Fresh Hop Mirror Pond - Deschutes Brewery

Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ccrida on 10-24-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fresh Hop Mirror Pond Alström Bros

4.82/5  rDev +23.3%

A "fresh hop" version of one of my favorite Pales...how could I not buy it? Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Darkness snifter for effect.

Dense, 1" off-white head. Decent retention never quite settles and some damn epic lacing. It's a slightly hazy orangey honey color. Very nice looking brew.

I love this smell. Super fruity and a bit piney. All hops. Best smelling Pale I've ever smelt.

Wow, this is a hopped up version of Mirror Pond. If the story on the bottle is true and this is what fresh heirloom Cascade hops taste like...well keep it coming Deschutes! Fruity, spicey, piney; it hits all the notes. Super clean and crisp. Nice.

Mouthfeel is still lighter than a good IPA, but there are more hop oils involved here. Well carbonated and super drinkable.

Overall, I really liked this brew and I don't fully understand why people are not as impressed with it as I was. One must remember to try and compare this to the original Mirror Pond and other Pale Ales. This is no Surly Wet, and it's not trying to be; it's still a Pale and it's one of the best I've ever had. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

4.52/5  rDev +15.6%

I had this in the Portland, Oregon location on tap. It is mentioned on the menu as a staff favorite.

Vintage 2010

Color and appearance: dark yellowish/brown, brewery describes it as tawny I would say its much lighter than a tawny port.

Smell: exceptional, unique, big fruit nose of apple and hops

Taste: nutty, squash, somewhat sweet, hop lingering balance in aftertaste

Mouthfeel: crisp like a white wine almost

Highly drinkable!

4.52/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deschutes took Chicago by storm this past month, and I was lucky to go to numerous tasting sessions that had all their brews out. I feel that I was trying too many brews at once to give it a full review, so now I got a sixer and see how this pale ale is on my palate.

A- Bright, transparent, sort of a blood orange type of hue. Lots of head retention that is nice and frothy. Lots of lacing is left behind.

S- Such a wonderful tangerine smell, with copious amount of honey that make this smell so sweet. Lastly you smell a light malt smell that goes great with the honey. You can barely smell any hops here, as some pine barely makes it through.

T- Initial light bitter, piney hops, that turns right into a sweet malt flavor that dominates my palate. I love malty beers so I may be biased. Tastes of honey biscuit, tangerine, and light grapefruit just come together to make a very solid beer.

S- Light body and light carbonation makes this beer go down fast.

O- I know hops are the craze nowadays, but this is my go to APA. This beer goes back to the basics with light amounts of hops and a nice sweet taste that goes down great.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

On-tap at Latona Pub. Seattle, WA. Notes from December 2010.

A: Light golden in color with a small head of white foam.

S: Fragrant aroma of hops and pine and a sweet malt kick.

T: Very flowery with strong pine flavor and a hint of malt.

M: Very easy going, light body. Nice carbonation.

O: Absolutely fantastic beer that is extremely well balanced. My favorite fresh hop so far.

Fresh Hop Mirror Pond from Deschutes Brewery