Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

The DissidentThe Dissident

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
Reviews: 455 | Hads: 1,168

2008 Vintage, Review from notes written on 5-1-10

A- Orange-red, with thin, off-white head. Good lace.

S- Sour cherries, sharp-vinegar-y, tart green apple, berries.

T- Vinegar-y, slight tart granny smith, sour cherries, lemon rind, with very dry finish.

M- Medium body, effervescent/tingling carbo.

D- Incredibly quaffable, especially for a 9% brew. Sourness does not compromise drinkability at all.

Note: I've had this beer younger and I think this age (approximately 2 years) is pretty perfect.

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%

My buddy Jeff picked this one up for me while he was on a road trip out in Colorado, so muchas gracias to him. Review is from notes taken on 10/26/2012 and poured from the bottle (2010 vintage).

Appearance: Pour is a nice, ruddy caramel brown with a hint of ruby red to it; starts with a nice one finger, thick and lush head that is slightly off-white; head has good retention and it eventually fades down to a full, complete skim, albeit just a touch uneven; body is murky/cloudy, but shows strong enough carbonation bubbling up near the sides of the glass; plenty of lacing is left behind, but only where it swaths up to my mouth when I tip it to drink and none rests on the rest of the glass where it's been worked down.

Smell: Smell is so nice -- plenty of tart and acidic cherries, but there is also a certain sweetness laying in there with it, perhaps some caramel malt; definite funk, and the tartness is making my mouth water. Can't. Wait.

Taste: Tart cherries lead the way, and there is an acidic and strong bitterness (perhaps a bit lactic?) underneath it; just a touch of the sweetness mentioned in the nose as it's pretty much dominated by tart funkiness; alcohol is entirely masked.

Mouthfeel: Body is fairly light, a touch creamy; obvious pucker factor from the acidity and tartness, but it's not overwhelmingly so, so there's a nice balance to the body.

Overall: A great beer to be sure, but I'm not blown away by it like I was hoping to be. Perhaps is as good as it's supposed to be and I've only grown as an Advocate. I would love to have it again and again. I almost wish I would have drank it fresher to see if there would have been a difference, but I don't feel that it lost too much based upon reviews I've read.

Had this baby on tap at Sac Brew

A - looked amber-like, with a very light head(poured into a 4 oz. taster).

S - Oh boy, this beer had such a sour sour smell, it made my mouth water. Excellent aroma. I could smell sour grapes, almost like a very rich fresh wine.

T - This beer is good. Very sour, very tart, tangy, and makes your lips smack. I could tell there are tons of flavors in this, I could not pinpoint them.

M - very acidic, and crisp. Just what you expect from a nice champagn, only from a very fine beer.

D - not sure if I could nurse a whole bottle, or even a pint of this baby. The sour is very strong, and I feel that after too much, would ruin the beer near the end. I will have to try it from a bomber and review that to see if I am right.

Deschuttes keepes bringing out amazing brews. Keep up the good work.

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue X:

Sour beer is the future--or at least that is what the brewers and beer geeks have been telling us over the past year or so. Deschutes has thrown their hat in the ring.

Pours out a semi-thin, latte-like froth and dissipates to a thin lacing with some good retention. Clear, tarnished-brass red color, certainly lighter in color compared to other Oud Bruins. Massive and extremely expressive aroma of peppercorn, evergreen sap, anise, lemon peel, tart cherries, vanilla beans and fresh peaches. Very smooth with a fluffy creaminess on the palate. A healthy smack of tartness on the palate ends up being very rounded rather than being a flash in the pan as it feigns tart cherry and lemon zest flavors from start almost to finish. Spice flavors are light but still a little chaotic with minty, peppery and medicinal notes from the yeast and alcohol. Speaking of alcohol, the 9 percent is very deceiving, with only a warmth in the chest as the tartness seems to numb the palate and throat for the first several sips. Small, dry kernel of maltiness in the drying, faded spicy finish.

An epic beer for the sour beer lover, between the level of sourness and light yeast funk, this beer has found a perfect balance. Way too drinkable for its size: Sip and savor with care. A bottle full of beer geek joy.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a Swiss wine snifter. 2010 vintage.

Pours a clear sunburst orange body full of slowly rising bubbles that replenish the one finger of light orange-tinted head. Looks like fall leaves in the Smoky Mountains. Some lacing.

Sweet and sour cherries make up the bulk of the nose, and they smell very nicely integrated and blended. Some nice acid compliments the complex malts and sweet, and all this is bound together by a bit of oak.

Think refinement. This flavor doesn't smack the palate with funk or sourness, but with subtlety and craftsmanship. Sweet, sour, funk and warm soft malts are all in balance, and the result is and Oud Bruin that tastes nearly like a Flanders red. I do not love cherry flavor, but in this beer it is everything that is to like without any medicinal qualities or "cough syrup" overtones. The malts in this beer are noticeable and spot on. The alcohol is nowhere to be found, an achievement for this 10.5% ABV. As this opens up I discover some wine-like flavors that I can't quite put a finger on, but that add to the complexity even more.

Mouthfeel is complex in the same way as the taste. It is both soft and aggressive, creamy and lively. Once again, an achievement. Drinkability is outstanding, truly.

Conclusion: This beer is easy drinking and complex, interesting and subtle. I love it, and I am looking forward to the other 5 bottles that are waiting in my cellar. If this gets more sour and funky as it ages I think it will only get better. This beer is outstanding and is surely one of the best I have ever tasted, and the best part is that it is still young. I look forward to tasting another next year with anticipation. If I had only three beers to drink for the rest of my life, this would be one of them.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Really enjoyable interesting beer. Not overly sour and alot going on with aroma and on the palate. Drinks just about as easy as the lower ABV brothers of this style. I'll drink this over Abyss any day. A great beer from Deschutes!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Big wine character in the taste. The aroma leads with big cherry notes, and in the taste you get some cherry in the front, and a slight puckering effect at the end. I know this gets better with age..

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Slight haze on a copper, deep copper beer. Depth of color is insane. Head is dirty-white and drops to a thin ring quickly. Faint cap on the top. Tiny hints of lacing.

Smell: Slight funk over a lingering sweetness and a nice sour bite. Fresh cherry flesh and some woody, earthy notes. Tart and slightly funky. Floral in good measure with a big fruity component. Nice depth and complexity.

Taste: Less sour than the nose would imply. Bigger funk component is musty and hay-filled. Cherry makes itself known in tart, fleshy form. Some malt sweetness with a decidedly tart edge. Lingering tartness adds a brightness that helps balance the funky, woody aspect. Cherry juice and flesh in good measure. Very well balanced with a nice depth. Powdery funk. So much deliciousness.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body with a nice solid carbonation. Very dry on the finish with a lingering sour edge.

Overall: If the first bottle release is better than the second, I don't think my brain could handle it. So much flavor and just enough sour and funk to keep things exciting. Loads of flavor and a great balance. Seriously Deschutes, stop being so good at things. It makes me sad that I can't get it...

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

a: This was a very pretty ruby color with some coppery highlights. It poured with a long lived, sticky, and fizzy light tan head.

s: Beautiful, but hard to describe. Tart fruity aromas of rhuhbarb, lemon and apple cider vinegar. Also, some damp, earthy hay blanketed by gentle warmth.

t: Difficult to describe and I just want to enjoy this one, so I'll be general. The funk is there, but it isn't all that harsh. I didn't even get heartburn. The abv is extremely well masked and there is subtle something sweet that works really well. Because of my lack of experience, I can't speak to the authenticity of this offering. I can just say I loved it.

m: Chewy and big bodied with carbonation that lasted the entire hour and a half.

d: Big thanks to stellar JohnGalt1 for this gem. What an extraordinary beauty form the PNW. Thanks again Toby!

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance-Pours a deep, clear, orange amber with a low fizzy head that dissipates quickly.

Smell-Tart and acidic with a touch of oak barrel.

Taste-Beautiful, refreshing palate cleansing sour up front which gives way to the wine barrel flavor. A pleasant puckering effect with appropriate astringency at the very dry finish. Caramel nut malts are least prominent behind other favors. Overall this beer is not incredibly complex, but so good there's no need for lots of different things as what is there is so enjoyable.

Mouthfeel- Thin bodied, lively, palate washing, refreshing.

Drinkability- Alcohol is barely noticeable among the riot of flavor.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours an opaque golden red color with a light bubbly off white head.

Smell is of tart cherries and vinegar.

Taste is great, smooth tartness comes through with a nice creamy finish. Sour, but not overly sour, quite an enjoyable beer.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, pretty damn good.

Very drinkable, especially considering the ABV.

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Saint Somewhere wine-style glass. Label says Best After 8/20/13

A- Pours a semi-murky reddish light brown color with a 1/8 inch light tan head that's short-lived and soon dissipates to a thin ring around the edge of the glass and minimal surface foam. Non-resilient lacing leaves a thin ring behind on the glass.

S- Aroma is bursting with lactic acid bringing notes of tart cherry, sour apple and wine-like alcohol fumes.

T- The oak comes through wonderfully in this beer as it meshes with the fruit and tartness to create a balanced and drinkable combination. Not incredibly sour and the alcohol is masterfully hidden. I almost wish there was just a tad more flavor but this pretty much hits the spot. Semi-astringent oak aftertaste.

M- Slight pucker but quite quenching. Low carbonation and a medium body.

O- This is one knockout of a sour but it's so subtle in its execution. A slow sipper but every one is a delight.

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%

2010 Vintage
Pours an effervescent cream colored head, bright copper hues in the body, lots of carbonation bubbles trace the sides. Smells of cherries, pineapple, mango, oak, vanilla, toffee. Tastes of tart lacto up front, followed by more muted cherry, maraschino cherry to be exact, toffee, vanilla, slight chocolate, fig. Mouthfeel is medium, thin for the ABV, you can still feel the alcohol heat on this one, carbonation is great and mellows as it sits. Great oude bruin, my favorite style and a great rendition of it.

May 08 2010
2008 Vintage
Had this at a tasting at Jakes 5th anneversary. Nice hazy copper color capped with a beige head that quickly fades. Smells of sour cherries and funk still after these few years. Tastes of cherries up front followed by musty horse and a barely perceptable alcohol burn. Light body and very drinkable.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance - Poured an amber red color, with a moderate head. Ample carbonation with a light lacing forming as the initial head regressed. Crystal clear in appearance.

Smell - As I opened the wax encrusted cap, my nose was caressed with a lively cherry nose. As this offering had wild cherries infused into the process, this was expected. Quite inviting. Some tart brett nose also shines through. A bit of the musty nose as well. Again, expected and well-received for an Oud bruin.

Taste - The brett presents a tart and inviting opening to this beer. The tart is not so acidic as to be off-putting. Nice malty middle with no hop presence (at 30 IBU, I would not expect to find any). Either that, or the tart cherry contribution is masking the hop contribution. The 10.5% ABV makes its presence known as part of the great warming finish. Once I read that a portion of it was aged in pinot and cabernet barrels for over 3 months, the taste made sense. In my opinion, this is wine barrel-aging done correctly.

Mouthfeel - Medium-to-full. The carbonation lasts quite a long time and again the tartness adds to the depth of this offering.

Drinkability - I haven't had the 2008 version of The Dissident, so I can only rate this against other Oud Bruins. Outstanding. I personally enjoyed the depth, yet mellow, contribution the brett provided this presentation. The cherry provide a surprising balance with its sweet contribution. An outstanding beer.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Have been greatly looking forward to this. Thanks Liquid Solutions!

Pours a clear brown. Held to the light, some reddish amber hues. Almost no head at first, then it builds to an inch or so of off-white foam.

I like the aroma. Some sour apple and cherry, maybe some barnyard funk lurking about. Taste is sublime, with a strong funky undercurrent that sweeps through everything with barnyard mustiness, but plenty of popping fruit flavors; cherry, unripe apple, and ... a bit of raisiny/pruney sweetness.

Can't taste the alcohol. Mouthfeel is decent. The vinegariness so prevalent in this style of beer is very, very muted.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I think "dissident" I think of Noam Chomsky...or a Pearl Jam song...or Judas Priest's "Dissident Aggressor"...or msubulldog25, who generously sent this. Hopefully next time I think "dissident" it'll be with visions of this bottle floating through my head. Let's see...

First, c'mon, the wax thing looks nice, very classy, but it's a hassle and a mess. Or maybe I'm too uncoordinated to deal with it. No points docked for this, of course. When I finally get the liquid into my Unibroue tulip, I'm looking at one gorgeous beer. The fluffy two-finger cap has tan highlights; the liquid is a gorgeous rusty red with burgundy shades, and a battalion of bubbles rush northward. A thick gob of lace swirls around the glass and this thing might as well get a perfect "5" for looks.

Aroma is fruit (cherry, cranberry), leather, and band-aid (or what my lovely wife calls "socks"). Quite fragrant and even flowery in the wildest sense, with a fresh bread dough essence in the background. Geez, so far, so great.

Flavor is what could be expected from the hints in the aroma. Tangy fruits--especially cranberry and currant--along with a wild, stinky yeastiness that thankfully doesn't go overboard. Woody, with earth/soil hints and fresh hot doughnut breadiness. Finish is tangy/fruity and slightly sweet. Yeast carries through into the finish as well.

Round and creamy, yet buoyant and alive. Puckers the mouth just enough to keep you wanting more. It's just right.

This is absolutely wonderful. Should be sought out by any fan of Belgian sour sales, Belgian wild ales, Belgian ales in general, and just damn great beer. The Belgians better watch their back--the Dissident is a bad-ass mutha of an Oud Bruin. There are actually Belgians who think no U.S. brewer could possibly brew a Belgian-style ale with any integrity (I won't name names). The Dissident smashes that notion once and for all.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 650mL bomber. This is the 2012 run of Dissident, drank July 24, written from my notes.

Nose: As soon as the seal was broken the scent of sour cherries hit my nostrils. Very tart, sharp aroma. It's a familiar smell from other sour cherry ales, but Dissident is stronger, sharper than anything else I've had. Lots of cherry here, but not overly sweet - the funkiness is very much there. Some oak, vinegar as well.

Taste: Wow, reminds me of Driftwood's Belle Royale but on steroids. That great cherry sourness hits pretty solidly right away, moderately sweet. Very dry finish and it has a sharpness that I'd liken to extra old cheddar - this last trait is what's unique about Dissident for me. It actually wasn't until I had drank about 200mL that I noticed the ABV - I had assumed it was similar to other sour cherry ales I've had but it was significantly higher at 11.4%. This surely has a lot to do with that sharpness I found.

Overall: Really good if not a little overly acidic for me. I find it so powerful that it has to be a special occasion beer - it lacks the accessibility of some of the less potent sour cherry ales, but accessible is not something it's going for.

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2012 Reserve served from a bomber into a Golden Monkey Goblet. Wax dipped bottle top. Bottle reads: best after 08/20/13 so I'll be sure to throw some of these in the cellar and review again in a year or so.

Appearance: A lovely rose-brown color pours into the glass and leaves a couple cm of white, thin head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Sour, but not overbearing. Some cherry and tart flavors meet the nose. Definitely an enjoyable scent.

Taste: Tart cherries, the perfect amount of sour, and the alcohol is extremely well balanced to make this beer exceptional. The 11.4% ABV is extremely well integrated, not to mention well-hidden.

Mouth-feel: Wonderful and balanced. A good amount of carbonation - this is definitely one to pause with a little before swallowing. That being said, it's pretty light - typical of a sour-type beer.

Overall: Such a well balanced Flanders Oud Bruin, especially for its strength. I could drink this one all night. The cherries used in brewing definitely come out and add to this beer. This is definitely a beer to savor, it is delicious and gets even better as it warms, after opening.

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Slightly cloudy red body with a yellowish head.

S: Super tart nose. Good vinegar plus barnyard.

T: Great tartness. Good vinegar. More barnyard in the flavor than the aroma, but enters late.

M: Thin to medium body, right for the style.

D: The funk is deliciously intense.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Opening this beer was a task and my only one complaint. Once I Scraped enough of the wax off the top to get at the cap and pry it off everything went perfectly.

I poured from my 750 mL bottle into a wine glass.

The color was brown with a touch of red light.

The sent of the beer was roasted malts, cinnamon and some yeast.

This is where I was blown away. From the smell I was expecting something more malty and richer. I was quite surprised. The beer was refreshingly tart. I had read that there was wild yeast on the bottle but I wasn't expecting something this fruity. It tastes like Bananas, Tangerines, a touch of Chocolate, Black Cherries and a lingering yeast on the back of my tongue.

The mouth feel was also great. The beer wasn't too dry and didn't have any noticeable presence of alcohol. Smooth all the way down. Not over/under carbonated.

This beer made me feel just a little like Goldilocks. It was "Just right."

I'm going to be picking up a few more bottles of this guy by the end of the week. Time to share this great find with my friends and family. Not to mentions hoard a little for my self.

NOTE: ABV was 9% on the bottle

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

"Every once and a while you just have to go against the grain." - From the label.

Damn, I think Deschutes should go against the grain more often. Damn tradition. Never settle. Love what this brewery is doing.

2010 Reserve. Paid $12.49 for the last bottle in Salem at Capital Market shortly before it sold out shortly after it was released. Shortly produced too. I want more.

A-Pours a hazy, ruby grapefruit red hue with a minimal head (1/2 finger) that leaves modest lacing on the glass.

S-Cherries. Blessedly sour cherries. Slight vinegar and faint alcohol. Some sweetness and citrusy grapefruit. I knew I was going to love this beer at first whiff.

T-Nice balance of tart and tangy cherries with some mild hop bitterness. Very fruity and almost festive. Even wine like, which is awesome given the grain bill per the homebrew clone recipe on the Deschutes website. The sour notes are very well balanced by residual sweetness and bitterness.

M-Very smooth and well carbonated. Feels too good to be beer.

O-I liked this more than I expected. Perhaps, it is not a traditional Flanders sour. IDGARA. This is brewed in America. Beer is better here. Belgium can have their classic bicycle races. But, I am all for improving Belgian beer styles and Deschutes has gone against the grain in a way that harmonizes with my soul. Well done Deschutes. Very well done.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Picked up this brew from the Bier Stein, Eugene, OR. Let's see if it's been worth the wait.

Pours a beautiful deep amber color, with a thin white head that settles fairly quickly, leaving some light lacing. Aroma is an amazing cider vinegar sour, with a hint of a cinnamon. Sour beers can be hit or miss. This one hits it out of the park. I love the sour cider flavor, but the fact that it has some depth to it is what does it for me. Mouthfeel is very crisp, maybe a little thin. Very drinkable, as far as sour beers go. DEFINITELY worth a try.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Dark amber to light copper color with a 3 finger off white head, which has good retention, and leaves some lacing. The aroma has tart cherries, green apple, and Brettanomyces.

The flavor has more sweetness than I expected from the aroma. Tart cherries, green apples, Brettanomyces, vanilla, bread, and caramel are all present in the flavor. The combination of flavors makes for an interesting balance of tartness and sweetness. Very nice.

Medium bodied, creamy, medium carbonation, and finishes dry. The alcohol is extremely well hidden. This is a wonderful and complex beer. I am glad I have one more bottle to age. I recommend this beer highly.

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Huge thanks to Weibull for this one. 2008 Vintage. 22oz. Wine colored waxed bottle poured into a Portsmouth snifter. Shared with schen9303.

A: Standard pour yields a 1 1/2 finger fine off-white colored head with good retention. Beer is a cloudy reddish clay color. Lacing is stringy, spotty and sparse with good cling.

S: Nose is vinegary with a bit of ethanol and lactose in the mix. Musky sour cherries. Overall very fragrant and creamier than most other flanders I've come across. Appetizing.

T: Opens with a cherry/red plum. Vinegar has faded into the background with time. Rich and creamy. Caramel and brown sugar sweetness. Tart overtones but never overwhelming. Finish is muddy and tart. Aftertaste is earthy.

M: Medium bodied and appropriately carbonated. Creamy and smooth in the mouth. Just a bit abrasive going down. Finishes messy and aftertaste is sticky and filmy.

D: Probably the best offering from Deschute I've had to date. This is one of the most complex and balanced flanders that I've come across in a long while and the age has done wonders to it. Definitely worth seeking out and truly a great beer.

4.57/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a 16oz. Deschutes snifter from Rastal.

A - a dark brown with some red in it. Similar in appearance to Troegs Mad Elf

S - Subtle overall, but definitely tartness, cherries, red wine, and oak

T - Awesome, pretty complex with different flavors washing over each other as one works his way through the sip. Tart cherries come first, followed by some vanilla and red wine flavor. Didn't really get a lot of oak in the taste.

M - Very smooth with some light carbonation. Slightly more viscous than your typical sour such as Supplication from RR

D - Extremely Drinkable for a sour, but I wouldn't want to drink more than a bottle if you plan on using your taste buds for something afterwards.

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery