2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

The DissidentThe Dissident

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012

(Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Ratings: 895 | Reviews: 419 | Show All Ratings:
Mahlik

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev -4%

On-tap at Deschutes PDX Pub. Poured into Deschutes snifter glass. 2010 vintage.

A - Pours a clear ruby red with no head. No lacing either. However, it's a very attractive beer.

S - Sour cherries give off a noticeable tartness. Vinegar and yeasty funk give this beer a sour kick. Some oak notes come out. A medicinal aroma hangs in the background. Some alcohol hits the nose.

T - Tart cherries, yeasty funk, vinegar, oak and lactic sourness all hit the palate. This one is more sour than tart.

M - Light-medium body with a creamy feel. Above average amount of carbonation that only slightly pricks the tongue. Finishes dry with an acidic sourness.

O - Enjoyed this beer but I don't think it's amazing. I've had plenty of sours that bring a lot more to the table than this beer. Definitely worth a try though. If I wasn't used to drinking Russian River and Cascade sours on a semi-regular basis, I'd probably rate this beer much higher.

12-31-2011 19:32:17 | More by Mahlik
Holland

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

A: looks a beautiful red/orange/amber color with a tan head that goes away to leave a very small ring.

S: smells of apple, pear, maybe citrus, and a slight hint of booze.

T: tastes of sweetness, apple, pear, sourness, and bitterness on the back end.

M: very nice mouthfeel, it's smooth and shifts to crisp with the change in the glass. Nice.

O: good beer, I'd have it again. It's really one of my first sours, so I'm likely not capturing the intricacies of the beer.

11-14-2011 00:49:21 | More by Holland
ehammond1

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Dark ruby with a thin khaki head. Dots of lacing left down the glass.

A welcoming aroma consisting of sweet cherries, mild vinegar, some stinging sourness, and a hint of oak.

The flavor doesn't succeed quite as admirably as the aroma. The sweet cherries and mild sourness are present and enjoyable, though there's a wet cardboard flavor throughout. Not one of my favorites, though I would drink it again.

Medium mouthfeel.

Not my favorite within the style. A sweet Flanders Oud Bruin, though there's also an unappealing wet cardboard flavor throughout.

09-25-2011 16:56:31 | More by ehammond1
flannelman808

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

A: Orange amber in color topped off with just off white head. Great lacing and pretty good clarity.

S: Sour lemon and hints of metal shavings.

T: Lots of funky spicy flavors meld with oxidized cherries and overripe strawberry. Subtle fruity tartness with a touch of acetic acid (acetone/shoe polish like).

M: Prickly

O: I'm thinking this has some potential to age into something nice but I think it will take 3-5 years to do so.

09-22-2011 00:43:46 | More by flannelman808
BdubleEdubleRUN

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

2010 On-tap at Beachwood BBQ. Pours a very murky brown with a golden red tint. The head is about a finger high of off white foam with exploding pin bubbles. Pretty attractive brew. The nose is instant sour tartness up front with cherry, banana and oak aroma's following. The taste has a very pleasant slight smokiness to it and is dominated but tart fruits, mainly cherry. It has very good carbonation with a medium body, tart tingle and some heat from the alcohol. Been searching this out for awhile and I'm glad I got some.

09-12-2011 00:58:27 | More by BdubleEdubleRUN
CuttDeez

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

On Tap into the tastign glass at SAVOR

A - A good rubby red body with a large foamy head and strong lacing - It looks bubbly and well carbinated.

S - Funky funk - Oaky Oak - and cherries. A great combination of all three and they play nicely together.

T & M & D - The taste has an awesome level of funk to it, the fruits have good tart characteristics without being overly tart and sour. The beer gets nicely oaky on the back end. The whole taste is very well balanced in my opinion and it finishes so smooth becasue of the oak in the back. Great mouthfeel because of a medium light body and great carbination. Very very drinkable.

O - One of my favorites at SAVOR - nuff said

-Cheers

08-06-2011 22:26:23 | More by CuttDeez
DavoleBomb

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

08 vintage on tap at City Beer Store. Poured into a fluted glass.

3.5 A: Opaque amber brown color. Came with a small, frothy beige head. Retention wasn't too great and little lacing was left.

4.0 S: Funky and more tart than sour. Lots of fruitiness with focus on cherry, plum, and maybe some grape and peach as well. Earthy, dank funkiness.

4.5 T: Again, good funky - earthy, sweat sock type funkiness. Lots of cherry, plum, and tangy lactic acid fruitiness. Moderate tannic astringency. Light oak and a decent amount of vanilla.

4.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Pleasantly creamy and super smooth.

4.5 D: Really tasty and certainly good with some age on it. I went back for another glass.

06-20-2011 03:52:28 | More by DavoleBomb
Chriscrundwell12

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured on draft into a 10 oz snifter

A- ½ finger head that dissipated right away, orange/brown very clear appearance, nice lacing.
S- Brett up front right away, definitely funky, wild yeast, nice earthy sour notes, vinegar as well as slight sweetness.
T- Very tasty, well balanced sourness, spicy, wild funk to it, taste barn yard funkiness and sour tart cherries
M- Medium mouth feel coats the palate, slight carbonation, very dry aftertaste.
O- Was excited to try this one on tap at the Happy Gnome for MN Craft Beer Week, very good, complex, delicious, very nice funky sour beer, was a bit of a sipper for me, alcohol was present but did not take away from the experience. Solid offering from Deschutes.

05-23-2011 06:35:30 | More by Chriscrundwell12
CanisLupis

Alaska

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

A Flemish brown with an all around sour flavor - in the nose, the taste, and the finish it's sour. Wild cherries obviously come to mind.
As far as sours go, this probably is one of the easiest to stomach for the masses. All and all, a very enjoyable beer with cheese or berries.

05-19-2011 04:34:35 | More by CanisLupis
emmasdad

Colorado

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

After missing this one in bottles (didn't have the right connections at the time) I finally got to try it on tap. Poured a reddish-amber color with a moderately full light brown head. Very funky, sour and tart, with aromas of juicy cherries and brett. On the palate, light bodied, with flavors of tart cherries, red wine, brett and a little caramel. Very tart and acidic.

05-12-2011 03:33:16 | More by emmasdad
Gatch

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

On-tap at Papago Brewing Company in Scottsdale, AZ for the Deschutes Base Camp Week event.

This is by far the best I've had of the style. Granted, I haven't had too many, but I thought I just wouldn't like this style because of the versions I've had. Since this was from Deschutes, one of the most consistent breweries in the nation in my opinion, I decided to give this a try.

Copper color with no head.Sour and sweet, smooth, and nothing dominates as a stand out flavor. Not too sour and not the typical smell and taste of sweaty feet. The smell is pungent and bitter as is the taste, but it finishes so well.

Highly recommended.

04-09-2011 21:39:36 | More by Gatch
trevorjn06

Washington

This is the 4th time I have had this beer.
Color is amber/copper with one finger of tan head that recedes slowly, no lacing.
Aroma is very light toasted malt, some caramel, tart cherries and hints of oak.
Taste is interesting. Begins with malt and hop bitterness, hints of toasted caramels and a wee bit of cherry. This moves into acidity with fruitiness and oaky/vanilla flavors. It finishes with tartness, oak and hop bitterness. VERY drinkable for a 10% beer.
Mouthfeel it medium with medium carbonation.
Overall this beer is very drinkable and good, but not amazing. There is a bit too much hops bitterness and body, not enough sour for my taste. I know the high ABV makes it hard for bugs to sour this beer but lower ABV and more sourness would have been a plus to me.

03-25-2011 22:05:33 | More by trevorjn06
jethrodium

3.53/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft at Beer Revolution. 2010 batch. Pours a reddish amber with a ring of white head around the outside of the glass. Leaves some small spots of lacing when swirled. The aroma is very oaky with strong cherries. A decent amount of vinegar comes through as well as a little bit of red wine, a little bit of mineralness and just a hint of alcohol. I don't really get any of the funk usually associated with brett. The initial taste is sweet with some lactic acid which goes into strong oak and cherries, as well as some tannic, red wine. The finish is very acetic. Not much alcohol in the taste. Light bodied. Medium-low carbonation. Pretty astringent. Overall, I was a little disappointed in this beer. It is really dominated by oak and vinegar.

03-24-2011 04:34:06 | More by jethrodium
Jmoore50

Nevada

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

This is currently on draft at my place of employment. When the keg was first tapped I didn't really dig it that much. We sat on the keg and tapped it about two months later. I liked it better on the second tapping.

The appearance for this one is a nice light amber-red color that has an amazing clarity to it. It can be poured with a crisp white head, but it doesn't really stick around for long. They must have filtered this because it has an amazing look to it.

The smell is strong with cherries, but even more with vinegar and balsamic. It has a strong, tart, and sour smell that is pretty pronounced.

Noting this as a Flanders Oud Bruin is only somewhat accurate. It has some balsamic vinegar notes as well as a nice musty cherry taste as well. It is somewhat dry, but has an unique medicinal flavor that I associate with certain types of Brett. Pretty interesting tastes and this is where I start getting curious about the keg vs bottle differences.

It is a nice sipper, something that goes down pretty easily. Its just the right amount of sour and challenges the palate. I was hoping for something mind blowing and was a bit let down. I would trade this for last years Black Butte XXII.

03-06-2011 02:07:41 | More by Jmoore50
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

What a vibrant orange color, looks like an awesome ipa! A little amount of head to it, no lace. Great sour aroma, cherries, orange, oak.

Taste, wasn't the sour bomb I was expecting, balanced I guess, tartness and sour is there, but I wouldn't describe it as dry. Hides the alcohol quite nicely, aspect of vanilla in there.

Would love to try this again, had a bit of a stomach virus when I had this, and it took away from the overall enjoyment I suspect. A little pricey.

02-22-2011 17:49:34 | More by Beerandraiderfan
herman77

3.78/5  rDev -10%

Review from notes on 12/10/10. On tap at Pracna

A: Reddish brown with a very small white head. No lacing.

S: A bit sour with tart cherries and a bit of funkiness to it.

T: Sour with more tart cherries and sour green apple. A touch of carmel maltiness. The finish has an olive juice like taste, very odd, but surprising good.

M: Medium to lighter body, moderate carbonation. Very slick feeling.

D: More of a sipper and you definitely gotta be in the mood for this one. A 10 ounce pour was enough for me.

12-24-2010 00:01:42 | More by herman77
notsoprobeer

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Dark golden orange in color with a white head (that was almost gone by the time it was brought to the table). Aroma of cherries, light acid, and a mild "funk" (it's hard to describe). Overall, an unusual, but nice aroma! Flavor of tart cherries and oak. Hops were not really noticeable amongst the other flavors. Light to medium bodied with light carbonation. It had a smooth and creamy mouth feel, which surprised me because I expected a high "pucker" factor. Although it's 11% ABV, the taste of the alcohol was completely masked by the flavors and the sour sensation. Overall, very drinkable.

I'm a newbie to the world of sour beer and I loved The Dissident. I wish I picked up an extra bottle to cellar when I had the chance. I wonder how this will taste after aging for a year or two. Hopefully, we won't have to wait two years for the next release of The Dissident. But if we do, I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

12-19-2010 08:18:23 | More by notsoprobeer
woemad

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

From notes. Pint served on-tap at Hill's in Spokane for $6 as Eastern Washington mounted an improbable comeback against North Dakota State and won in overtime, advancing to the 1-AA semifinals. Go Eagles!

Poured a reddish brown that took on an almost raspberryish hue when held up to the light. Very little head, and what there was disappeared fairly quickly, but I didn't expect much given the style and alcoholic potency.

Big nose on this one. Tart cherries, figs, pears, vinegar, a little bit of oakiness and a whiff of farmhouse funk.

Not as sour tasting tasting as I was expecting, though the fruity sweetness I noticed in the scent was pretty well bulldozed as well. While there are some sour elements, the most overriding flavor characteristic was a pucker-inducing tartness. Vinegar flavors were present, but with a low enough intensity that they melded well with the tart, fruit flavors. No hop flavor to speak of, probably the first time I've ever found that to be the case when drinking a beer from Deschutes.

Medium bodied, with a prickly yet coating mouthfeel.

Definitely not a session beer, but very pleasing on a stand-alone basis. This would probably make a good counterpoint to an overly sweet dessert. If you dig tart, Belgian-style beers, this is a good choice.

12-17-2010 19:58:54 | More by woemad
tewaris

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

On tap at Pracna on the Main, as part of their Deschutes December event. Served in a Deschutes snifter. I could try this beer only because of the generosity of the manager Meagen (chixdighops) and her boyfriend, and some luck. Thanks guys for letting me have the last drink of the sixtel!

Appearance 4/5
Brilliantly clear, deep rusty red hued with a tiny collar and some lacing.

Aroma 3.5/5
Funky and fruity, typical sour brown but nothing too exciting. Some sweet alcohol too.

Taste 3.5/5
Lightly tart and fruity with an unfitting bitterness/astringency towards the end.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Smooth and light bodied with medium carbonation.

Drinkability 4/5
Good.

Other
I don't get the hype. Hugely underwhelming. I will not part with anything that I can't get off the shelves for this beer.

12-14-2010 13:58:06 | More by tewaris
Hempdigler

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Today (12/10/10) I have climbed to the pinnacle of Mt. Beerdom. I have finally sipped my first taste of the much acclaimed Deschutes Dissident.
Just hours after the oldest restaurant on the oldest street in Minneapolis "Pracna on Main" tapped one of two kegs in the state I took my first sip into the "good-ass beer" subculture. Deschutes clearly sits high atop the throne of Beerdom and today was the day I became a citizen of that world.

I was expecting a good old pint of beer, but what I received was a snifter specially made for Deschutes Dissident. The waitress presented the golden brown and lightly rose colored snifter of heaven to me with a smile that told me she knew what I was about to experience. At first glance Dissident hardly looks like a beer, there was no head in the glass and there are only a touch of bubbles floating from the bottom of the glass. If it wasn't for the big Deschutes logo on the side of the glass I would have thought it was cognac.

Convinced I had beer in front of me proceeded nose first to give the beer a good sniff. The sweet smell of fermented cherries filled my nostrils. I hadn't had a cherry beer in ten years, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I don't remember enjoying the beer much either but my tastes have evolved much since those days.

I tilted the snifter further back to my lips ready to enjoy this beer that has been the buzz of the BA forums for months. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. It was like a mix of a brown lager and cherry wine. I took all the restraint I had to drink it moderately. I knew it was a strong beer I believe around 10% alcohol. I could feel the wine taste leaving the undersides of my tongue dry begging for another sip. The after taste reminded me of the slight oak taste often described of many aged wines.

I also sampled a few other Deschutes creations while at Pracna, Obsidian, Jubelale. I must say this is definitely the most original beer I ever tasted, and the most standout I tasted that night. I will be back next week to sample it yet again and The Abyss they are tapping Thursday (12/16/10).

12-13-2010 20:39:02 | More by Hempdigler
BretSikkink

Mexico

4.45/5  rDev +6%

In this corner, weighing in at 10.5% alcohol by volume and 30 international bittering units, a sour Flanders Oud Bruin hailing from Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon: The Dissident. [Raucous cheering]

One of my favorite styles, this Oud Bruin has it all for me: a deep brown color, dark malty depth of body, vinegar notes of wild Brett yeast, and Washington cherry bittersweetness.

Poured into a tulip glass at Papago, the tapped brew had no head whatsoever, just a bubble or two here and there. The copper-mahogany color more than makes up for it, looking both formidable and inviting. The nose provides further enticement, with plenty of fruit notes, both sweet and sour. A hint of the wild yeast is apparent as well as a slight hint towards the red wine barrel-aging as a vinous character emerges.

The Dissident is simply spectacular. Balanced but assertive, the alcohol heat is remarkably well-hidden behind a wall of flavors. The sour, wild nature is readily apparent, but the massive flavors from the malt and cherries, rounded out by barrel aging, come together so nicely. This is presumably from the brand-new, November 2010 release, so this keg was less than a month old and snappier than hell. If you find a bottle, buy it; if you see it on draft, order two. Silly-drinkable for this style, and silky smooth all around.

12-12-2010 19:44:25 | More by BretSikkink
nataku00

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Since I haven't been able to get a bottle here in the Bay Area, I had to make a trip to try it when I saw it was on tap locally.

2010 keg of The Dissident on tap at City Beer in SF, poured into a tulip glass. Slightly hazy reddish brown beer with just a little white foam right at the surface of the beer. Some carbonation visible through the beer, and I could see shadows through the beer as well so it's not too opaque.

Nose is sour cherries, vinegar acidity, and soft oak. Some raspberry sweetness as well.

Taste is light sour cherry puckering, sweet red berries, and vanilla from oak. Flavor is a bit muted compared to the nose, unfortunately. While good, just not as strong as I was hoping.

Medium bodied beer with just a gentle carbonation, slippery and slightly syrupy. Fairly drinkable glass of beer as the sour is not too strong, not lingering too long on the tongue, making it very easy to drink, but better to sip slowly.

12-11-2010 22:28:07 | More by nataku00
kbutler1

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft. Sampled on 12/10/10 at Pracna on Main. Had 2 glass, the first poured into a tall pils glass a clear copper amber color with very little head. The second pour was into a snifter and did have a slight tan head. Aroma is that of sour cherries and slight acidic notes, very minimal aroma with some sweetness. Medium/light mouthfeel with slight carbonation. Slightly boozy. Cherry taste with white wine characteristics. Woody. The Brett is pretty subdued, may be interesting how time treats this. Easy drinking but with all the craziness over this in MN, I'm really note sure if it deserves the hype.

12-10-2010 23:59:31 | More by kbutler1
grittybrews

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a deep ruby-amber into a pint glass with a finger of fluffy white head. Somewhat polite aroma of sour cherry and a hint of vinegar.

Fairly generous carbonation and full, light mouthfeel. Sour cherry up front with a hint of malty sweetness that develops into a more tart sourness on the lingering finish. Just a hint of the more funky notes.

Not the most complex of sour brews, but really delicious and very drinkable. I bought several bottles to age, but was lucky enough to find this on tap at the Parkway in Tacoma. Already a great beer, and I can't wait to see how it develops.

12-03-2010 02:51:09 | More by grittybrews
barleywinefiend

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Poured a orangish color with good carbonation at first but shortly fell flat

S: Sour, wild and tart cherries mostly

T: Tart of course but its dominated by fresh, wild cherries, sour and unripe cherries, vinegar, wood, Earth

M: Tart, medium body, light booze sting and acidic

D: Good for the style and easy to drink.

12-01-2010 02:02:50 | More by barleywinefiend