XXII but XXIII was amazing on tap and this well the big XX was a monster and just very tastefully done and not overbearing. I would love to sit in a corner alone with another bottle. (821 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Black color beer with a hefty brown head that had some good retention and some surprising lacing.

S - Lots of toasted and roasted malts coming on this one. Chocolate and caramel with a little bit of citrus hops on the end, although you really have to look for it.

T - Reminds me more of a stout than anything else. Impressive chocolate and roast, with some nice coffee and fine caramel. Very smooth with a nice bit of hops at the end.

M - Smooth, creamy, full bodied, appropriate carbonation.

O - Really a fantastic beer. Great balance and taste, would love to drink this all the time. (593 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Fist off, thank you so very, very much to kevinv for sending this to me as an extra in our recent trade! This has been my top want since I had the pleasure of trying XXI on tap at a local bar for a Deschutes event a while back. Kevin you are awesome and I don't think I could thank you enough!

Alright so on this 14th night of July I'll be reviewing Black Butte XX for my 20th review and a little bit of celebration of a year on BeerAdvocate since by BA time it's technically already the 15th. What the hell. XXI will be tomorrow for my 21st review and a little compare and contrast. Cheers!

Appearance - Poured into my Deschutes balloon glass (that I got with a pour of XXI at the event I went to), this one manages to muster up a little more than a figer high, foamy, light cocoa powder brown colored head. The head dissapates pretty quickly as expected thanks to the high ABV and the barrel aging, but leaves some moderate, sticky lacing around the glass. Still, a nice ring and a thin film of bubbles stick around for a while. Wonderfully murky black color with hardly even the slightest hint of brown around the edges. No, this ones dark as night.

Smell - The smell of this one is quite nice. Lots of big, bold roasted malt coming at you, plenty of smooth coffee notes and milk and sweet chocolate. There's very light, very suble straight bourbon notes, but I am getting plenty of vanilla, caramel, toasted coconut and maybe some faint woodsy oak smell on the back, but it's light. Very nice melding of aromas and I also get a hint of leather to go along with those aromas the bourbon barrel undoubtedly imparted. I would've preferred more of a % aged in Bourbon barrels for this, but that's just my personal preference. Otherwise, this beer smells quite wonderful.

Taste - After some lengthy buildup and anticipation, not only from opening the bottle (which took me surprisingly long with all that damn wax), but also with typing out all of the previous verbage, XX really delivers a flavorful punch on the first sip and definitely lives up to my expectations. Cocoa nibs and dark chocolate galore, roasted malts a plenty, coffee notes abound, caramel and vanilla and sweetness provid an allure, notes of bourbon and oak dance along my tastebuds, dark fruit notes and hints of toasted coconut entice my palate even further. A slight hint of booziness lingers at the back of the throat. Have I painted you a beautiful mental picture? Are you salavating yet? Just a wonderfully smooth combination of flavors that I quite enjoy.

Mouthfeel - Consistency if of a silky smooth nature, carbonation is light/creamy, body is not quite full but moderately so (drinks wonderfully for an imperial, high ABV porter), and the finish is moderate but not lingering. Nicely done I should say.

Overall - Hmm, where do I start? Well, there was a surprising amount of coffee aroma and flavor still left after about 3 years, so I guess that's a testament to how much coffee they added. This beer really is fantastic. Others might not be as enamored with it as I am, but that's a matter of personal tastes. To be fair, I think this beer has hit its peak and is on its way down. It was still quite good and could easily handle more time aging, but I think the flavors really are at a peak now (if they weren't when it was fresh, but I didn't have the luxury). Whatever your opinion, enjoy. It's a finely crafted brew. Cheers Deschutes! Here's to 20 more years! (3,449 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks once again to HimerMan for providing me the best beers I have ever had in my life.
Pours deep deep dark brown with good carbonation and nice brown 1 1/2 finger head in my snifter.
The aromas begin with heavy roast, almost smells meaty like a piece of pork that has been cooked in a smoker all day. I hate smoke beers so lets hope the smoke ends here on the nose. As it warms I get more of the dark roasted malts; mainly coffee and dark bitter cocoa. Hops are obviously not a factor here after 3 years.
The tastes begin with a boat ton of roasted malts. Dark chocolate and burnt coffee beans highlight the initial flavors. Probably the most roasted dark grain flavor I have ever had in a beer. As it warms the dark fruity flavors emerge thankfully balancing out the previously almost unpalatable burnt flavors. This is quite enjoyable now, I obviously should have known better and left this to open up to let the flavors truly emerge.
The mouthfeel is full and sticky; the flavors stick to your palate and linger into the finish. Carbonation is quite nice and quite appropriate for the style.
Overall I enjoyed this beer a lot, but surprisingly not as much as the version from a year after which I sampled a few months back. The coffee is much more prevalent is this version and I preferred the dark fruit flavors of the XXI. Still quite good, especially the fact that I could not even come close to detecting the 11% ABV, I'll probably feel it tomorrow though... (1,470 characters)

