Mirror Mirror - Deschutes Brewery

Bottled/kegged vintages:
2005 - Released February 2006
2009 - Released April 2009
2014 - Released April 2014
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mirror Mirror Alström Bros
Reviews: 509 | Hads: 1,618
1.42/5  rDev -66.1%

2009 vintage. Consumed a few months ago. Found my notes on this one. They're brief and to the point. I did not know there were prominent infection issues before I drank this.

A: Poured a hazy copper red/brown color with a half finger layer of creamy tan head. Average lacing/retention. 4/5

S: Caramel malt, brown sugar, vanilla and an off-puting fruity funkiness. 2/5

T/M: The aroma keyed me in to an expectation of something being off, but I did not expect this beer to be as so pungently unbalanced and undrinkable as it was. I took a large first sip (a big mistake) and the unholy medley of sugary and fruity funk and boozed toffee malt literally made me throw up. I've never had such a mess that I didn't brew myself. Very disappointed. Immediate drain pour. 1/5

O: To their credit, Deschutes sent me a very nice handwritten note explaining the infection issues and apologizing (they also reimbursed me for the bottle). They definitely were on top of their game in solving customer service issues related to the infection. That said, I would never trade for the 2009 vintage again. (1,089 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -57.5%

If by "imperial series," deschutes means "infected," then this beer is as advertised. This beer was great when fresh, but fell off a cliff in spite of the label's claim that this it should be aged. Smells heavily of cilantro, as well as a dash of orange and mint. An unfortunate combination that spoils any enjoyment I would have otherwise derived from sipping this brew - which otherwise could be slightly enjoyable in spite of the brett funk (a la BA Dipsea w/Brett). Unfortunately the cacophony of of clashing notes in the small makes this bottle of Mirror Mirror undrinkable.

Overall, yet another deschutes disaster. I look forward to Deschutes hopefully turning it around this year with the Black Butte XXIII release. (723 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

2009 vintage poured into a Deschutes snifter.

A- a clean, gold/copper body with a very light tan head.

S- something is definitely wrong here. There is a sour-like funk that seams out of place. Once beyond those things, a caramel/toffee-like aroma is faintly present.

T- dang it!!! It is infected. The funky flavor dominates.

M- medium to thick with a fair amount or carbonation.

O- The infection killed what would have abviously been a great brew. I would have loved to review this without having this issue, but I cannot get myself to track another bottle down. Drain pour. (579 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -44.9%

Lightly chilled bottle into a glass. A little short of the "best after" date, but it's close enough.

A: Pours a clear, caramely-copper bourbon-like body. Retention is short to moderate. Some trails of lacing down the sides.

S: Fruity esters (green apple, cherries, plums) with a strong red wine character; it actually reminds me of grape candy, like a lollipop or something. The hops have essentially faded out at this point; mild remnants of citrus and earth, but nothing like what it was fresh. And that's expected, but the malt character is still muddled and developing.

T: Like the nose, it's not all that hoppy. Caramel malt defines the taste, with tart green apple, cherry, and plum entering the picture. There is also a strong undercurrent of grape flavor more than "red wine"; like I said above, it reminds me of candy. Quite sweet. The booze has faded out, and so have the hops, although some earthiness is still present. Again, "muddled" comes to mind. So far it hasn't gone anywhere interesting.

M: My fresh on-tap review complained about the flavors being too complex and not integrated. Now they're not complex enough, but still not integrated (or well-defined)! The booze has faded out, but the beer still needs time to come together, I feel.

D: I've got a few more bottles of this; I'm just going to age them long-term (several years) and see where they go. Right now they're not doing all that well. I liked the beer substantially better fresh. (1,469 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Attempt number 3 on this beer and I've decided to finally write a review of it. At the time of this review, this is the #10 English Barleywine. Served in a Russian River -tion glass.

Beer is brown and hazy with a thin off white head, no lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is vinegar and tartness like cherries.

Beer is thin and burns on the back of the palate, very tart on the back end and vinegar throughout. SHAME on you Deschutes. (438 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Brouwer’s Bigwood. 09 vintage.

Slightly hazy with a small white head and little retention. Amberish color.

Smell is faint, dry and fruity, a bit sweet.

Taste just wasn’t there. Watery and a bit of alcohol burn.

Almost no carbonation, very light bodied.

It was ok at best. This is my first Deschutes that has been a disappointment. (354 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -30.8%

Found this in a small rinky dink looking grocery store in St. Helens Oregon. That seems just remarkable to me. A Deschutes Reserve beer in a small grocery store? Oregonians have got it made! Split the bomber with my wife into two over sized red wine glasses. The appearance was of dark murky passion fruit juice. I prefer clearer barley wines or ones with richer colors such as ruby hues. The smell was fairly boring. The hops are practically gone but what is left smells like communal grape juice. Just boring generic grape smells dominate the nose. The taste has a little coffe in it and standard muddled fruity esters. mouthfeel has appropriate carbonation and the drinkability was what was expected for a beer with this much alcohol.

I was not impressed by this Reserve beer from Deschutes but that is a first. I had this back in December and did not review it but remembered it fondly. Revisiting it I was excited but ultimately let down. For $12 there is very little value in this offering and I will recommend everyone to avoid it. I have had better $4 bombers of Barley wine that I enjoyed more. Deschutes is still top notch in my eyes but perhaps the best after April 2010 date was a little misguided. (1,211 characters)

2009 vintage bomber- appearance- muddy orange/tangerine, minimal head, close to zero lacing. Nose- vinous, almost kind of funky. A truly odd nose to this beer, wet funky wood. Taste- sweet caramel, followed by that same odd funk. Not infected but the astrigency from the hops and wood interplay strangely with the very sweet malts. Finish is bitter and boozy, with hop bitterness coming through in the end. Fairly thick mouthfeel. Drinkability is not great. I had higher expectations for this beer. Perhaps one to drink fresh and not cellar? (541 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -27%

Bottled generously shared by JP....welcome back friend! So nice to slam the Cubs and talk baseball and beer.

2009 into a wine glass. Amber with a thin cover and a concerted stream of tiny bubbles at the center. Nice legs but little to no lacing.

Smells of rich sweet toffee and hot medicinal hops.

Tastes much the same. Hot, hot, heat, pine sol hops, toffee, brown sugar, and strong oak and tannins at the the back end. The vaporous diesel blanket really smothers many of what I can only assume are some solid flavors underneath.

My initial impression of this beer two years ago was this needs time. Nothing has changed. This beer seems to have remained static and neither improved nor regressed. As is, this isn't a great barleywine. (738 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -27%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike.

2009 vintage

The beer is copper/orange hued with a thin, off white head that leaves sparse lacing on the tulip. The aroma offers brettanomyces, alcohol, oak, vanilla, and candied malt. The beer is just ok, and unorthodox for the style. An odd mix of sweet and sour. I don't dislike the beer, per se, but this hardly resembles a barleywine of any sort. Deschutes needs to fix these quality control issues and stop releasing infected beers. (481 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Looked great poured Into a teku. Smelled similar to other BA barley wines.Tasted ok, a bad representation of something like firestone walkers sucaba. Very thin for something barrel aged. Might be a lot better with a couple years on it. I have a few more and will review again each year. Highly disappointed by this beer. (320 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Best after 02/24/15. ABV: 11.2%. 2014 vintage. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with black wax-ed over pry-off cap shared by my friend Blakelive784 and served at fridge temp into an EKU 28 stem-snifter in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are quite high given the brewery. Reviewed as a barleywine because the label clearly identifies it as such.

Side-poured.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Two fingers wide. Plush creamy consistency. Lovely thickness. Excellent (~9-10 minute) retention. Leaves a nice even consistent lacing as it recedes. Full and luscious.

BODY: Rich vibrant dark red. Quite appealing. Translucent, with good clarity and average transparency.

Overall, it looks pretty decent for a barleywine, but isn't unique or special.

AROMA: Amber malts. Faint caramel. Has a surprisingly prominent hop presence. Cream. Malted barley.

An inoffensive aroma of mild strength.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, overcarbonated, unrefreshing, and medium-bodied. Has weight and heft on the plate. Too thick methinks.

Texture suits the taste okay, I guess. Overall presence on the palate is decent.

TASTE: Cream, malted barley, amber malts, faint caramel, a kiss of marshmallow, a hint of bread crust, and light unevocative generic hop character. Ain't nothing special. I don't even know that I like it per se.

Okay balance. Okay build. Not gestalt. Subpar depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour. I'm not loving it, but it's alright.

There isn't a lot going on here. Lacks complexity, intricacy, subtlety, and nuance.

O: Drinkable for a barleywine, but far from fantastic. I wouldn't purchase it again. Not Deschutes' strongest work. A faux pas from a great brewery. Hides its ABV decently. I expected better, but maybe it'll develop with age. Not a great beer in the style.

C+ (1,864 characters)

2009 rate.

Bottle. Pours a clear reddish with a pretty large head. Aroma is sweet raisins and a really pronounced burned cashew thing that is really off-putting. Bad. Sweet and pretty creamy in the mouth, some nice dark fruit presence shines. But a heavy bittering element really clashes here. Not sure whether this is supposed to be a hoppy expression or not. Too sweet, not balanced, and the burned nut thing going on is just bad in my opinion. On a positive note it's not all that hot for an 11% beer. (505 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -23.2%

Served in a straight pint.

Appearance: Hazy, unfiltered look. A combination of muddy oranges and lighter amber colors. Pours with a light white head. Dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Smell: I get the typical fruity notes of barleywines although the aroma seems fairly light. I do get some heavy malty notes and just a touch of booze.

Taste: Smooth, and a little spicy. I do get a few of the chewy fruity notes of the typical barleywine style but not much. This beer seems pretty bland to me.

Mouthfeel: Smooth medium bodied. Fairly pleasant.

Drinkablity: Very drinkable. The subtle flavors and smooth mouthfeel make this beer drinkable in every sense of the word.

I'll be honest, I was pretty excited for this beer and it dissapointed me in almost every way. I can't help but wonder if I got a bad bottle? It just doesn't seem right. Alas... (859 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Paid $11.99 for a bomber from BevMo in San Jose, CA. I pour into a large snifter to review. This is the 2009 reserve and I am tasting in December 2011, so it has been cellared for approximately 1.5-2 years.

Pour is moderately thick with a 3/4" dense, light beige head after a relatively aggressive pour. A nice layer of retention remains which thickens up quite a bit on the inner rim of the glass. A murky brownish amber color. Great lacing.

Taste is boozy barleywinesque. Lots of caramel malts and muted grassy/herbal hops. The hops smell as if they have really toned down over the cellaring time. Fruity aromas of white grape, candied fruit and plum add moderate complexity. Oak, rum booze and even hints of butterscotch are detected. The alcohol seems a bit too noticeable for this being 11%.

Taste is quite sweet with lots of caramel and rummy booze. Not quite a hot mess, but certainly hotter than I would like. Not sure the cellaring of this has helped it, the alcohol is not really tamed and the hops have faded. Candied raisin is strong with more hints of butterscotch. The oakiness is detected, but more of a presence would certainly benefit its taste.

Full body and excellent level of carbonation which I am happy with considering the age and style of the beer. Pretty smooth drinking and it has a medium length finish of rum, caramel and candied raisin.

Overall, a seemingly average barleywine which I do not think improved with cellaring. (1,456 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -22.7%

So, I've been dipping into the cellar a bit this weekend and last night I got an infected beer, and I think that my bad luck is continuing... This one smells a wee-bit funky/tart... Dammit. Oh well, let's give it a shot anyway. Review is from notes taken on 5/13/2012 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is a ruddy coppery color and is reminiscent of apple code; starts with a short 1/4 finger head that lingers a bit and eventually fades to a thin, nearly complete skim; body is murky and difficult to see into, but there is decently strong tiny strands of carbonation bubbling up near the sides; some sticky oily residue

Smell: Tart, acidic green apples (likely from the infection... again, dammit...); some sweet caramel maltiness and a touch of bitter hop still lingers. All in all, not bad, but I would imagine it would be superior without the slight taint to it. Fortunately I have another that may not be bugged.

Taste: As mentioned, there is definitely a tart and acidic green apple presence to it along with a saccharine funk, and it's strong up front, but followed nicely by the big caramel malts; still a fair amount of grassy and bitter hop presence in the back; some booze as well. Not displeased, but again, I feel this would be an amazing beer otherwise...

Mouthfeel: Body is of medium weight and the carbonation is still strong, but comes across as smooth and soft; bit of a sticky coating left on the palate and teeth; belly is left warm and tingly from the acidity, funk and booze.

Overall: See above... not too bad, even with the infection, but could be sooo much better. Que sera sera. Better luck next time, I guess. (1,664 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by PWoods.
Ruby brown in color. Little bit of froth on the pour.
Smell is huge malt flavor. A little bit of toffe and just a hint of sweetness.
Some faint hops in the flavor. Huge malt and toffee flavors. Pretty big in the mouthfeel. Not a whole lot of hops, which I appreciate and fairly full on the mouthfeel.
A true sipper that you have to let warmup. Good beer. (380 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -21%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Enjoy after date 2/24/15.

A: murky dark brown. Opaque as it gets. Very little tracing.

S: pretty unappealing for a barleywine. I get a lot of burnt notes of copper and toffee. Not all that bad just feels like unrefined wine notes. Is it just young?

T: Heavy vine deep grape character. It is not very fruity nor defined. I get a lot of what I would in a quad just it leaves a copper burnt toffee aftertaste. Finish is prune and fig candy sweet but just muddled to me. Expectations were high

M: full thick mouthfeel. Nothing remarkable. Doesn't really have a clean finish.

Overall: perhaps I'm rating this a bit harsh because of the best after date. Deschutes is hit and miss to me. This reminds me of an aged stone barleywine with a bit more tannin character. Ive got one in the cellar. But disappointed by the expectations set from a waxed bottle. (853 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 vintage. Thanks to mikesgroove for this one. A long time want that I just never got around to trading for. 22oz waxed and capped bomber poured into a Darkness snifter.

Beer pours a nice 1 finger smooth, light cream colored head with awesome retention. Color is a cloudy mahogany with an orange huge. Lacing is stringy and spotty with minimal stick but legs are outstanding. Really a good looking beer.

Nose is slightly awkward for a barleywine. Citrus, resin, pine, and a creamy hoppiness. Characteristic caramel, brown sugar, and toffee notes are almost entirely missing. Not bad, but not appropriate for the style.

Opens citrus and cane sugar. Some resin hop bitterness towards the middle with some slight alcohol lingering in the back. Spicy at the end with a touch of brown sugar and more citrus notes. Finish is an accented spice with creamy cane sugar in the aftertaste. Very unique.

Medium bodied with low carbonation. Creamy and smooth in the mouth and silky going down. Finish is accented with a lingering aftertaste. Slightly too hot but still solid for the style.

A solid barleywine but not at all what I expected for the style. Tastes almost like an aged IIPA with all the citrus and cane sugar notes that come to the forefront. Nice, but it doesn't have the flavor profile that I want from a barleywine. (1,331 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz. black waxed 2009 bottle poured into several snifters at a tasting with Tony in March.

It pours a copper orange hue with just a little ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. A subsequent pour had some haziness to it.

The nose was fairly muted, it had some sweetness and some kind of muddled indiscernible green hop smell to it. Some alcohol was present as well.

The taste had the typical crystal malt sweetness of a barleywine complimented by a good dose of bitterness to tell the drinker this is American styled. The back end flavor was kind of like an alcoholic candy. It was very sweet and too cloying for me to fully enjoy it. The second pour added some spiciness to it I'm attributing to the addition of some yeast.

The beer was very full bodied and had a large amount of carbonation which was too much for my personal preference. I really didn't find this particular example very drinkable mostly due to the huge amount of sweetness. I just felt really full after eight or so ounces. (1,005 characters)

Poured into a snifter on 10/25/10

2009 vintage - best after 4/20/10. Really though, what isn't best after 420? Too-easy-drug-refernce self-five!

Much appreciation to Nickd717 for the bottle

Copper & crimson in color with light brown highlights. Dense but far from murky. One finger head dissipates to a skim & some bubbles. Swirling revives a collar of foam. One strand of lace on half the glass & sporadic splotches elsewhere.

Subtle complexity describes the nose; surprising, I suppose, for an 11% abv barleywine. Nips of hops meander about. Undertones of toasted caramel, brown sugar & figs. Occasionally I get a hint of spiciness - almost like cinnamon. Some wood aromatics, too. Wisps on cherries. Actually, my first impression was a resemblance to a cherry-vanilla fountain coke. A spot of booze, as well.

At this age, I hear the hops have started to taper off. It certainly tastes like that may be the case, though there is still a modest hop kick upfront. The early middle expresses not-too-sweet caramel & other toasted sugars. The later middle offers a spicy note that seems bourbon-like & alcohol heat. The finish continues the heat & adds an oak note & a hint of vanilla. Kind of starts tasting like a whiskey & coke as it gets warm.

For the style Mirror Mirror is medium in body. Carbonation is lower than moderate, so it's a slow-moving beer. Alcohol adds an overall slickness, while there is a granular undercurrent. Residual sugars & spiciness creep back after the finish.

This seems like an almost bizarre take on the style. It isn't superb but I don't dislike it. Rather, I imagine it would be an ideal barleywine to age for various intervals. Presently, it seems to be in an awkward phase. I would like to revisit this at some point. (1,759 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%

Served in a tulip glass.

Thanks to Alpar for sharing this bottle!

I will resist the urge to make the Snow White reference here...but not the urge to mention it. So there. Anyway, this stuff pours a murky ruby-amber topped by about a half-finger or so of off-white foam. The nose comprises vague horse blanket brett, ruby reg grapefruit, orange zest, and a healthy dose of caramel. The taste holds notes of brett (now more spider-webby than horse blankety), orange flesh, mashed potatoes, parsley, and caramel. Gotta say, this was not a very pleasant flavor combination here. The body is a hefty-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I was in no way impressed with this brew. It wasn't entirely bad, per se, but I do not feel like partaking again in the near future. (806 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a Rochefort glass.

This beer is a medium red brown that has a really nice redish tent to it. The head is light tan rising about a finger but is gone right away. The lacing is light.

The aroma is light but nice and sweet with lots of raisins, toffee, and vanilla on the nose.

The taste is a little of a let down because there is a weird bitterness at the beginning and end of the sip. The end sip has a lot of alcohol and pine, which really isn't appealing.

The feel is pretty watery and the drinkability is restrainded by the bitter end.

overall, this isn't a great barleywine and probably one I would skip unless you're a huge abw fan. (680 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -19.8%

taste- sweet malt, muted hop character, flat

color- deep amber

clarity- clear

smell- yeast, mead, red wine, wood

body- smooth body with a medium length finish, slightly bitter finish

appearance- some active carbonation, little head, no lace, nice color

overall impression- disappointed, i almost think the beer is flat even though it was just purchased, very mediocre. i've had this beer at barleywine festivals and had a different opinion...maybe it doesn't translate in the bottle. (489 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -19.8%

Over a year old bottle poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

Pours ruby in color, semiopaque. The color of this beer is very nice. One finger off white head. Resides fairly quickly to a layer of foam on top, and eventually to a ring of foam.

Smells of dark berries and a hint of vanilla, kind of one dimensional. The smell also reminds me of Dr. Pepper.

Tastes of fruits, dark berries, vanilla, very slight oak barrel presence, leafy hop bitterness and a sort of oaky bitterness. Smoke, and hop bitterness linger. Bitterness is still pretty bold.

Mouthfeel is pretty full bodied. Mid carbonation and a slight bite.

This beer tastes very hoppy, but in an aged not very tasty kinda way. The hop presence is mostly just bitter without contributing positively to the flavor profile. I don't see how any more age could improve this one. (830 characters)

Mirror Mirror from Deschutes Brewery