1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

The DissidentThe Dissident

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012

(Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Live review of a bomber of the 2010 courtesy of Oakedcanuck and Jefe73 (best after 11/01/11).
A: Clear reddish amber, it poured with a one-finger cream head that died to a collar and film with lacing.
S: Distinct blue cheese, tart cherries and sweet cherry syrup, and a bit of woodiness with an oaky character.
T: Cherry cream soda mixed with a more subtle, earthy cheese and a brown sugar backbone that lingers with the woody rustic character. Simple, but good.
M: Interesting... the mouthfeel is kind of like an aged cheddar cheese with that dry stickiness on the finish. Moderate body and quick frothiness. It fits the beer pretty well.
O: This is kind of like cherries and blue cheese mix. Pretty good.

ne0m00re, Apr 12, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

On-tap at Papago Brewing Company in Scottsdale, AZ for the Deschutes Base Camp Week event.

This is by far the best I've had of the style. Granted, I haven't had too many, but I thought I just wouldn't like this style because of the versions I've had. Since this was from Deschutes, one of the most consistent breweries in the nation in my opinion, I decided to give this a try.

Copper color with no head.Sour and sweet, smooth, and nothing dominates as a stand out flavor. Not too sour and not the typical smell and taste of sweaty feet. The smell is pungent and bitter as is the taste, but it finishes so well.

Highly recommended.

Gatch, Apr 09, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Ah, the dissident...how I've held off cracking you open for as long as I could, but tonight...the time has come. Another big thanks to 2beerornot2beer for the HUGE Deschutes hook up. Bottle says best after 11/01/11 (oh well, patience is a virtue I simply don't have).

a - Always classy (and annoying) to open a waxed top bottle..just more of a special experience and begs to be held onto (although tonight, you shall be mine).After much work I got the 2 layers of wax off enough to open the cap to reveal "Bravely Done" written on the inside of the cap...classy to the max. Poured a ruby brown with super even and consistent carbonation. I watched the bubbles dance on the surface after the minimal head vanished.

s - Sour oak, sweet tart, cheeries. Quite yummy...the smell jumped into the air as soon as I opened the cap.

t - Much like the nose, tart cherries...but even more tart than the nose suggests. Tastes like vino.

m - Smooth like the fonz. Lively carbonation.

o - Overall, Deschutes RULES! Another fine fine beer from the masters. The nose kills it, the flavor is a bit too tart and took some time to get adjusted to. Very enjoyable beer.

cosmicevan, Apr 08, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

2010 release bottle care of Joe, reviewed on 3/2/11.

Poured into a sniffer, this brew appears a clear ruby tinted color of copper. A finger's worth of yellowish froth sits atop the brew and fizzes away leaving anspotty amount of lace across th top of the brew. Patches of lace cling to the glass.

The smell of this brew is tart with Brett and cherry notes. A little lactic in character with funk. Quite a bit of evident alcohol. Sulfur notes come across a bit poopy at times with a light amount of woodsy scents. The cherry aspect increases in character as the brew warms with a touch of vinegar.

The taste is tart with a flavor of cherry, lactic notes, Brett and a light herbal hop bitterness. A pretty bold alcohol inclusion hides beneath the cherry that is pitted ad earthy. Some woodsy flavors and light vanilla smoothness runs across the tongue mid palate. A little sulfuric at times and somewhat medicinal when the bitterness mixes with the alcohol and cherry flavor. All together this is quite an earthy brew.

This is a medium bodied offering with modest carbonation. Quite bold with the abv not really hidden much however it is easy drinking. It has quite a clingy wild character that lasts inside the mouth. A good representation of the style but a little young tasting. Enjoyable all around, it's my fault for opening this prior to the best after date, I'm anxious to see how this one developes and enjoy again in a few months.

stakem, Apr 07, 2011

This is the 4th time I have had this beer.
Color is amber/copper with one finger of tan head that recedes slowly, no lacing.
Aroma is very light toasted malt, some caramel, tart cherries and hints of oak.
Taste is interesting. Begins with malt and hop bitterness, hints of toasted caramels and a wee bit of cherry. This moves into acidity with fruitiness and oaky/vanilla flavors. It finishes with tartness, oak and hop bitterness. VERY drinkable for a 10% beer.
Mouthfeel it medium with medium carbonation.
Overall this beer is very drinkable and good, but not amazing. There is a bit too much hops bitterness and body, not enough sour for my taste. I know the high ABV makes it hard for bugs to sour this beer but lower ABV and more sourness would have been a plus to me.

trevorjn06, Mar 25, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft at Beer Revolution. 2010 batch. Pours a reddish amber with a ring of white head around the outside of the glass. Leaves some small spots of lacing when swirled. The aroma is very oaky with strong cherries. A decent amount of vinegar comes through as well as a little bit of red wine, a little bit of mineralness and just a hint of alcohol. I don't really get any of the funk usually associated with brett. The initial taste is sweet with some lactic acid which goes into strong oak and cherries, as well as some tannic, red wine. The finish is very acetic. Not much alcohol in the taste. Light bodied. Medium-low carbonation. Pretty astringent. Overall, I was a little disappointed in this beer. It is really dominated by oak and vinegar.

jethrodium, Mar 24, 2011
4.2/5  rDev 0%

Another big thanks to Dajtai007 for sharing a bottle. A 2010 version.

A: Pours pretty much a clear brick red color. A one finger beige head forms, and recedes in a minute. Light lace. I love the color though.
S: Tart cherries up front. Musky basement aromas. Some sweetness, light vinegar. Even toasted malt and chocolate as this lingers in the nose. Very nice.
T: Follows the nose. Up front is tart cherries. That quickly vanishes to a light vinegar flavor. Toasted malts and plenty of sweetness. A quick tart/sourness lingers on the tongue for a minute.
M/D: A medium to full body. Low on the carbonation, but not under carbonated at all. Very clean and smooth. So easy to drink. I could have a bottle all to myself.

This is excellent, pretty much like everything else fro this brewery. Fresh this is not over the top sour, which I like. Lots of nuance, and something I would highly recommend.

champ103, Mar 20, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

2010 batch. It wasn't until after I opened it that I saw the best after date of November 2011. I've read the discussions on this kind of dating, and I still think it's a ridiculous concept.

What a beautiful pour! Crystal clear burnished ruby and orange with a vanishing white head. Sometimes it just looks really damn good for no reason. Maybe I'm just thirsty.

The cherry is somewhat obvious on the nose, but it's hidden by slight acetone, salt, and oak. Smells more funky than sour. I'm going to go on record and say that it's really hard to get a good idea of aroma from many wild/sour beers, maybe from lack of head. If I swirl this thing any more it's going to go flat.

There are some great, some interesting, and some not too good flavors in this beer. Very, very complex; it changes a lot from sip to swallow. Mild acetic sourness complements flavors of old wood, sharp black cherry, tart candy, rhubarb, and bitter medicine lingering a little too long on a super dry finish.

Medium full body, and rather low carbonation. It would be nice if there were more bubbles to "wash away" the vinegar.

Nice Flemish sour, but I'd rather have Red Poppy or several Belgians any day.

7ways, Mar 14, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

22oz bottle into AVBC snifter. 2010 vintage with best after date 11/01/11 printed on label.

A: Pours a glowing cranberry red with a thick off-white head that reduced into a thick collar that left rings of thick lacing down the glass.
S: Sweet and lightly tart notes of red berries, musty basement brett, and just a hint of alcohol.
T: Follows the nose with tart berries, musty brett, sugary fruit juice and a ton of grapefruit pith and orange zest. Flavors are vinous, spicy and almost peppery. The aftertaste is full of woody notes and is fairly dry. The sweetness in the brew sits on my lips long after the swallow.
M: Bubbly carbonation froths up in my mouth over a medium body and slick mouthfeel. Tartness isn't fully developed yet as this beer is still young, but there is a fair amount of gritty tannin.
D: Overall pretty good but I think age will do this one wonders. I can taste the complexities, but I think it could be better. I can't wait to see how it tastes after the best after date!

EDIT: 2010 vintage consumed 12/2012.
Drier and more developed than I remember, more complex. Definitely recomend a few years of age!

scottfrie, Mar 06, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

This is currently on draft at my place of employment. When the keg was first tapped I didn't really dig it that much. We sat on the keg and tapped it about two months later. I liked it better on the second tapping.

The appearance for this one is a nice light amber-red color that has an amazing clarity to it. It can be poured with a crisp white head, but it doesn't really stick around for long. They must have filtered this because it has an amazing look to it.

The smell is strong with cherries, but even more with vinegar and balsamic. It has a strong, tart, and sour smell that is pretty pronounced.

Noting this as a Flanders Oud Bruin is only somewhat accurate. It has some balsamic vinegar notes as well as a nice musty cherry taste as well. It is somewhat dry, but has an unique medicinal flavor that I associate with certain types of Brett. Pretty interesting tastes and this is where I start getting curious about the keg vs bottle differences.

It is a nice sipper, something that goes down pretty easily. Its just the right amount of sour and challenges the palate. I was hoping for something mind blowing and was a bit let down. I would trade this for last years Black Butte XXII.

Jmoore50, Mar 06, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

A. Pours amber with brown, orange, and gold edges. Pours with a small creamy head that quickly dissipates to a ring.

S. Lots of tart cherry in the nose with some oak and a touch of vanilla.

T. Mild tartness with cherry and oak flavors.

M. Medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

D. Very drinkable. It's hard to believe this is a 10.5%.

BeerAndBourbon, Mar 03, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a crisp orangish red with a bit of nice head. No real lacing but a beautiful rim of head left. Smells strongly of oak and cherry. Subtle vanilla and tart sourness. Tastes sweet and tart. Lots of oak on the tongue. So much oak. The cherry is pretty strong but there is a nice vanilla and sour kick. Solid mouthfeel and very drinkable for such a sour beer. Really impressive!

Urbancaver, Mar 03, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

22oz bomber split with russwbeck and poured into a large snifter. Bottle generously provided as an extra by UMNbeerhunter, thanks Joe!

A - Pours a bold burgundy, almost the color of the wax that's keeping this beer contained. Head is meager but active; it only builds about a finger's worth of head but it sticks around for a while. Crystal clear with slight carbonation. Minimal lacing.

S - Aroma is full of many varying smells. Getting a slight vinegar note, which segues easily into tart cherries, and its quite acidic as well. For the sourness, it is also balanced nicely by some sweetness.

T - At first, the beer is strangely sweet, more than other beers I've had from the style, but it makes for a nice contrast in the mid palate. The cherries are nicely integrated as well, maybe a bit overshadowed by the plain sour acidity. Finish is moderately long with a sour bitterness.

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Doesn't make a huge impression on the palate.

D - Drinkability is moderate. Not a bad beer and the flavors are good, and the alcohol is absurdly masked, but the acidity is just a bit too much.

nhindian, Feb 28, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Nice sized one finger white head. Bubbles down to a ring around the outside of the glass and leaves some lacing. Appearance is more brown than red (hence Bruin), but hints of red are noticed.

S: The sour vinegar smell takes over, but a hint of sweetness rears its head. Must be the cherries.

T: The sourness, while balanced a bit by the cherries and maybe some vanilla, is not completely balanced, but also isn't overwhelming.

MF: Not quite syrupy, but by no means is it light. Decent amount of carbonation.

D: Not bad for a sour. I've had some 4oz samples I couldn't even finish. Not completely into sours yet!

russwbeck, Feb 28, 2011
4.2/5  rDev 0%

Huge thanks to wisconsinality for busting this bad boy out. 2010 vintage. Bottle poured into a tulip.

a: pours a deep dark maroon color with about a quarter inch of head that disappears quickly leaving a good amount of lace on top of the beer and edge of the glass

s: sweet sour cherries, vanilla. The sourness balances out the sweetness along with a hint of fruity bitter

t: Sweet sour cherry flavor. The vanilla flavor is present but not extremely noticeable. A hint of barrel in the taste.

m: full to medium bodied beer with good carbonation
Very nice beer

happygnome, Feb 26, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Dark red hue. Small pinkish beige head. Tiny bit of lace no cap.

S: Juicy black cherries mixed with a hint of vanilla. Red rope licorice and hint of barrel wood. Just a hint of sour. Borderline medicinal.

T: The brown ale really comes through in the flavor. No where near as sour as i had hoped. Light sour cherry flavor. Brown sugar, vanilla and a touch of barrel. Again it reaches that medicinal cough syrup phase that I'm not thrilled with.

M: Full to medium creamy body. Light carbonation.

D: Well I know Deschutes has a best after date so I guess I can't be too surprised. Luckily I have a bottle in the cellar. I will adjust my score once I sample that one in a year.

beerwolf77, Feb 23, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

What a vibrant orange color, looks like an awesome ipa! A little amount of head to it, no lace. Great sour aroma, cherries, orange, oak.

Taste, wasn't the sour bomb I was expecting, balanced I guess, tartness and sour is there, but I wouldn't describe it as dry. Hides the alcohol quite nicely, aspect of vanilla in there.

Would love to try this again, had a bit of a stomach virus when I had this, and it took away from the overall enjoyment I suspect. A little pricey.

Beerandraiderfan, Feb 22, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance- Muddy brandy-like color. Almost no head. What head it DID have did not last long.

Smell- Lots of cherry and alcohol aromas.

Taste- Lots of cherry tartness. I am still a newbie when it comes to sour beers, but this one finishes very clean. I really like it. I can still taste some malt on it for a different dimension.

Mouthfeel- Very carbonated. Almost like champagne. The malt in it gives it some thickness. A little slick.

Drinkability- This style of beer is a sipper for me. You don't "put this down" the same as any other beer. At 11% ABV I don't think I will want another, but if it had less alcohol I would want another.

I was lucky enough to grab 4 of these this year and can't wait to see how they develop through the years.

MADhombrewer, Feb 12, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While this technically isn't the bottle I traded for, (ran across some up near SF while up there for the PtY release) I want to thank BillHilly for getting me two of these bottles over Christmas. Cheers!

2010 release.

Appearance - Pours into my Delirium Tremens Tulip with a rather dark red/mahogany color. About a finger of quickly dissipating tan head is achieved with a relatively vigorous pour, that leaves minimal lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Well, let's just say while letting this warm up a bit the aromas can easily be noticed with it sitting a couple feet away. Barnyard funk, oak, loads of tart cherries, green apples, and vanilla.

Taste - Not what the nose would have led me to believe actually. Quite a bit more subdued than I had hoped (and am also hoping a couple years on this will make it that much tarter). There is a definite cherry tartness up front, melding to a nice sweet oaky, vanilla flavor in the middle, that then fades to slight hops and a tinge of alcohol. As it warms a bit more vinegar characteristics make themselves known.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, creamy, prickly carbonation. Finishes a hint tart/vinegary/dry.

Drinkability - While I did open this beer before its "enjoy after" date, I felt the need to try it now. The alcohol is a bit too noticeable, granted, it is 10.5%. In addition, it is not as tart/acidic as I was hoping. I really feel some age on this will really let the alcohol mellow, and the Brett pick up a bit more. Can't wait to try this in about a year or so. Have four more left (may trade a couple) but I will keep at least two to see how this ages. Glad I was able to try this and get my hands on it.

SpdKilz, Feb 10, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

2010 edition

A: quite clear, deep mahogany red. small head goes away quite fast.

S: slightly sour big brett notes here lots of funk sour cherry with a small amount of acid on the smell.

T: hit with a wave of sourness, first sip is always kind of a shock to the system but in a good way. beer has funky brett notes and cherry notes in there wonderfully complex

M: light mouth with med carbonation

D: very drinkable given the style and abv

Overall: wow one of the best American sours or wild ales I have had I am very impressed they are such a good brewery. They really do nail most of the beer they brew. They do make mistakes and there mistakes have been well documented in the beer world but I that was mainly in 2009 and I am sure they have learned from that and will move forward and continue to make great beers such as this.

Video review up here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_TuZTHGxRI

JamisonM, Feb 05, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -25.5%

Thanks to BigBlacke for supplying this one at a tasting

A-perfect honey amber colored with and off white colored head. its quite a joy to look at!

S-smells like caramel and booze and some cherry

T-initial impression is that this a very dry beer. it basically just tastes like a champagne and some caramel flavors. the after-taste is of cherries and some caramel. the ending is a bit tart but not too much. I have to admit that this is somewhat of a complex beer, and some people might find this wonderful, but it just doesn't impress me.

M-it has a hot medium carbonation with a very dry finish

D-its not a bad drinker but I just had a small glass of this and I'm not sure I could've finished an entire bottle

AdamBear, Feb 05, 2011

Dissident pours a cherry red mixed with caramel color.

Smell is of tart cherries and booze.

Taste is a delightful sourness with oaky and cherry hints.

Mouthfeel is very crisp and dry like a champagne.

Drinkability is not the highest due to the high abv. Great sour though.

BigBlacke, Feb 05, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into a 16oz. Deschutes snifter from Rastal.

A - a dark brown with some red in it. Similar in appearance to Troegs Mad Elf

S - Subtle overall, but definitely tartness, cherries, red wine, and oak

T - Awesome, pretty complex with different flavors washing over each other as one works his way through the sip. Tart cherries come first, followed by some vanilla and red wine flavor. Didn't really get a lot of oak in the taste.

M - Very smooth with some light carbonation. Slightly more viscous than your typical sour such as Supplication from RR

D - Extremely Drinkable for a sour, but I wouldn't want to drink more than a bottle if you plan on using your taste buds for something afterwards.

Shmeal, Feb 04, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to babyismycat (my b.i.l.) for the 2010 bomber as my Christmas gift!

Poured into a festival tasting flute. This review is based on the notes that I took on Christmas Eve 2010.

A: Clear copper--small head that completely disappears as the beer settles; good carbonation continues throughout though.

N: Tart; sour cherry and sourdough toast.

T/M: While cool, sour cherries and vanilla (possibly from the oak) is quite evident, with the cherry flavor dominating. As it warms, the is a definite note of pinot grigio. No "alcohol flavoring", but slight warming in the back of the mouth. Sweet, despite the tartness of the overall flavor.
The beer is smooth with a light finish; not a heavy mouth feel at all, but the sourness definitely helps you enjoy this one a bit slower, like you would with a tart lemonade. Very impressive!

peacebone116, Feb 01, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Thanks to kk73 for this one.

2010 vintage split and poured into tulip.

A- Pours a ruby red with a very small head. Completely transparent and no lacing left behind.

S- Some nice tartness and a slightly vinous. I also pick up some oak and a little bit of cherry.

T- Some nice vinous notes. Good amounts of oak and a small alcohol presence. Tart cherries round this one out.

M- Medium to lighter bodied with a dry finish. A bit tart but nothing major. Decent carbonation.

D- I don't really know what I was expecting of this but this wasn't it. The abv is fairly well hidden and has a nice balance. I am going to lay one down and see how it fairs.

Wisconsinality, Jan 27, 2011