The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

2008 vintage

Reddish, clear, and pink tinted body. Fizzy white head of half finger settled into a thin collar.
Smells of cranberries and dark cherries with a slight oaky note. The flavor adds a strong tartness and a slightly odd yeasty finish. Very dry and bretty.

Body is medium with a hair too much carbonation.

Overall-- this is waaaay better than the 2010... This is quite a tasty beer here, I'm sad to say this is my last bottle.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

2008 vintage, courtesy of Alewatcher, thanks Jeff!

This beer pours a stained cherry wood red in color with a soapy off white lacing around the glass. The nose consists of band aids and cranberries. Despite the adjectives, it's not over the top or off putting. The flavors consist of dry, bretty, band aids with an array of pomegranate and cranberry, pretty interesting. The brett is strong in this one. It goes in between fruit and yeasty dryness. I don't think I've had this style this big and this dry before. It's an interesting drink. The alcohol is well hidden and I consider this a sipper for the style. It makes me wonder what the more recent batches are like.

3.87/5  rDev -7.9%

pours a copper red with a minimal head. aroma is beast, typical flanders with a strong sour cherry note. taste isnt as good, medicinal notes overpower flanders taste and sour cherries fade to the finish, i am a bit disappointed, this is not as good as i expected. off tastes effect the mouthfeel, almost puts the brakes on my tastebuds, ill take a red poppy any day over this

4.37/5  rDev +4%

2010 Vintage in a tulip.

Pours a reddish-range, hazy with a finger-thick white head. Tightly packed carbonation bubbles. Looks delicious. The Dissident smellls very tart and vinegary - my mouth was watering just from the aroma. The taste...was a let down versus the nose. There's some tartness and mild sourness, and its funky, but something seemed missing. I could taste the alcohol in this sour. I corked the bottle and let it sit over night and finished it the next night and THAT glass was much better than the fresh pour. Seemed a bit more crisp and balanced. Maybe it was just a placebo, not having the high expectations I had for that first drink, or maybe my palate was just funky the previous night. I will get some more of this, if I can, just to give it more critique. Finishes dry and acidic. Nice finish.

I had real high expectations for this beer. I love Deschutes, and I love sours - this HAD to be good. My expectations were probably unrealistic, but I look forward to trying the next Dissident release (early 2013 I'm hearing). I will say that RR's Consecration has spoiled me.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

2010 bottle. Received from Scottfrie last year in one of my first trades I believe. Poured 22oz bottle into Jackie O's snifter.

A- Pours a slightly hazy ruby color. Thin white head with just a bit of lace left behind.

S- Smells a bit sweet up front. Some sourness, tartness comes in the middle towards the end. Cherry smells dot in with the sourness.

T- Not as sour as I was expecting. Nice smooth cherry tartness to at the beginning. Some earthy, oak flavors in the background. Maybe what is described as a bit of funk at the end. Still a smooth drink.

M- Medium body, lower carbonation. A little dry.

O- I very much enjoyed this beer. Not overly sour, but with the right balance of sour and fruit. Wish I had another one of these to drink! Thanks Scott for this way back when.

4.41/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

- 2010 vintage off tap @ Beachwood BBQ (Long Beach, CA)
- 10 oz. pour into tulip glass on 3-Oct-11

Love the cabernet and pinot wine flavors with very nice oak presence.

3.87/5  rDev -7.9%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Best after 11/01/11. I got this almost a year ago in a trade and I cannot remember from whom; thank you whoever you were!

(A)- Pours a hazy crimson red color. Some white froth and lace.

(S)- A nice oaky tart cherry leather and tobacco character to it. Nice and dynamic with out being sweet. Very subtle funk.

(T)- Heavy on the oak but a dense cherry fruit to it with some subtle Brett and band aid character. Some tartness, but subtle.

(M)- A good carbonation level to it. A decent balance too, but slightly strange and medicinal.

(D)- A decent flanders, though I think it still possibly needs more time to develop better. The medicinal note became more and more prevalent as it warmed.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

On-tap at Deschutes PDX Pub. Poured into Deschutes snifter glass. 2010 vintage.

A - Pours a clear ruby red with no head. No lacing either. However, it's a very attractive beer.

S - Sour cherries give off a noticeable tartness. Vinegar and yeasty funk give this beer a sour kick. Some oak notes come out. A medicinal aroma hangs in the background. Some alcohol hits the nose.

T - Tart cherries, yeasty funk, vinegar, oak and lactic sourness all hit the palate. This one is more sour than tart.

M - Light-medium body with a creamy feel. Above average amount of carbonation that only slightly pricks the tongue. Finishes dry with an acidic sourness.

O - Enjoyed this beer but I don't think it's amazing. I've had plenty of sours that bring a lot more to the table than this beer. Definitely worth a try though. If I wasn't used to drinking Russian River and Cascade sours on a semi-regular basis, I'd probably rate this beer much higher.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%