The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

The DissidentThe Dissident

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012

(Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008)
View: Beers (139) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
Murchmac

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

2010 version.

Had the earlier version when it came out and didnt like it then, this one was mildly better.

Pours brilliant, looks amazing clear champagne cherry red, some brown highlights. beautiful.

Smells great too. Beautiful cherry nose, some earth, funk. Amazing smell, best aspect to the beer.

This beer tastes better as it warms, you get more of the cherry tartness and can taste the brown ale base beer. At first its like a cough syrupy vinegary mess, no real sweetness.

I can see why people like this beer, I didnt like it when it first came out and this version isnt much better.

12-29-2010 05:00:11 | More by Murchmac
Nesued

South Carolina

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance - Poured an amber red color, with a moderate head. Ample carbonation with a light lacing forming as the initial head regressed. Crystal clear in appearance.

Smell - As I opened the wax encrusted cap, my nose was caressed with a lively cherry nose. As this offering had wild cherries infused into the process, this was expected. Quite inviting. Some tart brett nose also shines through. A bit of the musty nose as well. Again, expected and well-received for an Oud bruin.

Taste - The brett presents a tart and inviting opening to this beer. The tart is not so acidic as to be off-putting. Nice malty middle with no hop presence (at 30 IBU, I would not expect to find any). Either that, or the tart cherry contribution is masking the hop contribution. The 10.5% ABV makes its presence known as part of the great warming finish. Once I read that a portion of it was aged in pinot and cabernet barrels for over 3 months, the taste made sense. In my opinion, this is wine barrel-aging done correctly.

Mouthfeel - Medium-to-full. The carbonation lasts quite a long time and again the tartness adds to the depth of this offering.

Drinkability - I haven't had the 2008 version of The Dissident, so I can only rate this against other Oud Bruins. Outstanding. I personally enjoyed the depth, yet mellow, contribution the brett provided this presentation. The cherry provide a surprising balance with its sweet contribution. An outstanding beer.

12-28-2010 02:15:56 | More by Nesued
MbpBugeye

3.38/5  rDev -19.5%

Big thanks to boatshoes for pullin this one in for me. Ive been wanting to try The Dissident for quite some time.

This is the 2010 Reserve. Best after 11/01/11, oops.

A- What a pretty colored beer. The semi-clear ale is the same color as the ink and wax Deschutes uses in the packaging for this beer. I must admit this is one of my favorite labels too. A 1 finger head is very fleeting and is responsible for only a few patches of lace that side back down the glass.

S- A very cherry nose. Sweeter black cherries greet you first with an almost cough syrup smell. There is a very acidic red wine and vinegar smell that comprises most of the body of the bouquet. A sharp funkiness of old wood runs along the deeper parts.

There is a very familiar smell that took me a moment to pinpoint. Its cranberry. Cranberry tartness is quite strong in the aroma.

T- Quite sour and very acidic. As far as I know a strong lactic/milky/vinegary sourness is the major characteristic this style is supposed to have, and in that respect this beer is right on point. Lots of vinegar, cherry, plum skin, cranberry. The finish has a pugnacious chemically taste. Its strange, like fusel alcohol mixed with cranberry and cherry extract. Perhaps drinking this one aged could help erase that bizarre finish.

M- Very dry with a mild carbonation.

D- Now I really wish I had another to age, or that I saw the best after date before I opened it. I think it may calm down a little and that bad finishing taste would fall out.

Ill be seeking this again for future experimentation.

12-27-2010 06:41:59 | More by MbpBugeye
zhanson88

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the 2010 vintage poured into a Gulden Draak tulip glass.

Appearance: The Dissident pours a very slightly hazy light brownish hue with amber and copper highlights. About a finger and a half of off-white head forms that is very fizzy, retention is not great. I let this one sit a while before trying it, and the lacing actually improved after 10 minutes of sitting due to the amount of carbonation in the beer. So basically, the retention was average at best but the lacing ends up being very nice.

Smell: Sweet and tart cherries right off of the bat, funky, grassy, and earthy. Underneath all of that is a bit of oak. This is a very complex smell.

Taste: Initial taste is a nice blend of sweet and sour cherries. A bit of funk and tartness follows. A hint of oak follows at the end. Really, this beer has a lot of tartness, but not a lot of true sourness. Still, I like it a lot.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is medium bodied with quite a bit of carbonation. It drinks pretty smoothly overall, and the tartness hides the alcohol. I'd absolutely recommend this beer to anyone looking to get into sours. Or even to anyone that doesn't like them much. The sweetness of the cherries really offsets the sour.

12-25-2010 05:48:28 | More by zhanson88
herman77

3.78/5  rDev -10%

Review from notes on 12/10/10. On tap at Pracna

A: Reddish brown with a very small white head. No lacing.

S: A bit sour with tart cherries and a bit of funkiness to it.

T: Sour with more tart cherries and sour green apple. A touch of carmel maltiness. The finish has an olive juice like taste, very odd, but surprising good.

M: Medium to lighter body, moderate carbonation. Very slick feeling.

D: More of a sipper and you definitely gotta be in the mood for this one. A 10 ounce pour was enough for me.

12-24-2010 00:01:42 | More by herman77
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

Growler provided by mdfb79. Thanks Dan!

2010 Vintage

A: The Dissident appears a light brown hue and very slightly hazy. The beer has an inch of thick head that leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Cherries, funk, oak, earth, malt, sweetness. The aroma is the best aspect of this beer.

T: Wonderfully complex and well done. However, this vintage is noticeable sweeter and less tart than the initial release. The flavor is still tannic and has some pleasant acetic qualities, but this vintage seems to have lost some of the magic I found in the 2008 bottling.

M: Sweet first, followed by some nice vinegary tart notes. I definitely noticed the bump in alcohol percentage.

D: Less drinkable than I remember, though still very good. I definitely recommend The Dissident, especially if you have the opportunity to sample the first release.

12-20-2010 17:20:07 | More by Huhzubendah
notsoprobeer

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Dark golden orange in color with a white head (that was almost gone by the time it was brought to the table). Aroma of cherries, light acid, and a mild "funk" (it's hard to describe). Overall, an unusual, but nice aroma! Flavor of tart cherries and oak. Hops were not really noticeable amongst the other flavors. Light to medium bodied with light carbonation. It had a smooth and creamy mouth feel, which surprised me because I expected a high "pucker" factor. Although it's 11% ABV, the taste of the alcohol was completely masked by the flavors and the sour sensation. Overall, very drinkable.

I'm a newbie to the world of sour beer and I loved The Dissident. I wish I picked up an extra bottle to cellar when I had the chance. I wonder how this will taste after aging for a year or two. Hopefully, we won't have to wait two years for the next release of The Dissident. But if we do, I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

12-19-2010 08:18:23 | More by notsoprobeer
allforbetterbeer

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a Swiss wine snifter. 2010 vintage.

Pours a clear sunburst orange body full of slowly rising bubbles that replenish the one finger of light orange-tinted head. Looks like fall leaves in the Smoky Mountains. Some lacing.

Sweet and sour cherries make up the bulk of the nose, and they smell very nicely integrated and blended. Some nice acid compliments the complex malts and sweet, and all this is bound together by a bit of oak.

Think refinement. This flavor doesn't smack the palate with funk or sourness, but with subtlety and craftsmanship. Sweet, sour, funk and warm soft malts are all in balance, and the result is and Oud Bruin that tastes nearly like a Flanders red. I do not love cherry flavor, but in this beer it is everything that is to like without any medicinal qualities or "cough syrup" overtones. The malts in this beer are noticeable and spot on. The alcohol is nowhere to be found, an achievement for this 10.5% ABV. As this opens up I discover some wine-like flavors that I can't quite put a finger on, but that add to the complexity even more.

Mouthfeel is complex in the same way as the taste. It is both soft and aggressive, creamy and lively. Once again, an achievement. Drinkability is outstanding, truly.

Conclusion: This beer is easy drinking and complex, interesting and subtle. I love it, and I am looking forward to the other 5 bottles that are waiting in my cellar. If this gets more sour and funky as it ages I think it will only get better. This beer is outstanding and is surely one of the best I have ever tasted, and the best part is that it is still young. I look forward to tasting another next year with anticipation. If I had only three beers to drink for the rest of my life, this would be one of them.

12-18-2010 18:50:27 | More by allforbetterbeer
jjanega08

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

A= Dissident pors a nice deep amber color with an impressive two finger thick globular head on it that holds excellent retention and lacing.

S= Smells sour and a little salty in a way. Sort of play doh like smell at first. The cherries come through a little in the nose with some really sort of sweet aroma not the usual sour cherry kick you expect from a sour.

T= The taste is fantastic for a Oud Bruin. A sharp acedic sourness to it with a little lactic sour. The cherries come through in a very sweet mellowing sort of way instead of a big crazy sour fest. There is some wood notes and some tannins to it as well that come through. Puckeringly sour to say the least. I am going to say that when I heard this was a Flanders Oud Bruin with cherries added I figured it would taste a lot like this however so it's a little dissapointment. As it warms the flavors become much less harsh and meld together more.

M= Sharp and dry. Super dry infact.

D= I like this one a lot. It is almost exactly what I expected from it however so it didn't blow me away. I'm extremely happy I got to try it and really wish it I was able to find another bottle to sit down with for a little while but maybe next time. A wonderful beer that is worth seeking out.

12-18-2010 04:56:23 | More by jjanega08
woemad

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

From notes. Pint served on-tap at Hill's in Spokane for $6 as Eastern Washington mounted an improbable comeback against North Dakota State and won in overtime, advancing to the 1-AA semifinals. Go Eagles!

Poured a reddish brown that took on an almost raspberryish hue when held up to the light. Very little head, and what there was disappeared fairly quickly, but I didn't expect much given the style and alcoholic potency.

Big nose on this one. Tart cherries, figs, pears, vinegar, a little bit of oakiness and a whiff of farmhouse funk.

Not as sour tasting tasting as I was expecting, though the fruity sweetness I noticed in the scent was pretty well bulldozed as well. While there are some sour elements, the most overriding flavor characteristic was a pucker-inducing tartness. Vinegar flavors were present, but with a low enough intensity that they melded well with the tart, fruit flavors. No hop flavor to speak of, probably the first time I've ever found that to be the case when drinking a beer from Deschutes.

Medium bodied, with a prickly yet coating mouthfeel.

Definitely not a session beer, but very pleasing on a stand-alone basis. This would probably make a good counterpoint to an overly sweet dessert. If you dig tart, Belgian-style beers, this is a good choice.

12-17-2010 19:58:54 | More by woemad
bsp77

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Bright brownish-amber with almost a pinkish hue. Not much head or lacing after the initial pour.

Smell: Tart cherries, brown sugar, pepper and a light farmhouse funk. Overall impression of vinegary olives - per my wife but I agree.

Taste: Strong cherry, with a biting tartness. More biting than truly sour. There is both an underlying caramel sweetness and an underlying peppery dryness, which complement one another nicely. Strong oak finish.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, slightly smooth medium body, tart and dry finish.

Overall: I used to think this had too much cherry. After more experience with sours and cherry flavors, I can emphatically state that this is an exceptional beer. Not the epitome of the style, but the barrel aging is great.

12-17-2010 01:00:10 | More by bsp77
mdfb79

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

From 12/12/10 notes. Brought a growler of this to a local tasting. 2010 batch.

a - Pours a dark amber red color with two inches of white head and moderate carbonation

s - Smells of sour cherries and dark fruits, sweet fruit, vinegar, and a hint of oak.

t - Taste follows the nose, but not as sweet. Some sour and tart cherries, funk, and no real oak.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty smooth, I liked the body.

d - I thought this was a really good flanders. Some people thought the first batch was more sour and had mroe oak; I've never had that batch but still really enjoyed this one. Would like to get a bottle of this to compare.

12-16-2010 01:29:52 | More by mdfb79
pmccallum86

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours an opaque golden red color with a light bubbly off white head.

Smell is of tart cherries and vinegar.

Taste is great, smooth tartness comes through with a nice creamy finish. Sour, but not overly sour, quite an enjoyable beer.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, pretty damn good.

Very drinkable, especially considering the ABV.

12-15-2010 03:55:21 | More by pmccallum86
Ynot2

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured this into a snifter from the 22 oz bottle.

The colors are fairly deep orange with a small head that quickly dissipated. A thin haze of laze left lingering.

The initial aroma was a tart fruity smell. I then could pick up some sweetness of the alcohol and a stronger citrus (think lemon zest) pop.

The first taste was more of a cherry flavor than the citrusy lemon I expected. The beer has a sweetness to it that I do not expect from a wild ale. Not bad, just a little different.

Mouth was full but really smooth. The carbonation is there, but not overpowering. A pretty good mix.

A very drinkable beer. The light carbonation and sweeter taste blending with the tart bite makes this a beer that could easily cause you to enjoy a little too much at 9.00%.

12-15-2010 02:53:22 | More by Ynot2
drabmuh

Maryland

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Growler provided by Dan, thanks Dan...a growler...really?

Beer is light brown and mostly clear with a head of large and small bubbles, mild carbonation and minimal lacing.

Aroma is mildly acetic with a bite to it. Good malt notes in there as well.

Beer is medium to light in body and sweeter than I expected. The lead off character is strongly malty and pretty sweet, this immediately gives way to a strong funky sourness, mostly lactic with an acetic and mildly citric brightness to it. The finish is clean and mildly tart in the corners of my mouth. A very good bruin.

12-14-2010 16:37:30 | More by drabmuh
tewaris

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

On tap at Pracna on the Main, as part of their Deschutes December event. Served in a Deschutes snifter. I could try this beer only because of the generosity of the manager Meagen (chixdighops) and her boyfriend, and some luck. Thanks guys for letting me have the last drink of the sixtel!

Appearance 4/5
Brilliantly clear, deep rusty red hued with a tiny collar and some lacing.

Aroma 3.5/5
Funky and fruity, typical sour brown but nothing too exciting. Some sweet alcohol too.

Taste 3.5/5
Lightly tart and fruity with an unfitting bitterness/astringency towards the end.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Smooth and light bodied with medium carbonation.

Drinkability 4/5
Good.

Other
I don't get the hype. Hugely underwhelming. I will not part with anything that I can't get off the shelves for this beer.

12-14-2010 13:58:06 | More by tewaris
Hempdigler

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Today (12/10/10) I have climbed to the pinnacle of Mt. Beerdom. I have finally sipped my first taste of the much acclaimed Deschutes Dissident.
Just hours after the oldest restaurant on the oldest street in Minneapolis "Pracna on Main" tapped one of two kegs in the state I took my first sip into the "good-ass beer" subculture. Deschutes clearly sits high atop the throne of Beerdom and today was the day I became a citizen of that world.

I was expecting a good old pint of beer, but what I received was a snifter specially made for Deschutes Dissident. The waitress presented the golden brown and lightly rose colored snifter of heaven to me with a smile that told me she knew what I was about to experience. At first glance Dissident hardly looks like a beer, there was no head in the glass and there are only a touch of bubbles floating from the bottom of the glass. If it wasn't for the big Deschutes logo on the side of the glass I would have thought it was cognac.

Convinced I had beer in front of me proceeded nose first to give the beer a good sniff. The sweet smell of fermented cherries filled my nostrils. I hadn't had a cherry beer in ten years, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I don't remember enjoying the beer much either but my tastes have evolved much since those days.

I tilted the snifter further back to my lips ready to enjoy this beer that has been the buzz of the BA forums for months. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. It was like a mix of a brown lager and cherry wine. I took all the restraint I had to drink it moderately. I knew it was a strong beer I believe around 10% alcohol. I could feel the wine taste leaving the undersides of my tongue dry begging for another sip. The after taste reminded me of the slight oak taste often described of many aged wines.

I also sampled a few other Deschutes creations while at Pracna, Obsidian, Jubelale. I must say this is definitely the most original beer I ever tasted, and the most standout I tasted that night. I will be back next week to sample it yet again and The Abyss they are tapping Thursday (12/16/10).

12-13-2010 20:39:02 | More by Hempdigler
Phelps

Arizona

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

"You do not become a "dissident" just because you decide one day to take up this most unusual career. You are thrown into it by your personal sense of responsibility, combined with a complex set of external circumstances. You are cast out of the existing structures and placed in a position of conflict with them. It begins as an attempt to do your work well, and ends with being branded an enemy of society." - Vaclav Havel, Living in Truth

Pours a lovely burnt orange color, topped with a frothy half-finger head of bubbly tan that quickly fizzles away, leaving a thin ring. While the first glass impressed with its clarity, the second was just a bit hazier and was peppered with a small number of floating yeasties.

In the nose: caramel, apple juice, orange peel, cherries, oak and a bit of vinegar. There's perhaps even a bit of breadiness in the back, though it's mostly overpowered by the brighter fruit flavors. It's sweeter than I expected, with just a light lactic character.

The flavor follows the nose nicely. There are sour Washington cherries, vinegar, oak and caramel all in perfect balance. It trends toward the sweeter side throughout, though it dries out just a bit at the finish. The lactic character doesn't linger and isn't really intense or puckering. It's not extremely complex, but every sip is enjoyable.

While the body isn't full or heavy (I'd call it just a shade under medium), it's extremely soft and smooth. The carbonation is a prickly medium-light, tickling the tongue as it moves about. If this is actually ten percent ABV, it's hard to tell; all I get is a slight warming in the chest plate. Oud Bruin perfection.

The Dissident is crazy drinkable. If I have any criticism, it's that the tartness doesn't seem as if it's fully come into its own yet. While the beer's great now, I think a year or two in the cellar could make it outrageous.

12-13-2010 06:25:05 | More by Phelps
BretSikkink

Mexico

4.45/5  rDev +6%

In this corner, weighing in at 10.5% alcohol by volume and 30 international bittering units, a sour Flanders Oud Bruin hailing from Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon: The Dissident. [Raucous cheering]

One of my favorite styles, this Oud Bruin has it all for me: a deep brown color, dark malty depth of body, vinegar notes of wild Brett yeast, and Washington cherry bittersweetness.

Poured into a tulip glass at Papago, the tapped brew had no head whatsoever, just a bubble or two here and there. The copper-mahogany color more than makes up for it, looking both formidable and inviting. The nose provides further enticement, with plenty of fruit notes, both sweet and sour. A hint of the wild yeast is apparent as well as a slight hint towards the red wine barrel-aging as a vinous character emerges.

The Dissident is simply spectacular. Balanced but assertive, the alcohol heat is remarkably well-hidden behind a wall of flavors. The sour, wild nature is readily apparent, but the massive flavors from the malt and cherries, rounded out by barrel aging, come together so nicely. This is presumably from the brand-new, November 2010 release, so this keg was less than a month old and snappier than hell. If you find a bottle, buy it; if you see it on draft, order two. Silly-drinkable for this style, and silky smooth all around.

12-12-2010 19:44:25 | More by BretSikkink
tempest

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Split a bomber with a friend. I think this was a recent acquisition of his and I'd be very interested to try a longer-aged version.

The beer came out more amber than brown and looked a bit like a double IPA, though it certainly didn't taste like one. There's a lightly fruity tart bite like you'd expect from a wild ale, and really this reminds me of an American wild ale like the Odell's Woodcut Series. You can taste a little of the cherries and they're matched with a lemon peel bite. The sour character is relatively clean considering how earthy and funky some Belgian get. Still, it's a tasty beer and I'd expect it to develop nicely over time. Even at 9%, it's relatively drinkable for the strength and I wouldn't have minded a few more glasses.

12-12-2010 19:13:17 | More by tempest
portia99

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

22oz bottle (2008 reserve) poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a dirty, brown color with a reddish tint. A finger of cream colored dense foam sits on top for several minutes. Dies slowly leaving behind some light foamy lace on the glass.

S - Tart and sour with a good amount of bretty funk. Lots of barnyardy aromas. Smells very good.

T - Tart and funky. A decent amount of malt at the base. Nice lactic sourness. A touch of hoppy bitterness, but really at a subdued level. Funk is very evident and well presented. Very enjoyable.

M - Thinnish medium bodied with plenty of carbonation to keep things lively. Light tartness...

D - Quite nice...very enjoyable. Funk is prominant and welcome...a bit of malt presence. Could savor this one for a long time, but it is going down a bit too quick. Excellent...hoping to be able to try a bottle from the new release to compare...

12-12-2010 03:18:33 | More by portia99
chumba526

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

It appears reddish orange with a small light tan head.

It smells of vinegar, brown sugar, cherries, oak. It smells a little bit similar to a tart white wine.

It tastes initially of dry cherries, oak. It is slightly acidic but the acidic character is not overwhelming. There is a mild brown sugar flavor sweetness that provides a bit of balance to the acidic character. The taste finishes with a bit of bitterness though it is a wild yeast type of bitterness.

The carbonation is medium low.

The drinkability is pretty good for a sour ale. It goes down smooth due to the fact that is has quite a nice balance to it.

Overall this is a great drinkable sour ale. I think this would be a good a sour ale for someone who has not had a sour ale before because it is well balanced but true to the sour style.

12-12-2010 00:36:37 | More by chumba526
nataku00

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Since I haven't been able to get a bottle here in the Bay Area, I had to make a trip to try it when I saw it was on tap locally.

2010 keg of The Dissident on tap at City Beer in SF, poured into a tulip glass. Slightly hazy reddish brown beer with just a little white foam right at the surface of the beer. Some carbonation visible through the beer, and I could see shadows through the beer as well so it's not too opaque.

Nose is sour cherries, vinegar acidity, and soft oak. Some raspberry sweetness as well.

Taste is light sour cherry puckering, sweet red berries, and vanilla from oak. Flavor is a bit muted compared to the nose, unfortunately. While good, just not as strong as I was hoping.

Medium bodied beer with just a gentle carbonation, slippery and slightly syrupy. Fairly drinkable glass of beer as the sour is not too strong, not lingering too long on the tongue, making it very easy to drink, but better to sip slowly.

12-11-2010 22:28:07 | More by nataku00
kbutler1

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft. Sampled on 12/10/10 at Pracna on Main. Had 2 glass, the first poured into a tall pils glass a clear copper amber color with very little head. The second pour was into a snifter and did have a slight tan head. Aroma is that of sour cherries and slight acidic notes, very minimal aroma with some sweetness. Medium/light mouthfeel with slight carbonation. Slightly boozy. Cherry taste with white wine characteristics. Woody. The Brett is pretty subdued, may be interesting how time treats this. Easy drinking but with all the craziness over this in MN, I'm really note sure if it deserves the hype.

12-10-2010 23:59:31 | More by kbutler1
atleehammaker

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

2010 release

For all the difficulty I've heard about finding this beer and how quickly they apparently sold out at local specialty beer stores, I was stunned to find plenty of them at my local Bevmo.

Appearance: Reddish/orange/brown color and pretty clear with not much head.

Smell: You had me at hello. The smell on this is unbelievably inviting. Sweet and sour, cherries, oak, wine. You can definitely smell the Brett.

Taste: Tastes as good as it smells. Similar flavors. Sweet/sour, cherries, oak, vinegar, wine and Brett. Finishes w/ a slight warming from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Slight carbonation. I felt it would be mildly better with a bit less carbonation, but that should occur with some aging. Warm from the booze.

Drinkability: This went down much too easy for the 11% alcohol. Seems like a late night beer, but I had half of it with dinner and it went well with my herb roasted chicken, like a nice glass of wine. It went exceptionally well with the dark chocolate I had for dessert, which really brought out the sweetness and cherry flavor.

This is one of the best sour beers I've ever had...right up there with Russian River Consecration. So good that I went back to Bevmo later that night to buy more.

12-10-2010 16:36:49 | More by atleehammaker