6-26-11
Poured in a XX, XXI, and XXIII vert. Pours pitch black with amber edges; aroma is chocolate and tootsie rolls, beets. Tastes of subdued chocolate yet heavy on the tootsie roll, muted coffee, raisins. Mouthfeel still has grip, beginning to thin compared to the newer versions. Carbonation is medium, sweetness has mellowed.

4-10-11
Pours black with reddish mahogany edges, tan head about two fingers, falls to a nice cap of lacing. Smell is chocolate and coffee, raisins, licorice, and all sorts of goodness. Taste is coffee, chocolate, roast malt and char, slight soy, black coffee again. As it warms and my palate adjusts I pick up more chocolate, oak char, and licorice. Mouthfeel is on the light side, which is appropriate for a porter style. Carbonation is medium yet prickly, flavors coat the back of the mouth. Pretty drinkable for an imperial, Deschutes always comes through for me on their Reserve Series. Another win for this one! (948 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Poured a deep deep brown with good carbonation and nice brown head.

S: Nose roasted malts, cocoa, coffee

T: Taste was a blast of cocoa nibs, milky chocolate, oh so msooth woodiness, light coffee and roasted malts Exceptional!

M: Nice and creamy, good body and carbonation

O: Very good. This beer is holding up like a champ! (332 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -5.1%

Served in a plastic cup

Thanks to Mages64 for the mad hook-up on this want so I could share it with my peeps on DLD.

This pours blacker than most porters that I've touched, but it's looks really similar to the BBXXI which I must admit I enjoyed. This beer being aged on coffee beans and chocolate bean partially in bourbon barrel...nothing about that is bad. The aroma is a nice bourbon and heavy roast. It smells like a damn good cup of mocha. There is vanilla mixed-in to help smooth out the coffee. I'm surprised how strong the coffee flavor is in this beer from 2008. I would have imagined that it would have faded significantly. That having been said it's almost still a bit boozy. I would have thought age would have been it's friend for mouthfeel, but it's still a touch on the acidic side. Overall this was a very tasty beer and I'm truly glad I was able to have it and share it with other amazing BAs. (912 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

Served in a clear plastic cup.

Big thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

After the success of BBXXI, there is quite a bit of anticipation in front o' this one. It pours a rather murky black-brown topped by a bit more than a finger of sandstone foam. The nose comprises oak, vanilla, caramel, straight barley, and some light roasted malts. The taste holds notes of roasted malts, oak, dark chocolate, a touch of booze, plenty of coffee, and some more of that straight barley character. The body is a solid medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta dry finish. Overall, a pretty damn solid brew, though I think the slight age hasn't really helped this one out as much as it could potentially have. Cryptic as that kinda was, it's how my brain reacted. Boom. (774 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

A- Pours a dark brown that leans toward black head is brown colored. Head becomes a cap that recedes quickly into a thick collar. Not a whole lot of lacing left behind.

S- Quite a bit of vanilla, roasted malts and coffee. A bit of dark chocolate, dark fruits and a little booze.

T- A very nice vanilla-coffee blend, leaning towards vanilla sweetness. Roasted malts and dark chocolate, with oak presence. Darker fruits maybe raisins. A light alcohol warmth in the aftertaste.

M- Fuller side of medium and low carbonation.

O- I think this was my favorite of the tasting. Very well crafted brew. (600 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to Normyk for sharing this bottle at the last Jackie O's release. Man my notes are as ever backlogged.

Nice thick black stout. Not much more to say considering the size of my sample.

Smelled very smooth, nice amounts of vanilla and roasted malt, akin to a traditional RIS. And actually at the time of writing my notes I believed that this was in fact a RIS.

The taste was really nice. There was a smoothness usually reserved for oatmeal stouts. Lots of dry oaky notes really add character to this beer. Charcoal and ash also are prominent. The barrel aging is smooth and well balanced, just enough to add the vanilla and sweet tobacco type of nuances bourbon is good for.

