The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

The DissidentThe Dissident

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012

(Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
Travisnin

Idaho

11-14-2011 07:34:16 | More by Travisnin
wsucoug96

Washington

11-14-2011 07:07:25 | More by wsucoug96
Holland

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

A: looks a beautiful red/orange/amber color with a tan head that goes away to leave a very small ring.

S: smells of apple, pear, maybe citrus, and a slight hint of booze.

T: tastes of sweetness, apple, pear, sourness, and bitterness on the back end.

M: very nice mouthfeel, it's smooth and shifts to crisp with the change in the glass. Nice.

O: good beer, I'd have it again. It's really one of my first sours, so I'm likely not capturing the intricacies of the beer.

11-14-2011 00:49:21 | More by Holland
srandycarter

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Murky caramel not much head...no lace. Ring only.

S - Sour bitter astringent nose. Hint of malt.

T - Nice depth. Small caramel core surrounded by sour notes. Nice blend.

M - Light to medium body, fair balance, decent carb.

D - Masks the ABV pretty well. Tasty.

11-04-2011 03:20:48 | More by srandycarter
FosterJM

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

920th Review on BA
Bottle to Piraat Tulip
22 oz

2010 Bottle
Best After: 11/1/11

Huge thanks to Tmcelvain for this one!! Been sitting on this since Feb.

App- A bit of a red/pink/orange and yellow color. A huge puffy medium receding head. Big thick webbing and lace. A very vinegar looking consistency.

Smell- Opens with a slight cherry sweetness and then flows to a bit of lactic sourness and a little bit of wood note. A mix of some prickly tannins as well.

Taste- A pretty good sour. Has a bit of cherry flavors with only a mild tannin and lactic flavor. A good bit of oaky wood behind the cherry and brown ale flavors.

Mouth- A bit too light on the sour finish to me. A bit lactic on the finish with a certain light body and a bit of a medium semi bubbly carbonation. A good bit of cherry residual flavors.

Drink- Well I did it. I sat on it for 9 months and I appreciate the flavor profile in this one. It was a good sour but wasnt the most earth shattering but I am glad I waited on this one. Made it that much more enjoyable. According to Stormking47 who told me an 08 is much better. Quess I need to trade for one....damnit.

11-03-2011 05:16:40 | More by FosterJM
Alieniloquium

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2010 bottle. 3 days before the "Best after" date. Damn!

Appearance - Very clear red body, which is surprising. Vigorous head on the pour, but the retention is minimal and there's nary a hint of bubbles once it's gone.

Smell - Cherries, oak, and some sour notes. Red wine rounds out most of the flavors. The flavors blend nicely as none are notably stronger than the others. I do think it has a certain intensity that is off-putting, though I can't place it. It might be alcohol, but it's tough.

Taste - As expected from the smell, with a significant dose of oak. Not very sour, really. In fact, it's hardly sour. A lot of wine flavors, cherries, and again an intense flavor that might be alcohol.

Mouthfeel - Drier than most Oud Bruins, but it's not puckeringly dry. Not a lot of carbonation, but it isn't missed. I don't feel the alcohol, although that flavor still eludes me!

Overall - Not as good as I was hoping. Still a good Oud Bruin, but not anywhere near as exciting as some of its counterparts.

10-29-2011 22:17:36 | More by Alieniloquium
axeman9182

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

22oz bottle of the 2008 vintage, allowed to warm some before being poured into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

Deschutes The Dissident pours an opaque mahogany, and proper backlighting lightens the edges to more of a red-orange. The two pours churned up one and two fingers of very light tan foam serving as a head. Retention is minimal and lacing nonexistent, but I guess that's somewhat to be expected.The nose is heavy on cherry and dark fruits from the wine barrel aging. There's a bit of funk and a bit of tartness, but the aforementioned cherry/fruit really form the center of the aroma. The flavor allows the supporting notes to shine through a bit more. An acidity/tartness leads off and immediately grabs my tastebuds' attention. The cherry and red wine that so dominated the nose slide in and occupy things mid palate. The brett flavors finish the beer off, and it's nicely nuanced. Notes of leather and tobacco are a great way to close the beer. The mouthfeel is solid, yet unspectacular. It's not as dry as I would have expected, but still fairly well attenuated. The carbonation's not as expansive as is usually found in some other Belgian styles, but it's still active enough to let you know its there. 3 years later and this vintage of The Dissident is drinking very nicely. Another great offering from the brewery that's brought me The Abyss and Mirror Mirror.

10-27-2011 04:40:19 | More by axeman9182
cavemanlawyer

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

2008 Bottle, acquired at By the Bottle in Vancouver. Thanks guys!

Thick red wax on a 22 oz. bomber, poured into a Watou chalice.

Beautiful tan head from a gentle pour. Upon opening the bottle cloudy puffs of head gently ooze forth. Pouring into glass reveals a slightly hazy dark amber and ochre pigments.

The aroma hits you from a mile away. Sour barnyard and balsamic vinegar. Quite unique among sours and even Flanders style, the bouquet blew everyone away. A hint of cherries and wood.

Taste is quite pleasant but a slight letdown from the aroma. Like the 2010 Dissident it is thinner than many sours but this allows more subtle things to occur as well. Balsamic and toast, oak then a dry cherry finish that is dry and crisp. Close to a 4.5 but not quite.

Light and bubbly, this beer has held up well over three years. I picked up two bottles ($30 each) and I plan to age the second for at least another year. Mouthfeel gets high points in part due to my preference for dry sours - this has a nice clean finish that leaves a lingering cherry/wood combo.

Overall this was a very enjoyable experience. I think the 2008 still has a way to go, so there is no need to open it any time soon. If you have access to one, have fun. I opened this with a group of friends, some of whom had never had sour beer before, and everyone had good things to say. After Abyss, this is Deschutes best bottled brew I've had.

10-13-2011 01:02:41 | More by cavemanlawyer
ehammond1

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

On Tap

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

Dark ruby with a thin khaki head. Dots of lacing left down the glass.

A welcoming aroma consisting of sweet cherries, mild vinegar, some stinging sourness, and a hint of oak.

The flavor doesn't succeed quite as admirably as the aroma. The sweet cherries and mild sourness are present and enjoyable, though there's a wet cardboard flavor throughout. Not one of my favorites, though I would drink it again.

Medium mouthfeel.

Not my favorite within the style. A sweet Flanders Oud Bruin, though there's also an unappealing wet cardboard flavor throughout.

09-25-2011 16:56:31 | More by ehammond1
flagmantho

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

I consider myself lucky to have snagged a growler of this at Malt & Vine in Redmond. This is the 2010 vintage, poured into a tulip.

Appearance: rich tawny amber hue with a thin finger of ivory foam atop. Pretty nice looking.

Smell: rich, sweet malt with quite a bit of sourness to it. A little fruitiness adds to the enjoyment.

Taste: very good, smooth malt flavor with just the right amount of sourness. I thought from the aroma that this might be a hair too sour but I was thankfully quite wrong. Flavor starts out with some orchard fruit character in with the malt, then the sourness builds to the end. It finishes smooth, though, with a light sweetness and a little bitterness. I love the flavor and dynamism.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a somewhat low level of carbonation, this beer is a little more silky than it is creamy. I like the feel of it, though; it doesn't feel overattenuated, despite the high alcohol and acidity.

Overall: just an excellent beer. I imagine, maybe, that having a bottle with a little more carbonation might work some good here, but I'm quite satisfied indeed with my Dissident growler experience.

09-22-2011 22:29:11 | More by flagmantho
flannelman808

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

A: Orange amber in color topped off with just off white head. Great lacing and pretty good clarity.

S: Sour lemon and hints of metal shavings.

T: Lots of funky spicy flavors meld with oxidized cherries and overripe strawberry. Subtle fruity tartness with a touch of acetic acid (acetone/shoe polish like).

M: Prickly

O: I'm thinking this has some potential to age into something nice but I think it will take 3-5 years to do so.

09-22-2011 00:43:46 | More by flannelman808
jamescain

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

2010 vintage, poured into a sniffer, thanks to BeerZach for sharing this one.

Appearance: Pours a light reddish brown with an off white head about a centimeter thick and fades into a thin lacing over the top of the beer.

Aroma: Subtle sour cherry aroma mixed with other fruits and oak. The wine is subtle but it is definitely there and gives it a spicy character.

Taste: Sour cherries, spicy pinot noir, cranberries, a hint of vinegar, and oak.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium light body, medium low carbonation with a sour acidic finish.

Overall: This is a very good beer, exceptional comes to mind. I'm not that experienced with the style, but I enjoyed it very much.

09-14-2011 15:54:49 | More by jamescain
BdubleEdubleRUN

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

2010 On-tap at Beachwood BBQ. Pours a very murky brown with a golden red tint. The head is about a finger high of off white foam with exploding pin bubbles. Pretty attractive brew. The nose is instant sour tartness up front with cherry, banana and oak aroma's following. The taste has a very pleasant slight smokiness to it and is dominated but tart fruits, mainly cherry. It has very good carbonation with a medium body, tart tingle and some heat from the alcohol. Been searching this out for awhile and I'm glad I got some.

09-12-2011 00:58:27 | More by BdubleEdubleRUN
mikereaser

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A - pours a ruby red when held up to the light with an inch of off-white foam that slowly faded to a ring of bubbles arond the glass.
S - nice cherry aroma, a deep breath reveals some sweet and sour cherries with a bit of ripe sourness
T - nice brown base flavor with a hint of sourness, not very sour but nice and mild with some oak flavor as well. Just a hint of a cider flavor, Very nice mild flavor, though I wish it was a bit more flavorful.
M - crisp carbonatin, medium bodied, a bit of a sour flavor but not overly so. Very easy to drink and enjoy. I think this could be enjoyed by any drinker that is willing to try something new. I wish it was more easily attainable for me.
D - I would love to have this again and hopefully I can come across another bottle soon.

09-11-2011 05:47:58 | More by mikereaser
vkv822

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

22oz bottle into tulip snifter.
Best After: 11/01/11

Pours a dark red with a slight burnt-orange hue and a tan foam across the top.

The is tart, with a pleasant cherry and oak backing.

The taste is a bit more tart than the nose, with more fruit notes as well. Cherry is the most prominent with, with some pleasant cider notes as well. It finishes with light vinous, oak and vinegar notes. The alcohol is very well hidden.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and crisp with light, slightly prickly carbonation.

A very nice sour, easy drinking and tart yet not over bearing. The flavors are nothing too complex, but still interesting and enjoyable.

09-10-2011 04:59:22 | More by vkv822
youradhere

Arkansas

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

2010 Vintage
Pours an effervescent cream colored head, bright copper hues in the body, lots of carbonation bubbles trace the sides. Smells of cherries, pineapple, mango, oak, vanilla, toffee. Tastes of tart lacto up front, followed by more muted cherry, maraschino cherry to be exact, toffee, vanilla, slight chocolate, fig. Mouthfeel is medium, thin for the ABV, you can still feel the alcohol heat on this one, carbonation is great and mellows as it sits. Great oude bruin, my favorite style and a great rendition of it.

May 08 2010
2008 Vintage
Had this at a tasting at Jakes 5th anneversary. Nice hazy copper color capped with a beige head that quickly fades. Smells of sour cherries and funk still after these few years. Tastes of cherries up front followed by musty horse and a barely perceptable alcohol burn. Light body and very drinkable.

09-09-2011 02:23:42 | More by youradhere
JAXSON

3.78/5  rDev -10%

2008 bottle. Pours a clear dark cherry red with a thick head. Nose is fairly sharp, sour, citric. Pretty balanced and enjoyable, and bright. Mouth is soft, flavor profile opens with a fair amount of wine barrel and sour cherries. Sweet, sour, much darker than the nose, not as bright or citric. Acidity on the back end. Really wet and wine barrel-heavy, a quality that I don't really dig in sours. Reminds me of some 2009-2010 era McKenzie stuff. Still, this is a bit more refined, interesting, and has some nice aromatic qualities. Pretty nice.

09-09-2011 00:20:35 | More by JAXSON
cbarrett4

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

So good I bought the t-shirt! Seriously. I bought the t-shirt!

Traditional flanders style ale but made in USA! This is a tart cherry heaven in a glass. That brett/lacto sour/tart thing going on. Some barrel aged notes. Really subtle though, not like the bright and up front Cascade sours. This reminds me of the high dollar Belgian sours that trickle over to the states.

I still wake up from dreams prominently featuring this beer and cursing myself for not buying more!

09-01-2011 22:42:00 | More by cbarrett4
rlee1390

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

A-Deep red, one finger head, some carbonation as well.

S-Cherries, oak and some tartness as well.

T-More tart than sour. Subtle cherries and oak flavors. Very mild when compared to other sours but the flavors are well balanced and subtle.

M-Medium bodied, silky smooth and carbonated.

O-Not the most flavorful or most sour beer out there, however the flavors mesh well and their nuanced balance is wonderful.

08-22-2011 19:48:26 | More by rlee1390
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Big thanks goes out to my boy sincereNC for sharing this one with the table at the ORF '11 release. 2010 Vintage! Served from bottle into a sampler snifter. Poured bright red-orange with a minimal off-white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, and funk. The flavor was of sweet amlt, sour, funk, tart, and dark fruit. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The flavor and aroma on this one were quite good despite the fact that neither was very complex. With that, it must be known that I am a big sour head, so this was right up my alley. I think this one could have benefited from a small amount of acetic acid in the flavor and aroma, but that is about it. Definitely worth trying or trading for if you haven't had it already.

08-16-2011 12:25:40 | More by thagr81us
DovaliHops

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

2010 Vintage... Couldn't pass this up when I saw it on the bottle list at Toronado's 24th Anniversary party. Pours a dark reddish-brown color with a medium off-white head that disappears quickly. Scent is just how I like my Flanders-style beers. Nice tart cherry aromas with oak and vanilla. There are also some lovely Brett aromas. Smells like Supplication...lets see if it tastes as good as the RR classic... interesting... quite different. There are definitely aspects that are much like Supplication. The cherry and oak flavors are spot-on. TONS of oak, which I love. This beer is sweeter than I was expecting though. It is much sweeter than Supplication... quite a bit boozier too. That can be expected at being over 10%ABV though. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a dry, tart finish. Drinkability is high, as long as the booze doesn't become overwhelming. Overall, I'm glad I got to try this one, and I would definitely purchase it again. It's a bit more sweet and boozy than I would like it to be though. More time would definitely do this beer some good.

08-15-2011 07:21:29 | More by DovaliHops
claspada

2.65/5  rDev -36.9%

2010 edition.

Pours a very clear dark copper color. Small tan head that dissipated fairly quickly with adequate lacing.

Aromas of apple cider, strong, bright cherry with a few darker fruits mixed in. Nothing too revolutionary.

The tastes begin fruity, but also somewhat medicinal. It's juicy and funky with more apple skin and minimal cherry flavors.

The mouthfeel is full with minimal carbonation, by the end of the glass pretty much flat. There is a soapy quality here I am not a fan of, not sure if this year's version or just this bottle are out of wack. Finish is moderately dry/crisp but at the same time quite full tasting. I guess that's what you should expect from a 10% Flanders style.

I was quite disappointed with this amongst the star sour beers I have had recently and just the good beers I have had from Deschutes. Overall this is not a winner for me especially with so many rock stars in this style/category these days. Apparently there have been some quality and varying bottle issues with this batch so I will refrain from totally discounting this beer in the future.

08-14-2011 10:59:38 | More by claspada
alpinebryant

Connecticut

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

22 oz (2008 Reserve ) poured into Bruery Tulip

The amazing thing to me was that I literally opened this bottle and searched for the last time someone reviewed the 2008 vintage and the reviewer had also poured it into a Bruery Tulip.

A: Pour is a massive healthy light brown bubbly mixture with a cloudy brown body.

S: Aroma of lactic sour body mixing with tons of brett and oak. Sour Lemon is also stongly present battling with oak barrel in dominance.

T: This starts off with a very sour flanders presence mixing soon with the oak barrel and some lemon. Oak barrel funk and brett are close by with the brett flavors taking up the end taste and the aftertaste. I was left with a light puckering aftertaste and a light sour cream flavor. Lightly caramelized sugars taken over by lemons.

M: Medium to light mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation. I found after letting it sit for a bit it was more enjoyable to reduce some carbonation. It was nice to see the carbonation still in the bottle after three years where some other Flanders Oud Bruins have little to no carbonation.

O: Time to get some November 2010 releases. Not the best Flanders I have had, but it is definitely good.

08-07-2011 21:47:27 | More by alpinebryant
CuttDeez

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

On Tap into the tastign glass at SAVOR

A - A good rubby red body with a large foamy head and strong lacing - It looks bubbly and well carbinated.

S - Funky funk - Oaky Oak - and cherries. A great combination of all three and they play nicely together.

T & M & D - The taste has an awesome level of funk to it, the fruits have good tart characteristics without being overly tart and sour. The beer gets nicely oaky on the back end. The whole taste is very well balanced in my opinion and it finishes so smooth becasue of the oak in the back. Great mouthfeel because of a medium light body and great carbination. Very very drinkable.

O - One of my favorites at SAVOR - nuff said

-Cheers

08-06-2011 22:26:23 | More by CuttDeez
theformula

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

2010 Vintage

A: Dark cherry red/amber color, very clear with no sediment, heads recedes quickly, minimal lacing.

S: Cherries, big cherries. Fresh, pitted red cherries. Not much of the dark caramel and and vinegar aspects I expect from an Oud Bruin. A hint of caramel malt and tartness. Not traditional for the style but I'll go with it.

T: Sweetness takes hold with juicy, pitted red cherries and subtle caramel, gives way to an assertive, strong Brett funk that takes over the beer; finishes off very dry with that signature Brett funk and pitted cherry.

D: Alright, if we're going by style here then it gets low marks, Dissident is a hybrid style that's difficult to grade as there isn't too many "Imperial" versions of the style out there. It's a one-and-done beer for me. Unique and delicious but if you're looking for a proper Oud Bruin, this isn't it.

07-25-2011 06:31:28 | More by theformula