Mirror Mirror - Deschutes Brewery

Bottled/kegged vintages:
2005 - Released February 2006
2009 - Released April 2009
2014 - Released April 2014

(Beer added by: waltonc on 04-29-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mirror Mirror Alström Bros

icanhazbeers, Jul 24, 2012

ellswrth, Jul 24, 2012

tonyclifton36, Jul 10, 2012

mdvatab, Jun 30, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Vintage 2009

pours amber with some creamy foam atop. Smells of nougat, vanilla, caramel and toasted sugars. Flavor is nicely rounded with sweet malts: toffee, caramel, brown sugar and nougat with a good hint of bitterness to complement. Medium bodied with moderate carb and slick finish. Really like how this one has matured.

harrymel, Jun 21, 2012

hiphopj5, Jun 20, 2012

carteravebrew, Jun 18, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

SummitVA, Jun 13, 2012
1.35/5  rDev -68.2%

2009 vintage. Consumed a few months ago. Found my notes on this one. They're brief and to the point. I did not know there were prominent infection issues before I drank this.

A: Poured a hazy copper red/brown color with a half finger layer of creamy tan head. Average lacing/retention. 4/5

S: Caramel malt, brown sugar, vanilla and an off-puting fruity funkiness. 2/5

T/M: The aroma keyed me in to an expectation of something being off, but I did not expect this beer to be as so pungently unbalanced and undrinkable as it was. I took a large first sip (a big mistake) and the unholy medley of sugary and fruity funk and boozed toffee malt literally made me throw up. I've never had such a mess that I didn't brew myself. Very disappointed. Immediate drain pour. 1/5

O: To their credit, Deschutes sent me a very nice handwritten note explaining the infection issues and apologizing (they also reimbursed me for the bottle). They definitely were on top of their game in solving customer service issues related to the infection. That said, I would never trade for the 2009 vintage again.

jegross2, Jun 02, 2012

aflies, May 27, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -22.6%

So, I've been dipping into the cellar a bit this weekend and last night I got an infected beer, and I think that my bad luck is continuing... This one smells a wee-bit funky/tart... Dammit. Oh well, let's give it a shot anyway. Review is from notes taken on 5/13/2012 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is a ruddy coppery color and is reminiscent of apple code; starts with a short 1/4 finger head that lingers a bit and eventually fades to a thin, nearly complete skim; body is murky and difficult to see into, but there is decently strong tiny strands of carbonation bubbling up near the sides; some sticky oily residue

Smell: Tart, acidic green apples (likely from the infection... again, dammit...); some sweet caramel maltiness and a touch of bitter hop still lingers. All in all, not bad, but I would imagine it would be superior without the slight taint to it. Fortunately I have another that may not be bugged.

Taste: As mentioned, there is definitely a tart and acidic green apple presence to it along with a saccharine funk, and it's strong up front, but followed nicely by the big caramel malts; still a fair amount of grassy and bitter hop presence in the back; some booze as well. Not displeased, but again, I feel this would be an amazing beer otherwise...

Mouthfeel: Body is of medium weight and the carbonation is still strong, but comes across as smooth and soft; bit of a sticky coating left on the palate and teeth; belly is left warm and tingly from the acidity, funk and booze.

Overall: See above... not too bad, even with the infection, but could be sooo much better. Que sera sera. Better luck next time, I guess.

bamadog, May 14, 2012

ObeMaltKinobee, May 02, 2012
4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

Big thanks to Scottfrie for sending this to me awhile back. 22oz bottle split between two. Served in a Stone IRS snifter.

A: Brown with red and amber hues, like a ripe pluot.

S: Alcohol is very present as soon as I stick my nose into the glass, like a soaked whiskey cork. Oak and cloves also have a strong presence.

T: Perfect score for this. Not infected one bit. (The news of the possibility was the only reason i opened this so soon, after falling in love with this beer the first time I had it about a year ago). Hard caramel candy at the forefront. Very scotch-like beer with a sweet brandy center. Notes of banana peel, figs, and candy apple. Light to moderate carbonation. Kind of like a really intense brown ale?

M: On the lighter side. Goes down easy for me.

O: Really well balanced barley wine. 3 years was definitely a nice age, but I am sad I don't have anymore bottles. I'll be sure to grab a couple bottles next time Deschutes releases this. Highly recommended. Thanks again, Scott!

SneezyAchew, May 02, 2012

antoines15, May 01, 2012

eawolff99, Apr 17, 2012

calmond72, Apr 11, 2012
1.95/5  rDev -54%

2009 vintage poured into a Deschutes snifter.

A- a clean, gold/copper body with a very light tan head.

S- something is definitely wrong here. There is a sour-like funk that seams out of place. Once beyond those things, a caramel/toffee-like aroma is faintly present.

T- dang it!!! It is infected. The funky flavor dominates.

M- medium to thick with a fair amount or carbonation.

O- The infection killed what would have abviously been a great brew. I would have loved to review this without having this issue, but I cannot get myself to track another bottle down. Drain pour.

Ungertaker, Apr 01, 2012

stretke, Mar 25, 2012

jkane101, Mar 10, 2012

doughanson78, Mar 03, 2012

piclee, Mar 03, 2012

jag21, Feb 21, 2012

shelby415, Feb 21, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Copper and light tan head that holds itself.

S: Crazy dark fruit smells take over everything

T: I was so worried that this beer was going to be infected but holy cow did this beer taste good. Deep caramel notes followed by rich fig and fruit flavors. Ahh so good the oak comes through at the end to gently kick in more complexity

M: Fantastically dry and rich that lingers all over the tongue.

O: Deschutes doing it again. Glad this one wasn't infected like some others. Delicious easy drinking barley wine that ages wonderfully.

PatrickSwayze, Feb 19, 2012