Mirror Mirror - Deschutes Brewery

Bottled/kegged vintages:
2005 - Released February 2006
2009 - Released April 2009
2014 - Released April 2014
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mirror Mirror Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +12%

4.75/5  rDev +12%

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead Tulip.

A: The body of the beer yields a hazy amber color with some good looking orange hues. There is a decent one finger off white head that shows minimal retention and leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S: As I stick my nose into the tulip I am greeted with a the pleasant aromas of a healthy barleywine; caramel, figs, raisins, vanilla, and a touch of wood from the barrels. It appears to have aged gracefully with no signs of infection.

T: Wow, this one delivers in a big way. A smashing onslaught of caramel, oak, brown sugar, apples, figs, raisins, and a huge vanilla finish. Absolutely divine. The booze is incredibly well integrated with only a subtle touch of heat on the finish.

M: Thick and super viscous. I found myself trying to take a bite along the way.

O: One of the best barleywines I have had the pleasure of trying. The barrels have smoothed this one out and yet the oak remains subtle and pleasing. Cheers to Deschutes for such a remarkable brew.

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

650ml bomber poured into tulip 26/9/11

A glows amber when held to the light, looks thick and syrupy with a short lived two finger tan foam that leaves only a few polka dots of lace

S funky as all hell infected for sure but with some candied fruit and toffee, some booze as it warms

T not far from the smell, almost a cross between Lambic and a strong ale, not an English BW but nearly a style on its own

M feels thick and syrupy with good carbonation and leaves my lips sticking together, some heat but for 11% its understandable

O for an infected beer its not bad, not what I think of when I'm drinking an English BW but I do like the funk intended or not

I want to try a bottle as they intended because I can see this being a great beer, take a shot at it if you can if you like funk you wont be disappointed either way

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed 9/24/11 Thanks again Harry! 2009 Reserve

Poured into my Portsmouth tulip

Pours a pretty murky brown with a one finger foam head that dissipates fairly quickly. Eh, it's 11%, I'll give it that. Just the slightest hues of burnt orange around the edges when held up to the light.

I've had this beer before but it was infected. I can't smell any brett/cherry aromas in this one, just some sweet toffee and caramel.

Oh wow, this is why I love English Barleywines. This is very toffee and caramel forward, with just a hint of some grape/raisin/fig flavors. There's also a hint of coffee, or some kind of roasted malt. I really like it. A slight alcohol bite, but I'm assuming this has mellowed out significantly since bottling day. I think the slight bourbon aging marries well with the already heavy caramel flavors. Just that touch of vanilla for balance.

I'm really enjoying this. My face and throat and now my stomach are warming. It's nice and full in my mouth, and fairly sweet, but finishes juuust dry enough to keep me sipping. Sometimes barleywines are just *too* much for my palate, and it's a chore to drink them. This is not one of them.

Well done Deschutes, really pleased I got to try this beer not infected (or at least kept refrigerated long enough to keep the infection at bay.)

Mirror Mirror from Deschutes Brewery