The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
Reviews: 452 | Hads: 1,157
1.82/5  rDev -56.1%

22oz bottle $8.99. I poured this into a snifter and put on Pearl Jam (because I am corny and the namesake of this beer is a good song). Clear, ruby red which seems odd but then I am no expert on flanders reds or oud bruins. First whiff gave off burnt rubber but quickly moved on to a lightly sour vinegar aroma with cherries with the rubber still darting in from the back and a slight touch of alcohol. Nice sour flavors of cherries, just enough to make my mouth slightly pucker but nothing like Supplication or La Folie sour, much more muted and that rubber makes a brief appearance in the flavor. I actually wanted to like this more but I have had too many good sours this year and I am not sure I could taste any hint of wood and the rubber aromas and flavors were off-putting. This is not hard to drink however and does get better as it warms (like most beers).

update 10/12/08
The second bottle contains no rubber and tastes/smells better. Maybe because I drank some Isabelle just prior?

update 06/06/09
Dirty smell with a little cherry sour funk, tastes ok but then reminds me of chloroseptic, ugh. The smell gets much better as it hits room temp. The sournes is cool but the flavor is just ok

update 10/3/13 - 2012 vintage

fucking awful drainpour. (1,258 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -54.2%

For $10 this has to be one of the worst ales I've ever had, or maybe just not my cup of tea.

Poured with a red color nice whiteish brown head.
The cherry taste is to overpowering and leaves an awful after taste.

Not a very drinkable beer in my opinion. (254 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -49.9%

Rusted brick colored brew with a well lasting white head. Really poor nose. Main complaint is the poor concentration and vibrancy and the aromatic elements that are present are mostly unpleasant, brash and unauthentic. Notes of sweet cherries, vanilla and oak are present in the nose, but mostly covered by the unpleasant aromas. Flavor is initially sweet in the front and mid-palate and then fades into a sour harshness towards the finish. Really poorly balanced and brash. Unauthentic and very hard to drink. Some serious problems with this beer: Sterile filtered and force carbonated, aging a portion in wood for only 3 months (not long enough and age the whole beer.) But the bottom line is the flavor and aroma suck. Blah. (727 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -41.4%

At last, the dissident. Been wanting this guy for a while now. Finally landed two of them. 2010 reserve, best after 11-01-11

A- Pours a still red orange with very little bubbles. No head, very clear. Some bubbles riding up the side of the glass.

S- Smells promising. Vinegar, cherries, apple peels, lemon juice. Uh Oh. Southern Comfort...gross. Smells extremely acidic and cherry like. Slight oak notes.

T- Sonofabitch. This tastes like sour Southern Comfort. Cherry zing bouncing all over in my mouth, very little sour, really sweet, bitter oak tannins. No, no, no, this is all wrong.

M- Thin mouthfeel, dry, low carbonation.

O- Nothing pisses me off more than putting a beer up on a pedestal and having it not live up to your expectations. This is the first time i have not liked a sour beer OR a beer by Deschutes. Tragic. FT: The Dissident ISO: Better sours (867 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2010 edition.

Pours a very clear dark copper color. Small tan head that dissipated fairly quickly with adequate lacing.

Aromas of apple cider, strong, bright cherry with a few darker fruits mixed in. Nothing too revolutionary.

The tastes begin fruity, but also somewhat medicinal. It's juicy and funky with more apple skin and minimal cherry flavors.

The mouthfeel is full with minimal carbonation, by the end of the glass pretty much flat. There is a soapy quality here I am not a fan of, not sure if this year's version or just this bottle are out of wack. Finish is moderately dry/crisp but at the same time quite full tasting. I guess that's what you should expect from a 10% Flanders style.

I was quite disappointed with this amongst the star sour beers I have had recently and just the good beers I have had from Deschutes. Overall this is not a winner for me especially with so many rock stars in this style/category these days. Apparently there have been some quality and varying bottle issues with this batch so I will refrain from totally discounting this beer in the future. (1,091 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2010 release

A: Very little head poured into a tulip. Very clear. Color has picked up some orange; no longer the bright red color it was on release.

S: Strong, bright cherry aroma. A little plum.

T: Very, very different from previous bottles of this vintage that I've opened. Fruity, but also somewhat medicinal. I have memories of really pleasant brett notes that are mostly missing here.

M: Very low carbonation, by the end of the glass pretty much flat. Moderately dry. Good linger.

O: I'm not sure what's going on here. 6 months ago, on release, it was drinking really nicely. Now it's practically flat and sweeter and less bretty. I bought one bottle of this vintage separately from the others, a couple weeks after the release. I wonder if perhaps this is that bottle and it was mishandled. (801 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured from a 2010 Bottle, into a Tulip.

It poured a hazy golden dark orange color, with little to no head. Looked like a darker flanders oude bruin. It smelled like it was going to taste extremely sour. You could smell the bacteria that was used to sour the brew. Once I tasted it, I was completely dissappointed. It tasted bitter and undrinkable. (did I have an infected bottle? I've opened 3 and they've all tasted the same) Mouthfeel was mediocre, effervescent but not bubbly enough. Overall, I didn't enjoy this brew at all. (530 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -32%

I have a lot of mixed emotions about this beer. Its smells wonderfully of cherry, and the nose on it is very complex. Whispers of alcohol permeate from the snifter I am using. The faint foamy head dissipates quickly. My first drink into this beer tells me this moment is going to be quite awkward. My palate has cherry, oak, sweet caramel and a flush of acidity almost like a deep red wine such as a shiraz. It seems to be lacking of carbonation and has almost medicinal qualities. While I am not found of this beer I can appreciate the creativity and artistry it takes to develop a product such as this. (604 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I didn't see this as the style it's described as. More pinot flavor than anything, not much acidity or tartness. I'll revisit this again after the best after date. (164 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Presentation: 22 oz bomber, capped and waxed. Mine was apparently dipped twice, and was a complete pain in the ass to open. Label is great and distinctive. Date code is not immediately obvious.

Appearance: Pours reddish brown, thin head with just a bit of lacing around the edges.

Smell: Subtle, but pleasant. A bit of brett, some tart cherry aroma.

Taste: Mouthfeel is pretty thin - flavor is the same cherrys and a bit of tartness. A little over carbonated, finishes very tart.

Overall impression: Hmm .. I like sour beers, but something about this doesn't sit too well. The tartness is puckering in the finish, but there isn't enouhg body or flavor to back it up. It's still interesting, but definitely not one of my favorite Flanders' (742 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%

Thanks to BigBlacke for supplying this one at a tasting

A-perfect honey amber colored with and off white colored head. its quite a joy to look at!

S-smells like caramel and booze and some cherry

T-initial impression is that this a very dry beer. it basically just tastes like a champagne and some caramel flavors. the after-taste is of cherries and some caramel. the ending is a bit tart but not too much. I have to admit that this is somewhat of a complex beer, and some people might find this wonderful, but it just doesn't impress me.

M-it has a hot medium carbonation with a very dry finish

D-its not a bad drinker but I just had a small glass of this and I'm not sure I could've finished an entire bottle (714 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

Draught at the PDX pub, 10 oz in a large snifter, The Dissident is a clear, rusty amber with a small, bone colored, large bubbled collar that leaves scattered lace.

Smell is mostly cherry juice, not the kiddie kind, more natural food store, but still dominantly cherry, with alcohol and a bit of vinegary acetic acid. As it warms from the pretty much ice cold serving temp, it gains a metallic sharpness.

Taste is also very heavy on the cherries and booze, with lots of residual sugar and very little sourness. Chalky, and with a fair amount of fusels for a 9% fruit beer. Not overly sweet though, the dryness of the alcohol really cuts it on the finish. I just really wanted more tartness, and cleaner alcohol wouldn't have hurt either. This is just your average Oud Bruin with cherries, on the stronger, fruity end of the spectrum, which I don't care for as much. I just wish there was more funk - less Redbach and more Grand Cru please!
Before I even tried this though, I assumed the crow on the label was an obvious nod to the Duchesse and assumed it would be more in that vain, so I can't say I'm too surprised!

Mouthfeel is slick, but with a pretty lush, soft carbonation that cuts the viscosity, which is thick.

Drinkability is ok, but it was really a let down for me. I was hoping for a local version of Rodenbach Grand Cru, but this one is no where near as tart, complex or attenuated, and much fruitier. Now that I'm thinking of it, I'm not sure how much oak I got out of it either. Which is weird because oak aging is traditionally only used for Flanders Reds, which I vastly prefer to Oud Bruins, which this is sort of trying to be. Bottom line is it's really not my taste...also, it shouldn't have been served ice cold, but I didn't have time to sit there for an hr to wait for it to warm up.
Most telling is the blurb on the menu that cites "arguing for more time in the cellar..." Indeed! Less cherry juice and more funk and it would be better, and I'm hoping the bottles I bought will develop that after some serious long term storage. I just hope it doesn't turn to vinegar, or have all that sugar ferment into bottle bombs!
I had a bottle with a steak (Flanders style beers are my favorite pairing with steak), and it fared rather well, but still needed more acidity to match the fat. (2,310 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

I drank this from a 22 oz bottle into a rochefort glass.

The beer is a watery amber, brown with red highlights. The head is light brown rises about a finger but fades quickly leaving light carbonation on the rim of the glass. The lacing is very weak.

The aroma is medium in strength, represting some nice sour notes. There are light blackberries, vinegar and oak. Vinegar dominates the most.

The taste is much to light for my liking. There are very small vinegar and sour notes, but mostly I taste tea. There is an unpleasant funky sour after taste.

The beer is heavy and full and sticks to your mouth for several seconds.

This is not very drinkable. I could probably drink a bottle if I split it with someone but this would be the last time I'd drink this. I would not search this out or recommend getting it unless your a big time sour fan and just want to try it. (874 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Head forms a stark white foam. Simmers down to a pleasant, even surface across the top of the beer. No lacing. A medium bodied amber hue, with a hint of golden-orange at the very bottom of the glass. Highly carbonated.

Smell: Strong smell of yeast and bright fruits (yea, cherries). A bit acidic/chemical? I assume this is the nose on the sour component of the beer but it does bother me a bit. Remind's me of Lompoc's Memorial Braggot.

Taste: Much better than I thought it would be from my investigation thus far. A definite sweet note, followed by a tang of sour. I was expecting a ball-breaker here but this beer is much less aggressive than it plays at. The cherries are evident, but not in such a way as to be obtrusive and the sourness makes itself known without ruining the experience.

Mouthfeel: Good medium body though it does seem a bit syrupy. Not so much to ruin beer but its noticeable.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Its a bit sweet to warrant large volumes but at 10.5% that's certainly not the goal of this beer.

The way I see it there are two possibilities. Either the name doesn't fit the beer (assuming this is what the brewer was going for) or the beer didn't quiet fit the brewer's vision. I know it doesn't sound like it, but I am enjoying this beer. Not the most notable release from Deschuttes but certainly not the worst. A good, solid brew. (1,382 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

A Flemish brown with an all around sour flavor - in the nose, the taste, and the finish it's sour. Wild cherries obviously come to mind.
As far as sours go, this probably is one of the easiest to stomach for the masses. All and all, a very enjoyable beer with cheese or berries. (278 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

Date: 04/26/2011
Type: 22oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glass: Portsmouth Tulip

Pours a light brown mahoghany in color w/ slight ruby red highlights w/ a 1 finger bubbly white head, that left light lacing. Aromas of vinegar, oak, cherries, and fresh cut hay. The taste was very odd! Started w/ a big strange funkiness(bandaids/oak/leather), and finishes w/ a light cherry mustiness. Where is the sour? I really had a hard time pinpointing the exact flavors in this one as it was a strange beast. Medium bodied. Tough to get thru this bomber alone, a few ounces would be good for me.

Overall, one of the most unique tasting brews I have had in awhile! Unique and different, but not really my thing. Would have liked some sour to go with my funk, but that never happened. Not a big fan and will not be seeking any more of this brew out. (830 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

yet another goodie that i have decided to open with my new to the brew scene buddy craftsman21. so here it goes.

pours a thin light brown into my glass a small light tan head appears and then fades.

smell is tangy, sweet. cherries/ grapes.

taste is interesting. not great. but good. slight sour. nothing to over the top. paul says it has a few wine-esk qualities to it. i can see it. not to sure if im crazy about this. but i am also interested in seeing what happens to the bottle that is in my cellar.

mouth is very tangy. moderate carbonation. not over powering but it makes a nice appearance.

not at the top of my list but i would try it again. nice hustle deschutes (678 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

Huge thanks to wisconsinality for busting this bad boy out. 2010 vintage. Bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Dark red hue. Small pinkish beige head. Tiny bit of lace no cap.

S: Juicy black cherries mixed with a hint of vanilla. Red rope licorice and hint of barrel wood. Just a hint of sour. Borderline medicinal.

T: The brown ale really comes through in the flavor. No where near as sour as i had hoped. Light sour cherry flavor. Brown sugar, vanilla and a touch of barrel. Again it reaches that medicinal cough syrup phase that I'm not thrilled with.

M: Full to medium creamy body. Light carbonation.

D: Well I know Deschutes has a best after date so I guess I can't be too surprised. Luckily I have a bottle in the cellar. I will adjust my score once I sample that one in a year. (784 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

Big thanks to boatshoes for pullin this one in for me. Ive been wanting to try The Dissident for quite some time.

This is the 2010 Reserve. Best after 11/01/11, oops.

A- What a pretty colored beer. The semi-clear ale is the same color as the ink and wax Deschutes uses in the packaging for this beer. I must admit this is one of my favorite labels too. A 1 finger head is very fleeting and is responsible for only a few patches of lace that side back down the glass.

S- A very cherry nose. Sweeter black cherries greet you first with an almost cough syrup smell. There is a very acidic red wine and vinegar smell that comprises most of the body of the bouquet. A sharp funkiness of old wood runs along the deeper parts.

There is a very familiar smell that took me a moment to pinpoint. Its cranberry. Cranberry tartness is quite strong in the aroma.

T- Quite sour and very acidic. As far as I know a strong lactic/milky/vinegary sourness is the major characteristic this style is supposed to have, and in that respect this beer is right on point. Lots of vinegar, cherry, plum skin, cranberry. The finish has a pugnacious chemically taste. Its strange, like fusel alcohol mixed with cranberry and cherry extract. Perhaps drinking this one aged could help erase that bizarre finish.

M- Very dry with a mild carbonation.

D- Now I really wish I had another to age, or that I saw the best after date before I opened it. I think it may calm down a little and that bad finishing taste would fall out.

Ill be seeking this again for future experimentation. (1,562 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

Looks and smells the part but boozy/bitter city with slight tart and slight cherry. Nothing to write home over. 2014 vintage but didn't wait until "enjoy after date." compared to befuddlement this is literally bland and more like a red ale. Not a sour... (255 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

I went through hell to get this, as well as much communication w/ fellow beer bloggers and tweeters.... here I am in/near PDX and most of it went east... sucks... I got it at a bottle shop where the dude drove to Bend to buy the cases.... is it worth it? Let's see... I just got back from a bad ass tour and tasting at Cascade Brewings Barrel house... the worlds finest sours...

- Heavy pour into a short pint. Didn't seem to want to carbonate right away.... clear brown ale... fizzy quick white head... leaves a nice thin blanket of white... small ring....

- Funky brown sugar sweet and lightly tart scent... slight earth and dirty grass... hay, touch of bitter tart and junk... oak... mud... all and all its a funky oaked brew... let's see if the yeast and brett worked any magic...

- Syrupy sweet brown... rather woody and a touch sharp to the palate... some funk and woody character... certainly heavy, and contains a rather thick malt bill... tough to make such a strong sour.

- Sticky, sweet, syrupy... slightly hot but well blended enough.... heart burn...

- Yes, I am aging it rather fresh, but it took Deschutes some time to finally release this too... I am thinking it just wasn't ready enough then.... and it's still not ready now. For those that were blessed enough to have other vintages.. I am guessing this one will fall short.... The hype machine worked its magic... and I will go back to Cascade and have a better sour again. (1,448 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft at Beer Revolution. 2010 batch. Pours a reddish amber with a ring of white head around the outside of the glass. Leaves some small spots of lacing when swirled. The aroma is very oaky with strong cherries. A decent amount of vinegar comes through as well as a little bit of red wine, a little bit of mineralness and just a hint of alcohol. I don't really get any of the funk usually associated with brett. The initial taste is sweet with some lactic acid which goes into strong oak and cherries, as well as some tannic, red wine. The finish is very acetic. Not much alcohol in the taste. Light bodied. Medium-low carbonation. Pretty astringent. Overall, I was a little disappointed in this beer. It is really dominated by oak and vinegar. (747 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a mid to dark copper, i want to say peach as well. Light head, heavy fizzing upon pouring. Smells of sweet citrus. You can slightly smell the sour, but not enough to give it away. This is definitely a sour. This hits the pallet with an intense grapefruit taste. Subtle malty notes hiding in the back to bring you down. It leaves a lemonade sweet flavor on my lips after each sip. This is one of the first sours I've really enjoyed. I can see this one getting good with age as well. Really different from the douches, but I get that's flemmish. Definitely a good beer for those who want to step up a level with sours. (622 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Amber colored beer, a little bit too clear. Bit of brown head that didn't stay around very long. Slight bit of lace left on the sides.

S - Pretty vinous, maybe a little too much as there's a lot of vinegar in there. Some oak, little bit of tartness and funk along with some fruit.

T - Slight tartness with some sweeter berries. Wood and vinegar. It's a little bit sour, with a little bit of funk. Not bad, but there's a slight bit of mineral or something on the end of this that I found a little unpleasant. Maybe the bottle has turned.

M - Full bodied, very full bodied. Soft carbonation.

O - Not a great beer, merely okay. Had some moderately decent tastes but there was some unpleasantness on the end I didn't care for. Not super easy to drink either. (763 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

Darn. I paid a lot for this ($10) and was really hoping for something really special. From the 22 oz bottle this poured a cloudy dark orange with a small off-white head and very little lacing. Nose was of sour cherry and vanilla. Mouthfeel medium and somewhat fizzy from what I assume is the carbonation. Flavor is of sour fruit and the finish is a bit acrid. Overall it was interesting, but I had a little trouble getting it all down. For me a bit of a disappointmentt. Maybe aged it would get better, but this is the only bottle I had and at this price probably the last. (573 characters)

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery