The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,142 | Reviews: 457
4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Big thanks to grub for opening this on Day 1 of the 2008 Biergotter Tasting.
Deep tawny amber, clear, with a bit of a reddish hue. It had a sticky beige cap that left some spotty lacing on the glass. A bit sharp on the nose, mildly acetic but quite tart overall. Slightly earthy with some cinnamon spiciness and light horsey funk. The flavour was full of tart fruit and berry, some earthy brett and dried fruit towards the end. Oak and vanilla, plus a bit of molasses appeared as it warmed. Medium to light bodied with average carbonation. The bubbles were quite light on the palate though, giving it a smooth texture. Nicely balanced, quite a mellow sour (at least after the other monsters we imbibed).

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

O08 vintage bottle

A: poured a murky crimson red in color with brownish highlights and a thin head that left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: definitely a lot going on but garden floral notes pop out first to me with a variety of fruits such as apples, citrus lemons, cramberries, and dark cherries. I was able to sniff out brett funk, acidic vinegary qualities but with hints of spice and oakiness.

T: very interesting combinations of flavors with cranberry cherry tart dry fruitiness, slight vanilla oakiness, mild bitter dry vinous kick, hints of acidic citrus, vinegar tones, and very well hidden booze character with a touch of earthy bretty spice accents.

M: the brew was medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a sweet, slight spice, oaky, acidic, fruity,mild boozy and tart finish.

O: very tasty and intresting beer that was very elusive for me but very happy to finally try. I definitely would love to try the 2010 version.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Big thanks to grub for opening up this one, good thing I have a few bottles waiting at my parents place. Day 1 of insane DrJay visit epic tasting.

Pours a clear reddish orange, light brown hues, eggshell head forms, thin ring around the glass, some lace spots stick around. Smell is neat, brown sugar, sour fruit, oak, vanilla, alcohol, cherries and strawberries, cinnamon spice and some raisins, pretty cool, nice sourness. Taste is very fruity, oak, brown sugar and vanilla, honey, sour fruit, cinnamon and a neat spiciness, sour fruit in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. Very nice stuff, need to have it again though, it was in some tough competition that night. Thanks Russ!

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

What a vibrant orange color, looks like an awesome ipa! A little amount of head to it, no lace. Great sour aroma, cherries, orange, oak.

Taste, wasn't the sour bomb I was expecting, balanced I guess, tartness and sour is there, but I wouldn't describe it as dry. Hides the alcohol quite nicely, aspect of vanilla in there.

Would love to try this again, had a bit of a stomach virus when I had this, and it took away from the overall enjoyment I suspect. A little pricey.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

2010 22oz bottle poured into my Deschutes Snifter glass.

A - Pours a reddish/orange with a light tan head that forms only on one half and along the edges.

S - Lots of cherries, plum, and some berries.

T - Cherry, plums, and orange.

D - Low sweetness, mild sourness. Lots of carbonation.

O - A great sour, nice balance.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

I picked up a few bottles at Supermarket Liquors in Ft Collins. They went for $10.29 a bottle..

Damn wax.
This pours a clear dark copper colour with a small and quickly shrinking head of foam. Despite the lack of a lot of foam, there's some good lacing.

The smell has a very good pronounced sour nose along with notes of cherries. oak, more dark fruit, and some sweet malt.

The taste has a strong sour cherry flavour up front that's hitting my tastebuds very nicely. More dark fruit flavours pour in and I'm getting some of that Brett funk mixed in along with a light but right for me presence of oak. The more I sip, the more I notice the tartness and what I'm not noticing is the alcohol. Wow. This is 9%?? You could have fooled me because it's an easy drinker.

Mouthfeel is on the low end of medium, the carbonation is light, and it finishes with the cherry sourness and some light funk. Yum. I haven't had a lot of experience with Oud Bruins but Deschutes definitely made this one to my liking. Well done.

4.06/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2012 650ml maroon waxed bomber poured into tulip 7/9/13, cheers Rutager for the bottle

A murky dark amber, looks thick with bubbles struggling to get to the surface, short lived finger of foam leaves no lace

S wet wood, cheesy funk, cherries and raspberries, brown sugar, vinous notes, more earthy funk and some vanilla and spice I can't place

T caramel and a little booze but considering it's 11.4% I'd say it's well concealed, wet funky wood and sour fruit

M full bodied with mellow carbonation, slick on the palate with just a little heat, funk and brown sugar linger

O a nice mix of funk, fruit, sugars and barrel, hard to believe only 20% of this was aged on wood, something I'd look for again and I'd love another bottle to age as I could see the funk coming out down the road

I rather liked this brew and would love to try an aged bottle or other vintages, in all honesty the only reason this one made it past its best after date is I forgot I had one

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

I was lucky enough to get a bomber of this from ampzilla. Much obliged good sir.

Pours a hazy light ruby color with a one-finger off-white head. The head dissipates pretty quickly into a wispy layer of bubbles on top and a medium-sized ring around the glass. There's some lacing.

Smells very good. Cherries, raspberries, and blackberries with a mild funk from the wild yeast. There's also a slightly tart aroma that grows as the beer warms.

Tastes great. Like the smell, there are cherry, raspberries, and blackberry flavors that are as much sweet as they are tart. The taste is very balanced. There's absolutely no indication of the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is good. The thickness is just right, and the carbonation is not too much nor too little.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass entirely too quickly, and would have had another had I not split the bottle with a friend. This goes down very easily.

Overall I'm impressed with this. The beer certainly lives up to the hype, and it's definitely worth a shot. Thanks again to ampzilla for passing this along.

2.68/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2010 edition.

Pours a very clear dark copper color. Small tan head that dissipated fairly quickly with adequate lacing.

Aromas of apple cider, strong, bright cherry with a few darker fruits mixed in. Nothing too revolutionary.

The tastes begin fruity, but also somewhat medicinal. It's juicy and funky with more apple skin and minimal cherry flavors.

The mouthfeel is full with minimal carbonation, by the end of the glass pretty much flat. There is a soapy quality here I am not a fan of, not sure if this year's version or just this bottle are out of wack. Finish is moderately dry/crisp but at the same time quite full tasting. I guess that's what you should expect from a 10% Flanders style.

I was quite disappointed with this amongst the star sour beers I have had recently and just the good beers I have had from Deschutes. Overall this is not a winner for me especially with so many rock stars in this style/category these days. Apparently there have been some quality and varying bottle issues with this batch so I will refrain from totally discounting this beer in the future.

3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

I drank this from a 22 oz bottle into a rochefort glass.

The beer is a watery amber, brown with red highlights. The head is light brown rises about a finger but fades quickly leaving light carbonation on the rim of the glass. The lacing is very weak.

The aroma is medium in strength, represting some nice sour notes. There are light blackberries, vinegar and oak. Vinegar dominates the most.

The taste is much to light for my liking. There are very small vinegar and sour notes, but mostly I taste tea. There is an unpleasant funky sour after taste.

The beer is heavy and full and sticks to your mouth for several seconds.

This is not very drinkable. I could probably drink a bottle if I split it with someone but this would be the last time I'd drink this. I would not search this out or recommend getting it unless your a big time sour fan and just want to try it.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz bomber, red wax, split and shared

2008 edition

appearance: served in my hopleaf tulip, dark garnet body, muddy hues, creamy beige lace

smell: sweet and tart cherries, oak, brown sugar, cranberry

taste: nice brown - moderate acidity, sweet dark cherry and tart red cherry, alcohol warming sensation provides an interesting twist on the style, light balsamic, strong notes from the oak. I dont have a whole lot of exposure to this style, which has minimal modern day interpretations, but i liked this a lot more than goudenband and petrus

mouthfeel: minimal tartness, prickly carbonation

drinkability: good

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Cloudy cloudy cloudy. Amber. Small tan head. Poor head retention.

Cherries and tart fruit. Light malt. Goaty funk.

Big fruity flavour followed up by sourness. Nice earthy character than combines with lactic acid. Cherries really pop.

Moderate body with moderate carbonation. Solid.

Excellent beer. The tartness and fruit works well. Nice stuff.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Enjoyed this at a little bottle share at Tree House Brewery. Reviewed from notes. This is a 2010 vintage.

