Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale) - Deschutes Brewery

Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Released February 2010. This is, according to the brewer at the Portland Pub, the same recipe as 'Super Jubel', but was aged in pinot noir barrels for 13-months before the release.

Approx. 500 BBL produced.

10% Alcohol by Volume (ABV)
55 International Bittering Units (IBUs)

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 01-27-2010)
2.38/5  rDev -43.1%

A= pours a nice deep deep amber color with a nice tan head on it that's a little lighter than brown and mocha. The head is about a half finger high. Not much carbonation at all and the lacing is there but pretty minimal.

S= Nice barrel smell to it. There's a lot of sweetness and some boozyness to it. Little Pinot Noir smell to it. Little rasiny sort of dark fruit smell to it as well. Not that pungent though.

T= The taste is similar to the smell. Really sort of light tasting. Mostly tastes a lot like barrel, sweetness, and just a little touch of booze. Nothing spectacular to tell you the truth. There is a little bit of a belgian sugar sweetness to it and some nice dark fruit flavor. Really nothing that great however.

M= Feels light and has low carbonation. One of the biggest dissapointments.

D= I dunno why this beer gets such high reviews. This beer is really sort of a let down. Not even close to my favorite strong ales.

2.6/5  rDev -37.8%

Shared with my brother "kdiggidy"

A - This was the best part of the beer. Very nice pour into modern day tulip glasses. Great carbonation, mahogany pour that turns dark purple/black (almost the color of root beer) in the glass.

S - Fruity, almost wine-like (obviously).

T - Surprisingly flat on the tongue, lacking in complexity. I had way higher hopes for this beer.

M - Silky smooth.

O - I received this for my 30th birthday and have saved it for a special occasion (pre DLD festivities). As hard as it is to say, this beer did not live up to my expectations. I haven't ruled out the 2020. Sadly, I don't think cellaring would have made much of a difference for this brew. Much love to Deschutes for their ambition/innovation. To each their own - happy drinking everyone!

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

2.78/5  rDev -33.5%

I was disappointed in this one. Granted I ordered it after driving for a while, and I knew it would not be the best choice. But I just wanted to taste it!

The mouth-feel was nice and a bit thick. Like watered-down molasses or syrup.

The taste is what got me. I thought it was similar to North Coast Old Stock, but with a treacly, overly sweet aftertaste. I found it cloying. The bar also had the Old Stock 2009 of that on tap, which would have been the better choice.

In its defense, I will say that I picked the wrong beer for the time. I should have tried one of the 3 or 4 saisons they had on tap. But still, even on a different day, I don't think I would be more generous with this one. That aftertaste was sticky..in a bad way. Imagine the aftertaste you would get from a large spoon of a bad, cheap strawberry jam.

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

A - Very dark combination of dark chocolate and coffee look, good foamy head.

S - Very sweet raisin smell, hint of chocolate, and the bite of the alcohol, you can tell from the smell that it is going to be a strong beer.

T- Sweet, slight tang to it, rich, and creamy chocolate taste, to me it seemed alot like a chocolate stout, which turned me off to the taste, even though it is a strong ale.

M - velvety smoothness, mild carbination, sits well in the mouth.

D - This beer is one to have after dinner, a good sipping beer not my favorite, to sweet for my taste.

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

FRESH, NOT AGED

A - Pours thick without an extensive head; coppery in color. Very viscous in appearance and really sticks to the side of the glass.

S - Fairly strong alcohol smell, not much else. I would imagine this mellows with age

T - Malty, syrupy with quite a bit going on. Tasted caramel as well as an almost bourbon-like kick

M - Syrupy, caramel quality hits the palate hard, mellows a bit as you swallow and lingers for quite some time

D - Not something I'd drink a whole lot of by myself. Definitely a beer to be shared. I'll be interested in seeing what it does with some age. At this point, I'd rather go for a bourbon barrel aged beer.

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

Thanks Eric for sharing this one, review from written notes.
Served in a goblet.

It pours a dark brown color, with tan bubbles that cluster to one side. Color is seemingly impenetrable by light, with reddish glints around the edges.

Belgian yeast aromas, dried prune and raisin. Bitter aftertaste, lightly sweet with a dry alcohol tang. Molasses and brown sugar bleed though. Big and burly, light carbonation. Not picking up any barrel character. This is showing it's age with some sherry notes, if you like that sort of thing. Can't say that time is treating this well.

3.2/5  rDev -23.4%

Have wanted to open this one on numerous occasions... Finally said "Screw it, I'll dirnk it myself". Best after date of 1/29/11. Poured from a 22oz. black waxed and capped bomber into a Southampton oversize snifter.

A: Standard pour yields a .5 finger semi-coarse off-white colored head with decent retention. Beer is a clear dark brown. Lacing is spotty and stringy with decent cling. Nice legs too.

S: Nose is very unique. Notes of oak, fresh purple grapes, fresh prunes, fresh plums, cinnamon, brown sugar, and bourbon. Purple fruit abounds. Some sweet spices hide out in the background also. Appetizing and it gives me something to look forward to.

T: Opens brown sugar and prune pulp. Some purple grapes and more brown sugar towards the middle with a touch of molasses and tea leaves. Bourbon hits towards the end providing an accented and sweet finish enhanced by a touch of honey. Finish is sweet iced tea and aftertaste is the same with more molasses and brown sugar. This isn't bad but its not too appetizing either. A strange brew.

M: Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation. Smooth in the mouth with some lingering bubbles and goes down a bit watery with a touch of heat. Finish is messy with an aftertaste that lingers. A bit thin overall for the style.

O: I'm not sure what to make of this beer but I'm pretty sure that it won't hold up for another 9 years. Body is a bit thin and the flavor is awkward if anything. Worth a try for the novelty of it... I can't recall ever having a beer that taste's like this... but its not worth the effort to age in my opinion.

3.21/5  rDev -23.2%

Bomber into a snifter. The brew appears a mahogany color with a khaki cream colored topping. 2 fingers worth of froth appear and slowly fade leaving a full wall of lace. Some ruby coloration is noted when held to the light.

The aromatics are caramel to candy-like with some citrus and fruity notes faintly like alcohol. Some mild toasty grain inclusion is also present. As it warms up, it gets raisony with a mild oxidative note somewhat like cardboard.

The taste includes the previously mentioned notes of raison mixed with a bit of milk chocolate which was not expected. More sips reveal some cardboard oxidation along with a backing of bready to biscuit grains. Somewhat fruity to floral alcohol tries to tie things back together towards the finish. Overall, this is a mild brew for 10%.

This is medium bodied with a modest amount of carbonation. It is not terrible by any means but is really lacking in complexity. To put it bluntly, it is mediocre to lackluster. Perhaps if you were looking for a simple, easy drinking 10% brew you might love this. However, to label a beer as the once a decade ale and then package it with wax and a "best after date" you would think this would have held up a little better after only 3 years.

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Appearance - Deep plum color with a thin light tan head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Smell - Sweet smell of fruits and oak.

Taste - Strong hoppy/alcohol flavor overpowers the hints of brown sugar and dark fruits.

Mouthfeel - Light carbonation and full body that leaves me with cotton mouth after a few sips. Was not very pleased having a very dry mouth after finishing the glass.

Overall - Almost turned into Bruce Lee as the more I sipped the more I wanted to break boards from flexing from the harsh bitterness this had.

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Live tasting, poured into a Delirium tulip...

Appearance; pours a root beer brown, ruby colored at the edges and a murky reddish brown when held to light... One finger khaki color head that quickly fades to a ring with minimal lacing...

Smell; I pick up hints of raisins and dark fruits and a little of the barrel but not much beyond that...

Taste; taste is much the same as the smell, with the slight addition of red wine notes although fairly unimpressive and quite mellow given the alcohol content... I'm not sure the age has treated this very well...

Mouthfeel; relatively thin, with only a slight amount of carbonation, goes down smooth with a slight raisiny bitterness that doesn't seem to hang around for long... After the bitterness fades a silky texture seems to coat the mouth...

Overall; an average brew all around, certainly nothing groundbreaking... I feel like this would have been a much more impressive beer at release, Im not sure age has treated this very well although it is well past the "best after: 1/29/11" date, and I would probably have enjoyed the cloying, boozy raisin bomb that others have described quite a bit more than this.

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Consumed over our vacation last week, split with my wife & mother in the comfort of Cabin #8 after a hard day of fishing, reading, & lounging.

Pours pitch red with quiet rumours of brown. Smell is excellent: big, black cherries, in the LifeSavers mold. Sweeet.

Taste doesn't live up to the promise of the nose. The sweet black cherries turn to cherries of a vaguely acidic, vinegary, almost sour persuasion. Sweet malt drowns the off-taste quickly, but there's also a drip or two of oxidation creeping into the aftertaste. Already? Really? A bit thin. As it warms, the oxidation drops noticeably & the cherries start to grow on my a bit more.

Decent enough beer but one & done for me. This simply didn't live up to the Reserve Series from a top-notch brewery.

3.3/5  rDev -21.1%

A - Dark brown beer that turned a deep ruby red on the edges. Some pretty nice lace left on the sides.

S - Caramel, brown sugar, toffee, a little booze, and some dark fruit.

T - Really sweet, has some caramel and toffee on a brown sugar backbone. Booze runds a little hot. It's not bad, but maybe should sit a bit.

M - Relatively full with lower carbonation.

O - Needs some time to cool down, it's not a bad beer, but maybe giving it some time would help. Believe it says give it a year or so on the bottle, not bad advice.

3.3/5  rDev -21.1%

Another beer shared by BeerFMAndy with the tickerazzi. Thanks Andy. Poured from the bottle into my tulip.

A: Dark red/plum purple with brown edges. Small amount of beige head. Modest soapy lace.

S: Solid malt presence mixes with a modest hop profile. The usual candy sweet tart aroma that I find in many strong ales pretty much sums it up. A whiff of booze and wood keep my attention for the moment. Otherwise ho hum.

T: Dry bitter hop flavor seems to overwhelm this one. More acrid than pleasing. The malt seems to struggle to be tasted.

M: Medium to full body. Mild carbonation.

D: Overall less than impressed with this one. I had hight hopes since I love Deschutes. This one just missed the maork for me.

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Decided to check this one off my list.

Poured a deep earthy red/muddy brown with a very thin, but frothy tan head layer. Visible carbonation is gone in less than a minute, leaving my glass completely still.

This beer was very sweet on the nose. Faint hops, pine-like, come through the dominant malt sweetness.

The taste is a little better than the nose. Still sweet, but more defined. A little caramel, and even more bitterness noted. A light tobacco like quality is here, too.

The mouthfeel seems like this beer is unfinished. Overall I do feel like this beer is a bit young. The bottle reads best after 01/29/2011, and I think I'll need to revisit it then. Not terrible now, but I would imagine time would improve this beer. I found it very similar to a young Doggie Claws.

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%

Purchased two bottles of Jubel 2010, and had opened one. Leaving the other for some time next year to see if my impressions improve.

Poured into a straighted sided pub glass. Pitch black with a small amount of brown head. Little to no lacing of the head as the beer is not conducive to forming one as it is a bit syrupy.

Piney hops, but there's a hint dark fruit, oak, leather, dark chocolate and expresso when you put your nose over the glass. Very mysterious combination but intriguing combination.

Hopefully this improves in taste with time, as Deschutes recommends. The six month old Jubelale 2010 has a very strong alcoholic burn initially when you take a sip, but as it warms in your mouth, it turns into a slightly bitter brew, with a little grapefruit peel on the finish. However, the initial burn totally ruins it for me.

I think it definitely needs some time to mellow a bit

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: bad appearance, very cloudy and murky, no head whatsoever, bland orange and brown color

S: the nose starts with assertive maltiness followed by oak, acid, and dry wine grapes 3.5

T: mellow grapes and sweet malts start this thing off with characters of molasses, sweetness balance with dashed of spice and a slightly tart finish

Mf: thick body, bit of burn on the end

O: lots going on here, I'm having some ambivalence on this one. The detractors seem to overshadow the good qualities of this brew.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%