Fresh Hop Mirror Pond - Deschutes Brewery

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ccrida on 10-24-2008

Reviews by MaltsOfGlory:
3.8/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love the original mirror pond, not as much as I love Red Chair, but it's still awesome. Let's see how a "fresh hop" version of the beer tastes. It pours a very nice and full one finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is maybe MAYBE just a hair off white. The head is a little fluffy, bit it has already faded away to the point where I can't see any other real characteristics. The lacing looks excellent so far, we'll see how it holds up the whole way through. The body is basically the perfect color for a pale ale, orange, with some hints of yellow and maybe even red. The visibility is...eh ok, you can see the shapes of things on the other side of the glass, but you can't make out much more than that. The bubbles seem extremely low, which makes me worry about the carbonation, it's always nice to have a carbonation bite. The head is basically gone now, but it has left some bubbles on the top of the body at least. Overall a pretty damn good looking beer, we'll see how the lacing goes, but it looks good so far. I don;t know if it's because it's the first hoppy beer I have had in a while or because Deschutes doesn't skimp out on the hops, but man this beer smells hoppy! In a good way of course, but still. It borderline smells like an IPA, but at the same time it still has that distinct northwest pale ale smell, a distinct hop smell. There is a little bit of malt underneath the hops the help the balance, but for the most the smell is dominated by the hops. Citrus is also pretty present. Overall a really awesome smell, maybe this is generous, because it isn't very complex, but I am really enjoying the smell of this beer, so 4.5! Hmm, very interesting taste, not what I expected at all. First off, the hops are for sure there, no doubt, but not as much as I want, and for sure not as much as I was detecting on the smell. Secondly, the beer is slightly watery, in the middle. It goes hops, water, then malts, in order of flavors. It's not ridiculous, but it's for sure noticeable. Finally, I get a sweetness, it's not overly sweet at all, and frankly it kinda tastes nice, but it's very unexpected in the style, and I need more hops and other flavors to balance it out before I can consider it a really really "good" beer. I don't know where the sweetness is coming from because this beer isn't super boozy or malty. Overall...I dunno, a good taste for sure, but a little watery and not enough hops. I thought for sure this beer would be at least a 4, if not a 4.5, but damn...it's a 3.5 for taste. The more and more I drink it, the more shocked I am by the taste...any who. The mouthfeel is, eh not bad. It's a little bit watery in some parts but for the most part it's full and big enough, and the carbonation is spot on. I want to give it a 4 for mouthfeel, but something about the beer makes me feel like it's carbonated water in my mouth. I can't really bring myself to give it a 4, so 3.5. The drinkability is obviously very high, it's light, low in alcohol, and tasty enough. Overall on this beer...I am more than disappointed, the appearance and smell were both awesome and the flavor really fell short for me. Not a bad beer, one I wouldn't mind having again, but there are plenty of better alternatives, including the original mirror pond.

The appearance turned out to be pretty awesome. The lacing followed me all the way down the glass. The only bad things was that the head didn't last long, but I'm ok with a solid 4.5 if that was the only problem. It had great lacing and a good body and head otherwise, just not a long lasting head. (3,579 characters)

Serving glass: Poured from tap into Nonic Imperial Pint. Best by 12/11/11.

Appearance: Clear amber-orange with foamy white head and some nice lacing.

Smell: Some sweet citrus and grapefruit, grainy toasted malts and a touch of spiciness. Smells like regular Mirror Pond, but a little stronger.

Taste: Bright citrus, semi-sweet grainy malts, with some spicy bitterness at the end, and a hint of sourness. Fresh taste.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium-light body, nice dry finish.

Drinkability: Very good, but really hardly any different than standard Mirror Pond, which is only an average Pale Ale for me. I actually copied over most of notes from Mirror Pond, since it is pretty much the same. However, it is a little more aromatic, a little fresher and a little drier, and that makes all the difference. (811 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a coppery amber color, carbonation forms a 1" head, decent lacing for the hopping. Dry and fresh hop aromas aren't massive or pungent, but they're there.

Good typical Deschutes cascade hoppiness in this one. Reminds me of the good ol days of mirror pond before the palate got whacked with the last few years massive hop additions. Either way, this version stands out again as hoppy, without the old wood flavor that tends to be all too prevalent with the regular version of this beer as well as inversion ipa.

A little more piney in the mouthfeel than the regular version too. Plenty of bitterness, but at least its accompanied by a hoppy mouthfeel and not simply one dimensional bitterness. An overall good experience, and a decent, but not great price $5/22oz. considering the regular version is on sale 1/2 the time for $7/6pack. (841 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

From the dated best by bottle 12/11/11 into a standard pint glass results in a very appealing bright copper body with good clarity topped by a nice head that is somewhat short lived some lacing is there, but not much.
Aroma is pure Cascade hop flowers, wet grass and a tint of citrus, not overpowering, but straight forward.
Taste here is all about the balance, this is a American Pale Ale with crazy good hops, maltyness (sweetness) is so well balanced by the bitterness that I'm sure I'll need several doses of this to understand it's goodness. Overall a very well done beer that I'm not sure IPA lovers will get, smooth, balanced, tasty beyond the norm. Just right. (670 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Bomber served cold into an imperial pint glass.

Fresh Hop is a golden amber color with good clarity. Head retention is fair but a little lacing is left behind.

Aroma is hoppy but not overly so. In fact I don't see a huge difference from what I remember from the regular Mirror Pond. Good NW hop character.

Flavor is really nice with fresh, almost juicy, hops. Good caramel malt backbone provides good sweetness. Hops are citrusy and piney.

Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied and nicely carbonated. Good balance for a pale ale.

Overall a really good pale ale. I guess I would like to have it side-by-side with the year-round Mirror to really see the differences. (664 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

On-tap at Latona Pub. Seattle, WA. Notes from December 2010.

A: Light golden in color with a small head of white foam.

S: Fragrant aroma of hops and pine and a sweet malt kick.

T: Very flowery with strong pine flavor and a hint of malt.

M: Very easy going, light body. Nice carbonation.

O: Absolutely fantastic beer that is extremely well balanced. My favorite fresh hop so far. (384 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. brown bottle into a standard clear pint glass.

Appearance: Clear amber in color with a one-finger off-white foamy head that receded quickly but left some nice sticky lacing.

Smell: That unique grassy and hemp-like fresh hop aroma, a little pine and citrus in the blend. A nice caramel malt sweetness faintly beneath the hops.

Taste: That clean and crisp fresh hop flavor, with that unique hemp-like nature of wet hops. The initial blast of the wet hops flavor gives way to a good balance of slightly sweet roasted malts. This is just like the normal Mirror Pond Pale Ale we all know and love, but with the twist of funky fresh wet hops added to the flavor. So it's a winner for me.

Mouth Feel: Light to medium body with good crisp carbonation. Clean and refreshing on the palette.

Overall: I like fresh-hopped beers, and I like Mirror Pond Pale Ale as a good session beer..so what's not to love here? A good session beer gets just a little bit better by the use of fresh wet hops. Good stuff! (1,018 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

It's about damn time I drink a Deschutes beer. I can't wait to drink my Black Butte XXI that's over a year old. I've not reviewed a beer in awhile so going back to what I like most, pale ales, is what I should do.

This is one of those beers that looks very "clean" to me. There are barely any bubbles rising to the top of the golden-amber beer. The head doesn't grow too thick but it looks good, about a finger and a half in height and creamy. Some good retention.

Oh boy does this smell good. Fruity, grainy, and deliciously hoppy. There's a lovely barley, grainy aroma that is as strong as the floral hoppiness. Mango citrus is in there as well as a bit of pine. Actually, the more I smell this the more fruity it is. This smells great.

This is a well-balanced pale ale. All of the flavors are there. It's hoppy, but not too much, has a significant malted barley flavor, mango citrus, and pine notes. I will say that while the taste is well-balanced, it doesn't have as robust of a taste I prefer, with the hops being more pronounced. So, while I don't prefer the overall taste, in it not being "enough", it is well-balanced and all the good flavors are there.

This is one of those beers that you can down a million of them. It's lighter on the body and extremely drinkable. It has a very clean feel. It's a tad syrupy from the sweetness.

This is a well-balanced and very drinkable pale ale but for my preference the flavors aren't strong enough for me. Good, insanely drinkable, but not great. (1,502 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -6%

22oz bomber, ballard mkt

appearance: cool label - served in tyranena nonic pint, bright orange-copper body, filmy white head with light retention

smell: fresh citrus, cut grass, light bready notes

taste: The wet/fresh hop idea is cool and all but the results always seem to be somewhat disappointing - The deschutes version comes off a bit sweet and doughy. The hopping really gets lost here - no defining citrus flavor.

mouthfeel: oily medium body

overall: just ok (470 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -6%

A: Light copper with a steady one-inch head; lacing is nice

S: Pine, weed, and grass from the hops with some subtle citrus as well as quite a lot of bready biscuity notes as well

T: More citrus hop flavors than aromas indicated with some pine and grassy bitterness as well; the bready malts follow just as promised by the nose

F: Fairly creamy medium body with enough sticky texture to make this work pretty well

O: Nice hoppy pale ale that could use a bit more bite but finishes pretty nicely (497 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

1 Pint, 6 FL OZ. bottle into tulip glass.

A - Deep tawny color, light haze with a quite a bit of bubbly lace.

S - Spicy herbal and lightly pungent hop aroma, fruity and oily.

T - Medium crispness, hoppy palate with a big handful of malt. Big punch of oily hop pungent flavor, mild fruitiness and a malt sweetness that sneaks in towards the finish.

M - Good carbination, A bit of warmth in the end from the alcohol.

O - A tasty and balanced Pale, great with 5-Guys Burger & Fries!! (490 characters)

Fresh Hop Mirror Pond from Deschutes Brewery