Mirror Mirror - Deschutes Brewery

Bottled/kegged vintages:
2005 - Released February 2006
2009 - Released April 2009
2014 - Released April 2014

(Beer added by: waltonc on 04-29-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mirror Mirror Alström Bros

1.35/5  rDev -68.2%

2009 vintage. Consumed a few months ago. Found my notes on this one. They're brief and to the point. I did not know there were prominent infection issues before I drank this.

A: Poured a hazy copper red/brown color with a half finger layer of creamy tan head. Average lacing/retention. 4/5

S: Caramel malt, brown sugar, vanilla and an off-puting fruity funkiness. 2/5

T/M: The aroma keyed me in to an expectation of something being off, but I did not expect this beer to be as so pungently unbalanced and undrinkable as it was. I took a large first sip (a big mistake) and the unholy medley of sugary and fruity funk and boozed toffee malt literally made me throw up. I've never had such a mess that I didn't brew myself. Very disappointed. Immediate drain pour. 1/5

O: To their credit, Deschutes sent me a very nice handwritten note explaining the infection issues and apologizing (they also reimbursed me for the bottle). They definitely were on top of their game in solving customer service issues related to the infection. That said, I would never trade for the 2009 vintage again.

1.8/5  rDev -57.5%

If by "imperial series," deschutes means "infected," then this beer is as advertised. This beer was great when fresh, but fell off a cliff in spite of the label's claim that this it should be aged. Smells heavily of cilantro, as well as a dash of orange and mint. An unfortunate combination that spoils any enjoyment I would have otherwise derived from sipping this brew - which otherwise could be slightly enjoyable in spite of the brett funk (a la BA Dipsea w/Brett). Unfortunately the cacophony of of clashing notes in the small makes this bottle of Mirror Mirror undrinkable.

Overall, yet another deschutes disaster. I look forward to Deschutes hopefully turning it around this year with the Black Butte XXIII release.

1.95/5  rDev -54%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

2009 vintage poured into a Deschutes snifter.

A- a clean, gold/copper body with a very light tan head.

S- something is definitely wrong here. There is a sour-like funk that seams out of place. Once beyond those things, a caramel/toffee-like aroma is faintly present.

T- dang it!!! It is infected. The funky flavor dominates.

M- medium to thick with a fair amount or carbonation.

O- The infection killed what would have abviously been a great brew. I would have loved to review this without having this issue, but I cannot get myself to track another bottle down. Drain pour.

2.25/5  rDev -46.9%

2.28/5  rDev -46.2%

Lightly chilled bottle into a glass. A little short of the "best after" date, but it's close enough.

A: Pours a clear, caramely-copper bourbon-like body. Retention is short to moderate. Some trails of lacing down the sides.

S: Fruity esters (green apple, cherries, plums) with a strong red wine character; it actually reminds me of grape candy, like a lollipop or something. The hops have essentially faded out at this point; mild remnants of citrus and earth, but nothing like what it was fresh. And that's expected, but the malt character is still muddled and developing.

T: Like the nose, it's not all that hoppy. Caramel malt defines the taste, with tart green apple, cherry, and plum entering the picture. There is also a strong undercurrent of grape flavor more than "red wine"; like I said above, it reminds me of candy. Quite sweet. The booze has faded out, and so have the hops, although some earthiness is still present. Again, "muddled" comes to mind. So far it hasn't gone anywhere interesting.

M: My fresh on-tap review complained about the flavors being too complex and not integrated. Now they're not complex enough, but still not integrated (or well-defined)! The booze has faded out, but the beer still needs time to come together, I feel.

D: I've got a few more bottles of this; I'm just going to age them long-term (several years) and see where they go. Right now they're not doing all that well. I liked the beer substantially better fresh.

2.33/5  rDev -45%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Attempt number 3 on this beer and I've decided to finally write a review of it. At the time of this review, this is the #10 English Barleywine. Served in a Russian River -tion glass.

Beer is brown and hazy with a thin off white head, no lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is vinegar and tartness like cherries.

Beer is thin and burns on the back of the palate, very tart on the back end and vinegar throughout. SHAME on you Deschutes.

2.46/5  rDev -42%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Brouwer’s Bigwood. 09 vintage.

Slightly hazy with a small white head and little retention. Amberish color.

Smell is faint, dry and fruity, a bit sweet.

Taste just wasn’t there. Watery and a bit of alcohol burn.

Almost no carbonation, very light bodied.

It was ok at best. This is my first Deschutes that has been a disappointment.

2.5/5  rDev -41%

2.75/5  rDev -35.1%

2.75/5  rDev -35.1%

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

Found this in a small rinky dink looking grocery store in St. Helens Oregon. That seems just remarkable to me. A Deschutes Reserve beer in a small grocery store? Oregonians have got it made! Split the bomber with my wife into two over sized red wine glasses. The appearance was of dark murky passion fruit juice. I prefer clearer barley wines or ones with richer colors such as ruby hues. The smell was fairly boring. The hops are practically gone but what is left smells like communal grape juice. Just boring generic grape smells dominate the nose. The taste has a little coffe in it and standard muddled fruity esters. mouthfeel has appropriate carbonation and the drinkability was what was expected for a beer with this much alcohol.

I was not impressed by this Reserve beer from Deschutes but that is a first. I had this back in December and did not review it but remembered it fondly. Revisiting it I was excited but ultimately let down. For $12 there is very little value in this offering and I will recommend everyone to avoid it. I have had better $4 bombers of Barley wine that I enjoyed more. Deschutes is still top notch in my eyes but perhaps the best after April 2010 date was a little misguided.

Mirror Mirror from Deschutes Brewery