The mouthfeel was very smooth, but thick. My notes suggest that this is a full bodied porter, in which case I was confused at the time expecting even more, thinking it was a stout. As a porter this beer is exceptional, as most porters are far too thin for my taste.

To be honest I knew little to nothing about this beer when I drank it. I had no idea there was coffee added, and did not really pick up on any coffee flavors. I think that's enough evidence that coffee does drop off over time, and 2 years is a lot of time for an ingredient some suggest is only slightly less unstable than hops.

Either way a solid beer that I'd be happy to try again. Thanks Rob! (1,347 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Big thanks to Normyk for opening this at Jackie O's.

A- This is not one of those porters that is questionably thin, or even more brown than black. This is borderline stout. A tight mocha head caps a blackhole colored beer.

S- The aroma is very woodsy, an almost nutty level of oak with a soft bourbon backdrop. I havent had a fresher Black Butte but it seems like the bourbon has mellowed and allowed the oak to show more of itself. There is a high level of roasted malts paired up with a touch of coffee. Perhaps the coffee has weakened over the 2 years as well.

T- The taste is right in line with the aroma. There is a ribbon of smooth, mellow bourbon on the front. It breaks into a full blown barrel wood flavor. From there bourbon heat is back and bigger than before. The finish can get quite boozy indeed. Coffee is strong on the finish as well. It helps to tie in the roasted malts. This seems to be all about the juxtaposition of silky oak and bourbon and roasty malts and coffee.

M- Very smooth finish despite the heat on the back end. Its down right silky.

I need to make Black Butte a yearly ISO. (1,114 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%

On tap at Beachwood

A- thick dark chocolate with a one finger head that faded slowly and soft laced the glass

S- quick boozy kick followed by bitter chocolate and ground coffee

T- toasty smoked hide and chocolate. Very big on the roast. A slight sour dark fruit ending

M- thick and creamy. So smooth, with a nice carbonation

D- amazing. So smooth and satisfying (366 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -17.5%

Draft service into a tulip glass at Beachwood BBQ.

A: Opaque black color with over one finger of fine, persistent mocha-tinted foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Ferric umami dominates--slightly bloody--with used coffee grounds and dark chocolate also detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with with dark fruit, roasted malt, and occasionally intense acidity. The middle features chocolate and coffee in excellent balance as acidity fades. Bitterness is restrained in the drying finish, where malt and chocolate linger on the palate.

M: Medium viscosity, prevailing sensations on the palate waffle between either acidity bordering on unpleasant or unctuously creamy, with moderate carbonation.

D: Interesting at times but a chore to drink at others, this beer provides another reason to reconsider making your special, limited edition beer in the style of the imperial porter. At its best this beer is a wonder to behold, but unfortunately it has some low points that are equally drastic. While I was pleased to have the opportunity to drink this beer on-draft from a keg cellared by the brewer, it is perhaps not the equal of the bottle-conditioned format. The fact that I found a bottled one-year-old Black Butte XXI to be superior to this beer may further indicate the superiority of bottle-cellaring for this line of anniversary beers. (1,349 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

I split this bottle with drabmuh last weekend.

I picked this up while on the west coast, soon after it was released.

A: The body of this beer appears jet black and dark brown at the crest when held to the light. The beer has an inch of thick, beige head that leaves a healthy amount of lacing upon the glass.

S: Coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, cocoa.

T: A really tasty brew. Flavors include chocolate, subtle bourbon (perhaps age lessened the prominence of the booze), coffee, cocoa. Everything is balanced and integrated very well.

M: Smooth and creamy with a moderately low amount of carbonation.

D: Splitting a bomber two ways was no problem. Tasty beer. (666 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured into Founders Snifter

Pours ½ finger of light tan head. Fades to a thin ring. Leaves a slight amount of lace.

Aroma: The bourbon sticks out with a bit of heat. I was kind of surprised as I didn't expect this much. Has vanilla, chocolate, caramel, and a roasty coffee showing. It is sweet and roasted. Pretty malty.

Taste: More heat, booze, and bourbon up front. Very chocolaty and roasted. A lot of coffee bitterness. Caramel and vanilla also show. I also get some brewers licorice mixed in there. It is pretty creamy.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, and rich. Medium bodied with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry and roasted.

Overall, at first sip I wasn't a fan, but as I drank more if it I liked it. It is a really solid porter with a ton of flavor. It is decently drinkable, but a bomber was a good idea to split. I could easily have this again. (872 characters)

Black Butte XX from Deschutes Brewery