Red Chair NWPA - Deschutes Brewery

Available: January to May
Alc. by Vol.: 6.2%
IBUs: 60

192 calories per 12 oz serving
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Chair NWPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,273 | Reviews: 563

The other reviews here said it all, this one needs no further technical explanation. As a Mirror Pond fan, I must say that this one is at even higher level than the former great brew. It is a home run for Deschutes, much like the SF Giants 2012 season. It makes me glad that it's January, and I will use this amazing Red Chair brew to celebrate the upcoming SF 49ers Super Bowl win!

This is quite possibly the most balanced pale ale ever, no wonder it has such top level awards. The taste and hops are very similar to Mirror Pond, but there is the Grapefruity, orange, and even mango-ish explosion added to it, with a more amazing balance between the big hops, and toasty malt. It is a "perfectly complex" beer, a pinnacle of fine brewing ingredients and skill. A must have!

Are you kidding me? This brew runs the gamut of being a lawnmower beer to a winter warmer. Just the right balance of malt and hops. Wish it wasn't a seasonal. It is in WI. I love it. Plan on buying it in copious quantities when available.

Yes, yes, yes, yes omg, omg, omg!!!

Appearance: Clear amber. White head that dissipates to a thin layer. Good lacing.

Smell: Beautiful hop aroma with a very balanced malt backbone. Hops are floral and the malt is nice and bready.

Taste: follows the nose nicely.

Mouthfeel: probably the most drinkable american beer I've ever had. Perfect carbonation. Very very smooth.

Overall: Its a crime against humanity that this isn't a year around beer. The price is supremely cheap for the quality.

Theres a reason this beer won beer of the world 2 years now. 2010 and 2012. Red chair has a very nice malty-hoppy flavor with a crisp taste and a nice mellow finish. one of my favorite deschuttes beers. Cheers to becoming beer of the world. worth every bit of respect from me. this brewery knows what theyre doing.

4.98/5  rDev +21.5%

Somehow all the reviews I read on this have not hit the note, except one. The taste is so unique, you will only know it when you drink it. But, let me describe it for you the best I can, OK? First, pear, apricot and cherry hits the note with the right amount of carbonation. Cherry note finish, but dry and soothing with creamy finish. Spot on in my book, this is a A+ beer, got to get it every season. Great job, Deschutes!!!!

4.95/5  rDev +20.7%

12 oz bottle with a beautiful scene , was poured into a pint glass Foamed very little then dissipated quite quickly and is leaving no lace on the glass, the beer itself is a wonderfully rust orange with beautiful canary highlights.

I smell a grape-fruity hop with a little grain behind it.

Taste is Juniper at first mellowing into some malt but snaps back to a more grapefruit bitterness towards the end of your first few sips.

Good crisp mouth feel with just the right amount of carbination. leaves the palate a little sticky but that's nothing a few more brews wont help out!

This is a very drinkable beer.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Very delicious and refreshing. Flavorful. Sweet bread taste with a little bitterness.

4.88/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Gifted to me by a client from Bend, OR a couple weeks ago. Excited to try based on the awesome reviews. Best by 4/4/13.

Pours a rich reddish-bronze with a perfect clarity. A fluffy bumpy creamy off-white heads sits steadily at 1". Attractive carbonation rises at a kinetic pace.

The scent is vanilla creme with juicy tropical hoppiness. Perfectly balanced malt and hop. Perfectly balance for sure. Fruit cocktail syrup nose.

The flavor is definitely more sharp hops at the forefront, that titilate the tongue. The creamy malty sweetness still supports the star of the show (hops), but the sing a mean back-up. Balance, again, is the key.

Drinkability is extremely high and the mouthfeel is perfectly medium. Soft, creamy, prickly and comforting. A nice chalky flavorful finish.

Overall a simply perfect pale ale that I'm of so grateful to have tried. If I lived in the area, I'd drink this as fresh from the tap as possible. I cannot remember a pale ale with so much attractive pronounced goodness, but still keeping a blue-collar stature and humbleness. Simply love this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

A - Rich amber color. Fluffy foam that fades away nicely.

S - Sweet, hoppy, with a dash of malt. Inviting.

T - Also sweet, with a piney bitterness that sinks into your tongue, then disappears. Subtle aftertaste. Some citrus in there somewhere, I'm sure.

M - Ever so crisp and refreshing. It almost feels out of place in winter, as I could easily imagine putting a few of these back on a hot summer day.

D - I repeat, I could easily imagine putting a few of these back on a hot summer day.

Overall - Yum. One of the best new(ish) beers I've had in a while.

4.84/5  rDev +18%

A dark amber with a thumbs width white head that started to dwindle just as soon as I put the glass down. Great lacing. A delicious aroma; sweet citric heaven. One of the best grapefruit aromas I have come across from any beer, like I just cut open a fresh grapefruit and put it right up to my nose. Sharp, pointy, crisp. Flavor is just as good with the marriage between malt and hops. A light caramel malt base alongside a wonderful hit of ruby red grapefruit. There is a very balanced layer of piney bitterness throughout. A very crisp, silky mouthfeel aided by the carbonation. Wow, this is a great beer. Extremely balanced, extremely drinkable, extremely good. I can't get enough of this one and can't believe its only seasonal. I could drink this 365 without any problems. So damn good.

4.83/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A must have Pale Ale!

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a nice head with its long lasting lacing lasts throughout the drinking of a glass/bottle of this NWPA.

The aroma is a well blended mix of light caramel malts and a little heavier on the hops and this transfers well into its taste, heavier on the hops with a lesser but still there caramel malt sweetness.

This is exactly my kind of drink, lots of hops (or at least hops dominate), light malts hints, and no alcohol aroma or taste like most imperials come with. I could drink a lot of these, well since I found this at Celebrate (a local off sale outlet) I've been doing just that.

Before I forget, I should mention the aftertaste, it's a dry but not overly dry with a light caramel malt tint.

4.81/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle into tulip

Appearance - Golden amber leans to the dark side, ever so slightly hazy, 1 finger off-white head retains very well and leaves lots of sticky lacing.

Smell - Citrusy hops are very smooth and juicy sweet; orange marmalade comes to mind immediately, also a touch of pine. Fruity esters prevalent, as well as a doughy biscuit malt.

Taste - Take the smell and amplifies it 100x. Big citrus punch up front: straight up sweet orange marmalade hopping mixed with a bit of piney dankness. The hops meld beautifully with fruity, yeasty notes as prominent toasty, biscuity malts begin to steal the show and the beer dries out in a hurry. Finishes juuuust off-dry with moderately low pine resiny bitterness.

Feel - Super smooth medium body, moderately high carbonation moves this around the palate perfectly. Crisp and refreshing. This beer goes down ridiculously easy: "drinkable" would be an understatement.

Overall - "Big flavor, perfectly balanced", are the 4 words that best describe this for me. A beer with a delicious hop punch that doesn't shy away from letting a tasty malt backbone get some air-time too. Bitterness is low, and dries the palate just enough to make you yearn for the next sip. The body and feel are ethereal... Just so damn easy to knock these back. When I think of "beer", this is the one I think about. This beer is in near-perfect harmony.

4.76/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely delicious and very enjoyable. A great red brew..

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at the Bryant Lake Bowl and Tilia. A: Brilliant Amber, 1” snow white foam collar that clings to the side of the glass leaving sheets of lace. S: Citrus and grapefruit with some floral, fruit, melon. T: A rich, creamy fruit filled palate sweetened with light caramel that dries out with a grapefruit rind bitterness on the finish. M: Medium body with medium levels of carbonation. The carbonation is very creamy and soft. O: A very drinkable American Pale Ale with character.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Pours a beautiful red/amber with a thick off white head.
Smell: Floral hops balanced by the sweet, bready malt backbone. A great nose.
Taste: Tons of sweet fruity flavor to this one balanced by floral and slightly citrusy hops. I get flavors of apples, pears, and kiwis. One of my favorite tasting pale ales because it wasn't quite what I normally expect the flavor profile to be.
Feel: Creamy smooth, slightly dry finish. Perfect level of carbonation.
Overall: My favorite pale ale and a great, balanced example of the style.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Im digging this well done this would be a good starter into ipa not super hop charged just a very smooth beer

4.73/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured dark amber color. Slightly hazy. Very thick foamy head with large amount of lacing along the glass. Strong citrus smell. Can also pick out pine, maybe grapefruit. Hop forward tastes that mellows to a more malty smooth presence. Still retains the bitter aftertaste I love about pale ales and IPAs. Strong citrus and pine taste with a hint of grapefruit. For some reason, I keep on thinking cherries as well after taking a drink. Excellent, smooth beer that you can enjoy in multiples on a nice spring day.

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

Were God to appear to a human and ask him to show Him his greatest achievement, the man would be in remiss if he didn't give God a mug of 50 degree Red Chair NWPA. The balance in this brew is ridiculous. A sweet citrusy hoppy profile gives way to a smooth caramel/bready maltiness that then, just as quickly, lends itself back into a crisp piney finish that lingers while reminding you of the malty profile it just impressed upon you. This seriously may be the most well balanced beer I've ever tasted. I've had this beer for the past four years before finally reviewing it. It is simply unmatched in balance. Damned near a perfect beer in my humble beer loving opinion. Cheers!

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

A - Beautifully clear amber/copper color with a one finger fluffy ivory colored head with good retention. Lacing is very spotty.

S - Huge bouquet of citrus and orange with a strong malt backbone. Pine is very subtle in the background.

T - Very tasty. I have loved this beer since i first tried it. This bottle is a bit old, brewed in April, and i feel the hops have lost their potency, but i still really enjoy this beer. It was better fresh, but aged fairly well. Orange and citrus with a nice pine bite. I find the malts more prevalent now than i did when i drank the first five bottles of my six pack.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

D - This review comes a bit late, as its almost 5 months old, but i cant help but love this beer. I hope its brewed again. A winner in my book. Very drinkable. So drinkable that i didnt want to drink the last one.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

Clean and spectacular for me. Everything I could ask for in a hop forward pale ale, of which I am not normally a big fan. Deschutes must have a fine, fine water supply for their beer, it always tastes very clean.

4.69/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip. Smells of citrus and a good malt aroma as well.

I'm not exactly sure what a NWPA is supposed to taste like, but I'm pretty sure this one is close to perfect. Perfectly balanced forward citrus hop, I'd guess 40 or so IBU's. The malt stays in the background where it should be. It's crisp and refreshing. Not much else to say, it's just a damn fine pale ale. I could drink these all day and I love to keep a sixer in the fridge. Shame it's not year round.

Mouthfeel is a good carbonation, not sticky, not heavy. Overall, it's probably my second favorite pale ale, and it's nearly my favorite. Don't miss it.

4.69/5  rDev +14.4%

Prying the top of my first of a handful of these resulted in an immediate aroma of hops and various fruit. The sweet undertones in the smell were definitely alluring to a delicious ale.

When turned adjacent against my bar glass, a burnt, glowing, amber confection pours, leaving a modest head. This was a beautiful creation.

When brought to my lips, my senses were overwhelmed by not only the scents filling my nose, but the many layers of sweet grapes and tinges of orange zest amalgamated with bitter, pungent hops. This became a flavor combination quickly familiar with my palate, and was constantly and consistently swilled. The medium bodied, lightly carbonated brew worked exceedingly well with my tummy.

All in all, an undeniable grade-A beer.

4.67/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Really good! Smooth, enough hoppiness to notice, but not overpowering, and a little bit of citrus. Very nice...too bad it's only a seasonal, could definitely drink this one year round!

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Awesome the first drink, awesome in the middle, and awesome at the end. There NWPA is a great beer. Shouldn't be surprised from Deschutes!! Red chair is epic.

Red Chair NWPA from Deschutes Brewery