Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

The DissidentThe Dissident

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
Reviews: 452 | Hads: 1,154
4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

Had this baby on tap at Sac Brew

A - looked amber-like, with a very light head(poured into a 4 oz. taster).

S - Oh boy, this beer had such a sour sour smell, it made my mouth water. Excellent aroma. I could smell sour grapes, almost like a very rich fresh wine.

T - This beer is good. Very sour, very tart, tangy, and makes your lips smack. I could tell there are tons of flavors in this, I could not pinpoint them.

M - very acidic, and crisp. Just what you expect from a nice champagn, only from a very fine beer.

D - not sure if I could nurse a whole bottle, or even a pint of this baby. The sour is very strong, and I feel that after too much, would ruin the beer near the end. I will have to try it from a bomber and review that to see if I am right.

Deschuttes keepes bringing out amazing brews. Keep up the good work. (830 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

From a bomber obtained in my first trade.

a=Clear deep amber with a small light tan head that fades to a ring.

s=Nose is tart cherry, malt vinigar with light burnt rubber phenols. Some biscuity brett as the glass warms.

t= Light tart cherries soaked in malt vinigar (notice a pattern). Pleasantly tart. Slightly astringent but not out of style. Very low hop bitterness. No hop flavor.

M= Medium-big bodied. Puckering tartness. Medium carbonation, little more co2 might make the beer appear dryer and make this easier to drink but i'm nit picking.

d= This is a great beer. More tart than the leifmans oud bruin but right on par with the oerbier reservas and other world class examples of this style. (705 characters)

4.15/5  rDev 0%

A - pours a dark ruby red with a frothy white head

S - sour cherries, funk, lemon

T - sour cherries, sour apples, funk, lemon, red wine on the finish, oak and spice

M - moderate to moderately high carbonation, viscous champagne yeast

D - VERY balanced, not too sour, not too funky (284 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

This is one of the best domestically brewed barrel aged sours! It is not quite as fruity as the Flanders beers but this is the closest thing I have tasted to a true Flanders that wasn't. The nose and the palate are loaded with red and dark fruit flavors with some slight spice malts that blance out the fruity flavors. The carbonation is just perfect with a thin fizzy head and really fine bubbles that are almost champagne like. I always look forward to the release of this beer. (480 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -6.7%

Note: Bottle indicates 9% ABV, not 11%.

Pours deep amber to brown with an inch or so of off-white head that recedes somewhat quickly leaving very little lacing behind.

Sourness dominates the aroma, with hints of cherry, berries, overripe fruit, candy and bready yeast.

Flavor is intensely sour and fruity, with loads of cherry flavor and sort of a rasberry sherbert bite on the pallate. Hints of oak barely break through the sourness. Mouthfeel is bubbly and smooth like carbonated juice.

Might be the first beer from Deschutes I did not enjoy, but I do not seem to have a pallate for sour ales, so I've based my scores on my wife's impressions, as she prefers these types of offerings more than I do. (705 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Red, brown, mahogany notes. an off white head that disappeared fast. just gorgeous. great bottle presentation.

S - Apples, lemon, funk. Leather notes.

T - Very complex. Apple and wine notes give way to malt and leather, almost a faint chocolate character. really fantastic.

M - exceptionally smooth. the apple notes linger.

D - this is a fantastic sour. I only hold Consecration higher than this. Really worth seeking out. (432 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Got this one in a trade with EliottJW. Thanks again! Poured into my Troegs pint glass.

Appearance: Ruby red with a big brownish head. Head lingers and never fully disappears. Left some lacing in its wake.

Smell: Big oak and cherry aroma's. Tart. Vinegar.

Taste: Might be the most sour beer I've had so far, at least at the start. As it warms the tartness subsides considerably and a mellow sweetness comes forward, intertwined with a dark fruit character that tastes mostly of cherry's. A little funk mixed with the sourness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with what I'd call medium carbonation. This beer finishes with more of a velvety smoothness than other Oud Bruin's I've had, but I like it. Flavors linger instead of the tartness, which is also different but enjoyable.

Drinkability: No hint of the 9%. If you can survive the initial blast of sour and funk at the beginning, the rest of the slightly warmer bottle is a delight.

Great beer. So glad I started trying sours beers. (983 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Reddish brown color, very small head. Smells like sour fruit, with a bit of malt. I'm not really sure what to compare this too... But i was pleasantly surprised. slight vinegar taste, not too sour. just enough to give it a nice twang. slightly spicy and peppery. Medium carbonation level. the sourness does a nice job of scrubbing the palate. I like this beer. i haven't had too many sours before, so i don't have much to compare it too... but i like it. (454 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Wax-topped bomber poured into a snifter. Have been saving this bottle for a while - my second Dissident but with significant time passing between the first and second.

Beer pours a beautiful mahogany brown, with a small head that dissipates quickly. It exhibits legs with an almost wine-like quality.

This beer is tart! Tartness dominates, with smells of redwine vinegar and especially cherries. There are also raisin and clove notes. The brett is very obvious as well.

The Dissident is complex and changes sip to sip. It is drier than the nose would leave you to believe. Initial flavors consist of a deep, woody quality and dark stone fruits. The sour, vinegar-like flavors along with the tart cherries then kick in. It ends with a pleasant tangy tartness, which becomes more noticeable as the beer warms. A real pleasure.

I dont know that I could, or would want to, drink this beer every night, but it it is a very enjoyable experience. Great nose and complex, sour taste. A fantastic beer and worth checking out. (1,021 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Nice reddish color, not too much head and it fades fairly quickly. Smells nice, but not overly sour. Taste is a little different than I expected. Definite sour aftertaste, but a nice earthy/farmy taste through the middle. A fellow BA says it tastes like a "creature of the farm," but he means that in the best way possible. A solid effort from a great brewery, I can't wait to try it with a little age on it. (408 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

Looks and smells the part but boozy/bitter city with slight tart and slight cherry. Nothing to write home over. 2014 vintage but didn't wait until "enjoy after date." compared to befuddlement this is literally bland and more like a red ale. Not a sour... (255 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to billyhilly for getting me this beer. thanks bro!

2010 vintage

served into tulip

Color: A vibrant maroon colored beer with some haziness at the core. Very nicely carbonated, leaves behind minimal lacing, and it form a finger thick withe head that disappears at a steady pace.

Nose: Big sour cherry smell followed by earthy tones and yeast funk. At the core of this beer hints of oak present themselves along with light spice.

Palate: Mellow sourness immediately makes it self present. The cherries float on the tongue accompanied by what feels like apples and easter like textures.

Finish: Tart and long. Full of an array of flavors and craftmanship. The alcohol is so well masked in this beer that you can barely notice it on the finish. An excellent example of this style of brewing by the folks at Deschutes. Well done! (837 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

2008 vintage tasted at 58F. Pours into my wine tasting glass a beautiful red copper with a nice foamy head. Mild funky sour malt aroma. Delicate body is appropriate to style, but surprising to me, as I usually prefer more 'extreme,' big-bodied beers. Flavor is sour, malty and mildly funky, all three harmoniously merging together. Finishes dry, but no hops bitterness, flavor or aroma are detectable. There is a slight weird smoky or chocolate flavor towards the end. Overall, a sipping beer with the complexity and interest of a fine wine. (541 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber into a Duvel tulip. Much thanks to my buddy impMA in Phx AZ for hooking it up.

Gorgeous deep brown with a burgundy-mahogany hue beneath. That Brett carbonation that has the tiny, off-white cosmic bubbles that gather round the edges of the glass and leave little round clusters sticking to the glass above the liquid level.

Aroma: 5. Complex and wonderful. Dark cherries, cranberries, red wine, some wood, peaches and apples, Brett damp earthiness. Belgian farmhouse-y. Some damp rose petals beneath. Some sweetness that does not come through as much in the flavor.

Same flavours as above in the taste.
Dry finish with lasting flavours of tart cherries, cranberries, peaches, and especially plum. The most caramel-malt flavours I've tasted in a sour. There is a sense of cloying that evolves in the taste and then that I feel in my stomach. Oh well, the aroma and taste are fantastic - to the extent that I've said wow a few times. The Brett is actually relatively "clean" - perhaps because of the 30 IBU? I might taste a touch of grassy hops at the end, followed by the honeyed figgy-plums. I also attribute the sense of a somewhat subdued Brett funk to all the other things going on - cherries, wine barrels, and the thickness.

Feel is nice. Thick and definitely has that Brett-effect.

I thought I'd have no problem finishing this bomber solo, but it's starting to get a little too sweet - I'm sensitive to sweetness in beer - but there are still enough redeeming qualities to finish the bomber without too much discomfort. Drinkablity has come done a bit and overall enjoyment has waned since sips 1-8, but not because the alcohol has become noticeable; it just seems heavier and not as refreshing now. Oh well. Next time I'll prolly split it. I might prefer this to Goudenband. I'd love to do a side-by-side, but that hasn't been in Austin in about half a year, and it seems Dissident has been gone for months.

It tastes a little more Belgian-y with the yeast/sediment poured it. Also more muddled and thick. I'm glad I waited until the end to dump it in.

I started off loving it, buy still enjoyed finishing it. Definitely recommended for it's aroma alone, and it's uniqueness, and is worth seeking out.

Tasted and contemplated with m83's saturday=youth (2,272 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -54.2%

For $10 this has to be one of the worst ales I've ever had, or maybe just not my cup of tea.

Poured with a red color nice whiteish brown head.
The cherry taste is to overpowering and leaves an awful after taste.

Not a very drinkable beer in my opinion. (254 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from the bottle, into a tulip glass.

Poured dark almost red/purple. About an inch of head, decent lacing.

Smell, was fruity, like berries, and a stong cherry scent came out.

Taste was pretty sweet, and fruity, and quite sour. I could taste the cherries I smelled earlier. Had a little woody taste int he finish.

I liked this beer, not one I would drink on a normal occasion, but it was enjoyable. (408 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

2008 Vintage, Review from notes written on 5-1-10

A- Orange-red, with thin, off-white head. Good lace.

S- Sour cherries, sharp-vinegar-y, tart green apple, berries.

T- Vinegar-y, slight tart granny smith, sour cherries, lemon rind, with very dry finish.

M- Medium body, effervescent/tingling carbo.

D- Incredibly quaffable, especially for a 9% brew. Sourness does not compromise drinkability at all.

Note: I've had this beer younger and I think this age (approximately 2 years) is pretty perfect. (502 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

Dissident pours a cherry red mixed with caramel color.

Smell is of tart cherries and booze.

Taste is a delightful sourness with oaky and cherry hints.

Mouthfeel is very crisp and dry like a champagne.

Drinkability is not the highest due to the high abv. Great sour though. (277 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance- An aggressive pour only yields a finger and a half of head that dissipates quickly. The lacing is decent, but nothing earth shattering. The beer itself is a very pretty mahogany/amber mix that turns into a watery, fire orange when held to light.

Smell- Brett, cherries and blackberries. The cherries aren't extremely tart, more mellow, sweet and smooth. The sweetness is something you'd find in a powdery candy or a Sparks. That funky sweet that the brett brings to the table is pretty fantastic. I get medicinal, barnyard and sweet cherries all at the same time. It's a nice blend.

Taste- The taste starts with a very noticeable medicinal quality that quickly transitions into dark cherries that aren't nearly as sweet as the nose, and finishes tart with some heat. The cherry flavor that lingers is much more true than the cherry I get while drinking. The sweetness that comes in the middle is almost more tart strawberry and orange juice than cherry. I get apple notes, both red and green, and a flavor that reminds me a mimosas. The more I drink, the more apple I get. There is a bit of graininess to it all, as well. The sourness is extremely tame, in my opinion, and the alcohol seems to be fucking up the melding of flavors. I think this beer suffers from trying to do it all. It wants to show off the Brett, it wants to be tart from the cherries, and it wants to have a higher abv than normal. What it actually accomplishes is a clusterfuck of flavors that taste good together, but not great.

Mouthfeel- A good amount of carbonation, let's say medium, and a fairly full body. My tongue feels like it's drinking something really tart, even though it isn't. A lot of the better flavors linger on the tongue. There is a faint chocolate/toffee-ness to the cherries that linger on my tongue that I really enjoy.

Drinkability- This is my fourth go round with this beer out of the bottle, and again, I'm disappointed. It goes down easy, but the flavors get a bit obnoxious at points.The combination of flavors just don't get along as well as they could have. I credit Deschutes for trying one of my favorite styles, but I think the hype machine will sell much more of this beer than quality will (and that's coming from a guy who plans to trade his last bottle). I think some age will reform this beers taste a great deal, but unfortunately, I'm far too broke to wait it out. I get to have it on tap in a few weeks. I hope it right some of its wrongs. (2,469 characters)

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Dark golden orange in color with a white head (that was almost gone by the time it was brought to the table). Aroma of cherries, light acid, and a mild "funk" (it's hard to describe). Overall, an unusual, but nice aroma! Flavor of tart cherries and oak. Hops were not really noticeable amongst the other flavors. Light to medium bodied with light carbonation. It had a smooth and creamy mouth feel, which surprised me because I expected a high "pucker" factor. Although it's 11% ABV, the taste of the alcohol was completely masked by the flavors and the sour sensation. Overall, very drinkable.

I'm a newbie to the world of sour beer and I loved The Dissident. I wish I picked up an extra bottle to cellar when I had the chance. I wonder how this will taste after aging for a year or two. Hopefully, we won't have to wait two years for the next release of The Dissident. But if we do, I'm sure it will be worth the wait! (922 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

2012 vintage. 11.5% ABV. Poured into a tulip.
appearance: opaque reddish orange. Moderate alcohol legs. Tons of lacing around the glass. thin off white head dissipated almost immediately.
smell: sour yeasty goodness, cherries, fruity esters, strawberries, white grape, red wine.
taste: cherries, raspberries, red wine like a fruity zinfandel without any tannic overtones, little bit of grapefruit and orange, bright acidity. Tons of berries. It's tart and sour but with a subtle counterbalance of sweetness. Alcohol comes through more as it warms up but it's never off putting and just helps to clean the palate. There is an oaky note at the end of the tongue.
Mouthfeel: medium bodied with not too much carbonation.
Overall: a fantastic sour filled with vinous and berry notes with some citric notes creeping in. Big and just a little oaky, this one will age with the best of them. Can't wait to see how it develops after a year or two. Buy several. Drink one and cellar the rest. (986 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -1%

2010 vintage, poured into my Deschutes snifter.  Love the artwork on the bottle.

Pours a gorgeous rusty-copper/reddish-orange with a thin ring of off-white head, a modicum of lacing, and noticeable plumes of carbonation.

The smell is rather faint and requires an unusual amount of olfactory attention, though what I'm able to discern is definitely pleasing. Brett is dominant, with wood, tart cherries, grapes, and berries rounding it out.

The taste follows suit, but is decidedly more powerful. Not as sour as Supplication, nor as sweet as La Folie, The Dissident occupies a realm somewhere in between. The flavors are well-balanced and surprisingly complex, with additions of red wine, port, apples, and spices; finishes dry with hints of bready yeast.

Very carbonated and medium-bodied. Crisp and refreshing.

Because it strikes a balance between the overtly-sour and the atypically-sweet, it is easily drinkable and suitable for either a warm summer's day or a frigid winter's night. A very solid sour, especially for the price, though, for the moment, lacking a bit in complexity. I expect great things from the Dissident with a couple of years on it. (1,161 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured this into a snifter from the 22 oz bottle.

The colors are fairly deep orange with a small head that quickly dissipated. A thin haze of laze left lingering.

The initial aroma was a tart fruity smell. I then could pick up some sweetness of the alcohol and a stronger citrus (think lemon zest) pop.

The first taste was more of a cherry flavor than the citrusy lemon I expected. The beer has a sweetness to it that I do not expect from a wild ale. Not bad, just a little different.

Mouth was full but really smooth. The carbonation is there, but not overpowering. A pretty good mix.

A very drinkable beer. The light carbonation and sweeter taste blending with the tart bite makes this a beer that could easily cause you to enjoy a little too much at 9.00%. (765 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

2008 vintage on draft at Churchill's.

A - Brought to my table in a snifter with an inch of creamy off white head. Ruby, copper in color leaving layers of noticeable lace with each sip.

S - Smell is of mild funk, bits of sweet tart and caramel

T - Taste is surprisingly mild, yet intensely complex. Slightly tart followed by apricot and caramel. Finishing very creamy with multiple flavors dancing on your tongue.

M - I didn't have this fresh, so I can't compare, but after a year and a half this is a very mellow, creamy delicious creation.

D - As a fairly recent n00b to sours, this could easily be a gateway beer to the style. Very mild, yet intriguing with every sip. I'd like to have this again...and again (715 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%

2008 Bottle, acquired at By the Bottle in Vancouver. Thanks guys!

Thick red wax on a 22 oz. bomber, poured into a Watou chalice.

Beautiful tan head from a gentle pour. Upon opening the bottle cloudy puffs of head gently ooze forth. Pouring into glass reveals a slightly hazy dark amber and ochre pigments.

The aroma hits you from a mile away. Sour barnyard and balsamic vinegar. Quite unique among sours and even Flanders style, the bouquet blew everyone away. A hint of cherries and wood.

Taste is quite pleasant but a slight letdown from the aroma. Like the 2010 Dissident it is thinner than many sours but this allows more subtle things to occur as well. Balsamic and toast, oak then a dry cherry finish that is dry and crisp. Close to a 4.5 but not quite.

Light and bubbly, this beer has held up well over three years. I picked up two bottles ($30 each) and I plan to age the second for at least another year. Mouthfeel gets high points in part due to my preference for dry sours - this has a nice clean finish that leaves a lingering cherry/wood combo.

Overall this was a very enjoyable experience. I think the 2008 still has a way to go, so there is no need to open it any time soon. If you have access to one, have fun. I opened this with a group of friends, some of whom had never had sour beer before, and everyone had good things to say. After Abyss, this is Deschutes best bottled brew I've had. (1,414 characters)

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery