2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

The DissidentThe Dissident

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012

(Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Ratings: 895 | Reviews: 419 | Show All Ratings:
woemad

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

From notes. Pint served on-tap at Hill's in Spokane for $6 as Eastern Washington mounted an improbable comeback against North Dakota State and won in overtime, advancing to the 1-AA semifinals. Go Eagles!

Poured a reddish brown that took on an almost raspberryish hue when held up to the light. Very little head, and what there was disappeared fairly quickly, but I didn't expect much given the style and alcoholic potency.

Big nose on this one. Tart cherries, figs, pears, vinegar, a little bit of oakiness and a whiff of farmhouse funk.

Not as sour tasting tasting as I was expecting, though the fruity sweetness I noticed in the scent was pretty well bulldozed as well. While there are some sour elements, the most overriding flavor characteristic was a pucker-inducing tartness. Vinegar flavors were present, but with a low enough intensity that they melded well with the tart, fruit flavors. No hop flavor to speak of, probably the first time I've ever found that to be the case when drinking a beer from Deschutes.

Medium bodied, with a prickly yet coating mouthfeel.

Definitely not a session beer, but very pleasing on a stand-alone basis. This would probably make a good counterpoint to an overly sweet dessert. If you dig tart, Belgian-style beers, this is a good choice.

12-17-2010 19:58:54 | More by woemad
mdfb79

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

From 12/12/10 notes. Brought a growler of this to a local tasting. 2010 batch.

a - Pours a dark amber red color with two inches of white head and moderate carbonation

s - Smells of sour cherries and dark fruits, sweet fruit, vinegar, and a hint of oak.

t - Taste follows the nose, but not as sweet. Some sour and tart cherries, funk, and no real oak.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty smooth, I liked the body.

d - I thought this was a really good flanders. Some people thought the first batch was more sour and had mroe oak; I've never had that batch but still really enjoyed this one. Would like to get a bottle of this to compare.

Serving type: growler

12-16-2010 01:29:52 | More by mdfb79
drabmuh

Maryland

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Growler provided by Dan, thanks Dan...a growler...really?

Beer is light brown and mostly clear with a head of large and small bubbles, mild carbonation and minimal lacing.

Aroma is mildly acetic with a bite to it. Good malt notes in there as well.

Beer is medium to light in body and sweeter than I expected. The lead off character is strongly malty and pretty sweet, this immediately gives way to a strong funky sourness, mostly lactic with an acetic and mildly citric brightness to it. The finish is clean and mildly tart in the corners of my mouth. A very good bruin.

Serving type: growler

12-14-2010 16:37:30 | More by drabmuh
tewaris

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

On tap at Pracna on the Main, as part of their Deschutes December event. Served in a Deschutes snifter. I could try this beer only because of the generosity of the manager Meagen (chixdighops) and her boyfriend, and some luck. Thanks guys for letting me have the last drink of the sixtel!

Appearance 4/5
Brilliantly clear, deep rusty red hued with a tiny collar and some lacing.

Aroma 3.5/5
Funky and fruity, typical sour brown but nothing too exciting. Some sweet alcohol too.

Taste 3.5/5
Lightly tart and fruity with an unfitting bitterness/astringency towards the end.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Smooth and light bodied with medium carbonation.

Drinkability 4/5
Good.

Other
I don't get the hype. Hugely underwhelming. I will not part with anything that I can't get off the shelves for this beer.

12-14-2010 13:58:06 | More by tewaris
Hempdigler

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Today (12/10/10) I have climbed to the pinnacle of Mt. Beerdom. I have finally sipped my first taste of the much acclaimed Deschutes Dissident.
Just hours after the oldest restaurant on the oldest street in Minneapolis "Pracna on Main" tapped one of two kegs in the state I took my first sip into the "good-ass beer" subculture. Deschutes clearly sits high atop the throne of Beerdom and today was the day I became a citizen of that world.

I was expecting a good old pint of beer, but what I received was a snifter specially made for Deschutes Dissident. The waitress presented the golden brown and lightly rose colored snifter of heaven to me with a smile that told me she knew what I was about to experience. At first glance Dissident hardly looks like a beer, there was no head in the glass and there are only a touch of bubbles floating from the bottom of the glass. If it wasn't for the big Deschutes logo on the side of the glass I would have thought it was cognac.

Convinced I had beer in front of me proceeded nose first to give the beer a good sniff. The sweet smell of fermented cherries filled my nostrils. I hadn't had a cherry beer in ten years, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I don't remember enjoying the beer much either but my tastes have evolved much since those days.

I tilted the snifter further back to my lips ready to enjoy this beer that has been the buzz of the BA forums for months. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. It was like a mix of a brown lager and cherry wine. I took all the restraint I had to drink it moderately. I knew it was a strong beer I believe around 10% alcohol. I could feel the wine taste leaving the undersides of my tongue dry begging for another sip. The after taste reminded me of the slight oak taste often described of many aged wines.

I also sampled a few other Deschutes creations while at Pracna, Obsidian, Jubelale. I must say this is definitely the most original beer I ever tasted, and the most standout I tasted that night. I will be back next week to sample it yet again and The Abyss they are tapping Thursday (12/16/10).

12-13-2010 20:39:02 | More by Hempdigler
BretSikkink

Mexico

4.45/5  rDev +6%

In this corner, weighing in at 10.5% alcohol by volume and 30 international bittering units, a sour Flanders Oud Bruin hailing from Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon: The Dissident. [Raucous cheering]

One of my favorite styles, this Oud Bruin has it all for me: a deep brown color, dark malty depth of body, vinegar notes of wild Brett yeast, and Washington cherry bittersweetness.

Poured into a tulip glass at Papago, the tapped brew had no head whatsoever, just a bubble or two here and there. The copper-mahogany color more than makes up for it, looking both formidable and inviting. The nose provides further enticement, with plenty of fruit notes, both sweet and sour. A hint of the wild yeast is apparent as well as a slight hint towards the red wine barrel-aging as a vinous character emerges.

The Dissident is simply spectacular. Balanced but assertive, the alcohol heat is remarkably well-hidden behind a wall of flavors. The sour, wild nature is readily apparent, but the massive flavors from the malt and cherries, rounded out by barrel aging, come together so nicely. This is presumably from the brand-new, November 2010 release, so this keg was less than a month old and snappier than hell. If you find a bottle, buy it; if you see it on draft, order two. Silly-drinkable for this style, and silky smooth all around.

12-12-2010 19:44:25 | More by BretSikkink
nataku00

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Since I haven't been able to get a bottle here in the Bay Area, I had to make a trip to try it when I saw it was on tap locally.

2010 keg of The Dissident on tap at City Beer in SF, poured into a tulip glass. Slightly hazy reddish brown beer with just a little white foam right at the surface of the beer. Some carbonation visible through the beer, and I could see shadows through the beer as well so it's not too opaque.

Nose is sour cherries, vinegar acidity, and soft oak. Some raspberry sweetness as well.

Taste is light sour cherry puckering, sweet red berries, and vanilla from oak. Flavor is a bit muted compared to the nose, unfortunately. While good, just not as strong as I was hoping.

Medium bodied beer with just a gentle carbonation, slippery and slightly syrupy. Fairly drinkable glass of beer as the sour is not too strong, not lingering too long on the tongue, making it very easy to drink, but better to sip slowly.

12-11-2010 22:28:07 | More by nataku00
kbutler1

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft. Sampled on 12/10/10 at Pracna on Main. Had 2 glass, the first poured into a tall pils glass a clear copper amber color with very little head. The second pour was into a snifter and did have a slight tan head. Aroma is that of sour cherries and slight acidic notes, very minimal aroma with some sweetness. Medium/light mouthfeel with slight carbonation. Slightly boozy. Cherry taste with white wine characteristics. Woody. The Brett is pretty subdued, may be interesting how time treats this. Easy drinking but with all the craziness over this in MN, I'm really note sure if it deserves the hype.

12-10-2010 23:59:31 | More by kbutler1
grittybrews

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a deep ruby-amber into a pint glass with a finger of fluffy white head. Somewhat polite aroma of sour cherry and a hint of vinegar.

Fairly generous carbonation and full, light mouthfeel. Sour cherry up front with a hint of malty sweetness that develops into a more tart sourness on the lingering finish. Just a hint of the more funky notes.

Not the most complex of sour brews, but really delicious and very drinkable. I bought several bottles to age, but was lucky enough to find this on tap at the Parkway in Tacoma. Already a great beer, and I can't wait to see how it develops.

12-03-2010 02:51:09 | More by grittybrews
barleywinefiend

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Poured a orangish color with good carbonation at first but shortly fell flat

S: Sour, wild and tart cherries mostly

T: Tart of course but its dominated by fresh, wild cherries, sour and unripe cherries, vinegar, wood, Earth

M: Tart, medium body, light booze sting and acidic

D: Good for the style and easy to drink.

12-01-2010 02:02:50 | More by barleywinefiend
djbreezy

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

On-tap at Portland pub for release day. Also bought 3 bottles for cellaring.

appearance - flat, transparent brown, carbonation only noticeable if you swish the glass

smell - cherries, faint oak, big funk

taste - tart cherries, funk/brett, alcohol

mouthfeel - light/medium body, low carbonation, oily

drinkability - flavorful but seems flat, not too sour, not ready for prime consumption yet, eager to see how the bottles do in the recommended 18 mos of aging

11-19-2010 23:52:06 | More by djbreezy
boMD

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

A Back Log Rating... From a tap handle, this poured into a snifter looking foggy, reddish with an off white head that created a ring around the glass throughout the whole brew. Aroma of wine-like characters and almost lambic in nature. Really thick palate that filled and expanded nicely in the mouth. This brown style had a little more bitterness and darker malt notes than its Red counterpart, and it seemed the wild yeast really did a nice job. You could taste a hint of barley-grains in the finish.

10-27-2010 20:34:14 | More by boMD
elliot23

Montana

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Finally! I had the chance to try this one. 2008 on draft.

A. Appearance is of a deep orange. Slight amber tinge to this one. Looks really nice. Small amount of head with some decent lacing.

S. Sour fruits for sure! Apricots, cherries, a little vinegar. A little nose of yeast, oak, and vanilla in there somewhere. This one is quite plethora of awesomeness.

T. Mmmm, warming. A full punch of sour cherry, funk, apricot, caramel. There is definitely some brett in there somewhere, very nice. As it warms up some vinegar and cranberry slide through.. interesting.

M. Very nice lingering flavors and tingle in the mouth. You can really feel the age with this one. Nice and crisp. Kinda dry as well.

D. I could sip this one all day long. Of course I would be slammed after 405 glasses. No notice of the alcohol until the glass is empty. Super balanced and easy to down. Can't wait for the next release.

07-13-2010 01:42:31 | More by elliot23
Photo of

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

On tap at Bond St. Brewpub in Bend, OR

Appearance is dark, murky brown with a large finger of head. Some lacing was present throughout.

Smell was strawberries, lemon, grapefruit. Not as much brett as I would've liked but it's definitely there.
Taste is of raspberry, straberry, sweet wine and a good amount of sour. Some funk, just enough to balance the sweetness. Very well rounded, one of the few high abv beers I would describe as refreshing.

07-12-2010 03:52:42 | More by
stawn

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

2008 vintage on draft at Churchill's.

A - Brought to my table in a snifter with an inch of creamy off white head. Ruby, copper in color leaving layers of noticeable lace with each sip.

S - Smell is of mild funk, bits of sweet tart and caramel

T - Taste is surprisingly mild, yet intensely complex. Slightly tart followed by apricot and caramel. Finishing very creamy with multiple flavors dancing on your tongue.

M - I didn't have this fresh, so I can't compare, but after a year and a half this is a very mellow, creamy delicious creation.

D - As a fairly recent n00b to sours, this could easily be a gateway beer to the style. Very mild, yet intriguing with every sip. I'd like to have this again...and again

03-09-2010 04:51:10 | More by stawn
DiabolikDUB

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On Tap at Bailey's Taproom in PDX.

The color is an brownish red with a very light head. The lacing that this beer leaves on the glass is just amazing... It smells of very sweet fruits and slight sourness. The taste is extremely tart raspberries and sour apple. Dissident has a very thin light body which makes it extremely easy to drink. I truly enjoyed this gem.

04-30-2009 22:41:49 | More by DiabolikDUB
abecall98

Had this baby on tap at Sac Brew

A - looked amber-like, with a very light head(poured into a 4 oz. taster).

S - Oh boy, this beer had such a sour sour smell, it made my mouth water. Excellent aroma. I could smell sour grapes, almost like a very rich fresh wine.

T - This beer is good. Very sour, very tart, tangy, and makes your lips smack. I could tell there are tons of flavors in this, I could not pinpoint them.

M - very acidic, and crisp. Just what you expect from a nice champagn, only from a very fine beer.

D - not sure if I could nurse a whole bottle, or even a pint of this baby. The sour is very strong, and I feel that after too much, would ruin the beer near the end. I will have to try it from a bomber and review that to see if I am right.

Deschuttes keepes bringing out amazing brews. Keep up the good work.

02-26-2009 18:01:25 | More by abecall98
funkinsk8

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

I was excited to try this on tap. I've had it out of the bottle, and it was great. I'm a draft guy. I had a 5oz. pour in a small goblet.

A-slightly cloudy, very little head retention. No lacing at all.
Medium brown/light amber color

S-Very strong smells of oak and alcohol. Some fruit smells lurking in the background. Cherries? Raspberries? Both? Sweet and phenolic.

T-Complex wood character with a sour that isn't overpowering. The fruit on the nose really come out. Sourish to start with a mellow sweetness that kinda grows on you.

M-Coats your tongue and cheeks. You can still taste the sour fruits a full minute after you swallow. Full body feel with a light body taste if that makes any sense at all.

D-When i had it in the bottle it was 5 of us just barely getting a taste. This time I could have as much as I wanted. Although the 11% ABV comes through on the nose and in the taste I could have a pour before dinner and two after.
Delicious. Simply Delicious.

02-17-2009 06:39:36 | More by funkinsk8
johnmichaelsen

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap today at the Moon and Sixpence in Portland.

The beer pours a honey red color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose.... sigh. I could easily mistake this beer for a Belgian Red Flanders. There is a huge aroma of wet blanket, barnyard, sweet and sour, and dead moose. Jeeze Loueeze!!! Alas, the flavors on the palate perfectly replicate the nose, and this is without doubt one of the most authentic domestically brewed red flanders, oud bruin beers I've ever come across. The beer is at most medium bodied and I guess drinkability is pretty good. The alcohol is certainly well disguised, but how can you call a beer that smells and tastes like this "drinkable?"

Absolutely disgusting stuff.... Deschutes should be ashamed of themselves for making something like this. Very, very impressive....

12-27-2008 02:18:21 | More by johnmichaelsen
Wetpaperbag

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Had this in a proper chalice. The head is a wonderful two fingers what didn't stay to play for too long. The beer is a dark red/brown color. The head is a mix of tight and loose bubbles, but great aroma, speaking of which moving on.

S- The cherries are the star here. I had this in the bottle but out of the tap its just better. The sour acid smell is there, but the cherry is more well rounded from the tap.

T- From the tap this is just better. The taste is very balanced with a good flavor of cherries and bitterness. The sourness is there and is a great compliment to the cherries. The sour acid taste completely covers the tongue. I taste almost a sort of chocolate with this. It is very subtle, but there. I think this is much better on tap.

M- Feels good in the mouth, nice sour taste puckers your tongue for sure, but it keeps your taste buds craving more.

D- Easy to drink, definitely worth sipping. Its fun to see how this beer changes as the beer warms.

10-19-2008 20:34:49 | More by Wetpaperbag
athensbeermaster

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Had this brew on tap at the Sacramento brew Co.
They just tapped the keg and it tasted so fresh with lush dark fruits, plums,dark cherries, and a hint of ripe granny smith apples. The mouthfeel was so rich I didn't notice the high alcohol level. The drinkabilty was very smooth.
This flanders ale was not as complex as some other beers I've tried but was a welcome treat to have with my meal. Once again Deschutes comes thru with a tasty brew!

10-11-2008 05:00:13 | More by athensbeermaster
Onibubba

Kentucky

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

A clear red tinged mahogony / tawny port appearance. Slight dusting of cream colored head that did not last. Smell and taste are both very reminiscent of Rodenbach Grand Cru and, to a lesser degree, Duchesse. Best descriptor I can give is an Imperial Rodenbach Grand Cru. The aspect of this beer that is most amazing to me, would have to be the ABV. How on earth can this be 11%? The strength of this beer is simply buried by the craftsmanship involved. Quite drinkable, limited only by your tolerance for sweet sours. Most enjoyable.

10-01-2008 18:58:40 | More by Onibubba
abfraser

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

On tap at CBS in SF. Picked up a few bottles too, so may edit this as I get into those over time.

A: A nice deep mahogany, not much of a head

S: Sweet tart cherries. Pleasant sourness

T: Awesome. A wonderful fruity flemish sour. Prominent tart fruit. Refreshing

M: Great acidity. This one goes down great.

D: Just about as drinkable as they come. I really can't believe this thing is 11% abv.

Truly an awesome beer. I'd put it up against the best Belgians out there.

09-26-2008 04:24:55 | More by abfraser
GoreStorm

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

beautiful ruby-brown color with a large puffy head.

sour and sweet smell

the flavor is the same, a bit of dark fruit. very good. i hope to find more of this stuff.

i could see this becoming a bit viscous and whatever, but i only had one and could see drinking this often.

the 11 percent alcohol doesn't come through that strong for me. delicious and deceptive.

09-22-2008 21:51:06 | More by GoreStorm
IgotsHops

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

This was amazing. Gorgeous nut brown with lace and very clear. Begged to be consumed. Smelled sour, with brown sugar and fig. Tasted the sourness upfront, but backed with a solid sweetness of brown sugar, fig, some dark and red fruit, toasty malt, and buscuity malt.
The flavors and carbonation danced around on the tongue, and the layers of flavor kept changing. The mouthfeel was exceptionally balanced with carbonation and viscosity of the beer. Smooth, crisp, warming, and intriguing.
I felt like I was drinking this all night, and not being conservative, but I didn't even finish my snifter. Oddly enough, I felt totally satisfied.
One of the best beers I've ever had.

09-15-2008 19:23:37 | More by IgotsHops