2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

The DissidentThe Dissident

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012

(Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008)
View: Beers (118) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
Ratings: 897 | Reviews: 420 | Show All Ratings:
wrightro07

A: nice red hue from the cherries no real head
S: Nice fruity smell with sour undertones
T: The taste of this beer is really good. I love this brew and wish it came out every year like Abyss. It is pleasantly sour with a cherry backbone, and really becomes better as it warms up close to room temp. I am really excited for my bottles that are aging.
D: I would love this brew. I cannot wait to open a bottle next year.

12-31-2010 00:53:56 | More by wrightro07
twiggamortis420

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Thanks to russpowel for this gem, 2008 vintage. Pours a fairly clear, light crimson color with a large-bubbled, fluffy tan head. Retention is fairly poor, but not altogether unexpected for a 9% sour.

Nose is of rotting wood, assuming from some brett along with some cranberry and red apple fruitiness. Has a very pleasing sweet/sour balance. Smells great.

Pretty authentic flanders here, Deschutes has done a great job as usual. Sourness and vinegar aspect of the beer is pretty sharp and has a nice bite. Sour cherry and cranberry fruitiness is well done and does not go overboard. I could see this one would not age well over extended periods of time as the vinegar aspect of the beer would start to overwhelm. From the taste of it, seems 2 years is just about right. There is even a touch of hop presence, giving it a little North American feel. The rotting wood character that was prevalent in the nose is more in the background on the palate. The ABV is ridiculously well hidden, cant even taste it. I could easily drink a whole bomber to myself and still might crave some more. Excellent beer, I really dig it. Goes well with Craisins and soft chevre goat cheese.

01-23-2010 15:43:54 | More by twiggamortis420
atleehammaker

2010 release

For all the difficulty I've heard about finding this beer and how quickly they apparently sold out at local specialty beer stores, I was stunned to find plenty of them at my local Bevmo.

Appearance: Reddish/orange/brown color and pretty clear with not much head.

Smell: You had me at hello. The smell on this is unbelievably inviting. Sweet and sour, cherries, oak, wine. You can definitely smell the Brett.

Taste: Tastes as good as it smells. Similar flavors. Sweet/sour, cherries, oak, vinegar, wine and Brett. Finishes w/ a slight warming from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Slight carbonation. I felt it would be mildly better with a bit less carbonation, but that should occur with some aging. Warm from the booze.

Drinkability: This went down much too easy for the 11% alcohol. Seems like a late night beer, but I had half of it with dinner and it went well with my herb roasted chicken, like a nice glass of wine. It went exceptionally well with the dark chocolate I had for dessert, which really brought out the sweetness and cherry flavor.

This is one of the best sour beers I've ever had...right up there with Russian River Consecration. So good that I went back to Bevmo later that night to buy more.

12-10-2010 16:36:49 | More by atleehammaker
StuporJew

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

2012 Vintage, Poured into Duvel Chalice.

Appearance - Cloudy, rust-brown. Almost the color of freshly made caramel sauce, but with some red dirt thrown in for fun. So excited to taste this beer...

Smell - Typical Oud Bruin funk, with leather, HEAVY cherry, clove, bell pepper, and wine barrel notes. You can seriously smell the Pinot Noir barrel on this beer... (I know. The brewmaster and I had a good conversation about the barrels they use) Vanilla and grape-skin are apparent in the nose too. Eek!!!

Taste - Everything I hoped for in this beer, and then some. Pinot Noir, vanilla and oak lead the palate, followed by the tart cherry notes, some more tobacco smoke / cigar box, and some creaminess out of left field. I cannot begin to explain the complexity in the flavor palate of this beer... All I can say is WOW. It could surely do with some time to mature, and transmogrify into something even more complex and beastly!

Mouthfeel - Sharp acidity akin to Oregon Pinot Noir (This flavor is pretty dominant in this beer), white grape/kumquat. Full and slightly creamy, which is somewhat strange for a sour. But round and perfectly effervescent, as it should be. Once again, I do not have enough words to perfectly describe this beer... But I will find them, when I open my other bottle, next year.

Overall - a phenomenal beer all around. The influence of the cherries, and wine barrel-aging impact this beer in a way that makes it unique, but a close friend to every Flemish-style sour ale on the face of the planet. Deschutes should be DAMN PROUD of this beer. Out of all the American interpretations of the Flemish style, this one is not only an amazing and spot-on homage to the style... it should be a preview of the next step in the evolution of sour ales. I am floored by this beer. You should drink it. (*Arnold Voice*) DRINK IT! DRINK IT NOW!!!

Cheers.

11-30-2012 02:28:06 | More by StuporJew
IgotsHops

Washington

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

This was amazing. Gorgeous nut brown with lace and very clear. Begged to be consumed. Smelled sour, with brown sugar and fig. Tasted the sourness upfront, but backed with a solid sweetness of brown sugar, fig, some dark and red fruit, toasty malt, and buscuity malt.
The flavors and carbonation danced around on the tongue, and the layers of flavor kept changing. The mouthfeel was exceptionally balanced with carbonation and viscosity of the beer. Smooth, crisp, warming, and intriguing.
I felt like I was drinking this all night, and not being conservative, but I didn't even finish my snifter. Oddly enough, I felt totally satisfied.
One of the best beers I've ever had.

09-15-2008 19:23:37 | More by IgotsHops
johnd513

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Huge thanks goes to goodbyeohio for this one!
Smells of sweet and tart fruit with granny smith apples, cranberry, cherry and raspberries. The taste starts very tart and follows with flavors of cherries, cranberries and other tart fruits. The mouthfeel has medium body and has carbonation that tickles the tongue. Drinkability is high. I could not put this down and had no trouble finishing the bottle. This was my first sour beer and it leaves me wanting to try more. Highly recommended to those who want to try something different.

12-16-2008 23:53:29 | More by johnd513
litheum94

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

2010 Vintage. Best after 11/1/11. Reviewed 3/24/12.
Big thanks to daysinthewake for sharing this.

Pours a ruby body that's very murky, with a minimal head. What's there is reddish-brown.

Tons of cherries on the nose. Funky, with some vinegar. Medicinal, band-aid aromas. Lovely!

Full, juicy, cherry flavors, with a little tartness. Oaky, woody flavors. Medicinal funk, with some band aids and acetic sourness. Good dose of spicing, leaving a peppery warmness in the mouth.

Fantastic. The benchmark of the style for me. Could not get enough of this.

05-02-2012 04:02:16 | More by litheum94
SurlyDuff

~~This is 9% abv, not 11. Needs to be corrected.~~

Had this beauty ontap at the Bend Public House and also brought home a bomber for today. Review is on the 22oz bottle.

Lucious clear reddish brown with champagne size bubbles rising up my ChurchBrewworks tulip glass. Thin tan head sits atop.

Sharp bitter and tart fruit. Interesting cherry aroma...Ripe, yet tart. Slight brett and vinegar notes in the aroma, but a bit subdued compared to other flanders' ive had.

Great taste! Mouthwatering sour pucker and a smooth fruit pop. There's not much vinegar or off flavors in the finish. Some cinnamon and other earthy flavors in the aftertaste. The carbonation really stands out, making it almost champagne like. Incredibly drinkable and smooth. When it warms up, it brings out some more fruit flavor, as well as some black pepper and cinnamon, a nice little spice indeed.

As a sour beer fan, this really hits the spot. I will be promptly acquiring a case of this and visiting the brewpub as frequently as possible. I assure you of that!

09-04-2008 23:46:03 | More by SurlyDuff
mtrentm

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a deep crimson color with a pillowy 2 finger off-white head that leaves behind nice lacing.

S: WOW! Love the aroma of this take on a flanders! The aroma is very fruity I get a lot of sour cherries with a slight apple cider vinegar smell to it followed by some oak & earthy aromas. There is a slight band-aid/medicinal smell from the bret.

T: My taste buds are screaming with the first sip! Fruity and slightly sweet upfront but the sweetness gets cut nicely by the sourness and sour cherry flavors. The medicinal flavors from the bret are present but just slightly.

M: This is a medium-bodied beer with carbonation and mouthfeel that remind me of a nice Champagne. It also has a nice tartness that doesn't go overboard as being too sour.

D: This is big in alcohol for a flanders style @ 9% but the the alcohol doesn't come through as over powering making it very drinkable.

This beer has mellowed out a bit since the first time I had it when it was released. I have a couple more bottles cellaring and can't wait to see how it develops the next time I pop one!

06-07-2009 18:10:19 | More by mtrentm
RustyDiamond

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +15%

2008 edition. Poured into the last glass that I was offered this fine beer during SF Beer Week- Jupiter/Triple Rock snifter.
Cherry red brown in appearance, with a smallish off white head. Held up to the light, this reminds me of a 12 year Pappy Van Winkle glass. Very striking.
Musky aroma, cherry, just right. A little oak, a little whiff of cow poo and wet hay.
Tart up front with a nice smooth transition into a little sour. Just right with a little dryness. Chunk of Brett stings the tongue. All the components of an exceptional take on a classic style. Oak and sour lingering on the palate, dry and nice.
Slow and long sippper...as good as it gets.

12-11-2009 08:59:21 | More by RustyDiamond
badboyrsl84

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a cherry brown with a fuzzy 1 inch head

Smell - sweet cherries and sour cherries in the end. The sourness is detected in the smell.

Taste- lots of sweet cherries up front with a cherry brett kick in the aftertaste.

Overall- its very easy to drink and crisp. The tastebuds beg for more. No hint of any alcohol. My fav sour.

07-09-2011 06:02:09 | More by badboyrsl84
leedorham

Washington

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

A - poured into a tulip. Brownish red with an off-white head.

S - Acidic to the nose with the cherries definitely present.

T - Tart but not too tart. Sour, sweet, and bitter intermingle perfectly.

M - Quite full bodied with some acidity on the tongue.

D - This is a great addition to a meal or as a standalone experience.

I enjoyed this beer quite a lot. Sad that I don't have much left but looking forward to trying it again in a year.

01-04-2011 21:12:21 | More by leedorham
kyjaffa

New Mexico

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance- This beer has a surprising color. It’s a vibrant amber with a hint of red, and a pours a cream colored head.

Smell- There is no doubt that this is a sour ale. The scent of the Brett yeast is powerful and takes over much of the pallet. There are some subtle hints of oak as well.

Taste- Brace yourself, and drink back that distinctly sour Brett yeast flavor. You’ll never have another beer that has that distinctly pungent flavor. The alcohol is also most present at the front of the beer. It slowly fades into a somewhat smoked cheese flavor, and ends with a pleasantly sweet cherry aftertaste. This is never offensive and always delicious.

Mouthfeel- The feel is smooth, and carbonated. It comes across as slightly thin, but with a beer of this robustness its a welcome texture.

Overall- This is a great beer. If you missed it this time around, wait until 2012. Rumor has it a new incarnation of The Dissident will be released then. hopefully we’ll see it make it’s way into our fine state.

Serving Type- Bottle

04-20-2011 08:27:54 | More by kyjaffa
funkinsk8

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

I was excited to try this on tap. I've had it out of the bottle, and it was great. I'm a draft guy. I had a 5oz. pour in a small goblet.

A-slightly cloudy, very little head retention. No lacing at all.
Medium brown/light amber color

S-Very strong smells of oak and alcohol. Some fruit smells lurking in the background. Cherries? Raspberries? Both? Sweet and phenolic.

T-Complex wood character with a sour that isn't overpowering. The fruit on the nose really come out. Sourish to start with a mellow sweetness that kinda grows on you.

M-Coats your tongue and cheeks. You can still taste the sour fruits a full minute after you swallow. Full body feel with a light body taste if that makes any sense at all.

D-When i had it in the bottle it was 5 of us just barely getting a taste. This time I could have as much as I wanted. Although the 11% ABV comes through on the nose and in the taste I could have a pour before dinner and two after.
Delicious. Simply Delicious.

02-17-2009 06:39:36 | More by funkinsk8
DosBeerigos

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

C: Clear
H: Amber
N: Sour Cherries, Hint of Funk (Bret), and Hint of Booze

First of all big thanks to DimenHetfield for bringing this sexy wax topped bottle back from Cali to share with me.

BEST AFTER 11/01/2011…….AFTER? REALLY? Yep….I never followed directions well. Tough.

Beer was an amazing experience that was subtle sour cherries hints of other berries, and then some funk. A very light beer that reminded me almost of Sour Apple Juice. Good…DAMN STRAIGHT IT WAS! I would buy a few bottles to maybe drink after the date suggested on the bottle. Sadly, we don’t get this beer in Florida and it is a pretty hard bottle to come by otherwise. Regardless this was a class act beer! Great entry level sour.