A - Poured into a Tree House glass a clear light mahogany with a thin, thin head that fades to leave light wisps.

S - Very nice sour cherry notes along with a very, very light barnyard funk. Quite mellow with age.

T - Taste is solid, like the nose, with sour cherries and funk. That being said, its not nearly as sour as I was expecting it to be (which is a shame as it smelled like it was going to be puckering).

M - Mouthfeel is spot on, just spot on. The age has knocked down some of the carbonation resulting in a brighter, crisp, tart brew. Good.

O - Overall, this was a tasty beer from Deschutes. Wish it was more sour but it was still worth checking out.

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

Draught at the PDX pub, 10 oz in a large snifter, The Dissident is a clear, rusty amber with a small, bone colored, large bubbled collar that leaves scattered lace.

Smell is mostly cherry juice, not the kiddie kind, more natural food store, but still dominantly cherry, with alcohol and a bit of vinegary acetic acid. As it warms from the pretty much ice cold serving temp, it gains a metallic sharpness.

Taste is also very heavy on the cherries and booze, with lots of residual sugar and very little sourness. Chalky, and with a fair amount of fusels for a 9% fruit beer. Not overly sweet though, the dryness of the alcohol really cuts it on the finish. I just really wanted more tartness, and cleaner alcohol wouldn't have hurt either. This is just your average Oud Bruin with cherries, on the stronger, fruity end of the spectrum, which I don't care for as much. I just wish there was more funk - less Redbach and more Grand Cru please!
Before I even tried this though, I assumed the crow on the label was an obvious nod to the Duchesse and assumed it would be more in that vain, so I can't say I'm too surprised!

Mouthfeel is slick, but with a pretty lush, soft carbonation that cuts the viscosity, which is thick.

Drinkability is ok, but it was really a let down for me. I was hoping for a local version of Rodenbach Grand Cru, but this one is no where near as tart, complex or attenuated, and much fruitier. Now that I'm thinking of it, I'm not sure how much oak I got out of it either. Which is weird because oak aging is traditionally only used for Flanders Reds, which I vastly prefer to Oud Bruins, which this is sort of trying to be. Bottom line is it's really not my taste...also, it shouldn't have been served ice cold, but I didn't have time to sit there for an hr to wait for it to warm up.
Most telling is the blurb on the menu that cites "arguing for more time in the cellar..." Indeed! Less cherry juice and more funk and it would be better, and I'm hoping the bottles I bought will develop that after some serious long term storage. I just hope it doesn't turn to vinegar, or have all that sugar ferment into bottle bombs!
I had a bottle with a steak (Flanders style beers are my favorite pairing with steak), and it fared rather well, but still needed more acidity to match the fat.

4.21/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle poured into tulip - 2010 bottle

Pours a hazed dark cherry color with some brownish tones. Crop of beige head bubbles up, fading into a collar of film with some spotty lacing.

Scents of lactic sourness with dark cherry, red wine and warming oak. Smooth alcohol warmth, funky yeast and currants.

Nice bite of sour right up front (you can feel it in your gums), featuring black cherry, overripe red grape and a touch of raisin. Dark malted tartness continues with oak, red wine, leather and soft dark fruit sweetness. Finishes warm and sour with lingering yeasty notes.

Medium body, decent carbonation, bubbly and dry on the tongue. A top tier Flanders Oud Bruin with a decent balance between the higher abv and fairly aggressive dark sourness.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got bottles of this from some kind BA's - Chris, John, Joe, thanks a bunch! Out of my cellar and into my Duvel tulip

A: Crystal clear ruby red with some visible carbonation. A finger-thick beige head caps this beer, leaving some lace in it's wake. Exceptional clarity.

S: Wonderful vingegar sourness with some horsey funk present. While this does not smell syrupy, there's plenty of sweetness to balance things out, oak and vanilla dominate. Fruity with sour cherries on the nose. The acetobacter has had time to get a hold of this brew, yielding a sharp acidity to the nose. Pretty darned good!

T: Wow! Puckering acetic character up front with a solid vanilla and oak component to balance things out. Cherries are present with a very pleasing fruity tartness. Acetic on the finish with oak present. Tannins don't stand out but they're present, providing a counter to the vanilla sweetness and the tartness. Pretty darned good, maybe a little too acetic? But that's nitpicking, really.

M: Medium-to-light in body, moderately carbonated with a dry, tart finish.

D: At 9%, it just might be a little too strong for it's own good , but will I be one happy camper after this bottle!

**Edit 20 Oct 2012**
2012 release, 11.4% ABV.

The nose is quite vinous and sour, with a blend of tannic red wine, strong acidity and a mild funk. The cherry character is sharp as well, and almost currant-like. Some cinnamon-like spiciness is also present. A lot of fruity sweetness forms the backbone for this beer.

The palate is not that great. Dark cherries, mildly medicinal bitterness, a moderate sourness that's a blend of acetic and lactic acid, a little meaty too. There is a sweetness to this beer, again, rather medicinal and slightly artificial. Moderately funky with a strong Brett character, there's a little bit of clove and some grass/hay notes that don't necessarily work in a dark sour IMO, especially considering how fruity and vinous this beer is. The cocoa character is nice. Drying on the finish, vinous, fruity and mildly tannic with a lingering cherry pit bitterness, this beer is medium-light in body and rather highly carbonated. The alcohol is well-hidden, but ultimately, this vintage is disappointing.
4/3.5/2.5/3/3

**Edit 22 Oct 2012**
Drinking my last bottle of the 2008 vintage after the disappointment that is the 2012 vintage.

This pours a whole lot clearer, and smells and tastes a whole lot better too. Well balanced with a blend of funk that's spicy and mildly grassy (much less so than the new vintage), a mild sour cherry aroma and some vinegar and lactic acid. A mild sweetness with a little cocoa/smoke character is also present. Cherry skin character is noticeable, and I'm impressed and happy with how low the vinous notes are in the mix

The palate opens with a refreshing tartness that's a blend of red wine vinegar, cherries and a little lactic acid. Less vinous, less sweet, less fruity and less grassy than the new Dissident (and for the better), this is a well-balanced beer. Mildly spicy with some clove and a little cinnamon, this beer is mildly sweet on the finish with a nice, cleansing acidity that's bright and refreshing. Moderately carbonated, this beer feels good on the palate. Solid, good even, though it has fallen off from its peak.
4/3.5/3.5/4/3.5

2012 vintage aged at 53 F since purchase. Consumed 2/21/15. Sublime.

4.86/5  rDev +15.7%

Thanks to russpowel for this gem, 2008 vintage. Pours a fairly clear, light crimson color with a large-bubbled, fluffy tan head. Retention is fairly poor, but not altogether unexpected for a 9% sour.

Nose is of rotting wood, assuming from some brett along with some cranberry and red apple fruitiness. Has a very pleasing sweet/sour balance. Smells great.

Pretty authentic flanders here, Deschutes has done a great job as usual. Sourness and vinegar aspect of the beer is pretty sharp and has a nice bite. Sour cherry and cranberry fruitiness is well done and does not go overboard. I could see this one would not age well over extended periods of time as the vinegar aspect of the beer would start to overwhelm. From the taste of it, seems 2 years is just about right. There is even a touch of hop presence, giving it a little North American feel. The rotting wood character that was prevalent in the nose is more in the background on the palate. The ABV is ridiculously well hidden, cant even taste it. I could easily drink a whole bomber to myself and still might crave some more. Excellent beer, I really dig it. Goes well with Craisins and soft chevre goat cheese.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Another big thanks to Dajtai007 for sharing a bottle. A 2010 version.

A: Pours pretty much a clear brick red color. A one finger beige head forms, and recedes in a minute. Light lace. I love the color though.
S: Tart cherries up front. Musky basement aromas. Some sweetness, light vinegar. Even toasted malt and chocolate as this lingers in the nose. Very nice.
T: Follows the nose. Up front is tart cherries. That quickly vanishes to a light vinegar flavor. Toasted malts and plenty of sweetness. A quick tart/sourness lingers on the tongue for a minute.
M/D: A medium to full body. Low on the carbonation, but not under carbonated at all. Very clean and smooth. So easy to drink. I could have a bottle all to myself.

This is excellent, pretty much like everything else fro this brewery. Fresh this is not over the top sour, which I like. Lots of nuance, and something I would highly recommend.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Big thanks goes out to my boy sincereNC for sharing this one with the table at the ORF '11 release. 2010 Vintage! Served from bottle into a sampler snifter. Poured bright red-orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, and funk. The flavor was of sweet amlt, sour, funk, tart, and dark fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The flavor and aroma on this one were quite good despite the fact that neither was very complex. With that, it must be known that I am a big sour head, so this was right up my alley. I think this one could have benefited from a small amount of acetic acid in the flavor and aroma, but that is about it. Definitely worth trying or trading for if you haven't had it already.

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Amber colored beer, a little bit too clear. Bit of brown head that didn't stay around very long. Slight bit of lace left on the sides.

S - Pretty vinous, maybe a little too much as there's a lot of vinegar in there. Some oak, little bit of tartness and funk along with some fruit.

T - Slight tartness with some sweeter berries. Wood and vinegar. It's a little bit sour, with a little bit of funk. Not bad, but there's a slight bit of mineral or something on the end of this that I found a little unpleasant. Maybe the bottle has turned.

M - Full bodied, very full bodied. Soft carbonation.

O - Not a great beer, merely okay. Had some moderately decent tastes but there was some unpleasantness on the end I didn't care for. Not super easy to drink either.

3.87/5  rDev -7.9%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Best after 11/01/11. I got this almost a year ago in a trade and I cannot remember from whom; thank you whoever you were!

(A)- Pours a hazy crimson red color. Some white froth and lace.

(S)- A nice oaky tart cherry leather and tobacco character to it. Nice and dynamic with out being sweet. Very subtle funk.

(T)- Heavy on the oak but a dense cherry fruit to it with some subtle Brett and band aid character. Some tartness, but subtle.

(M)- A good carbonation level to it. A decent balance too, but slightly strange and medicinal.

(D)- A decent flanders, though I think it still possibly needs more time to develop better. The medicinal note became more and more prevalent as it warmed.

1.82/5  rDev -56.7%

22oz bottle $8.99. I poured this into a snifter and put on Pearl Jam (because I am corny and the namesake of this beer is a good song). Clear, ruby red which seems odd but then I am no expert on flanders reds or oud bruins. First whiff gave off burnt rubber but quickly moved on to a lightly sour vinegar aroma with cherries with the rubber still darting in from the back and a slight touch of alcohol. Nice sour flavors of cherries, just enough to make my mouth slightly pucker but nothing like Supplication or La Folie sour, much more muted and that rubber makes a brief appearance in the flavor. I actually wanted to like this more but I have had too many good sours this year and I am not sure I could taste any hint of wood and the rubber aromas and flavors were off-putting. This is not hard to drink however and does get better as it warms (like most beers).

update 10/12/08
The second bottle contains no rubber and tastes/smells better. Maybe because I drank some Isabelle just prior?

update 06/06/09
Dirty smell with a little cherry sour funk, tastes ok but then reminds me of chloroseptic, ugh. The smell gets much better as it hits room temp. The sournes is cool but the flavor is just ok

update 10/3/13 - 2012 vintage

fucking awful drainpour.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Interesting beer. I haven't had a lot of sours, but I imagine this would be a great 'starter' sour.

It more tart with a hint of sour than a full-on eyebrow-bender. There are some nice dark, fruity flavors up front, with the tartness coming later, & a bit of alcohol warmth, all of which balances the flavor out of hard-core sour territory. The Dissident is bone-dry (I can see the sidebar: "best paired with a glass of water"). The color bears noting, since it's a rather dark red that's also very clear. Strange.

Overall a good beer, & I appreciate Deschutes continually pushing the boundaries of what they're doing, in addition to their excellent standard lineup. Props on them.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Light acetic acid, vinous, oak, and a touch of funk.

Slightly phenolic flavor. Wish it were more sour.

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery