The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

The DissidentThe Dissident

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012

(Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
1.12/5  rDev -73.3%

1.75/5  rDev -58.3%

22oz bottle $8.99. I poured this into a snifter and put on Pearl Jam (because I am corny and the namesake of this beer is a good song). Clear, ruby red which seems odd but then I am no expert on flanders reds or oud bruins. First whiff gave off burnt rubber but quickly moved on to a lightly sour vinegar aroma with cherries with the rubber still darting in from the back and a slight touch of alcohol. Nice sour flavors of cherries, just enough to make my mouth slightly pucker but nothing like Supplication or La Folie sour, much more muted and that rubber makes a brief appearance in the flavor. I actually wanted to like this more but I have had too many good sours this year and I am not sure I could taste any hint of wood and the rubber aromas and flavors were off-putting. This is not hard to drink however and does get better as it warms (like most beers).

update 10/12/08
The second bottle contains no rubber and tastes/smells better. Maybe because I drank some Isabelle just prior?

update 06/06/09
Dirty smell with a little cherry sour funk, tastes ok but then reminds me of chloroseptic, ugh. The smell gets much better as it hits room temp. The sournes is cool but the flavor is just ok

update 10/3/13 - 2012 vintage

fucking awful drainpour.

1.75/5  rDev -58.3%

For $10 this has to be one of the worst ales I've ever had, or maybe just not my cup of tea.

Poured with a red color nice whiteish brown head.
The cherry taste is to overpowering and leaves an awful after taste.

Not a very drinkable beer in my opinion.

2.08/5  rDev -50.5%

Rusted brick colored brew with a well lasting white head. Really poor nose. Main complaint is the poor concentration and vibrancy and the aromatic elements that are present are mostly unpleasant, brash and unauthentic. Notes of sweet cherries, vanilla and oak are present in the nose, but mostly covered by the unpleasant aromas. Flavor is initially sweet in the front and mid-palate and then fades into a sour harshness towards the finish. Really poorly balanced and brash. Unauthentic and very hard to drink. Some serious problems with this beer: Sterile filtered and force carbonated, aging a portion in wood for only 3 months (not long enough and age the whole beer.) But the bottom line is the flavor and aroma suck. Blah.

2.25/5  rDev -46.4%

2.33/5  rDev -44.5%

At last, the dissident. Been wanting this guy for a while now. Finally landed two of them. 2010 reserve, best after 11-01-11

A- Pours a still red orange with very little bubbles. No head, very clear. Some bubbles riding up the side of the glass.

S- Smells promising. Vinegar, cherries, apple peels, lemon juice. Uh Oh. Southern Comfort...gross. Smells extremely acidic and cherry like. Slight oak notes.

T- Sonofabitch. This tastes like sour Southern Comfort. Cherry zing bouncing all over in my mouth, very little sour, really sweet, bitter oak tannins. No, no, no, this is all wrong.

M- Thin mouthfeel, dry, low carbonation.

O- Nothing pisses me off more than putting a beer up on a pedestal and having it not live up to your expectations. This is the first time i have not liked a sour beer OR a beer by Deschutes. Tragic. FT: The Dissident ISO: Better sours

2.5/5  rDev -40.5%

2.5/5  rDev -40.5%

2.65/5  rDev -36.9%

Poured from a 2010 Bottle, into a Tulip.

It poured a hazy golden dark orange color, with little to no head. Looked like a darker flanders oude bruin. It smelled like it was going to taste extremely sour. You could smell the bacteria that was used to sour the brew. Once I tasted it, I was completely dissappointed. It tasted bitter and undrinkable. (did I have an infected bottle? I've opened 3 and they've all tasted the same) Mouthfeel was mediocre, effervescent but not bubbly enough. Overall, I didn't enjoy this brew at all.

2.65/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2010 edition.

Pours a very clear dark copper color. Small tan head that dissipated fairly quickly with adequate lacing.

Aromas of apple cider, strong, bright cherry with a few darker fruits mixed in. Nothing too revolutionary.

The tastes begin fruity, but also somewhat medicinal. It's juicy and funky with more apple skin and minimal cherry flavors.

The mouthfeel is full with minimal carbonation, by the end of the glass pretty much flat. There is a soapy quality here I am not a fan of, not sure if this year's version or just this bottle are out of wack. Finish is moderately dry/crisp but at the same time quite full tasting. I guess that's what you should expect from a 10% Flanders style.

I was quite disappointed with this amongst the star sour beers I have had recently and just the good beers I have had from Deschutes. Overall this is not a winner for me especially with so many rock stars in this style/category these days. Apparently there have been some quality and varying bottle issues with this batch so I will refrain from totally discounting this beer in the future.

2.7/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2010 release

A: Very little head poured into a tulip. Very clear. Color has picked up some orange; no longer the bright red color it was on release.

S: Strong, bright cherry aroma. A little plum.

T: Very, very different from previous bottles of this vintage that I've opened. Fruity, but also somewhat medicinal. I have memories of really pleasant brett notes that are mostly missing here.

M: Very low carbonation, by the end of the glass pretty much flat. Moderately dry. Good linger.

O: I'm not sure what's going on here. 6 months ago, on release, it was drinking really nicely. Now it's practically flat and sweeter and less bretty. I bought one bottle of this vintage separately from the others, a couple weeks after the release. I wonder if perhaps this is that bottle and it was mishandled.

2.78/5  rDev -33.8%

I have a lot of mixed emotions about this beer. Its smells wonderfully of cherry, and the nose on it is very complex. Whispers of alcohol permeate from the snifter I am using. The faint foamy head dissipates quickly. My first drink into this beer tells me this moment is going to be quite awkward. My palate has cherry, oak, sweet caramel and a flush of acidity almost like a deep red wine such as a shiraz. It seems to be lacking of carbonation and has almost medicinal qualities. While I am not found of this beer I can appreciate the creativity and artistry it takes to develop a product such as this.

2.93/5  rDev -30.2%

Presentation: 22 oz bomber, capped and waxed. Mine was apparently dipped twice, and was a complete pain in the ass to open. Label is great and distinctive. Date code is not immediately obvious.

Appearance: Pours reddish brown, thin head with just a bit of lacing around the edges.

Smell: Subtle, but pleasant. A bit of brett, some tart cherry aroma.

Taste: Mouthfeel is pretty thin - flavor is the same cherrys and a bit of tartness. A little over carbonated, finishes very tart.

Overall impression: Hmm .. I like sour beers, but something about this doesn't sit too well. The tartness is puckering in the finish, but there isn't enouhg body or flavor to back it up. It's still interesting, but definitely not one of my favorite Flanders'

3.13/5  rDev -25.5%

Thanks to BigBlacke for supplying this one at a tasting

A-perfect honey amber colored with and off white colored head. its quite a joy to look at!

S-smells like caramel and booze and some cherry

T-initial impression is that this a very dry beer. it basically just tastes like a champagne and some caramel flavors. the after-taste is of cherries and some caramel. the ending is a bit tart but not too much. I have to admit that this is somewhat of a complex beer, and some people might find this wonderful, but it just doesn't impress me.

M-it has a hot medium carbonation with a very dry finish

D-its not a bad drinker but I just had a small glass of this and I'm not sure I could've finished an entire bottle

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery