Fresh Hop Mirror Pond - Deschutes Brewery

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: ccrida on 10-24-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fresh Hop Mirror Pond Alström Bros
4.49/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deschutes took Chicago by storm this past month, and I was lucky to go to numerous tasting sessions that had all their brews out. I feel that I was trying too many brews at once to give it a full review, so now I got a sixer and see how this pale ale is on my palate.

A- Bright, transparent, sort of a blood orange type of hue. Lots of head retention that is nice and frothy. Lots of lacing is left behind.

S- Such a wonderful tangerine smell, with copious amount of honey that make this smell so sweet. Lastly you smell a light malt smell that goes great with the honey. You can barely smell any hops here, as some pine barely makes it through.

T- Initial light bitter, piney hops, that turns right into a sweet malt flavor that dominates my palate. I love malty beers so I may be biased. Tastes of honey biscuit, tangerine, and light grapefruit just come together to make a very solid beer.

S- Light body and light carbonation makes this beer go down fast.

O- I know hops are the craze nowadays, but this is my go to APA. This beer goes back to the basics with light amounts of hops and a nice sweet taste that goes down great.

Efay, Jan 17, 2013

CanisMajor, Jan 14, 2013

Bobheed, Jan 06, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

pukahi91, Jan 06, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +13%

Poured into a pint glass. Bottle says best by 12/11/11, I drank on 1/5/11.
A: Moderate to gentle pour yields 1/2 finger of off-white head with good retention. Hazy orange-gold liquid is pretty. I would like tighter and more copious head.
S: Caramel, lemon-lime, maris otter malt? Slight apple from yeast esters.
T: Not too old, no off flavors here. Bright and toasty. Flavors of good whole wheat bread, some herbal hop. Nice subdued and perfectly balanced bitterness is in the ESB territory. Not true to style maybe, but I enjoy it.
M: Lightly bitter. Very well balanced. Full yet not heavy.
D: Highly drinkable. ideal for an every day beer. Full flavored, easy drinking. Interesting and not overwhelming.

dfillius, Dec 04, 2012

coryscanes, Oct 03, 2012

ste5venla, Aug 17, 2012

Rathakem, Aug 08, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +13%

I can get a lot of fresh hop tones on this. I get some oil and a lot of leafy green character as well. Tastes like it is right off the vine. It's a nice fresh hopped ale, though it seems to fall off a bit quicker than I would hope for. A pretty good fresh-hopped ale, though I think my having other more distinct versions of the "style" have spoiled me.

RblWthACoz, Aug 05, 2012

BeerHunter76, Jul 04, 2012

RicoFalcon, Jul 01, 2012

WhiskeeTango, Jun 22, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: pours an orange yellowish color with a one finger head that lasts.

Smell: earthy hops are most dominate here.

Taste: caramel, golden apples, earthy hop bitterness, and a mild fruity finish.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp throughout.

Overall: this was a mild flavored beer but had a nice hop presence.

Gavage, Jun 04, 2012

Mister_Joshy, May 30, 2012

dumptruck81, May 28, 2012

Hopmodium, May 25, 2012

Mnewcomer1219, May 10, 2012

cisteve, Apr 07, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

From a bomber with a best by date of 12/11/2011. Pretty old for a fresh hop beer. Pours clear caramel color with one finger of light tan head. Head has become a ring by the half way mark. Very dense fine bubble lacing. Very light fruity hop and slight pine aroma. Taste is mildly hop fruity with a light sweetness to the malts. Well balanced. Mouthfeel was average lacking the carbonation I expected. Medium dry finish, slightly bitter. I was quite let down by this version of Mirror Pond but I should have realized it was old when I bought it. For a six month old fresh hop P.A. it was more like an English Pale Ale. I will try to buy one next fall when it is first released and revise my review accordingly.

Spikester, Mar 21, 2012