The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
Reviews: 462 | Hads: 1,201
3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

This is currently on draft at my place of employment. When the keg was first tapped I didn't really dig it that much. We sat on the keg and tapped it about two months later. I liked it better on the second tapping.

The appearance for this one is a nice light amber-red color that has an amazing clarity to it. It can be poured with a crisp white head, but it doesn't really stick around for long. They must have filtered this because it has an amazing look to it.

The smell is strong with cherries, but even more with vinegar and balsamic. It has a strong, tart, and sour smell that is pretty pronounced.

Noting this as a Flanders Oud Bruin is only somewhat accurate. It has some balsamic vinegar notes as well as a nice musty cherry taste as well. It is somewhat dry, but has an unique medicinal flavor that I associate with certain types of Brett. Pretty interesting tastes and this is where I start getting curious about the keg vs bottle differences.

It is a nice sipper, something that goes down pretty easily. Its just the right amount of sour and challenges the palate. I was hoping for something mind blowing and was a bit let down. I would trade this for last years Black Butte XXII.

3.76/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Based on observations as I think this is my first Flanders Oud Bruin.
This was poured into a tulip.
The appearance was a semi-dark red color with very little to none head. It looks like it just spots the top of the beer.
The smell takes tart cherries to blend into a light vinous character (guessing that's coming from the wine barrel). Light woodiness competes for center stage but gently backs off.
The taste was sour with the tart cherries adding some light citrus. Woodiness only comes out as the beer warms and softly shows a light presence in the aftertaste and finish.
The mouthfeel was about light to medium bodied with some carbonation hitting my tongue but also allowing the sour to hit in the harshness as well. Woodiness dries my tongue a bit, but not overbearing.
Overall, well, given that this is my first Flanders Oud Bruin that I know of, I'd say it's an interesting one, is it fair enough to say that I'd be willing to have it again just to see how it ages or even compared to others of its style?

3.76/5  rDev -9.6%

22oz bottle picked up from the brewery. 2012 vintage. Consumed 10/5, reviewed from notes.

A: Fizzy lifting drink. Decently hard pour yields a quickly fading head. Dark cider colored copper.

N: Potent - don't even have to put my nose to the glass to smell. Very vinous with the red wine grapes. Plenty of oak and tannins. Pleasant funk from the vinegar/acetone. This smells much more like an Oud Bruin than the 2010. Lots of cherries and some leather.

T:Taste falls short of the nose, and when it's cold, it's really non-descript, unlike any other beer I've had. Cherry cola. Sourness level is about medium. As this warm, it gets better. Oak, cranberry, and blueberry. Sherry starts to shine, as does the French Oak.

M: On the heavier side for an oud bruin, but still in range. No alcohol burn.

O: I feel like the 2008 is a vintage not to be matched ever again. Hoping the yeast eats some of the sugars and gives this more depth. And a big warning about drinking this less than cool.

3.77/5  rDev -9.4%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2010 bottle. 3 days before the "Best after" date. Damn!

Appearance - Very clear red body, which is surprising. Vigorous head on the pour, but the retention is minimal and there's nary a hint of bubbles once it's gone.

Smell - Cherries, oak, and some sour notes. Red wine rounds out most of the flavors. The flavors blend nicely as none are notably stronger than the others. I do think it has a certain intensity that is off-putting, though I can't place it. It might be alcohol, but it's tough.

Taste - As expected from the smell, with a significant dose of oak. Not very sour, really. In fact, it's hardly sour. A lot of wine flavors, cherries, and again an intense flavor that might be alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Drier than most Oud Bruins, but it's not puckeringly dry. Not a lot of carbonation, but it isn't missed. I don't feel the alcohol, although that flavor still eludes me!

Overall - Not as good as I was hoping. Still a good Oud Bruin, but not anywhere near as exciting as some of its counterparts.

Review from notes on 12/10/10. On tap at Pracna

A: Reddish brown with a very small white head. No lacing.

S: A bit sour with tart cherries and a bit of funkiness to it.

T: Sour with more tart cherries and sour green apple. A touch of carmel maltiness. The finish has an olive juice like taste, very odd, but surprising good.

M: Medium to lighter body, moderate carbonation. Very slick feeling.

D: More of a sipper and you definitely gotta be in the mood for this one. A 10 ounce pour was enough for me.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2012 Reserve. Got in trade. Highly anticipated. Love Old Browns. Big fan of Deschutes over the years.
Not a knockout. Also...though slight...the funkiness is distracting...seems more an off taste than a complement. And there was a bit of a burn in drinking I associated with ABV. And...why ramp up a beer I would more expect a more session oriented beer?
Also, may be I should have anticipated smarter...am not a wine barrel beer guy. Find them often thinned and astringent and ( as expected) winey. Obviously this is "as described" a beer aged in pinot barrels.
Probably works for most...just not in my wheel house.

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

pours a clear brown with a red tint, small tan head that dissipates quickly, above average carbonation, good lacing.

smell is sour, fruit, malt, alcohol, some woodiness to it.

taste is tart, raspberry, sour malt, oak, ends dry and bitter, leaves the mouth tart.

3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

Really a beautiful appearing beer, with all sorts of browns and reds in there along with an off-white head.

Smelled great too, with tartness, funk from the wild yeast, some earthy tones, and different berries (including cherries) prevalent.

The taste was good, but after having a couple of Russian River sours (which were also brewed with Brett), I think this could have been better. Sour start is not as cleanly tart as I would have liked, and it didn't meld fantastically with the cherries that came next. However, overall it did taste quite good, with the earth and booze going well together.

Had an average palate feel. Will re-rate if get a chance to taste an aged bottle.

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

A- Served in a snifter, slight sticky lacing, nice deep red/brown color. Head dissipated quickly.

S- Fruit and Sourness, little bit of funkiness

T- Sweet and nice sour finish, not to acidic like some of the other sour beers brewed in the U.S.

M- Great smooth carbonation

D-Working as I taste this but I would love to drink it all night long!!

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

2008 bottle. Pours a clear dark cherry red with a thick head. Nose is fairly sharp, sour, citric. Pretty balanced and enjoyable, and bright. Mouth is soft, flavor profile opens with a fair amount of wine barrel and sour cherries. Sweet, sour, much darker than the nose, not as bright or citric. Acidity on the back end. Really wet and wine barrel-heavy, a quality that I don't really dig in sours. Reminds me of some 2009-2010 era McKenzie stuff. Still, this is a bit more refined, interesting, and has some nice aromatic qualities. Pretty nice.

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Traded like heck to stock up on a couple of these bottles well after the release. Made for a higher level of anticipation.

Second opportunity to taste this. This time around had half a bottle to form an impression.

Unibroue tulip. Brown/red color with a head that appears a bit gray. Musty aroma.

Noticed cherry and raison sweetness flavor and aroma halfway through. Strange, overwhelmingly flavorful early finish - perhaps a bit too ripe. Hard to describe. Sweet and dry. I suspect and hope this one will benefit from aging.

Tartness and sweetness towards the very impacts drinkability to the minus.

2008 batch:

Appearance: 22 oz bottle dipped in crimson-colored wax, which is ridiculously thick. Awesome label and presentation. The beer itself pours a dark but clear reddish-brown with two fingers of off-white head forming from a vigorous pour. The beer is just barely transparent in my tulip glass. Head retention is decent for the style.

Smell: Funky, horsey brett is apparent as soon as my bottle has been uncapped. Once it's actually in my glass, the tart aroma of cherries is evident as well along with a hint of red wine.

Taste & mouthfeel: Tart cherries through and through, it's far and away the dominant character. Sourness and acidity are fairly spot-on for the oud bruin style, which is to say that they're in balance with the rest of the flavors rather than being completely in-your-face like a lambic. Sweetness is minimal, faintly present in the background, tasting more like remnants of fructose from the cherries rather than from the malt. The use of wine barrels for aging is most evident in the finish, where for a moment it actually fools you into thinking that you're drinking a glass of pinot noir. Acetobacter is practically non-existent here, which is absolutely a good thing in my opinion. The mouthfeel is pleasantly light and dry, perhaps slightly tannic from oak aging.

Drinkability: Dangerously drinkable. I'd never guess this was 9%, and with expertly balanced acidity this goes down far too easy.

Overall: I'm impressed. Deschutes has managed to create a beer of surprising authenticity, quite a feat given that this is their first attempt at the style.

2010 batch:

Boozy and astringent, though still decently complex and fruity. Not as enjoyable as the previous release.

3.81/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Got a bottle at Tacoma Boys. Says 2012 on the label. Cool packaging with the Makers Mark style wax covering, but was kind of a pain in the ass to open. Aromas of vinegar. Very sharp and sour fragrance. Amber orange in color with a tan head that doesn't sustain very long, but leaves nice lace on top. Can tell it's highly carbonated as it look and sounds explosive. Wow. This is a bomb to the palate. Heavy alcohol notes. Very tart and light sourness. The alcohol has an immediate warming effect. Fruity, sour apple and cherry flavors. Alot of red wine in the mix as well. I don't care for the aftertaste. It's very metallic and just off somehow. Too bad. Maybe not as carbonated as it looks at first but I think it lost alot of it sitting in the glass. Very interesting beer and I love the primary flavor, just don't like the finish.

3.81/5  rDev -8.4%

A- Pours an amber-red color with a thin ring of foam around the glass.

S- The initial smell is EXTREMELY funky. Wet barnyard animals kinda funky. Beyond that, earthy tones of brett and notes of sour cherries are noted. It takes a lot to get past the inital stankyness though.

T- After a couple sips, I was able to ignore the ridiculous funk in the nose and really delve into the taste. Sour and funky notes balance a slight sweetness. Brett and sour cherriy notes balance the flavors of black cherries and caramel.

M- Crisp and tart with a lingering sour flavor.

D- This one needs to be sipped. The initial aroma is quite foul, but once you get beyond that, the beer is pretty enjoyable.

3.81/5  rDev -8.4%

I hardly even know where to start with this. I'm not very familiar with the style (I've only had one other Flanders style), so I'm going to be winging it here.

I'm looking at it right now in a pint glass, and it's a pretty looking beer. Clear, dark amber with little head and little lacing, both of which fade quickly. That's the end of similarities with the beers I usually drink.

It smells sour and citrus, and both of these themes continue strongly into the taste. I can barely detect any hops (if at all), but I can barely detect any malt, either.

It feels fine in the mouth, thin and light, leaving the slightly dry feeling I associate with grapefruit.

Overall, I was surprised to enjoy this beer. I had to turn my beer-head off and just enjoy it as a beverage, but I did like it.

I can't tell you if this is any good for the style, but even though I'm kind of a hop head, I found it tasty enough to be interested in trying more of the style. That alone is probably a pretty good review of the beer.

I didn't even remember tasting this previously, but I certainly did go and try more similar styles, and sours are now up there in the categories of beer that I like. I'm still primarily a hophead, though.

I've had a 2010 and 2012 Dissident sitting around for a while, and finally decided to crack them with my wife today. 2010 "Best After" 11-01-11, 2012 "Best After" is 08-20-13. Both pour at fridge temp, they sat around for 20 minutes or so while I wrangled children, so I'd guess they're near 50 F now.

2010 pours a lighter reddish-brown, cloudy, little head, lots of carbonation. 2012 is darker, maybe slightly more carbonated, less cloudy.

2010 smells fruity and sour, very sweet-tarty and makes me think of a Flanders Red. 2012 has more beery aroma, more yeast, more muted.

2010 tastes sour and bitter, is this hopped like hell? Aftertaste is overpoweringly bitter (for the style), it's slow and drawn out. Up front, it's bright and fruity and sour. 2012 is fruitier, less sour, less bitter, and more muted all around. The lower bitterness on 2012 is appealing, makes it a bit easier to drink.

Mouthfeel on 2010 is dry, very dry, slightly gritty. 2012 is smoother, silkier.

Overall, still good, I might give it slightly better scores in some areas and slightly worse in others. I think I like the 2012 better, but maybe letting the 2010 settle on the palate a little more will reduce the impression of bitterness.

3.82/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Murky caramel not much head...no lace. Ring only.

S - Sour bitter astringent nose. Hint of malt.

T - Nice depth. Small caramel core surrounded by sour notes. Nice blend.

M - Light to medium body, fair balance, decent carb.

D - Masks the ABV pretty well. Tasty.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

10/11/08- Purchased at Bottle Barn, in Santa Rosa, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, 2008 release. Waxed cap and poured into my Orval chalice.

Appearance- Kind of a filtered apple cider color. A bit ruby red, a bit brown. Small 1/4 inch head, if that with a light rim remaining through the beer. Leaves light watery lace spotting...about the norm for any Oud Bruin I've had.

Smell- Very light nose. Oak is the main flavor, but still not that strong. Cherries, maybe some raspberries and a light earthy nose.

Taste- For an american made Oud Bruin..excellent, for an overall Oud Bruin, better than average. Has a really nice cherry base. It's tart but not too tart. Actually, I would have preffered a bit more sour in the taste. Oak flavor swirls around with cherry as the main flavor. It does have some slight earthy-mushroom-truffle-dirt flavor.

Mouthfeel- The one drawback I have is that it really does not have a lasting mouthfeel of any kind. Once you take a sip the flavor is gone. The carbonation is about right with a light, but sharp and prickly feeling.

Drinkability- One I would buy again, but probably not worth the double digit price tag due due to the hype. Still, a really good job by Dechutes. Almost a great beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft. Sampled on 12/10/10 at Pracna on Main. Had 2 glass, the first poured into a tall pils glass a clear copper amber color with very little head. The second pour was into a snifter and did have a slight tan head. Aroma is that of sour cherries and slight acidic notes, very minimal aroma with some sweetness. Medium/light mouthfeel with slight carbonation. Slightly boozy. Cherry taste with white wine characteristics. Woody. The Brett is pretty subdued, may be interesting how time treats this. Easy drinking but with all the craziness over this in MN, I'm really note sure if it deserves the hype.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Orange amber in color topped off with just off white head. Great lacing and pretty good clarity.

S: Sour lemon and hints of metal shavings.

T: Lots of funky spicy flavors meld with oxidized cherries and overripe strawberry. Subtle fruity tartness with a touch of acetic acid (acetone/shoe polish like).

M: Prickly

O: I'm thinking this has some potential to age into something nice but I think it will take 3-5 years to do so.

3.84/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2014 batch at the Beer Hive in Salt Lake City.

After I ordered this, I realized this was aged in wine barrels. I let out a groan; I have the tendency to think it will taste winey and vinegary. It sure did with this one. The barrels lend a strong winey taste to it - too much that the sourness is an afterthought. It did have a nice sourish flavor with a decent malt backbone and strong notes of cherries. But the vinegar and wine notes were overwhelming. I also found the beer to be a bit under-carbonated. My opinion: keep the wine barrels away from this. Try an oak barrel or maybe even a whisky barrel. I did enjoy this, but it wasn't La Folie.

3.84/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pour dark Amber/ light brown with a light tan head. Aromas of vinegar, sour toffee/caramel malt, hints of cherry and oak. Much more cherry flavor is present in the taste. Mild oak, vinegar and some toffee malt

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Deep brownish red with a rather small tanned head that actually stays on for a while before settling. Some lacings.

S: The smell is quite interesting. There is a prominent mix of tart vinegar and clean brett aromas going on with notes of really funky barnyard, cherry tannins, red wine-like grapes, grass, yeast and wet wood. Hints of oaky vanilla. A complex small, but slightly too edgy.

T: The taste is not as complex nor as interesting as the smell would have you to believe. It's actually quite sweet with prominent malty flavors of caramel coupled with pleasant tart fruit aromas (cherries and grapes). Complementary, somewhat clean, brett aromas and notes of mud, oak, grass and vanilla. Hints of yeast. The finish has a mild bitterness to it, brett, sweetish alcohol and dry cherry notes. I think it would have benefited from less alcohol flavors.

M: Medium, almost full body, and medium carbonation which is not how I want a Flanders Oud bruin to be - I prefer them with more carbonation. It's actually almost smooth and sticky.

D: A fairly good attempt at a style that seems hard to master outside of the boarders of Belgium. It's slightly too heavy and big to be really good. The additions from the cherries are really nice though.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Reddish brown color, very small head. Smells like sour fruit, with a bit of malt. I'm not really sure what to compare this too... But i was pleasantly surprised. slight vinegar taste, not too sour. just enough to give it a nice twang. slightly spicy and peppery. Medium carbonation level. the sourness does a nice job of scrubbing the palate. I like this beer. i haven't had too many sours before, so i don't have much to compare it too... but i like it.

poured into tulip glass.

2010 vintage.

Appearance: mahogony red bodied beer with a thin white head. Drops to a thin cap.

Smell: Vinegar, fruity, cherries, a wierd plastic note.

Taste: Cherrys, and white grapes. Mild vinegar and a mild tartness. Malty backbone that is eqaul to or stronger than the sour notes from this beer. Its got a plastic flavor it it as well.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with low carbonation.

Overall: It was decent, but I was a little bit dissapointed by this beer. I think I need to try a fresh bottle to give it a fair shot.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to julian for this one

Poured a 22oz bottle into a New Belgian globe glass. This beer pours a reddish mahogany that really shows its red highlights when held up to the light. The head started out as a pillow-y 2 inch beige head that left no lacing what so ever and melted into a lily pad. The aroma is woody up front, with sour pie cherries, and apple cider vinegar. The taste follows suit with sour cherries, oak, and raisins. The mouthfeel is light and crisp leaving a slight dryness. This is a great first attempt at a sour from Deschuttes and I for one, would love to see this as a continual effort from them.

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery