The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,140 | Reviews: 456
3.81/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Got a bottle at Tacoma Boys. Says 2012 on the label. Cool packaging with the Makers Mark style wax covering, but was kind of a pain in the ass to open. Aromas of vinegar. Very sharp and sour fragrance. Amber orange in color with a tan head that doesn't sustain very long, but leaves nice lace on top. Can tell it's highly carbonated as it look and sounds explosive. Wow. This is a bomb to the palate. Heavy alcohol notes. Very tart and light sourness. The alcohol has an immediate warming effect. Fruity, sour apple and cherry flavors. Alot of red wine in the mix as well. I don't care for the aftertaste. It's very metallic and just off somehow. Too bad. Maybe not as carbonated as it looks at first but I think it lost alot of it sitting in the glass. Very interesting beer and I love the primary flavor, just don't like the finish.

3.81/5  rDev -9.5%

A- Pours an amber-red color with a thin ring of foam around the glass.

S- The initial smell is EXTREMELY funky. Wet barnyard animals kinda funky. Beyond that, earthy tones of brett and notes of sour cherries are noted. It takes a lot to get past the inital stankyness though.

T- After a couple sips, I was able to ignore the ridiculous funk in the nose and really delve into the taste. Sour and funky notes balance a slight sweetness. Brett and sour cherriy notes balance the flavors of black cherries and caramel.

M- Crisp and tart with a lingering sour flavor.

D- This one needs to be sipped. The initial aroma is quite foul, but once you get beyond that, the beer is pretty enjoyable.

3.81/5  rDev -9.5%

I hardly even know where to start with this. I'm not very familiar with the style (I've only had one other Flanders style), so I'm going to be winging it here.

I'm looking at it right now in a pint glass, and it's a pretty looking beer. Clear, dark amber with little head and little lacing, both of which fade quickly. That's the end of similarities with the beers I usually drink.

It smells sour and citrus, and both of these themes continue strongly into the taste. I can barely detect any hops (if at all), but I can barely detect any malt, either.

It feels fine in the mouth, thin and light, leaving the slightly dry feeling I associate with grapefruit.

Overall, I was surprised to enjoy this beer. I had to turn my beer-head off and just enjoy it as a beverage, but I did like it.

I can't tell you if this is any good for the style, but even though I'm kind of a hop head, I found it tasty enough to be interested in trying more of the style. That alone is probably a pretty good review of the beer.

---
2014-02-23
I didn't even remember tasting this previously, but I certainly did go and try more similar styles, and sours are now up there in the categories of beer that I like. I'm still primarily a hophead, though.

I've had a 2010 and 2012 Dissident sitting around for a while, and finally decided to crack them with my wife today. 2010 "Best After" 11-01-11, 2012 "Best After" is 08-20-13. Both pour at fridge temp, they sat around for 20 minutes or so while I wrangled children, so I'd guess they're near 50 F now.

2010 pours a lighter reddish-brown, cloudy, little head, lots of carbonation. 2012 is darker, maybe slightly more carbonated, less cloudy.

2010 smells fruity and sour, very sweet-tarty and makes me think of a Flanders Red. 2012 has more beery aroma, more yeast, more muted.

2010 tastes sour and bitter, is this hopped like hell? Aftertaste is overpoweringly bitter (for the style), it's slow and drawn out. Up front, it's bright and fruity and sour. 2012 is fruitier, less sour, less bitter, and more muted all around. The lower bitterness on 2012 is appealing, makes it a bit easier to drink.

Mouthfeel on 2010 is dry, very dry, slightly gritty. 2012 is smoother, silkier.

Overall, still good, I might give it slightly better scores in some areas and slightly worse in others. I think I like the 2012 better, but maybe letting the 2010 settle on the palate a little more will reduce the impression of bitterness.

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

A- Served in a snifter, slight sticky lacing, nice deep red/brown color. Head dissipated quickly.

S- Fruit and Sourness, little bit of funkiness

T- Sweet and nice sour finish, not to acidic like some of the other sour beers brewed in the U.S.

M- Great smooth carbonation

D-Working as I taste this but I would love to drink it all night long!!

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

2008 bottle. Pours a clear dark cherry red with a thick head. Nose is fairly sharp, sour, citric. Pretty balanced and enjoyable, and bright. Mouth is soft, flavor profile opens with a fair amount of wine barrel and sour cherries. Sweet, sour, much darker than the nose, not as bright or citric. Acidity on the back end. Really wet and wine barrel-heavy, a quality that I don't really dig in sours. Reminds me of some 2009-2010 era McKenzie stuff. Still, this is a bit more refined, interesting, and has some nice aromatic qualities. Pretty nice.

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Traded like heck to stock up on a couple of these bottles well after the release. Made for a higher level of anticipation.

Second opportunity to taste this. This time around had half a bottle to form an impression.

Unibroue tulip. Brown/red color with a head that appears a bit gray. Musty aroma.

Noticed cherry and raison sweetness flavor and aroma halfway through. Strange, overwhelmingly flavorful early finish - perhaps a bit too ripe. Hard to describe. Sweet and dry. I suspect and hope this one will benefit from aging.

Tartness and sweetness towards the very impacts drinkability to the minus.

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

pours a clear brown with a red tint, small tan head that dissipates quickly, above average carbonation, good lacing.

smell is sour, fruit, malt, alcohol, some woodiness to it.

taste is tart, raspberry, sour malt, oak, ends dry and bitter, leaves the mouth tart.

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

Really a beautiful appearing beer, with all sorts of browns and reds in there along with an off-white head.

Smelled great too, with tartness, funk from the wild yeast, some earthy tones, and different berries (including cherries) prevalent.

The taste was good, but after having a couple of Russian River sours (which were also brewed with Brett), I think this could have been better. Sour start is not as cleanly tart as I would have liked, and it didn't meld fantastically with the cherries that came next. However, overall it did taste quite good, with the earth and booze going well together.

Had an average palate feel. Will re-rate if get a chance to taste an aged bottle.

3.77/5  rDev -10.5%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2010 bottle. 3 days before the "Best after" date. Damn!

Appearance - Very clear red body, which is surprising. Vigorous head on the pour, but the retention is minimal and there's nary a hint of bubbles once it's gone.

Smell - Cherries, oak, and some sour notes. Red wine rounds out most of the flavors. The flavors blend nicely as none are notably stronger than the others. I do think it has a certain intensity that is off-putting, though I can't place it. It might be alcohol, but it's tough.

Taste - As expected from the smell, with a significant dose of oak. Not very sour, really. In fact, it's hardly sour. A lot of wine flavors, cherries, and again an intense flavor that might be alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Drier than most Oud Bruins, but it's not puckeringly dry. Not a lot of carbonation, but it isn't missed. I don't feel the alcohol, although that flavor still eludes me!

Overall - Not as good as I was hoping. Still a good Oud Bruin, but not anywhere near as exciting as some of its counterparts.

Review from notes on 12/10/10. On tap at Pracna

A: Reddish brown with a very small white head. No lacing.

S: A bit sour with tart cherries and a bit of funkiness to it.

T: Sour with more tart cherries and sour green apple. A touch of carmel maltiness. The finish has an olive juice like taste, very odd, but surprising good.

M: Medium to lighter body, moderate carbonation. Very slick feeling.

D: More of a sipper and you definitely gotta be in the mood for this one. A 10 ounce pour was enough for me.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2012 Reserve. Got in trade. Highly anticipated. Love Old Browns. Big fan of Deschutes over the years.
Not a knockout. Also...though slight...the funkiness is distracting...seems more an off taste than a complement. And there was a bit of a burn in drinking I associated with ABV. And...why ramp up a beer I would more expect a more session oriented beer?
Also, may be I should have anticipated smarter...am not a wine barrel beer guy. Find them often thinned and astringent and ( as expected) winey. Obviously this is "as described" a beer aged in pinot barrels.
Probably works for most...just not in my wheel house.

3.76/5  rDev -10.7%

22oz bottle picked up from the brewery. 2012 vintage. Consumed 10/5, reviewed from notes.

A: Fizzy lifting drink. Decently hard pour yields a quickly fading head. Dark cider colored copper.

N: Potent - don't even have to put my nose to the glass to smell. Very vinous with the red wine grapes. Plenty of oak and tannins. Pleasant funk from the vinegar/acetone. This smells much more like an Oud Bruin than the 2010. Lots of cherries and some leather.

T:Taste falls short of the nose, and when it's cold, it's really non-descript, unlike any other beer I've had. Cherry cola. Sourness level is about medium. As this warm, it gets better. Oak, cranberry, and blueberry. Sherry starts to shine, as does the French Oak.

M: On the heavier side for an oud bruin, but still in range. No alcohol burn.

O: I feel like the 2008 is a vintage not to be matched ever again. Hoping the yeast eats some of the sugars and gives this more depth. And a big warning about drinking this less than cool.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

This is currently on draft at my place of employment. When the keg was first tapped I didn't really dig it that much. We sat on the keg and tapped it about two months later. I liked it better on the second tapping.

The appearance for this one is a nice light amber-red color that has an amazing clarity to it. It can be poured with a crisp white head, but it doesn't really stick around for long. They must have filtered this because it has an amazing look to it.

The smell is strong with cherries, but even more with vinegar and balsamic. It has a strong, tart, and sour smell that is pretty pronounced.

Noting this as a Flanders Oud Bruin is only somewhat accurate. It has some balsamic vinegar notes as well as a nice musty cherry taste as well. It is somewhat dry, but has an unique medicinal flavor that I associate with certain types of Brett. Pretty interesting tastes and this is where I start getting curious about the keg vs bottle differences.

It is a nice sipper, something that goes down pretty easily. Its just the right amount of sour and challenges the palate. I was hoping for something mind blowing and was a bit let down. I would trade this for last years Black Butte XXII.

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Bottle sampled on 09/26/08 at Night of the Funk. Pours a light brown with no head. Aroma of tomato sauce and light fruits and possibly something else that I couldn't identify...Flavor of a slight sour tinge, alcohol, Belgian yeast, slight bitter hops, and oak barrel. Hmm, this beer doesn't quite live up to its expectation but it certainly wasn't bad. Good sour.
7/4/8/4/14 (3.7/5)

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle at Smoke & Barrel for the DC bottle share. Bottle brought by ? From notes. Vintage 2012 I assume.

Good sample pour brings a falling tan soapy looking head, collapsing on to a faint orange bronze body, seems quite light for a bruin but otherwise fine.

Nose has a mild sense of acid with a nice good malt sweetness. Some nice citrus orange sensing fruit peeks out a bit mixing with a sense of sour orange. Very unique and different, quite pleasant actually.

Palate though just seems odd. A good moderate sense of tartness and bringing the fruit orange on the nose, but a very fizzy strange almost medicinal finish. Finish doesn't really compliment much of the light sweet malt and good balanced acid on the palate. Mouthfeel seems perfectly acceptable but a bit with higher than expected carbonation feel, but luckily doesn't detract from the palate.

There's some interesting things going on here, but first sip was a bit of a strange shock and quite odd. It does have some good qualities to it and a future visit might be in the cards, but by no means my favorite bruin at all. Strange aftertaste.

3.72/5  rDev -11.6%

A: A grainy, yet creamy red and purple pour. Has a slight "Tsu-Xiao Province" look, for anyone who's visited the far east. The pour was memorable for many reasons. I cannot get into this.

S: My dude Dave came by as I was pouring and said "that damn beer smell like my FEET, bro", and I agree. Feet smell.

T: Smoky yet overall a taste of vinegar and slight taste of wine. There was also a very slight aftertaste that was unlike anything before. The only thing I can compare it to is it was 80% raspberry and 15% baseball glove and 5% man.

M: The Mouthfeel on this is as big and groovy as I've ever swished. Swish and you'll be a believer. Dave said "this feel like mustard", but that one I did NOT agree with.

O: I've never had a beer like this and I don't know if I ever will again. I only had enough money for one bottle, and I may let that stand as the greatest beer where I've only had money for 1 bottle.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2012 vintage. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark, clear copper-like color with a half finger of foamy, light tan head which fizzles out pretty quickly to a ring. So-so retention and no lacing.

S: Bright cherries meld nicely with lactic sourness, fruity Jolly Ranchers, a little acetic acid, and mild toasted oak.

T: Oak and chocolate, a little vanilla, and cherry Jolly Rancher way underneath, with a short/abrupt finish. Vague tartness and off dry and tannic on the finish. Kind of a mess: it's a shame that the fruit is hidden under all the barrel flavor.

M: Medium body, a little tannic/drying, with light effervescent carbonation. No alcohol is evident.

O: Not bad, but nothing to recommend this.

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

22oz bottle. Pours a clear red amber with a thin creamy off white head that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is acidic and tart, slightly sweet, cherries.

The flavor is acidic and sweet cherries with a bitter, musty, slightly medicinal aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, it's a solid fruity sour. I'd prefer a little more sour or brett and less of the weird aftertaste.

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

Thanks to kk73 for this one.

2010 vintage split and poured into tulip.

A- Pours a ruby red with a very small head. Completely transparent and no lacing left behind.

S- Some nice tartness and a slightly vinous. I also pick up some oak and a little bit of cherry.

T- Some nice vinous notes. Good amounts of oak and a small alcohol presence. Tart cherries round this one out.

M- Medium to lighter bodied with a dry finish. A bit tart but nothing major. Decent carbonation.

D- I don't really know what I was expecting of this but this wasn't it. The abv is fairly well hidden and has a nice balance. I am going to lay one down and see how it fairs.

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

2012 reserve. Best after 8/20/13. 11.4%. Brown glass bottle with waxed over cap served into a Guinness goblet in a tasting in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof. Cost was $14.49.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger head, fairly thin, of decent cream, and good retention. Body colour is a semitransparent amber-auburn. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Tart raspberry and cherry, bright fruit esters, amber malts, and excellent fruit esters. An average strength aroma.

T: Restrained tartness and bacteria. Very muted wild yeast. Balanced and enjoyable. Really pleasant. Too restrained. Balanced but a bit underwhelming. I wanted more. Built well.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Excellent carbonation. Great thickness. Good presence on the palate.

Dr: Very drinkable and enjoyable. I'd have this again, but it's not an ideal sour. I've had far better. A tasty sour, but not Deschutes' beer.

High B

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

2008 vintage (1st year offered). Pours a half finger of light brown head over a hazed reddened brown liquid. Smells oak, acetic, lactic, fresh lether, mild smoke, some buttery pediococcus, sharp alcohol with mild fusel character, woody driness, sun-dried cherries.

Tastes lactic and acetic sour balanced by a prominent sweet. The malt carries a cherry, crabapple, and raspberry flavor that is delectible. Oak is much milder in the flavor than the aroma. Bit of a tart circusy finish that leaves the tongue clingy dry and almost makes the teeth sticky dry. Actually, a bit merlot wine-like. Medium body likely helps this beer, as a light body wouldn't be able to hold flvaors on the tongue and a heavier beer would be sticky. Medium carbonation fights the stickiness, while allowing the malt sweet to persist long enough to nearly balance.

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

Acquired this in a trade with Toby (JohnGalt1) a few months back. Thanks for the opportunity! 2008 vintage with a red waxed top. Poured into my Corsedonk tulip glass.

A- A mixture of red and brown hues give off a rust colored effect. Minimal half fingers width of white head forms and dissipate almost instantaneously.

S- Mildly pungent with a slight vinegar aroma. Little hints of acidic cherries, oak and wood are also prevalent.

T- I was expecting strong acidic, vinegar qualities but instead was greeted with something less. Initially there is a taste of sour cherries. As the beer develops in the mouth, vinegar qualities start to kick in, but never fully take on an acidic profile. It just seems to mellow out and give a slight sour twang, if you can even call it that. The beer finishes with a oak, wood flavor.

M- Medium bodied with super smooth qualities.

D- This one would have been more drinkable if it was more pronounced in flavor. The alcohol is virtually undetectable.

Overall, the oak flavor dominated and the sour, acidic profiles did not match the strength the nose led on to believe. The mellow flavors were just too weak and easily masked by the wood, oak flavors.

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

On tap at Pracna on the Main, as part of their Deschutes December event. Served in a Deschutes snifter. I could try this beer only because of the generosity of the manager Meagen (chixdighops) and her boyfriend, and some luck. Thanks guys for letting me have the last drink of the sixtel!

Appearance 4/5
Brilliantly clear, deep rusty red hued with a tiny collar and some lacing.

Aroma 3.5/5
Funky and fruity, typical sour brown but nothing too exciting. Some sweet alcohol too.

Taste 3.5/5
Lightly tart and fruity with an unfitting bitterness/astringency towards the end.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Smooth and light bodied with medium carbonation.

Drinkability 4/5
Good.

Other
I don't get the hype. Hugely underwhelming. I will not part with anything that I can't get off the shelves for this beer.

3.67/5  rDev -12.8%

2010 version.

Had the earlier version when it came out and didnt like it then, this one was mildly better.

Pours brilliant, looks amazing clear champagne cherry red, some brown highlights. beautiful.

Smells great too. Beautiful cherry nose, some earth, funk. Amazing smell, best aspect to the beer.

This beer tastes better as it warms, you get more of the cherry tartness and can taste the brown ale base beer. At first its like a cough syrupy vinegary mess, no real sweetness.

I can see why people like this beer, I didnt like it when it first came out and this version isnt much better.

3.66/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a clear copper color with half a finger of beige head that almost completely disappears with no lacing.

S: Sour and tart cherries dominate with caramel and vanilla along with some vinegary acetic notes.

T: Tart and sour cherries here as well along with some acetic flavors, bitter yeast notes, There are some light caramel flavors before a finish that is tart and with a light alcohol burn. There's a bit of a musty, funky aftertaste.

M: Medium-light body with low carbonation, this beer's tartness is the only thing that saves it from being watery.

O: A solid beer, overall. I'd like a bit more carbonation and balance, but overall is enjoyable.

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery