The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
Reviews: 451 | Hads: 1,148
4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

I was lucky enough to get a bomber of this from ampzilla. Much obliged good sir.

Pours a hazy light ruby color with a one-finger off-white head. The head dissipates pretty quickly into a wispy layer of bubbles on top and a medium-sized ring around the glass. There's some lacing.

Smells very good. Cherries, raspberries, and blackberries with a mild funk from the wild yeast. There's also a slightly tart aroma that grows as the beer warms.

Tastes great. Like the smell, there are cherry, raspberries, and blackberry flavors that are as much sweet as they are tart. The taste is very balanced. There's absolutely no indication of the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is good. The thickness is just right, and the carbonation is not too much nor too little.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass entirely too quickly, and would have had another had I not split the bottle with a friend. This goes down very easily.

Overall I'm impressed with this. The beer certainly lives up to the hype, and it's definitely worth a shot. Thanks again to ampzilla for passing this along. (1,067 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance- An aggressive pour only yields a finger and a half of head that dissipates quickly. The lacing is decent, but nothing earth shattering. The beer itself is a very pretty mahogany/amber mix that turns into a watery, fire orange when held to light.

Smell- Brett, cherries and blackberries. The cherries aren't extremely tart, more mellow, sweet and smooth. The sweetness is something you'd find in a powdery candy or a Sparks. That funky sweet that the brett brings to the table is pretty fantastic. I get medicinal, barnyard and sweet cherries all at the same time. It's a nice blend.

Taste- The taste starts with a very noticeable medicinal quality that quickly transitions into dark cherries that aren't nearly as sweet as the nose, and finishes tart with some heat. The cherry flavor that lingers is much more true than the cherry I get while drinking. The sweetness that comes in the middle is almost more tart strawberry and orange juice than cherry. I get apple notes, both red and green, and a flavor that reminds me a mimosas. The more I drink, the more apple I get. There is a bit of graininess to it all, as well. The sourness is extremely tame, in my opinion, and the alcohol seems to be fucking up the melding of flavors. I think this beer suffers from trying to do it all. It wants to show off the Brett, it wants to be tart from the cherries, and it wants to have a higher abv than normal. What it actually accomplishes is a clusterfuck of flavors that taste good together, but not great.

Mouthfeel- A good amount of carbonation, let's say medium, and a fairly full body. My tongue feels like it's drinking something really tart, even though it isn't. A lot of the better flavors linger on the tongue. There is a faint chocolate/toffee-ness to the cherries that linger on my tongue that I really enjoy.

Drinkability- This is my fourth go round with this beer out of the bottle, and again, I'm disappointed. It goes down easy, but the flavors get a bit obnoxious at points.The combination of flavors just don't get along as well as they could have. I credit Deschutes for trying one of my favorite styles, but I think the hype machine will sell much more of this beer than quality will (and that's coming from a guy who plans to trade his last bottle). I think some age will reform this beers taste a great deal, but unfortunately, I'm far too broke to wait it out. I get to have it on tap in a few weeks. I hope it right some of its wrongs. (2,469 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Had this in a proper chalice. The head is a wonderful two fingers what didn't stay to play for too long. The beer is a dark red/brown color. The head is a mix of tight and loose bubbles, but great aroma, speaking of which moving on.

S- The cherries are the star here. I had this in the bottle but out of the tap its just better. The sour acid smell is there, but the cherry is more well rounded from the tap.

T- From the tap this is just better. The taste is very balanced with a good flavor of cherries and bitterness. The sourness is there and is a great compliment to the cherries. The sour acid taste completely covers the tongue. I taste almost a sort of chocolate with this. It is very subtle, but there. I think this is much better on tap.

M- Feels good in the mouth, nice sour taste puckers your tongue for sure, but it keeps your taste buds craving more.

D- Easy to drink, definitely worth sipping. Its fun to see how this beer changes as the beer warms. (971 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

I received this today in a trade with srandycarter (thanks!) and just could not resist the urge to pop it open.

Poured from a 22 oz. mahogany waxed bomber into a snifter.

Appears a nice looking red-brown with a half inch light tan head. It sinks down to a skim and leaves some patchy lacing on the glass.

Aroma has some sweet malty tones but there is an enticing sour funk to it that is characteristicly Brett. The cherries can definitely be detected, though they blend well and are not in the forefront. Some light vinous notes as well. I think I even detect some faint bubble gum esters way in the back too.

Right when the beer hits the taste buds there is a soft sweetness but right when I start to swallow the Brett appears with a deliciously refreshing tartness. The cherries reappear to bring out some more fruitiness as the tartness lingers. It finishes nice and dry with the tartness gradually subsiding.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, very soft, with a good level of carbonation for the style. It's very hard to believe this stuff is 11% ABV as there is no trace of alcohol whatsoever.

This beer was delicious. I haven't had a great deal of sours to compare it to but I highly enjoyed this beer. Many thanks to Randy for giving me the chance to try this wonderful concoction. (1,291 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11-16-12 Bumping up my scores based on my most recent bottle, an absolute delight. A sour/tart tour de force

Pours an effervescent caramel/chestnut with a bit of sand colored head. You can certainly hear the carbonation! Some lacing & average head retention

S: Sourness & horse blanket, fades as this warms

T: Vinegar tartness, some raspberry & dirt up front, plus green apples. Some caramel starts fighting through the green apple sourness as this warms, plus more raspberry tartness, white mushrooms are also there as well, with more dryness & a bit of toffee as well. Finishes dry tart & with a nice raspberry twang, plus more green apples,& caramel. The tartness fading at the end kind of detracted style-wise

MF: Puckery with light but synergistic carbonation, reminds me of farmhouse dry cider from England or Normandy. Balances well for the style, very sticky at the end. My teeth feel like they are rotting; I'm thinking caramel apples with some twang

The ABV is well disguised, but the tartness & dryness do slow me down a bit. I have a love/hate relationship with this style, this certainly skews more towards of the love side of the beer spectrum. Well done, deschutes! sour beer freaks may find this wanting, but I enjoyed this quite a bit (1,257 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

2008 vintage (1st year offered). Pours a half finger of light brown head over a hazed reddened brown liquid. Smells oak, acetic, lactic, fresh lether, mild smoke, some buttery pediococcus, sharp alcohol with mild fusel character, woody driness, sun-dried cherries.

Tastes lactic and acetic sour balanced by a prominent sweet. The malt carries a cherry, crabapple, and raspberry flavor that is delectible. Oak is much milder in the flavor than the aroma. Bit of a tart circusy finish that leaves the tongue clingy dry and almost makes the teeth sticky dry. Actually, a bit merlot wine-like. Medium body likely helps this beer, as a light body wouldn't be able to hold flvaors on the tongue and a heavier beer would be sticky. Medium carbonation fights the stickiness, while allowing the malt sweet to persist long enough to nearly balance. (839 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Big thanks goes out to the kind trader who sent me this one. I had been dying to try it but shut out at all attempts, glad I could finally succeed at one of them! Twenty Two ounce bottle, dipped in wax and served at cellar temperature in a snifter glass. Consumed on 10/05/2008.

The pour was rather interesting. A deep brown color came through almost immediately but with a more then decent reddish tint to it. Almost completely opaque, I was surprised to be honest with how full this one came off right away. Not really much in the way of a head on the first pour, though the second one produced some decent rise to about a half inch that quickly settled down and relaxed.

The aroma was rather nice, not as tart as I would have liked, but still more then decent. Nice notes of sour cherries, a hint of apple and some figs were all quite big here. There was a nice touch of sweetness built into it though that was subtle enough to offer some nice balance to it. The flavor too was very well done. Rich, and quite complex. Started with an interesting rush of grain, nice and full with a decidedly fruity taste. Light touches of cherries, sour apples, and a hint of almost currant like flavor coming through. Some light hoppiness which really came out of nowhere, but was quickly shunned aside by the sour cherry flavor. Long and drawn out finish was very dry and really let the flavor sit on the tongue, letting you take all of it in. Rich and creamy feel was a little bit bigger then what I would normally associate with the style, but still very nicely done. For 11% this one came out of left field. I would have sworn up and down this was no bigger then 6% until I really started feeling it towards the end.

Overall I would say this was a very solid beer. Not the best sour I have had recently,. But very well balanced and nicely put together. Rich enough to be an all-night sipper for sure. Not a bad release here and I would not be opposed to trying it out again. (1,970 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to Beerzebub for this.

A: Really nice looking brownish red color. Poured with a finger of slightly off white head.

S: A nice subtle mix of sour and sweetness. Cherries are in the back but not that strong.

T: The taste is really nice. A nice blast of sour up front. You really get a hint of the barrel right after that. A nice warming blast of booze after that. The barrel does give it something nice but it cuts down on the sour. A nice earth mustiness in the finish.

M: Rather boring mouthfeel but that is a hallmark of the style.

D: As others have said not as sour as I would have liked. That being said this is a nice beer. Totally american. A barrel aged Flanders? Why not. Definitely glad I got the chance to try this. Thanks again. (749 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

22 oz. bomber, from the BevMo Cypress, drank while watching American Pie,

A: Pours a relatively clear dark amber with a nice one finger white head initially which receded into a nice lace.

S: Brown malt predominately, with some mild acidity, Brett is evident, giving a funky cheese-like note.

T: At a cooler temperature, the dark malt and cherries predominate, the true fermented cherry taste is nice and subtle and plays off the malt and acidity well. Closer to room temperature, the Brett and wild yeast really start to come to the party, offering a soft funkiness reminiscent of a cave-aged Gruyere cheese, it is an intriguing flavour that stays with the brew on each sip. Oak and some astringent wood alkaloid is evident as well, along with a very light hint of vanilla.

M: This beer is very well structured, the acidity is there but soft enough as to not overwhelm the drink, for a complex sour it is very drinkable.

D: This is a very well made beer; I'm not surprised as this is Deschutes we're talking about here. This'll be probably the only bottle I'll have of this unless it gets released again. A very tasty Western sour, I'm glad I bought the bottle. (1,167 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Presentation: 22 oz bomber, capped and waxed. Mine was apparently dipped twice, and was a complete pain in the ass to open. Label is great and distinctive. Date code is not immediately obvious.

Appearance: Pours reddish brown, thin head with just a bit of lacing around the edges.

Smell: Subtle, but pleasant. A bit of brett, some tart cherry aroma.

Taste: Mouthfeel is pretty thin - flavor is the same cherrys and a bit of tartness. A little over carbonated, finishes very tart.

Overall impression: Hmm .. I like sour beers, but something about this doesn't sit too well. The tartness is puckering in the finish, but there isn't enouhg body or flavor to back it up. It's still interesting, but definitely not one of my favorite Flanders' (742 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to my buddy Onslow for this one....

this brew pours up a red amber color with a small off white head. the nose has a slight sour note to it, subtle fruits, apricot maybe. the taste has a slight sourness to it as well, subtle sweetness, fruits again, some citrus. medium bodied and low carbo.

I'ld like to get my hands on another bottle of this but I think my chances of that are rather bleak. (401 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Chimay glass. 10/13/08. Bottle dipped in red wax. Probably one of the coolest labels I've seen in awhile.

Pours a dark amber-mahogany color with about a finger of reddish-beige head. The head slowly dropped to a thin layer, no lacing. Aroma is tart and sour, with cherry, sour apple, grapes, and a bit of fig.

Taste is very similar to the aroma. Tart, sour, fruity, malty. Cherry, green apple, grapes, other darker fruits, pepper and spices. Somewhat of a red wine flavor to it, and slight oak. No alcohol noticeable in the taste. Tastes really good.

Feel is medium-body with ample carbonation. Very, very dry finish. Drinkability is really good. It's not too sour or tart, and the alcohol is hidden really well. The bottle was empty before I knew it.

Overall, a really tasty brew. I'm no expert on the style, and I'm not a huge fan of the sour type beers, but I think this one is pretty darn good. I hope they make more beers in this style. (979 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

I picked up a few bottles at Supermarket Liquors in Ft Collins. They went for $10.29 a bottle..

Damn wax.
This pours a clear dark copper colour with a small and quickly shrinking head of foam. Despite the lack of a lot of foam, there's some good lacing.

The smell has a very good pronounced sour nose along with notes of cherries. oak, more dark fruit, and some sweet malt.

The taste has a strong sour cherry flavour up front that's hitting my tastebuds very nicely. More dark fruit flavours pour in and I'm getting some of that Brett funk mixed in along with a light but right for me presence of oak. The more I sip, the more I notice the tartness and what I'm not noticing is the alcohol. Wow. This is 9%?? You could have fooled me because it's an easy drinker.

Mouthfeel is on the low end of medium, the carbonation is light, and it finishes with the cherry sourness and some light funk. Yum. I haven't had a lot of experience with Oud Bruins but Deschutes definitely made this one to my liking. Well done. (1,013 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip wine glass. Strawberry preserves color, with a creamy pink/tan head. Tons of effervescence streaming up from the depths of the glass. Excellent retention and solid films of lacing.

Aroma is chiefly black cherries, with smoldering oak, crabapple, and balsamic vinegar.

An initial sweetish natural plum/cherry juice note is quickly tempered by a rush of winey tannins and fresh brettiness. The alcohol comes through occasionally, but it blends rather well with the other flavors, taking on a cabernet quality. Reasonably complex, but it's a little boozy and young right now. This seems like a perfect candidate for a year of aging before a second sampling. The brett could fully blossom, the booze could mellow out, etc.

Mouthfeel is a little astringent from the wine aging. Good carbonation, very short finish. A very good beer, but not quite a great beer. (878 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

10/11/08- Purchased at Bottle Barn, in Santa Rosa, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, 2008 release. Waxed cap and poured into my Orval chalice.

Appearance- Kind of a filtered apple cider color. A bit ruby red, a bit brown. Small 1/4 inch head, if that with a light rim remaining through the beer. Leaves light watery lace spotting...about the norm for any Oud Bruin I've had.

Smell- Very light nose. Oak is the main flavor, but still not that strong. Cherries, maybe some raspberries and a light earthy nose.

Taste- For an american made Oud Bruin..excellent, for an overall Oud Bruin, better than average. Has a really nice cherry base. It's tart but not too tart. Actually, I would have preffered a bit more sour in the taste. Oak flavor swirls around with cherry as the main flavor. It does have some slight earthy-mushroom-truffle-dirt flavor.

Mouthfeel- The one drawback I have is that it really does not have a lasting mouthfeel of any kind. Once you take a sip the flavor is gone. The carbonation is about right with a light, but sharp and prickly feeling.

Drinkability- One I would buy again, but probably not worth the double digit price tag due due to the hype. Still, a really good job by Dechutes. Almost a great beer. (1,231 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Interesting beer. I haven't had a lot of sours, but I imagine this would be a great 'starter' sour.

It more tart with a hint of sour than a full-on eyebrow-bender. There are some nice dark, fruity flavors up front, with the tartness coming later, & a bit of alcohol warmth, all of which balances the flavor out of hard-core sour territory. The Dissident is bone-dry (I can see the sidebar: "best paired with a glass of water"). The color bears noting, since it's a rather dark red that's also very clear. Strange.

Overall a good beer, & I appreciate Deschutes continually pushing the boundaries of what they're doing, in addition to their excellent standard lineup. Props on them. (684 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

Had this brew on tap at the Sacramento brew Co.
They just tapped the keg and it tasted so fresh with lush dark fruits, plums,dark cherries, and a hint of ripe granny smith apples. The mouthfeel was so rich I didn't notice the high alcohol level. The drinkabilty was very smooth.
This flanders ale was not as complex as some other beers I've tried but was a welcome treat to have with my meal. Once again Deschutes comes thru with a tasty brew! (443 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

I was amazed to find this at the local grocery store right when we moved to Davis, Ca...now i've found it everywhere and im not so amazed, but whatever, its still cool. Pours a deep blood red with a nice white head that settles to a thin film while drinking. Smells of tart cherries, sour malt, a Bretty-funkiness, inviting. Taste is subtle, fruity but with a hint of chocolate malt. Not as tart as the odor suggests, but still a touch. Alcohol present but not overwhelming. A nice mouthfeel, approaching full-bodied, at least in so far as the style allows. A syrupy quality, though not too thick. A well-crafted foray into wild ales for Deschutes. Maybe a beer worth aging too. (678 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to Monsone for this one!

Served in a Duvel glass. Deep red, ruby jewel tone with high clarity. One finger of tan foam initially, that sizzled with an audible crackle against the ear. Spotty bits of lace, but not much. Even the etching in the glass doesn't keep the head from disappearing into a thin ring. Swirling does regenerate it, but it just doesn't retain itself all that well.

Initial first whiff from the bottle was a pleasant funky ripe cheese note. After pouring it seemed to quickly blow off and was replaced by a woody cherry aroma.

Tart and tangy, yogurt like, moderately acidic. Cherry pit, no sweetness from the fruit. Wood and leather in the aftertaste. A spicy tingle from the alcohol. Creamy, with a full body that contributes a pleasant vinous mouthfeel. The finish has a definite tanginess about it, rather than sour.

Rodenbach Grand Cru is still the benchmark to me, although this is in the ballpark. Actually it bears more resemblance to JP La Roja. The potential is there...it just seems to lack an extra degree of complexity that would make it exceptional. Still a successful experiment that I was happy to enjoy. (1,151 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours hazy amber with a ruby hue. A quarter inch head rose up before settling down to a placid surface, with a few errant dots of lacework.

Aromatics hit the nose as soon as the beer goes into the glass, with fruity acid wafting up.
Cherries, red wine, balsamic vinegar, ripe malt, and warming spice. Hints of cinnamon, peppercorns, cedar, sherry, and rhubarb follow through.

Medium bodied, with a lightly prickled mouthfeel, and drying.

Ripe, red fruits, acid, and oaky tannins are supported by a malty base on the palate.
As the brew warms hints of subtle spice step forward. Nutmeg, anise, and Schezuan peppercorns. Plenty of acid without being lactic or sour.

Finishes with cherries, sherry, balsamic, pepper-studded earthy cedar, and warming alcohol.

Wowza. Great beer now, but just wait a few years for this one to really meld, mellow, and complexify. The Pinot Noir barrels add a tremendous depth that is not typically found in Oud Bruins.
The tartness level now is firm, but allows the brew to be very drinkable. I'm curious to see if some cellar time will add much sourness.

Do yourself a favor and let this one warm up to room temperature.

Big ups to BA Urwatuh8 for answering the call once more! (1,215 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

Dana, thanks for the opportunity.

The coloring makes this a striking beer. Creamy head/lacing adds to the table appeal.

While sour beers aren't my fancy, this is a another beer with a tang that is just down right yummy. There is the "dark fruits"...malt, the wine quality and subtle barrel. Everything is so balanced.

The mouthfeel is light and creamy. Drinkability is pretty high. The 11% is well hidden. If I didn't know better, I'd open another bottle. (458 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to RoryGilmore for this bottle.Shared at RoyMunson's house along with FtownThrowDown. Thanks for having me over :)

22oz. brown bomber, maroon waxed, poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a light maroon with an average, lightly tinted head. Some retention and lacing.

S: Plenty of dark juicy fruits. A big of green apple and citrus tartness. The brett doesn't pack a huge punch in the nose. Decent sweet maltiness.

T/M: More of the fruitiness from the nose. Tartness is a bit up as well. The brett starts off pretty average but kicks it up a couple gears as it warms further. The malts are sweet and tasty and help balance things out a big. The barrels add a nice subtle depth. Alcohol is hidden very nicely. Body is about medium with decent carbonation.

D: Pretty easy to drink. The tart and sourness definitely gets up there toward the end but still easy enough to drink. (878 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

I purchased this bottle at BevMo! Cypress thanks to BevMoPatrick1. A Flanders-style brown ale aged for 18 months in Pinot Noir barrels. Or so I was told.

A- Poured from a 22oz waxed dipped bottle into a snifter, The Dissident pours a slightly opaque burgundy color with a very brief effervescent head that settles to a ring along the inside of the glass, leaving some very spotty lacing after each sip.

S- Tart and vinous red wine notes are the primary characteristics of the aroma. In the background there are scents of oak barrel and toasted grain. The alcohol becomes slightly noticeable as the beer hits room temperature.

T- The initial tartness of the taste is combined with dark citrus and berry fruit flavors evocative of red wine. The oak barrel aspect is fairly pronounced as it emerges towards the the clean, dry finish that leaves almost no lingering flavors on the palate save for a mild, almost bitter, woody character. The alcohol is very well-hidden within the flavor profile. Every so often I get the slightest warming sensation on the finish, but I would have guessed that this beer was less than 9% ABV.

M- The feel of this beer is surprisingly silky and smooth, with the carbonation being less aggressive than I expected. It's still nice and lively, but it's very well-integrated into the lush, full-bodied mouthfeel.

D- As I said earlier, The 9% ABV is well-hidden amongst the myriad of flavors contained within this beer. This sits pretty heavy in the stomach, but I enjoyed every drop. (1,516 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a dark burgundy, maroon in color. No head forms on the pour. Smell is dark fruit and some tartness. Smell is very nice. Taste is very dark, ripe fruit. There is a good amount of carbonation and a nice tartness as well. This is a surprisingly very good beer. I went in with a bit of reluctance due to the Abyss, but this is a very solid beer. Very nice and well done. (372 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Crisp burgundy pour with a small tan head. Smell is nice and tart with cherries and granny smith apples, followed by more funk than i expected. Dark fruit and horse blanket finish the complex nose. By far the funkiest flemish red i have ever encountered, and i love it! The taste follows the nose for the most part: Sour cherries and apples, pears, followed by darker, over-ripe berries and plums, finishing with plenty of Brett funk, nicely balancing the sourness up front. More fruit emerges when it warms as the funk slightly subsides. there's some good body to this one with all the funk clinging to the sides of my mouth, but the sour fruit keeps me constantly sipping. this is by far the most complex flemish red ive had so far, and with all the Brett funk, my favorite at this point. (790 characters)

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery