The Dissident - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  11.40% ABV

Beer added by: MisterClean on 08-19-2008

Flanders style sour brown brewed with dark candi sugar and Oregon Montmorency cherries, aged in Pinot Noir barrels.

First release (9.0% ABV) - August 2008
Second release (10.5% ABV) - November 2010 (~118bbl)
Third release (11.4% ABV) - October 2012
Fourth release (10.7% ABV) - December 2014
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Dissident Alström Bros
Reviews: 451 | Hads: 1,148
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

June 20, 2012 notes.
I've had this beer on a number of occasion, usually on tap during releases and special Deschutes events but a couple times from a bottle. This version was from a 2010 bottle, 22 oz. and marked 'Best After: 11/01/11'. Opened on a Wednesday after work, with pasta leftovers; poured to a wide tulip. Just because.

Maroon wax (double layer) over the cap. A mild gusher when opened. A label design that's among the most striking I can recall.

A: Bourbon-y ruddy amber hue with a moderate level of small carbonation. Complexion is nice and clear, topping is maaayyybe 1/2 finger of beige cream, one that fades quickly to a slim crescent. Spotty film and a few lace speckles hold tightly.

S: Nostril-tweaking tartness, a hint of acetone burn. Confounding musty floralness - it's almost 'rosy', like damp petals and wet soil.

T: Mushy, over-ripened fruitiness - sweet with a touch of vinegary decay. Vinous, dry wood and a grape-like tannic backing. Oak aging shares some vanilla and a hint of char. More of the 'flower petal' bittering I picked up in the scent. Really interesting stuff.

M: Remarkable smooth and creamy, with tanginess that barely creeps in toward the finish. Phenomenal balance and super-hidden alcohol... seriously, this is 10+%???

O: REALLY enjoyable beer now, beautifully aged! Still a bit bitter and 'rooty', with nice cherry tartness and spicing. Glad to have more of these in the cellar, will try not to wait too much longer before having another. (1,492 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

22oz bottle split 3 ways into tulips (I got a larger share). 2010 vintage, "Best After 11/1/11," drank 5/31/12. Thanks to BA KevSal for sending me this awhile ago in a trade!

Appearance: Pours a semi-opaque red brown. Small spots of lacing.

Smell: Oak and lactic sourness, with some Brett tang underneath. Predominantly woody. Despite the 3 distinct aromas, very restrained in magnitude. Interesting though.

Opens up with some booziness in time, but never really takes off.

Taste: Bretty, hard candy sweetness, anise, a little acetic. Harsh bitter finish leads to some chocolate in the aftertaste. Overall impression: kind of medicinal. Some creamy vanilla oak notes underneath, overpowered by the more abrasive elements.

Grows on me as it gets boozier and the flavor smooths out. Somehow the harsh bitterness and medicinal character combine to become a pleasant counterbalance to the emerging vanilla oak flavor. Hot finish, though maybe not 10.5%~ hot. The alcohol provides a soft, pleasing burn that compliments the other flavors.

By the time I finish my glass, I want more. Great flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, a little on the fuller side. Low to moderate carbonation. Bitter and warming.

Overall: Starts out challenging, but ends up very pleasing. Worth taking the trouble to seek out (though I got it more from KevSal's generosity than any effort on my part). (1,385 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

2010 Vintage. Best after 11/1/11. Reviewed 3/24/12.
Big thanks to daysinthewake for sharing this.

Pours a ruby body that's very murky, with a minimal head. What's there is reddish-brown.

Tons of cherries on the nose. Funky, with some vinegar. Medicinal, band-aid aromas. Lovely!

Full, juicy, cherry flavors, with a little tartness. Oaky, woody flavors. Medicinal funk, with some band aids and acetic sourness. Good dose of spicing, leaving a peppery warmness in the mouth.

Fantastic. The benchmark of the style for me. Could not get enough of this. (552 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Dissident 2010 vintage, labeled best after 11/01/11 - reddish brown, very transparent, pretty bad head retention, but the beer glows. Big, huge cherry in the nose. Light, light funk with some faint lactic sour hints. No acetic acid. Little bit of sweet and sour candy, and a hint of oak. A fantastic smelling ale. Big sour cherry flavor hits you over the head, kinda of a rough biting sourness. Faintly reminding me of cough syrup on the finish. Very low in the funk department. Really no vinegary sourness to speak of it is more of a lactic / natural fruity sourness. A bit of a bitter quality that is off putting. But show cases a nice oud bruin charecter. Surprisingly not thin on the mouthfeel, but it is dry and vinous which is nice. Altogether while this is not my favorite take on the style it is a good interpretation. I get it, I just don't know if I'm a huge fan. I repeat though I feel Deschutes carried through on this well. (936 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: Slight haze on a copper, deep copper beer. Depth of color is insane. Head is dirty-white and drops to a thin ring quickly. Faint cap on the top. Tiny hints of lacing.

Smell: Slight funk over a lingering sweetness and a nice sour bite. Fresh cherry flesh and some woody, earthy notes. Tart and slightly funky. Floral in good measure with a big fruity component. Nice depth and complexity.

Taste: Less sour than the nose would imply. Bigger funk component is musty and hay-filled. Cherry makes itself known in tart, fleshy form. Some malt sweetness with a decidedly tart edge. Lingering tartness adds a brightness that helps balance the funky, woody aspect. Cherry juice and flesh in good measure. Very well balanced with a nice depth. Powdery funk. So much deliciousness.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body with a nice solid carbonation. Very dry on the finish with a lingering sour edge.

Overall: If the first bottle release is better than the second, I don't think my brain could handle it. So much flavor and just enough sour and funk to keep things exciting. Loads of flavor and a great balance. Seriously Deschutes, stop being so good at things. It makes me sad that I can't get it... (1,194 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this

Review adapted from notes taken 1/22/12

Note: 2010 reserve

Appearance: Hazy, dark orange/amber - nice, little off-white cap, spotty, wispy lacing

Smell: Lightly, delicately sour - some floral funk, some tartness - some Belgian notes - Belgian yeast funk, some clove - pale and cooked malts, some light fruit

Taste: Light sourness, tart, Belgian funk - some light fruits, bananas, apples, cherries, clove - slightly acidic, pretty wet - pale malts, caramel malts, lightly toasted bread for balance - minimal bitterness - pretty mellow overall - as I'm uploading this review, I honestly can't believe this was 10.50%

Mouthfeel: Light to medium, nice carbonation, lingering tartness

Overall: A great sour

Deschutes has an immaculate track record with me, and this is no exception. The Dissident is nicely sour and nicely balanced. I really don't understand how it was 10.50%. It could be a bit more complex, but it's still great. Nice label art, too! (997 characters)

4.15/5  rDev 0%

2008 vintage

Reddish, clear, and pink tinted body. Fizzy white head of half finger settled into a thin collar.
Smells of cranberries and dark cherries with a slight oaky note. The flavor adds a strong tartness and a slightly odd yeasty finish. Very dry and bretty.

Body is medium with a hair too much carbonation.

Overall-- this is waaaay better than the 2010... This is quite a tasty beer here, I'm sad to say this is my last bottle. (440 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

2008 vintage, courtesy of Alewatcher, thanks Jeff!

This beer pours a stained cherry wood red in color with a soapy off white lacing around the glass. The nose consists of band aids and cranberries. Despite the adjectives, it's not over the top or off putting. The flavors consist of dry, bretty, band aids with an array of pomegranate and cranberry, pretty interesting. The brett is strong in this one. It goes in between fruit and yeasty dryness. I don't think I've had this style this big and this dry before. It's an interesting drink. The alcohol is well hidden and I consider this a sipper for the style. It makes me wonder what the more recent batches are like. (668 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -6.7%

pours a copper red with a minimal head. aroma is beast, typical flanders with a strong sour cherry note. taste isnt as good, medicinal notes overpower flanders taste and sour cherries fade to the finish, i am a bit disappointed, this is not as good as i expected. off tastes effect the mouthfeel, almost puts the brakes on my tastebuds, ill take a red poppy any day over this (375 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

2010 Vintage in a tulip.

Pours a reddish-range, hazy with a finger-thick white head. Tightly packed carbonation bubbles. Looks delicious. The Dissident smellls very tart and vinegary - my mouth was watering just from the aroma. The taste...was a let down versus the nose. There's some tartness and mild sourness, and its funky, but something seemed missing. I could taste the alcohol in this sour. I corked the bottle and let it sit over night and finished it the next night and THAT glass was much better than the fresh pour. Seemed a bit more crisp and balanced. Maybe it was just a placebo, not having the high expectations I had for that first drink, or maybe my palate was just funky the previous night. I will get some more of this, if I can, just to give it more critique. Finishes dry and acidic. Nice finish.

I had real high expectations for this beer. I love Deschutes, and I love sours - this HAD to be good. My expectations were probably unrealistic, but I look forward to trying the next Dissident release (early 2013 I'm hearing). I will say that RR's Consecration has spoiled me. (1,096 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

2010 bottle. Received from Scottfrie last year in one of my first trades I believe. Poured 22oz bottle into Jackie O's snifter.

A- Pours a slightly hazy ruby color. Thin white head with just a bit of lace left behind.

S- Smells a bit sweet up front. Some sourness, tartness comes in the middle towards the end. Cherry smells dot in with the sourness.

T- Not as sour as I was expecting. Nice smooth cherry tartness to at the beginning. Some earthy, oak flavors in the background. Maybe what is described as a bit of funk at the end. Still a smooth drink.

M- Medium body, lower carbonation. A little dry.

O- I very much enjoyed this beer. Not overly sour, but with the right balance of sour and fruit. Wish I had another one of these to drink! Thanks Scott for this way back when. (784 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

- 2010 vintage off tap @ Beachwood BBQ (Long Beach, CA)
- 10 oz. pour into tulip glass on 3-Oct-11

Love the cabernet and pinot wine flavors with very nice oak presence. (171 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -6.7%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Best after 11/01/11. I got this almost a year ago in a trade and I cannot remember from whom; thank you whoever you were!

(A)- Pours a hazy crimson red color. Some white froth and lace.

(S)- A nice oaky tart cherry leather and tobacco character to it. Nice and dynamic with out being sweet. Very subtle funk.

(T)- Heavy on the oak but a dense cherry fruit to it with some subtle Brett and band aid character. Some tartness, but subtle.

(M)- A good carbonation level to it. A decent balance too, but slightly strange and medicinal.

(D)- A decent flanders, though I think it still possibly needs more time to develop better. The medicinal note became more and more prevalent as it warmed. (725 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

On-tap at Deschutes PDX Pub. Poured into Deschutes snifter glass. 2010 vintage.

A - Pours a clear ruby red with no head. No lacing either. However, it's a very attractive beer.

S - Sour cherries give off a noticeable tartness. Vinegar and yeasty funk give this beer a sour kick. Some oak notes come out. A medicinal aroma hangs in the background. Some alcohol hits the nose.

T - Tart cherries, yeasty funk, vinegar, oak and lactic sourness all hit the palate. This one is more sour than tart.

M - Light-medium body with a creamy feel. Above average amount of carbonation that only slightly pricks the tongue. Finishes dry with an acidic sourness.

O - Enjoyed this beer but I don't think it's amazing. I've had plenty of sours that bring a lot more to the table than this beer. Definitely worth a try though. If I wasn't used to drinking Russian River and Cascade sours on a semi-regular basis, I'd probably rate this beer much higher. (939 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance: Pours a reddish amber with a layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Fruity, sour vinegar with some sweet malt. Smells like it is going to be quite sour.

Taste: Some mildly sweet malt up front with a fruity sourness. Red wine notes with a mild metallic/nickel flavor. The finish is sour and a little bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a finish that is a bit slick.

Overall: This is a really good sour that could have been fantastic but there was a mild metallic note in the taste. The alcohol was almost nowhere to be found. Not sure if I would hunt down another one given the rarity. (666 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

2012 bottling; red-waxed bomber into a white wine glass -

A: Semi-murky tawny amber...decent clarity I guess, as it sits and warms...a little head and lacing but not much.

S: Tartness and some fruitiness upfront...cherries and red wine grape...decent smattering of oak notes and a decent malty sweet backbone...hints of vanilla and brown sugar here as well. Although the tartness dominates, in a sense it smells balanced.

T: More tartness with malty sweet undertones...funkiness as well...tart/sour cherry and nice underlying oak tannins...lots of vinous notes too, especially on the finish...more hints of brown sugar in the malty body. The wild yeast is carried to a sour finish by a robust brown malt body.

MF: 'Drying' sour finish but not quite puckering...medium mouthfeel with adequate palate-cleansing carbonation.

O: Really an enjoyable tart/sour brown. (866 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%

2010 Vintage, aged in my kitchen for 13 months.

Ruby amber color with an off white head. Not much lacing.

Smell is tart, with cherry fruit, vanilla, oak.

Taste is rich orange, cherries, flowers, and sugar sprinkled red grapefruit with a little sherry like oxidation. So very balanced. Simple and fantastic. (311 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

taste- sour notes in the mid part and the finish of the drink, cinnamon in the finish, wood barrel, sour cherry, a little sweet for my taste

color- deep amber, apple juice

clarity- clear

smell- met with a blast of green apple when opened. funk, apples, spice, synthetics, slightly estery

body- smooth on the palate, prickly at the front of the mouth, slightly oily, a hint of heat from the alcohol, medium-length finish that also disappears in the mouth, lean

appearance- small off-white foamy ring around the glass after the initial pour. no lacing. a little active carbonation from the etching in the tulip

overall impression- flavors are well integrated but also mellow. my impression is that this beer would have been more vibrant with less age on it and probably my preference. a little disappointed with this effort. wanted a little more sourness in the drink

notes and comments- 2010 vintage. label says best after 11/01/11. belgian-style brown ale.

glassware: tulip (983 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

22oz bottle (2010 Reserve, best after 11/1/2011) poured into a snifter. Pours a crystal clear amber w/ a crackling fizzy white head that dissipates quickly. Lacks the vigorous carbonation I was hoping for; in fact few bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is sour, vinegary, tart - reminds me of a few American wild ales I've tried. Sour cherries.

Taste is also sour and woody, not as tart as the nose. Acidic, w/ just a hint of cherry sweetness that expands as it warms.

Mouthfeel is a little prickly despite the lack of carbonation. Coats the tongue and lingers.

Overall I wasn't sure what to expect with this one and I'm a little disappointed. It's good, and different to be sure - I'm just not blown away. Still, as always I feel fortunate to have a chance to try a fine beer from one of America's best breweries. (832 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

"Every once and a while you just have to go against the grain." - From the label.

Damn, I think Deschutes should go against the grain more often. Damn tradition. Never settle. Love what this brewery is doing.

2010 Reserve. Paid $12.49 for the last bottle in Salem at Capital Market shortly before it sold out shortly after it was released. Shortly produced too. I want more.

A-Pours a hazy, ruby grapefruit red hue with a minimal head (1/2 finger) that leaves modest lacing on the glass.

S-Cherries. Blessedly sour cherries. Slight vinegar and faint alcohol. Some sweetness and citrusy grapefruit. I knew I was going to love this beer at first whiff.

T-Nice balance of tart and tangy cherries with some mild hop bitterness. Very fruity and almost festive. Even wine like, which is awesome given the grain bill per the homebrew clone recipe on the Deschutes website. The sour notes are very well balanced by residual sweetness and bitterness.

M-Very smooth and well carbonated. Feels too good to be beer.

O-I liked this more than I expected. Perhaps, it is not a traditional Flanders sour. IDGARA. This is brewed in America. Beer is better here. Belgium can have their classic bicycle races. But, I am all for improving Belgian beer styles and Deschutes has gone against the grain in a way that harmonizes with my soul. Well done Deschutes. Very well done. (1,363 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -41.4%

At last, the dissident. Been wanting this guy for a while now. Finally landed two of them. 2010 reserve, best after 11-01-11

A- Pours a still red orange with very little bubbles. No head, very clear. Some bubbles riding up the side of the glass.

S- Smells promising. Vinegar, cherries, apple peels, lemon juice. Uh Oh. Southern Comfort...gross. Smells extremely acidic and cherry like. Slight oak notes.

T- Sonofabitch. This tastes like sour Southern Comfort. Cherry zing bouncing all over in my mouth, very little sour, really sweet, bitter oak tannins. No, no, no, this is all wrong.

M- Thin mouthfeel, dry, low carbonation.

O- Nothing pisses me off more than putting a beer up on a pedestal and having it not live up to your expectations. This is the first time i have not liked a sour beer OR a beer by Deschutes. Tragic. FT: The Dissident ISO: Better sours (867 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Thank you Harrymel for sending me a couple of bottles of this in January or February of 2011. Thanks Harry!

2010 Reserve; Best after 11/1/11.

Poured into my DuClaw Colossus snifter.

A: Poured an extremely clear, brownish-red color, with a very wimpy mildly off-white head that stuck around for a while.

S: Smelled much more like a spirit than a beer, with tons of brandy notes, along some brown sugar, and melted "Astro-Pop." After I got used to the intensity of it, I thoroughly enjoy the smell on this one.

T: A bit of aging has done WONDERS for this one! My favorite part is the peppery, buttery finish that lingers in the mind, but not on the palate. The sourness was most prevalent in the mid-palate range, with a bit of lingering nuttiness immediately following.

M: The low carbonation was great, the sweetness (which is often a common complaint I hear lots with this brew) has obviously dropped off considerably, and sourness hit just the right note.

O: The Flanders Oud Bruin is quickly becoming my favorite style and this is ranked up there here on BA amongst the best of them (presently #6 in its style class here on BA). "The Dissident" did NOT "Dissapoint." [I spelled that wrong intentionally... (1,215 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Amber colored beer, a little bit too clear. Bit of brown head that didn't stay around very long. Slight bit of lace left on the sides.

S - Pretty vinous, maybe a little too much as there's a lot of vinegar in there. Some oak, little bit of tartness and funk along with some fruit.

T - Slight tartness with some sweeter berries. Wood and vinegar. It's a little bit sour, with a little bit of funk. Not bad, but there's a slight bit of mineral or something on the end of this that I found a little unpleasant. Maybe the bottle has turned.

M - Full bodied, very full bodied. Soft carbonation.

O - Not a great beer, merely okay. Had some moderately decent tastes but there was some unpleasantness on the end I didn't care for. Not super easy to drink either. (763 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

A: looks a beautiful red/orange/amber color with a tan head that goes away to leave a very small ring.

S: smells of apple, pear, maybe citrus, and a slight hint of booze.

T: tastes of sweetness, apple, pear, sourness, and bitterness on the back end.

M: very nice mouthfeel, it's smooth and shifts to crisp with the change in the glass. Nice.

O: good beer, I'd have it again. It's really one of my first sours, so I'm likely not capturing the intricacies of the beer. (474 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8%

A - Murky caramel not much head...no lace. Ring only.

S - Sour bitter astringent nose. Hint of malt.

T - Nice depth. Small caramel core surrounded by sour notes. Nice blend.

M - Light to medium body, fair balance, decent carb.

D - Masks the ABV pretty well. Tasty. (268 characters)

The Dissident from Deschutes Brewery