04-29-2011 14:28:12 | More by DosBeerigos
gtermi

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer pours a brownish amber body with a thin tan head that quickly fades and leaves a tiny bit of lacing on the glass.

S: Strong amount of cherries hit me right in the face! There is also a nice strong sour smell that tingles the nose. It sort of has a bubble gum smell too

T: Like the taste, there is a good amount of cherries. There is also a nice sound of sourness that turns into a sweet fruity flavor. This is seriously one of the best beers that I have ever tasted

M: There is a tingle on the jaws that come from the sour. There is also a little bit of carbonation on the back of the throat as the beer goes down.

O: Deschutes does it again! Man this is one bad ass beer that instantly becomes one of my favorites of all time. I can't wait to try this beer after the "Best After" date

12-01-2012 04:14:32 | More by gtermi
N3rdM3t4l

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Wax sealed brown bomber with best by date on label. Too bad I ignored that and am drinking it 9 months early!

A: sidepour gets no head or cap or ring. That could be the 11% or so alcohol doing its work. Pours a cloudy red tinted brown. Exactly what I expected to see. And boy do it look tasty.

S: I don't even need to be near the glass to smell the sour cherry. Making me salivate. Nose to the glass gets more cherry and some alcohol. Bits of oaky vanilla and no hops.

T: tart cherry followed by more tart and some more tartness. A hint of sweetness followed by more tart delicious cherry. Wonderfully sour beer.

M: medium body, good and smooth.

O: this bottle is 9months shy of its best after date so it needs a little age. It is kinda harsh but where it is going is fantastic. Can mostly taste the sour not much maltyness.

12-29-2012 05:56:00 | More by N3rdM3t4l
brentk56

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a cloudy russet color with a thick head that retains exquisitely and sheets the tulip with lace

Smell: Tart cherries, oak, green apple, peaches and a hint of vanilla

Taste: Fresh peaches, up front, though it is just a moment before the tart cherry and green apple flavors arrive to overwhelm the palate; the oaky aspect figures into the profile before the swallow, but what ensues is a surprisingly sweet character and yeasty funk (vanilla included) that lingers underneath the sour flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate, but prickly carbonation; somewhat creamy, nevertheless

Drinkability: An outstanding achievement by the brewery - not previously known for their sours

Note: I preferred the 2008 to the much boozier 2010, which was a bit overwhelming

11-29-2009 00:12:05 | More by brentk56
Hempdigler

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Today (12/10/10) I have climbed to the pinnacle of Mt. Beerdom. I have finally sipped my first taste of the much acclaimed Deschutes Dissident.
Just hours after the oldest restaurant on the oldest street in Minneapolis "Pracna on Main" tapped one of two kegs in the state I took my first sip into the "good-ass beer" subculture. Deschutes clearly sits high atop the throne of Beerdom and today was the day I became a citizen of that world.

I was expecting a good old pint of beer, but what I received was a snifter specially made for Deschutes Dissident. The waitress presented the golden brown and lightly rose colored snifter of heaven to me with a smile that told me she knew what I was about to experience. At first glance Dissident hardly looks like a beer, there was no head in the glass and there are only a touch of bubbles floating from the bottom of the glass. If it wasn't for the big Deschutes logo on the side of the glass I would have thought it was cognac.

Convinced I had beer in front of me proceeded nose first to give the beer a good sniff. The sweet smell of fermented cherries filled my nostrils. I hadn't had a cherry beer in ten years, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I don't remember enjoying the beer much either but my tastes have evolved much since those days.

I tilted the snifter further back to my lips ready to enjoy this beer that has been the buzz of the BA forums for months. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. It was like a mix of a brown lager and cherry wine. I took all the restraint I had to drink it moderately. I knew it was a strong beer I believe around 10% alcohol. I could feel the wine taste leaving the undersides of my tongue dry begging for another sip. The after taste reminded me of the slight oak taste often described of many aged wines.

I also sampled a few other Deschutes creations while at Pracna, Obsidian, Jubelale. I must say this is definitely the most original beer I ever tasted, and the most standout I tasted that night. I will be back next week to sample it yet again and The Abyss they are tapping Thursday (12/16/10).

12-13-2010 20:39:02 | More by Hempdigler
jdklks

Nevada

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a dark orange/amber color with a small white head that dissipates quickly but leaves a ring of little bubbles around the edges of the surface. What a fantastic smell! It only gets marked down because it isn't as strong as I would like it to be. Lots of sweet fruitiness, including cherries, apricot, strawberry, and figs. Also a hint of vanilla and oak.

Wow. What an amazingly complex beer. Super tart up front with a lot of fruit sweetness through the middle, followed by some caramel and some oaky vanilla in the finish/aftertaste. Almost exactly what you'd expect from the smell, only better, because, well, it's the taste. Some alcohol burn in the finish and aftertaste, and perhaps a little yeasty, but overall, a fantastic brew.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and could be a little better carbonated, but no real complaints. Nothing wrong with the drinkability aside from the ABV.

Deschutes' reserve series continues to kick so much ass.

04-17-2010 03:19:45 | More by jdklks
Gobzilla

O08 vintage bottle

A: poured a murky crimson red in color with brownish highlights and a thin head that left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: definitely a lot going on but garden floral notes pop out first to me with a variety of fruits such as apples, citrus lemons, cramberries, and dark cherries. I was able to sniff out brett funk, acidic vinegary qualities but with hints of spice and oakiness.

T: very interesting combinations of flavors with cranberry cherry tart dry fruitiness, slight vanilla oakiness, mild bitter dry vinous kick, hints of acidic citrus, vinegar tones, and very well hidden booze character with a touch of earthy bretty spice accents.

M: the brew was medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a sweet, slight spice, oaky, acidic, fruity,mild boozy and tart finish.

O: very tasty and intresting beer that was very elusive for me but very happy to finally try. I definitely would love to try the 2010 version.

08-12-2012 15:17:38 | More by Gobzilla
DonDirkA

Arizona

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Best After 8/20/13. Pours a hazy reddish amber with a red tinged bubbly head that dissipates quickly. Nose is tart cherries, pinot noir, woody, slight vanilla, French oak (you can actually smell the difference between French and American oak), black plums, dark fruit and some spice notes. Taste is cherries, grapes, green apples, oak, plums, red wine, booze and a bit of some kind of spice, maybe cinnamon or clove. Something with a kick. This was the first sour ale I ever tried (the 2010 vintage) and it blew my mind. Its just as good as I remember. I'm psyched about the two I have put away til after 8/30/13. Its a long wait but it'll be worth it. I can definitely taste the parts of this that were in that Collage I had last night. Deschutes rules.

10-24-2012 08:39:29 | More by DonDirkA
abfraser

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

On tap at CBS in SF. Picked up a few bottles too, so may edit this as I get into those over time.

A: A nice deep mahogany, not much of a head

S: Sweet tart cherries. Pleasant sourness

T: Awesome. A wonderful fruity flemish sour. Prominent tart fruit. Refreshing

M: Great acidity. This one goes down great.

D: Just about as drinkable as they come. I really can't believe this thing is 11% abv.

Truly an awesome beer. I'd put it up against the best Belgians out there.

09-26-2008 04:24:55 | More by abfraser
TheodorHerzl

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A: Dissident pours a mahogany brown color with tons of tiny carbonation bubbles, and a small thin head.
S: Cherries and blackberries and other orchard fruit with plenty of wild scents coming from the brett, but not quite "horsebarn" in smell
T: Tart cherries and blackberries come out very strong with a certain grape quality lingering in the background. I get more apples in the flavor profile as the beer warms a bit. This is delicious.
M: Good carbonation, medium bodied with the alcohol very well hidden
D: Awesome, and I hope to get more of this beer to be able to try and experiment with food pairings on this one.

10-22-2008 16:29:39 | More by TheodorHerzl
charlesw

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

So... It's not surprising, to me, that this took gold at gabf but the brute took silver. But, hey, that's me. First off... Thanks to mikesgroove for the opportunity to try this one! Mike... You rock!

Anywho...

This comes across as... As an approachable sour ale. As a great place to start drinking sour ales. As in, I see why this got the gold - it's because anyone can see what there is to enjoy in it. The Brute, if I can compare again, is something that you cannot approach until you've gained an appreciation for the sour style.

So, does approachable equal good? Well, it has the characteristics of a sour ale and yet remains well balanced and easily drinkable - even on this a wicked bitterly cold night. So, yeah. I'd have to say that it does equal good.

12-03-2008 03:52:08 | More by charlesw