Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale) - Deschutes Brewery

Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 01-27-2010

Released February 2010. This is, according to the brewer at the Portland Pub, the same recipe as 'Super Jubel', but was aged in pinot noir barrels for 13-months before the release.

Approx. 500 BBL produced.

10% Alcohol by Volume (ABV)
55 International Bittering Units (IBUs)
Ratings: 590 | Reviews: 337

Is this the Super Jubel in a bottle? Please, beer gods, say yes! Poured into my favorite gigantic snifter which I tend to use for all of my 22oz bottle purposes, I didn't even think of chilling this beauty as I pull it right off the shelf and begin pouring. Man, this thing is so brown it's almost black! The head swelled up and has produced an excellent stable lacing around the edge that sticks as though made of a thin bubble paste. The nose of a malt nut with slight brown sugar and spice invade my senses as i begin imbibing this amazing offering. I cannot describe the taste. I can only believe noises similar to those of orgasmic whales would suffice to cover the way this beer makes my mouth react. Anything that can be this beautiful to drink simply deserves to be crowned. I can chug this. I can sip this. I can cook with this. I can pair this with anything. I can wholeheartedly recommend buying a case of this and having one now, and one every year to follow until they brew another one. Thank you, Deschutes. I love you.

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

On-tap at the Deschutes Pub in Portland. Served in a Deschutes snifter.

Appearance -- nearly black with a light brown head reminiscent of brown sugar that dissipates quickly, but not completely. When held up to the light, the edges are illuminated with a dark, ominous crimson.

Smell -- in a word: sweet. Malty, with hints of burnt sugar, molasses, caramel. Reminds me of a freshly-torched creme brulee.

Taste -- molasses, caramel, and port-like raisin/plum flavors that would otherwise seem too sweet if not for the malty, warm alcohol that balances the beer quite nicely.

Mouthfeel -- full-bodied, mildly carbonated, and very smooth.

Drinkability -- very drinkable, though potentially too robust for some. An excellent sipping beer. One of my favorites.

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Jubel 2010 balances flavor complexity with satisfying drinkability. The aroma is of fruit and Belgian yeast spiciness. A first sip contained dark fruit, raisins, and red wine, countered by a medium yeast funky spiciness. Medium malt sweetness and flavor provided a stiff backbone while the medium-light body and subtle hops cleared everything out and got me ready for another sip. Jubel 2010 makes Belgian yeast and complex wine barrel flavors accessible to many drinkers. I would gladly drink several of this pleasurable exotic brew, discovering more complexities each time in the wild blend of fruit and funk.

4.85/5  rDev +16%

A- Deep, dark brown-red with a hazy transparency and a greenish-brown head film of tight head that leaves streaks and globs of lacing

S- Chocolate cake with raspberry filling. Decadent and boozy with brilliantly tart berry notes balanced out by sweet, gooey fudge and savory cake.

T- Layers of flavor typical to the most opulent of beers make this a hard taste to put into words. I want to say decadent alcohol leads the parade and also follows up the back. Sweet on the edges and bitter in the center. Malt sweetness ranges from sticky sugar to intense dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is where the bitterness picks up and kicks in. The bitter flavor then moves to raspberry and settles into blackberry as the sweetness again begins to shine.

M- I could go for something a bit more viscous and less carbonated, but the mouthfeel definitely makes this beer quicker to drink.

D- Thanks to this brew for providing me with the inspiration to write such a long review that may not make much sense. Truly a complex beer with many savory facets of decadence. My only complaint is that the alcohol is a bit too apparent- but it is what is to be expected of a 10% bomb of a beer.

4.85/5  rDev +16%

All i'm going to say is that this beer is took well to a little bit of age. Had a bottle in Feb.and thought it was great but not amazing. 6 months later, and the beer is silky smooth, heat from alc. is almost 0, and flavors have really come together nicely. have access to more and going to buy another bottle and sit on it for another 6 months to a year.

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Two year old bottle, properly cellared, poured into a Gulden Draak flute. Pours a dark red-brown amber with a finger of fine light tan head. Looks nice. Aroma of roasted malts, dark fruit, cherries, hint of vanilla and oak, also nice. Flavor is dark fruit, plums, cherries, sweet malt. Finish is sherry like, but not vinous, hints of pepper and cinnamon. Very complex and beautifully integrated. Medium to heavy, creamy body. A really superb ale, wonderfully done.

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Pours dark brown and crisp looking. Very little head with little lacing.

S: Malty up front with dried fruit and spicy notes. There is a sour oakiness and molasses.

T: So many flavors at play here. Chocolate is a strong one with caramel and toasted malts. There are sour and sweet fruit notes both at play. There is also a spicy citrusy hoppiness to it. many more flavors swirl around in my mouth, specialty as the beer warms.

M: Very heavy body, medium carbonation and a boozy undertone.

D: Maybe the most tasty beer I have ever had.

4.79/5  rDev +14.6%

This is one of those beers. The kinds you see in the display case of high end expensive goods. The ones with high quality wax that you struggle with to even break into the thing. Yeah, one of those kinds.

Being that this is my pre-birthday celebration, I am a bit drunk anyways. Getting the wax off was like James Franco surgically cutting his arm off in 127 hours. Time seemed to slow down, and insanity pursued.

Thank god those 127 hours were worth the wait.

Deep brown body, with some off white sticky lacing.

The aroma is wonderful, just like something out of a bakery. Dates and raisins, molasses, brown sugar. Cinnamon, apple, oranges, and plenty of tart dark fruits. Very nice, just like a fresh out of the oven warm apple pie. Well balanced.

Dark fruits dominate the flavor, with amazing complexity. Plums, raspberry, prunes, and fresh squeezed white grapefruit. Notes of bitter, earthy, tangy, sweet, spicy, neutral, cloying, and assertive all blend together nicely. The complexity is almost too much at once to describe. The deepness of the fruits, and the very well pronounced earthy malt and floral hop background to support it is truly something to behold.

There is just a whole lot going on here, and the amazing this is my arm is still stuck in between a rock and this is the best beer I've had in a long time.

Now you might not know this about me, but I will say it anyways.

You know, I've been thinking. Everything is... just comes together. It's me. I chose this. I chose all this. This rock... this rock has been waiting for me my entire life. It's entire life, ever since it was a bit of meteorite a million, billion years ago. In space. It's been waiting, to come here. Right, right here. I've been moving towards it my entire life. The minute I was born, every breath that I've taken, every action has been leading me to this crack on the out surface.

It's time to say goodbye now, I'm running out of things to say. Mom, Dad, I really love you guys. I wanted to take this time to say the times we've spent together have been awesome. I haven't appreciated you in my own the way I know I could.

And Deschutes, this is one hell of a beer.

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%

I just drank this beer from a 22oz bomber from bevmo. I grabbed the last four bottles and had to drink one for a pre-lim tasting. I have three more that will age and reach their best after date.

The initial pour was a dark traslucent body with redish hues due to extensive pinot noir barrel aging.

The taste was great and undescribable. There was so much going that I could not even define what I was tasting. This was not a bad thing however, the tastes I could not describe were absolutely great. This beer will be even better when it has a chance to age several years due to the pinot noir barrel aging. The tannis will soften the beer ginving it more nuiances as it ages for several decades.

I highly recommend this beer and hope anyone will get to try this beer in the next decade.

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%

Re-review: 27 Nov 2010

Pours crystal clear amber-red body, one finger of tan/khaki head that leaves behind chunky lacing. Smells delicious, dark, figgy fruit, sweet bready malt, great stuff. Tast is complex, figs, malt sweetness, slight chocolate, toast, raisins. Off-dry with a tannic pucker, slight crispy roast flavor, with some lingering bitterness. Carbonation is high, mouthfeel is thick yet picked up off of the tongue by the CO2. Sticky sweet, very drinkable but would definately benefit with a tad more age.

Poured from a 22z bomber into a tulip. 3/27/10

A- Tan head quickly breaks down into a nebulous crust atop a clear dark burgandy body. Carbonation can be seen escaping up the sides of the glass, which contributes to the ever changing crust atop this beer. Legs of syrup cling to the sides of my tulip, trapping pillows of crusty foam. As it warms the crust remains, like thin ice on a delicious pond on a cold winter's day. I'm only dinging this half a point because of the lack of head, some may say this is appropriate for the style- I say it is my review!

S- Sweet fruit, vinous, almost sherry-like. This smells great, like a fine wine. I can already tell this will cellar excellently.

T- Caramel, warming sherry, malt sugar, raisins with a slight oak presence as it warms.

M- Coats the mouth well, carbonation adds a deeper level of creaminess while it also pops and bites. Man this feels good.

D- I could drink so much of this it is not even funny. The alcohol burn is present but will mellow out nicely with age.

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a super dark murky amber, more like mahogony with a dark tan/light brown head that lingers and laces the glass nicely. The smell is of sweet fruits (cherry, plum, raisins, figs, even strawberry) and dark malts. Some brown sugar and caramel notes.

This really is jubelale on steroids, and it is quite amazing, though I think some aging will make it even better. Super complex. Lots of chocolate up front, which came as a surprise. Some caramel and brown sugar up front too. The middle is all fruit and spices. Cherry, raisins, and figs. In the finish the hops and malts come together in great harmony. Bitter hops, like those of fresh jubelale, and roasty malts. Alcohol barely becomes noticeable in the aftertaste. It is well hidden though. The barrel aging is hardly noticeable with everything else going on.

Mouthfeel is a little light and a little too dry on the palate, but it is very well carbonated. Dangerously drinkable for a 10% beer.

Once again, Deschutes' reserve series comes through with a ridiculously well made beer. Bravo.

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pulled this out of the cellar after 9 months. Served at about 60 degrees.

Appearance - Pours with medium viscosity, dark brown, 1/4 inch head, moderate lacing

Smell - Fruit, pinot, oak, candy

Taste - Dark fruit, barrel imparts dominant but smooth pinot and oak notes throughout, candied sugars are present

Mouthfeel - Medium body, heavy carbonation

Drinkability - Very complex, much of the initial alcohol is now smooth, drinks very well, worth putting some age on

4.69/5  rDev +12.2%

Had this on tap at the pub for the release party. Gary Fish even showed up to give a little speech about the history of this beer...very cool! Drinking out of the Jubel 2010 Commemorative glass (kind of like a pinot noir glass)

A: Pours a dark chocolate brown body with hints of ruby in the light, and the body is slightly transparent on the edges. Small one finger head falls to thin lacing. Appears more like a barleywine than an American Strong, fairly viscous...

S: Very barleywine-like, lots of dark fruit, roasted caramel malt, toffee, apricot, green apple, very complex and almost reminiscent of a Belgian triple. Excited to taste it!

T: Leads out with the fruit, lots of lighter fruits. Definitely get the green apple, faint apricot, raisin, and a little honey. Then the malt comes through with caramel, toffee, and a little roastiness that rounds out the sweetness of the fruits. The finish is long with a faint hint of grassy floral hop.

M: I expected it to be heavier, but that's a good thing, the body comes across closer to medium than heavy, but definitely viscous. The carbonation on this beer is unreal, it is present but so soft and creamy it is amazing how smooth this is especially for 11%!

D: Dangerously drinkable for 11%...the booze comes through ever so faint on the finish which detracts from the drinkability just a touch. Overall this beer is fantastic, definitely world class and one that I will be picking up several of!

4.68/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Given to me as a gift, excellent beer I will probably never get my hands on again!

4.68/5  rDev +12%

I've had several bombers of this, and fresh off the tap. Great both ways.

Appearance:
I love the color of this. A nice deep dark ruby color, with a decent reddish/pink head. Plenty of lacy. Looks wonderful!

Smell:
The pinot barrel really comes through. Malty and fruity. There is a slight alcohol smell on the end, but not too hot.

Taste:
I honestly can't make out even a fraction of whats going on in here. Very complex, but delicious. Dark fruits, oak, creamy, a touch of bitterness. I'm loving every bit of it.

Mouthfeel:
I think this is perfectly carbonated. Not as heavy as you'd think. No alcohol burn either.

Drinkability:
Such big flavors and balanced mouth feel really help hide the alcohol. This might be the most sessionable 10% beer I've ever had. Bombers of this have gone down very easy, and I went through about 4 goblets of it without blinking on another occassion.

I was never a fan of Jubelale, but this is a completely different beast! I need to pick up a few more bottles of this to cellar!

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a bottle into a lagunitas "mason jar" glass.

Appearance: pours a cloudy reddish dark brown. small head collects at top and disseminates.

Smell: sweet. hints of cocoa, spice, and dark fruit.

Taste: sweet with some alcohol presence but very smooth. somewhere between a porter, stout, brown ale and abbey ale.

Mouthfeel: On the thick side of medium body with a dry finish.

Drinkability: goes down smooth. only want to drink it one sip at a time anyway.

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Pours a burnt sienna with suprisingly a very small head produced. The head is less than a 1/8 inch to start and reduces to a minimal lacing across the top of the beer.

S- Very oak laced with the heft of a english barleywine. Dark figs and almost burnt toffee.

T- Initially dark fruit with a spice that is noticed early in the profile but lost at the end to a dry finish. There is a noted bitterness but this I believe comes more from the wine barrel tones than any hops. As it warms more heat comes out in the beer quality with mild oak notes but continues with the dry finish.

M- Middle of the pack weight in the mouth with minimal carbination. I am glad the carbination is down played is this beer because with any higher carbination it would be destracting.

O- This was a damn fine beer that I was really glad that I could track down in a trade. I could say with no question that this has becaome one of my top 10.

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

When a brewery only makes a beer once a decade you better bet it is going to be pretty damn good! This pours a mild brown with a red tinge to it when held up to light. The smell is very sweet, that of grapes, cherries, even candy sugar. At the initial taste the mouth feel is a bit on the light side...which is kind of refreshing at this point in the evening. Great malt flavor with just enough carbonation and a great mild dry wine finish!!! This beer is meant to be aged for up to ten years and I think it will do so very well. I look forward to getting some more bottles and tasting them a couple of years from now! Give this beer a solid 4.5 at this stage in its development!

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Excellent rare offering from Deschutes. Nice looking wax-cap bottle with Best after 1/29/2011 date. I dutifully waited until 1/30 to consume. Poured black with brown hue, tan frothy head and nice continous lace. Malty, sweet and spicy aroma with caramel vanilla, oak, and earthy smells. No alcohol to speak of in aroma or flavor really - nicely hidden at 10%. Warm, malty, caramel flavors upfront complicated with oak/vanilla and dried plums leading up to a late sweet and salty aftertaste. Medium to full bodied and lightly carbonated. This beer has excellent flavors in a fairly complicated beer. Perhaps more belgian in style because it is so well crafted.

4.64/5  rDev +11%

My first taste of Jubel. And a good one it is.

Pours a deep redish brown. Decent tan head that disapated to a ring/film that lends a decent amount of lacing.

Aroma is of caramels and burnt sugars. Tons of dark fruits. Awesome.

Tastes just as it smells. Very tasty. A little bit of bourbon and oak in the flavor. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is viscous but expected for style. Nice light thin bubble carb.

Overall a very tasty beer. Trade for it if you have to. Your not going to want to miss it. Couldn't drink a ton of this in one sitting though.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The pour was a dark red as it came out of the bottle. As the glass filled, it darkened to a more brown color. My first thought was a darker cognac color. When I got near the bottom of the snifter, I noticed the color to be back to the cogac color with lighter red hues similar to a pinot color.

Head was small and weak. Very little carbonation at this point. More than likely opened this one too early. Its ok for me, I have more cellared. If you only have 1, you should probably wait to open yours.

The nose is very pleasant. Pinot, oak, cherries, and malt dominated for me. Maybe I'm too used to big beers, but I did not pick up much alcohol in the nose at all.

The taste is right on, yet again, for Deschutes with the reserve series. I was concerned being 100% barrel aged before drinking. It was a non issue. Everything is perfectly balanced. Stong Jubelale + pinot + oak + cherries = goodness.

My thoughts are, this beer will be only that much better with time. I will definitely pick up more to put away for future use.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

Huge thanks to sirdrinknp for yet another superlative Oregon brew.

A dark beige, thin cap of foam relaxes to a persistent skim atop a cordovan, nearly opaque, beauty of a beer.

What an aroma! Hints of citrus and floral notes dance atop dark caramel, rounded yeast, vanilla, very light hints of stone fruit, and a very subtle spiciness from the alcohol. Hard to pry my nose from the edge of the snifter.

Very full flavor, astoundingly delicious. All the flavors of the nose appear in varying proportions as the beer warms, and they are joined in the mouth by some nice herbal bitter which wraps the finish in a drying kiss that absolutely is stunning on the palate. Very complex, that rare taste that morphs to different profiles as the beer nears room temp., and which offers a changing balance that marks the true art of brewing. This beer is beyond delicious, it is a drinkable masterpiece.

The mouthfeel is perfection. Low carb., very viscous, light in the mouth, and a finish that is the wet dream of every home brewer in the country.

Drinkability is off the charts. If I had an unlimited supply of this, my heirs would certainly discuss its contributive value at my funeral.

Impression: I am presently seeking trades for as much of this as my wallet will allow. With a year on it this may be the best beer ever brewed.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

I'm no longer surprised when Deschutes strikes a high note on a big beer. These past few years have seen them excel from brewers of reliable standbies to brewers of high clout classics. Jubel 2010 extends their winning streak with this pinot barrel aged strong ale.

2010 is a highly complex strong ale with notes of chocolate, date, licorice, brown sugar, and strong hop contours. Alcohol makes no intrusion and the beer still manages to balance out as agreeably sweet. It is ruby black and arrives with a smattering of suds. Satisfying, sustained, and sensual in every dimension.

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

Reviewed from notes, while the site was down :(

Served in a 16.9 oz goblet.

Appearance: Dark murky brown. Barely any head, just a nice ring of tight tan bubbles around the edge of the glass. Very noticeable alcohol legs.

Smell: Sweet maltiness and alcohol hit immediately, followed by the dark fruits, plums, figs, and raisins.

Taste: Very sweet! Tons of dark fruit notes just like the smell. Not too much alcohol bite, which is surprising for 10% ABV. Though there's a good bit of alcohol warmth on the finish. The hops were barely perceptible, but that was expected from a 2 year old beer.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light to medium body, with a nice crisp finish from the very light carbonation. Kind of surprised by the whole mouthfeel on this one. I was expecting something completely different.

Overall: Very, very good brew! As I said mine was aged for 2 years prior to drinking so it was amazingly smooth and sweet. Nowhere near as boozy as I expected it to be, would for sure buy this brew again.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

thrilled to finally try this one, i let it settle down a touch before i opened up last week. slowly decanted into my trust white birch glass.

pours out a jet black color with only a minimal head that does not stick around too long but what is there is clinging to the sides and nice ans sticky. aroma is warming, lots of boozy notes, vanilla and oak coming through the air very clearly now, really showing off what it can do for sure. a nice and well rounded mix of bourbon, caramel, dark roasted malts, nice hints of toffee, and vanilla and a light brown sugar that seems to pop up in the finish. really nicely blended and a well deserved finish was smooth, silky and full of sweet flavor.

truly a fantastic beer and i am soo happy i have more to sit on to watch this one grow.

Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale) from Deschutes Brewery