The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

The DissidentThe Dissident

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012

(Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

2010 version. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clean, clear reddish brown with just a thin ring of khaki head that had no retention or lacing. The aroma was slightly sour with a hint of cherries, or other stone fruit, and just a whisper of grains.

There was a more noticeable taste of fruit and grain on the tongue. There was some sourness, but not as much as I was expecting. The body was far too thin, I want a Bruin to be full-to-heavy. Drinkability was nice, I shared a 22 with a friend and we could have easily drank another.

Overall, a very nice, but not great, brew. If you can grab a bottle go ahead, but don't knock yourself out trying to get one.

Edit 1/19/11: Just tried this on tap and it was a bit more sour than the bottle, but I still found this years version to not be up to level established by the first release.

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

A - poured into a tulip. Brownish red with an off-white head.

S - Acidic to the nose with the cherries definitely present.

T - Tart but not too tart. Sour, sweet, and bitter intermingle perfectly.

M - Quite full bodied with some acidity on the tongue.

D - This is a great addition to a meal or as a standalone experience.

I enjoyed this beer quite a lot. Sad that I don't have much left but looking forward to trying it again in a year.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Dark amber to light copper color with a 3 finger off white head, which has good retention, and leaves some lacing. The aroma has tart cherries, green apple, and Brettanomyces.

The flavor has more sweetness than I expected from the aroma. Tart cherries, green apples, Brettanomyces, vanilla, bread, and caramel are all present in the flavor. The combination of flavors makes for an interesting balance of tartness and sweetness. Very nice.

Medium bodied, creamy, medium carbonation, and finishes dry. The alcohol is extremely well hidden. This is a wonderful and complex beer. I am glad I have one more bottle to age. I recommend this beer highly.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

22oz bottle. Pours a clear red amber with a thin creamy off white head that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is acidic and tart, slightly sweet, cherries.

The flavor is acidic and sweet cherries with a bitter, musty, slightly medicinal aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, it's a solid fruity sour. I'd prefer a little more sour or brett and less of the weird aftertaste.

A: nice red hue from the cherries no real head
S: Nice fruity smell with sour undertones
T: The taste of this beer is really good. I love this brew and wish it came out every year like Abyss. It is pleasantly sour with a cherry backbone, and really becomes better as it warms up close to room temp. I am really excited for my bottles that are aging.
D: I would love this brew. I cannot wait to open a bottle next year.

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

2010 version.

Had the earlier version when it came out and didnt like it then, this one was mildly better.

Pours brilliant, looks amazing clear champagne cherry red, some brown highlights. beautiful.

Smells great too. Beautiful cherry nose, some earth, funk. Amazing smell, best aspect to the beer.

This beer tastes better as it warms, you get more of the cherry tartness and can taste the brown ale base beer. At first its like a cough syrupy vinegary mess, no real sweetness.

I can see why people like this beer, I didnt like it when it first came out and this version isnt much better.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance - Poured an amber red color, with a moderate head. Ample carbonation with a light lacing forming as the initial head regressed. Crystal clear in appearance.

Smell - As I opened the wax encrusted cap, my nose was caressed with a lively cherry nose. As this offering had wild cherries infused into the process, this was expected. Quite inviting. Some tart brett nose also shines through. A bit of the musty nose as well. Again, expected and well-received for an Oud bruin.

Taste - The brett presents a tart and inviting opening to this beer. The tart is not so acidic as to be off-putting. Nice malty middle with no hop presence (at 30 IBU, I would not expect to find any). Either that, or the tart cherry contribution is masking the hop contribution. The 10.5% ABV makes its presence known as part of the great warming finish. Once I read that a portion of it was aged in pinot and cabernet barrels for over 3 months, the taste made sense. In my opinion, this is wine barrel-aging done correctly.

Mouthfeel - Medium-to-full. The carbonation lasts quite a long time and again the tartness adds to the depth of this offering.

Drinkability - I haven't had the 2008 version of The Dissident, so I can only rate this against other Oud Bruins. Outstanding. I personally enjoyed the depth, yet mellow, contribution the brett provided this presentation. The cherry provide a surprising balance with its sweet contribution. An outstanding beer.

3.38/5  rDev -19.5%

Big thanks to boatshoes for pullin this one in for me. Ive been wanting to try The Dissident for quite some time.

This is the 2010 Reserve. Best after 11/01/11, oops.

A- What a pretty colored beer. The semi-clear ale is the same color as the ink and wax Deschutes uses in the packaging for this beer. I must admit this is one of my favorite labels too. A 1 finger head is very fleeting and is responsible for only a few patches of lace that side back down the glass.

S- A very cherry nose. Sweeter black cherries greet you first with an almost cough syrup smell. There is a very acidic red wine and vinegar smell that comprises most of the body of the bouquet. A sharp funkiness of old wood runs along the deeper parts.

There is a very familiar smell that took me a moment to pinpoint. Its cranberry. Cranberry tartness is quite strong in the aroma.

T- Quite sour and very acidic. As far as I know a strong lactic/milky/vinegary sourness is the major characteristic this style is supposed to have, and in that respect this beer is right on point. Lots of vinegar, cherry, plum skin, cranberry. The finish has a pugnacious chemically taste. Its strange, like fusel alcohol mixed with cranberry and cherry extract. Perhaps drinking this one aged could help erase that bizarre finish.

M- Very dry with a mild carbonation.

D- Now I really wish I had another to age, or that I saw the best after date before I opened it. I think it may calm down a little and that bad finishing taste would fall out.

Ill be seeking this again for future experimentation.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the 2010 vintage poured into a Gulden Draak tulip glass.

Appearance: The Dissident pours a very slightly hazy light brownish hue with amber and copper highlights. About a finger and a half of off-white head forms that is very fizzy, retention is not great. I let this one sit a while before trying it, and the lacing actually improved after 10 minutes of sitting due to the amount of carbonation in the beer. So basically, the retention was average at best but the lacing ends up being very nice.

Smell: Sweet and tart cherries right off of the bat, funky, grassy, and earthy. Underneath all of that is a bit of oak. This is a very complex smell.

Taste: Initial taste is a nice blend of sweet and sour cherries. A bit of funk and tartness follows. A hint of oak follows at the end. Really, this beer has a lot of tartness, but not a lot of true sourness. Still, I like it a lot.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is medium bodied with quite a bit of carbonation. It drinks pretty smoothly overall, and the tartness hides the alcohol. I'd absolutely recommend this beer to anyone looking to get into sours. Or even to anyone that doesn't like them much. The sweetness of the cherries really offsets the sour.

3.78/5  rDev -10%

Review from notes on 12/10/10. On tap at Pracna

A: Reddish brown with a very small white head. No lacing.

S: A bit sour with tart cherries and a bit of funkiness to it.

T: Sour with more tart cherries and sour green apple. A touch of carmel maltiness. The finish has an olive juice like taste, very odd, but surprising good.

M: Medium to lighter body, moderate carbonation. Very slick feeling.

D: More of a sipper and you definitely gotta be in the mood for this one. A 10 ounce pour was enough for me.

Growler provided by mdfb79. Thanks Dan!

2010 Vintage

A: The Dissident appears a light brown hue and very slightly hazy. The beer has an inch of thick head that leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Cherries, funk, oak, earth, malt, sweetness. The aroma is the best aspect of this beer.

T: Wonderfully complex and well done. However, this vintage is noticeable sweeter and less tart than the initial release. The flavor is still tannic and has some pleasant acetic qualities, but this vintage seems to have lost some of the magic I found in the 2008 bottling.

M: Sweet first, followed by some nice vinegary tart notes. I definitely noticed the bump in alcohol percentage.

D: Less drinkable than I remember, though still very good. I definitely recommend The Dissident, especially if you have the opportunity to sample the first release.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Dark golden orange in color with a white head (that was almost gone by the time it was brought to the table). Aroma of cherries, light acid, and a mild "funk" (it's hard to describe). Overall, an unusual, but nice aroma! Flavor of tart cherries and oak. Hops were not really noticeable amongst the other flavors. Light to medium bodied with light carbonation. It had a smooth and creamy mouth feel, which surprised me because I expected a high "pucker" factor. Although it's 11% ABV, the taste of the alcohol was completely masked by the flavors and the sour sensation. Overall, very drinkable.

I'm a newbie to the world of sour beer and I loved The Dissident. I wish I picked up an extra bottle to cellar when I had the chance. I wonder how this will taste after aging for a year or two. Hopefully, we won't have to wait two years for the next release of The Dissident. But if we do, I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a Swiss wine snifter. 2010 vintage.

Pours a clear sunburst orange body full of slowly rising bubbles that replenish the one finger of light orange-tinted head. Looks like fall leaves in the Smoky Mountains. Some lacing.

Sweet and sour cherries make up the bulk of the nose, and they smell very nicely integrated and blended. Some nice acid compliments the complex malts and sweet, and all this is bound together by a bit of oak.

Think refinement. This flavor doesn't smack the palate with funk or sourness, but with subtlety and craftsmanship. Sweet, sour, funk and warm soft malts are all in balance, and the result is and Oud Bruin that tastes nearly like a Flanders red. I do not love cherry flavor, but in this beer it is everything that is to like without any medicinal qualities or "cough syrup" overtones. The malts in this beer are noticeable and spot on. The alcohol is nowhere to be found, an achievement for this 10.5% ABV. As this opens up I discover some wine-like flavors that I can't quite put a finger on, but that add to the complexity even more.

Mouthfeel is complex in the same way as the taste. It is both soft and aggressive, creamy and lively. Once again, an achievement. Drinkability is outstanding, truly.

Conclusion: This beer is easy drinking and complex, interesting and subtle. I love it, and I am looking forward to the other 5 bottles that are waiting in my cellar. If this gets more sour and funky as it ages I think it will only get better. This beer is outstanding and is surely one of the best I have ever tasted, and the best part is that it is still young. I look forward to tasting another next year with anticipation. If I had only three beers to drink for the rest of my life, this would be one of them.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

A= Dissident pors a nice deep amber color with an impressive two finger thick globular head on it that holds excellent retention and lacing.

S= Smells sour and a little salty in a way. Sort of play doh like smell at first. The cherries come through a little in the nose with some really sort of sweet aroma not the usual sour cherry kick you expect from a sour.

T= The taste is fantastic for a Oud Bruin. A sharp acedic sourness to it with a little lactic sour. The cherries come through in a very sweet mellowing sort of way instead of a big crazy sour fest. There is some wood notes and some tannins to it as well that come through. Puckeringly sour to say the least. I am going to say that when I heard this was a Flanders Oud Bruin with cherries added I figured it would taste a lot like this however so it's a little dissapointment. As it warms the flavors become much less harsh and meld together more.

M= Sharp and dry. Super dry infact.

D= I like this one a lot. It is almost exactly what I expected from it however so it didn't blow me away. I'm extremely happy I got to try it and really wish it I was able to find another bottle to sit down with for a little while but maybe next time. A wonderful beer that is worth seeking out.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

From notes. Pint served on-tap at Hill's in Spokane for $6 as Eastern Washington mounted an improbable comeback against North Dakota State and won in overtime, advancing to the 1-AA semifinals. Go Eagles!

Poured a reddish brown that took on an almost raspberryish hue when held up to the light. Very little head, and what there was disappeared fairly quickly, but I didn't expect much given the style and alcoholic potency.

Big nose on this one. Tart cherries, figs, pears, vinegar, a little bit of oakiness and a whiff of farmhouse funk.

Not as sour tasting tasting as I was expecting, though the fruity sweetness I noticed in the scent was pretty well bulldozed as well. While there are some sour elements, the most overriding flavor characteristic was a pucker-inducing tartness. Vinegar flavors were present, but with a low enough intensity that they melded well with the tart, fruit flavors. No hop flavor to speak of, probably the first time I've ever found that to be the case when drinking a beer from Deschutes.

Medium bodied, with a prickly yet coating mouthfeel.

Definitely not a session beer, but very pleasing on a stand-alone basis. This would probably make a good counterpoint to an overly sweet dessert. If you dig tart, Belgian-style beers, this is a good choice.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Bright brownish-amber with almost a pinkish hue. Not much head or lacing after the initial pour.

Smell: Tart cherries, brown sugar, pepper and a light farmhouse funk. Overall impression of vinegary olives - per my wife but I agree.

Taste: Strong cherry, with a biting tartness. More biting than truly sour. There is both an underlying caramel sweetness and an underlying peppery dryness, which complement one another nicely. Strong oak finish.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, slightly smooth medium body, tart and dry finish.

Overall: I used to think this had too much cherry. After more experience with sours and cherry flavors, I can emphatically state that this is an exceptional beer. Not the epitome of the style, but the barrel aging is great.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

From 12/12/10 notes. Brought a growler of this to a local tasting. 2010 batch.

a - Pours a dark amber red color with two inches of white head and moderate carbonation

s - Smells of sour cherries and dark fruits, sweet fruit, vinegar, and a hint of oak.

t - Taste follows the nose, but not as sweet. Some sour and tart cherries, funk, and no real oak.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty smooth, I liked the body.

d - I thought this was a really good flanders. Some people thought the first batch was more sour and had mroe oak; I've never had that batch but still really enjoyed this one. Would like to get a bottle of this to compare.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours an opaque golden red color with a light bubbly off white head.

Smell is of tart cherries and vinegar.

Taste is great, smooth tartness comes through with a nice creamy finish. Sour, but not overly sour, quite an enjoyable beer.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, pretty damn good.

Very drinkable, especially considering the ABV.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured this into a snifter from the 22 oz bottle.

The colors are fairly deep orange with a small head that quickly dissipated. A thin haze of laze left lingering.

The initial aroma was a tart fruity smell. I then could pick up some sweetness of the alcohol and a stronger citrus (think lemon zest) pop.

The first taste was more of a cherry flavor than the citrusy lemon I expected. The beer has a sweetness to it that I do not expect from a wild ale. Not bad, just a little different.

Mouth was full but really smooth. The carbonation is there, but not overpowering. A pretty good mix.

A very drinkable beer. The light carbonation and sweeter taste blending with the tart bite makes this a beer that could easily cause you to enjoy a little too much at 9.00%.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Growler provided by Dan, thanks Dan...a growler...really?

Beer is light brown and mostly clear with a head of large and small bubbles, mild carbonation and minimal lacing.

Aroma is mildly acetic with a bite to it. Good malt notes in there as well.

Beer is medium to light in body and sweeter than I expected. The lead off character is strongly malty and pretty sweet, this immediately gives way to a strong funky sourness, mostly lactic with an acetic and mildly citric brightness to it. The finish is clean and mildly tart in the corners of my mouth. A very good bruin.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

On tap at Pracna on the Main, as part of their Deschutes December event. Served in a Deschutes snifter. I could try this beer only because of the generosity of the manager Meagen (chixdighops) and her boyfriend, and some luck. Thanks guys for letting me have the last drink of the sixtel!

Appearance 4/5
Brilliantly clear, deep rusty red hued with a tiny collar and some lacing.

Aroma 3.5/5
Funky and fruity, typical sour brown but nothing too exciting. Some sweet alcohol too.

Taste 3.5/5
Lightly tart and fruity with an unfitting bitterness/astringency towards the end.

Mouthfeel 4/5
Smooth and light bodied with medium carbonation.

Drinkability 4/5
Good.

Other
I don't get the hype. Hugely underwhelming. I will not part with anything that I can't get off the shelves for this beer.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Today (12/10/10) I have climbed to the pinnacle of Mt. Beerdom. I have finally sipped my first taste of the much acclaimed Deschutes Dissident.
Just hours after the oldest restaurant on the oldest street in Minneapolis "Pracna on Main" tapped one of two kegs in the state I took my first sip into the "good-ass beer" subculture. Deschutes clearly sits high atop the throne of Beerdom and today was the day I became a citizen of that world.

I was expecting a good old pint of beer, but what I received was a snifter specially made for Deschutes Dissident. The waitress presented the golden brown and lightly rose colored snifter of heaven to me with a smile that told me she knew what I was about to experience. At first glance Dissident hardly looks like a beer, there was no head in the glass and there are only a touch of bubbles floating from the bottom of the glass. If it wasn't for the big Deschutes logo on the side of the glass I would have thought it was cognac.

Convinced I had beer in front of me proceeded nose first to give the beer a good sniff. The sweet smell of fermented cherries filled my nostrils. I hadn't had a cherry beer in ten years, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I don't remember enjoying the beer much either but my tastes have evolved much since those days.

I tilted the snifter further back to my lips ready to enjoy this beer that has been the buzz of the BA forums for months. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. It was like a mix of a brown lager and cherry wine. I took all the restraint I had to drink it moderately. I knew it was a strong beer I believe around 10% alcohol. I could feel the wine taste leaving the undersides of my tongue dry begging for another sip. The after taste reminded me of the slight oak taste often described of many aged wines.

I also sampled a few other Deschutes creations while at Pracna, Obsidian, Jubelale. I must say this is definitely the most original beer I ever tasted, and the most standout I tasted that night. I will be back next week to sample it yet again and The Abyss they are tapping Thursday (12/16/10).

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

"You do not become a "dissident" just because you decide one day to take up this most unusual career. You are thrown into it by your personal sense of responsibility, combined with a complex set of external circumstances. You are cast out of the existing structures and placed in a position of conflict with them. It begins as an attempt to do your work well, and ends with being branded an enemy of society." - Vaclav Havel, Living in Truth

Pours a lovely burnt orange color, topped with a frothy half-finger head of bubbly tan that quickly fizzles away, leaving a thin ring. While the first glass impressed with its clarity, the second was just a bit hazier and was peppered with a small number of floating yeasties.

In the nose: caramel, apple juice, orange peel, cherries, oak and a bit of vinegar. There's perhaps even a bit of breadiness in the back, though it's mostly overpowered by the brighter fruit flavors. It's sweeter than I expected, with just a light lactic character.

The flavor follows the nose nicely. There are sour Washington cherries, vinegar, oak and caramel all in perfect balance. It trends toward the sweeter side throughout, though it dries out just a bit at the finish. The lactic character doesn't linger and isn't really intense or puckering. It's not extremely complex, but every sip is enjoyable.

While the body isn't full or heavy (I'd call it just a shade under medium), it's extremely soft and smooth. The carbonation is a prickly medium-light, tickling the tongue as it moves about. If this is actually ten percent ABV, it's hard to tell; all I get is a slight warming in the chest plate. Oud Bruin perfection.

The Dissident is crazy drinkable. If I have any criticism, it's that the tartness doesn't seem as if it's fully come into its own yet. While the beer's great now, I think a year or two in the cellar could make it outrageous.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

In this corner, weighing in at 10.5% alcohol by volume and 30 international bittering units, a sour Flanders Oud Bruin hailing from Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon: The Dissident. [Raucous cheering]

One of my favorite styles, this Oud Bruin has it all for me: a deep brown color, dark malty depth of body, vinegar notes of wild Brett yeast, and Washington cherry bittersweetness.

Poured into a tulip glass at Papago, the tapped brew had no head whatsoever, just a bubble or two here and there. The copper-mahogany color more than makes up for it, looking both formidable and inviting. The nose provides further enticement, with plenty of fruit notes, both sweet and sour. A hint of the wild yeast is apparent as well as a slight hint towards the red wine barrel-aging as a vinous character emerges.

The Dissident is simply spectacular. Balanced but assertive, the alcohol heat is remarkably well-hidden behind a wall of flavors. The sour, wild nature is readily apparent, but the massive flavors from the malt and cherries, rounded out by barrel aging, come together so nicely. This is presumably from the brand-new, November 2010 release, so this keg was less than a month old and snappier than hell. If you find a bottle, buy it; if you see it on draft, order two. Silly-drinkable for this style, and silky smooth all around.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Split a bomber with a friend. I think this was a recent acquisition of his and I'd be very interested to try a longer-aged version.

The beer came out more amber than brown and looked a bit like a double IPA, though it certainly didn't taste like one. There's a lightly fruity tart bite like you'd expect from a wild ale, and really this reminds me of an American wild ale like the Odell's Woodcut Series. You can taste a little of the cherries and they're matched with a lemon peel bite. The sour character is relatively clean considering how earthy and funky some Belgian get. Still, it's a tasty beer and I'd expect it to develop nicely over time. Even at 9%, it's relatively drinkable for the strength and I wouldn't have minded a few more glasses.

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery