Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale) - Deschutes Brewery

Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 01-27-2010

Released February 2010. This is, according to the brewer at the Portland Pub, the same recipe as 'Super Jubel', but was aged in pinot noir barrels for 13-months before the release.

Approx. 500 BBL produced.

10% Alcohol by Volume (ABV)
55 International Bittering Units (IBUs)
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured an almost black hue with some reddish hues showing up at the bottom of the glass. Very small ring of tan bubbles mad up the head. Small amount of lacing left on the glass.

Smell was very nice. Sweet dark fruits made up the majority with some vanilla, and roasted aromas mixing in.

Taste was very deep and complex. Roasted malts, followed by sweet dark fruits, with some nie grassy hoppiness and a fruity, warming alcohol finish.

Mouthfeel was almost slick in texture. Drinkability is OK for a big beer, but this 750 is more than enough for me. Glad I got a 2nd one to put down.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into an imperial pint. Wanted to age this one but the store only had one left and I couldn't help myself.

A: Pours a deep garnet color with a tan head. Produces little head that dissipates quickly leaving next to no lacing.

S: Scent is malty with dark fruit and brown sugar.

T: Certainly very complex, I almost feel like I'm in over my head as I'm still kinda new at this. Chocolate and caramel with some dark fruit and red wine. Some hoppiness and cherries in the finish.

M: Full bodied and thick. Leaves a bit of stickiness with the finish.

D: Despite the amount of alcohol its surprisingly well hidden; however,I have a feeling it could catch up pretty quick. Would definitely have another, if I could find one.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Another homerun from Deschutes!

This beer pours a wonderful dark reddish color with great clarity and a thick khaki head. The aromas really impressed me as they were both toasty and sweet with notes of dried dark fruits, bananas and citrus. The palate is intense, similar to American style Barleywines but without all the hops. Distinctive notes of dark fuits, caramel and figs leave you wanting more. As the beer warms cherry flavors really start to show through. Not sure how they are going to age but I pick up a few to keep in the cave so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Best before 1/27/2011.

Served cool into a pint glass. Just enjoyed a Jubelale so it seemed like a natural progression.

Jubel has a nice dark redish brown color with good clarity and thick head. The head settles pretty quickly but leaves some nice lace behind.

The aroma is toasty, roasty and sweet. It's much like the Jubelale but bigger and stronger. I guess that's the point.

Flavor is intense and strong. Much like a barleywine style but without so much hoppiness. It's strong in the caramel, dark fruits, and figs but the hops are more subtle and earthy than I expected. Mostly sweet but there is some nice roasted malts and hops to balance it out. Cherries become the dominant flavor as time goes by. The pinot noir starts to come through more as it warms. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is medium-full in body and nice low carbonation. The balance is towards the sweet side but it's far from cloying.

Overall really enjoyable. I don't know how the age will help. To me it seems just great how it is. There isn't a huge hop presense so it's not like that will fade a great deal. The alcohol might become more subdude but it's not all that noticable as it is.

Looking back, I wonder how this would be with some bretanomyces. It seems like a lot of brewers are riding that bandwagon. Put some Jubel on brett and watch the ratings soar!

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

I got to try a bottle of this thanks to beerloco at a recent tasting!

Appearance: Pours an attractive brown that turns garnet as you get towards the edge and then the color of honey on the outside most fold. Crown is 2 fingers, a creamy looking khaki, shows some retention and lace.

Smell: Strong amount of caramel malt, hints of spice (cinnamon like), and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: Very smooth....no alcohol presence which is surprising after I picked up on it in the nose. Lots of creamy caramel malt crashes into loads of fruity esters.

Mouthfeel: Chewy but crisp?? Good carbonation and on the thin side of heavy bodied.

Drinkability: The abv holds it back a bit.

Very nice and glad I got to try it this decade :)

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a clear dark blood red with a small khaki head, and some lacing.

smell is of sour malt, a little cocoa, and dark fruits.

taste is strong, thick, dark fruit, pepper, cocoa, some spice, licorice, malt, graham cracker, and a few hops, ends dry and with an alcohol bite.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Hand bottles straight from a keg shared by byaeger at a gathering at his apartment.

Pours a great dark reddish-brown color with a nicely formed light beige head and very good lacing.

Aroma is rich and sweet with lots of caramel malt, spices, chocolate, dark fruits, and vanilla.

Flavor is great and complex, even if it's a little sweet. Caramel, toffee, chocolate, vinous notes, mild roast, spice, raisin, date, and sugar plum. This is some decadent stuff.

Smooth on the mouthfeel with a fairly full body, just a tad syrupy.

Drinkability is good though, and overall I like this beer a lot. Picked up 3 bottles to last me til 2020.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

Bottle, home. This one is a bit sweet for me but otherwise up to the excellent standard of the Deschutes Reserve Series. The beer appears a deep reddish mahogany color with a small beige head. The head recedes fairly rapidly, but I enjoy this look in a big barrel-aged beer. It ends looking like a glass of port. The aroma shows off a ton of rich malt with notes of caramel, prunes, molasses and honey. There's also some nice hopping and a relatively subtle oak aroma with a bigger fruity red wine note accompanying it. The flavor is quite sweet upfront with hop bitterness and wood dryness pulling things together in the finish. Mouthfeel is good and will probably improve with time. It's certainly a slow sipper, but I'm happy to have this bottle to myself. Another success from Deschutes.

Edit: Had this beer a couple times since and my opinion has dropped somewhat. It's just a bit too sweet and boozy.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Wow, this is a beast. Still, its definitely as advertised: strong ale aged in red wine barrels. the smell is alcohol, malt, sweetness, and barrel-aging. The taste is definitely wine influenced and for a minute makes me think this beer could work if it were soured. Overall, intense Jubelale, good stuff.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Tasted on March 6. Split a bomber between two large red wine glasses with my wife. The appearance was exciting. It was very dark ruby and could only be seen through when held up to direct light. There was a half finger of tan head floating on top that quickly dissipated. The smell was vinous with coffee and a little chocolate. I kept going back for more whiffs and it was wonderful. The taste was so complex with coffee, dark red fruits, chocolate and some hop bitterness. The mouthfeel was amazing. There was minimal carbonation at the beginning of the tasting and towards the bottom of the glass it was totally non-carbonated which allowed the extreme smoothness to really be highlighted. Drinkability wise it became apparent that this was 10% ABV% but I do believe I could have and would have finished the bomber all by myself...and it would have been oh so good!
I have 5 more of these in my cellar sitting right next to 5 Abyss. I do believe it is going to be hard to resist opening these before the "ready date" that Deschutes has on the label. These are still readily available in Portland and should be bought up by beer enthusiasts. If these do get better after a year of age the effect will be intoxicating. Another unbelievable offering by a world class brewery.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours dark brown/garnet with plenty of light tan head. Smells great - dark fruits, red wine, and malt goodness. Taste follows. Fairly sweet, but not overly so. There are some notes of chocolate, brown sugar, red wine, and dark fruits in the flavor. Slight hop presence here that I look forward to disappearing with some age. Heavier side of medium body with medium carbonation. Overall, a very nice brew and pretty unique. The closest thing I've had to a red wine "bomb" in beer so far, but definitely in no danger of being too vinous.

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a lot thicker than I expected, the pour being very dark amber, but the glass appearing to be almost black ruby, except for a layer of light at the edges. Very thin small-bubbled ring on the pour, no lacing and doesn't last, but not surprising given the style.

Smells almost exactly like oatmeal raisin cookies, cinnamon, and smooth bourbon. Taste is at first grains, with a wash of plum and a bite of licorice at the end, slightly peppery and fairly smokey.

The carbonation cuts the heavy weight of the beer sharply, with a pronounced edge of feel that doesn't overpower. Just about perfect for this heavy a beer.

This is a very heavy, hearty beer with a definite booze whallop. One 22oz is going to be it for me tonight. Definitely great beer though.

If you hated Jubelale, don't bother. If you loved (or even liked) Jubelale, this is great stuff.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Grabbed a few of these up at a QFC...

- Nice dark rootbeer color.. quick fizzling mocha colored head down to a small ring around the edges of my tumbler glass....

- Lots of nice vanilla and raisin up front from the barrels.. little bit of a sweet woodiness.. creamy sweet oats.. little booziness.. grains, light bitter hops...

- Nicely sweetened oats, grains, chocolate malts.... balanced with the oak and vanilla bourbon... though it wasn't bourbon barrels. Best part of the brew is the taste for sure. Little bit of hops for bitterness.. and perhaps a touch of citrus in the background. Great balance. Slightly earthy, and raisin-like.

- Medium bodied, little syrupy sweet.. and chalky as well...overall the balance doesn't leave the mouth too dry.

- Fantastic brew even as fresh as it is.... and I am sure with a couple years on it, it will be perfected. Overall great, and for me one of the better reserve series next to the mirror mirror.

**Edit I know this was aged in Pinot Noir barrels, but I couldn't help notice the vanilla-like bourbon flavors in it.

Picked up a few of these today. 22 oz bombers, capped with black wax. $10 each

A: Deep brown /red with a thick, creamy head that slowly fades

S: Brown suger, wood and vanilla nose.

T: Sweet chocolate, wood, vanilla, raisins with some serious alcohol. Nice dry fruit finish.

M: Needs to calm down. Tasty overall but a bit hot. Bottle says best to try after 2011. Probably should take their advice....

D: While young, another tasty winner from Deschutes.

I will definitely lay some of this down to try again next year (I will not be tempted... I will not be tempted....)

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%

Had this on tap at the draughthouse in Austin in a half pint glass. Pours a depp dark moghany to black. Light brown head very thin, nice lacing suprisingly. Smell is somewhat alcohol with nice fruit tones to it. Taste is pretty nice but a little hot, I could imagine aging this might work out well. I get a little bit of oak, fruitiness, along with what I imagine is the presence from the noir barrels. Mouthfeel is an oily consistency that brings about a smooth drinkability to the beer. Glad I got to try this and I highly recommend.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Since this is a strong version of Jubel Ale, shouldn't it be listed as a Winter Warmer? Whatever. Served in a straight pint glass, this beer has all the aspects of the regular Jubel, just more all around.

A deep mahogany color with a thin, light tan head that had surprisingly low retention and lacing. The aroma was strongly sweet, with some slight fruit and spice notes. The flavor was very similar to the aroma with the addition of alcohol to the taste mix.

The body was very good, full and smooth without being sticky. The low level of carbonation and it's smoothness makes this a very drinkable beer, that requires attention due to the strength.

Try it while you can.

Is this the Super Jubel in a bottle? Please, beer gods, say yes! Poured into my favorite gigantic snifter which I tend to use for all of my 22oz bottle purposes, I didn't even think of chilling this beauty as I pull it right off the shelf and begin pouring. Man, this thing is so brown it's almost black! The head swelled up and has produced an excellent stable lacing around the edge that sticks as though made of a thin bubble paste. The nose of a malt nut with slight brown sugar and spice invade my senses as i begin imbibing this amazing offering. I cannot describe the taste. I can only believe noises similar to those of orgasmic whales would suffice to cover the way this beer makes my mouth react. Anything that can be this beautiful to drink simply deserves to be crowned. I can chug this. I can sip this. I can cook with this. I can pair this with anything. I can wholeheartedly recommend buying a case of this and having one now, and one every year to follow until they brew another one. Thank you, Deschutes. I love you.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Served in the Jubel 2010 glassware as presented by Deschutes Brewery (thanks mom and dad).

Appearance: Relatively dark, with fairly full opacity. Its a bit hazy through the middle showing dull red-orange-brown tones where the light penetrates. Off white (light tan) head. It comes out looking very dense however boils off quickly. Leaves decent lacing around the edges.

Smell: Reminds me quite a bit of Laurelwood's Vinter Varmer (for obvious reasons). Slight dry scent, possibly some roasty malts? A definite spicy quality and a few fruity notes make themselves known. It seems odd to say, but I do get a few earthy notes on the nose. It could just be the way the above scents play on the nose though.

Taste: Yum, tasty. I can see its resemblance to the standard Jubelale. It does taste like a "Super Jubel" in many respects. The same sweet, fruity notes appear (reminds me of cherries) but it seems thicker, more syrupy.

Mouthfeel: Maybe I'm just so hung up on its resemblence to its lesser Jubel roots, but I keep comparing the two. The carbonation seems fairly low to me as I don't get any of that harsh bite from it. It seems thicker, more potent, and again more syrupy then its progenitor.

Drinkability: Like the standard Jubelale it is very drinkable. I wish I had opened this beer before it started getting warm in the central coast of California because I have a feeling this beer would be immensely more enjoyable as a winter warmer, you know... when its cold. ::sigh:: I miss seasons down here away from Portland. My only concern is the relatively greater "viscosity" of this beer. It reminds me just a little bit of cough syrup and I could see that wearing me out.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours dark dark brown with a tiny head.

Smell is dark fruits, with a sort-of vegetable tone. Alcohol. All around reminds me more of a strong doppelbock than Jubelale. Also very much like a strong brown ale. Basically this is a very very unique brew.

Taste is fruit sweetness up front that turns into a slightly burnt malts and a bitter punch. Coats the palate, this is a very complex and delicious beer.

The best part is the mouthfeel, chewy and thick while still smooth, and very drinkable.

I am always impressed that Deschutes can make solid and unique small batch brews despite being one of the largest micro breweries in the country.

Jubel 2010 is a must try

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

First tried on Feb. 5th (release day), then again on Feb 25th - both times at Portland's Deschutes Pub. The later one is from a 12 oz. snifter pour ($6) and is the basis for this review.

A: Deep brown/mahogany with ruddier highlights. A spongy beige head that barely covers, lifespan is brief. Sudsy lace holds longer, hanging in tight speckles.

S: Fine and full aroma of cocoa and sweet coffee, tobacco and leather, berry and a light smoky char. Woodsy 'barrel' holds a subtle 'pinot' musk, more cherry-like than anything. Enticing when cool, enthralling as it warms.

T: Chewy cocoa and plump cherry, dash of holiday spice. Oak-y spice, vanilla and char, are there yet smooth and appropriately held in balance. Semi-sweet chocolate, a dark and fruity reduction, too. Later, a savory 'meatiness', so much to reflect on; to call it 'port-like' wouldn't be far off. Reminds me of Hair of the Dog's excellent 'Adam', though perhaps even smoother.

M: Awesome feel, velvety warmth yet not a trace of phenolic heat. Active enough carbonation inside a medium-full body. Neither too bitter nor too sweet on the tongue, what lingers is equitable between both.

D: Probably a little 'young', though at 13 months in the barrel, this has mellowed wonderfully; 10% alcohol's slight heat barely prevents a '5' score. Malty sweets, rich fruits and a layered bitterness blend to create a gem that Deschutes has to proud of. Fortunately for all of us, bottles abound (marked BEST AFTER: 01/2011); this could be my favorite Reserve Series brew, save for a nicely-aged bottle of The Abyss. But even that may be debatable...

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%

Virtually no head, even with a vigorous pour. Nose has an appetizing mixture of dark berries and maple syrup - almost reminding me of such toppings I had not long ago on a stack of flapjacks. Those berry flavors with maple syrup are salient on the palate as well with a rich, sweet roasted malty core. Finish has dark fruits and a kiss of alcohol warmth to remind you this is no little beer.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a deep mahogany with a small, fizzy brown head that leaves enough lacing on the glass.

Smells of dark fruit, oak, and a little herbal note.

Tastes of brown sugar upfront with a good dark fruit note that follows. Figs and raisins are present with a touch of sweetness. Roasted malts are evident with molasses notes. There is a woody flavor that is very wine like in the finish. More reminiscent of a white wine, which makes sense given that it was aged in pinot noir barrels. As it warms, dark fruit takes over and spices become more prevalent to make it more interesting.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Served on-tap at the Draught House in Austin.

Deep crimson-amber hue in the half pint glass, with a central core of ruby red. Scant khaki head sits on top with a decent retention for 10%. The aroma is of sweet berries, caramel toffee, chestnuts, and piny hops. Great balance, but I think the pour was too cold at first for me to really get a good grasp on the smell of Jubel 2010.

The flavor more than made up for what I could not discern from the aroma, as rich notes of caramel nuttiness layered upon a fresh, bitter hoppiness and tons of dark fruit esters. Browned apple flesh, raisin rum, and a touch of winter spice and barrel aging. Delicious stuff, and the medium-thick mouthfeel was superbly carbonated. Jubel 2010 is meant to be savored, and I will be back to the Draught House soon to savor this excellent beer again...

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Bomber from Whole Foods for $12. Into a tulip, the beer pours a dark but perfectly clear amber, and in the glass it's a near-impenetrable cherry skin red. A small tan head tops the dark body, slowly receding to a small cap.

It smells of dates, plums, figs - the dark fruit aromas are prominent without overwhelming the senses - and there's a slight vinous quality along with some molasses. The aroma doesn't blow me away like some of their other Reserve Series beers; it's pleasant but muted.

On the palate it's much bolder, molasses, roasted malt, spice and dark fruit melding together harmoniously with a slight oaky and vinous backbone. My guess is that this is a blend of barrel aged and non-barrel aged beer, as the barrel character isn't particularly strong. The mouthfeel is full and rich, moderate sweetness balanced nicely by tannins, bitterness and faint alcohol. It finishes on a vinous and bitter note, red wine, plum, brown sugar and alcohol lingering on the tongue, amply bitter and roasty. A good beer overall, it met my expectations without necessarily blowing me away. It's worth trying at a very reasonable $12.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Been feeling a little sick and haven't reviewed anything in a while. This is from notes.

The appearance straight off of the tap is dark plumb with a tan head. Held up to the light the edges get more purple and display a very pretty gradient of violet. I loved the look of this one. It had some pretty thick lacing as well, and the head stayed for a while.

The smell on this one is pretty great, especially for my taste buds. You have to figure that I am reviewing it very fresh on tap, meaning that this thing is going to age like a monster. It smelled of sweet port wine with great raspberries. I get a lot of berries in the smell and tastes, which has to be from the Pinot barrels. Just an amazingly spice and berry combo that pleases my nose.

The taste is a bit muddled, but time will fix the imperfections. There are berries again, with some resin hops. I get some earthy malts with a woody oak taste as well. I would love to see this brew without the oak barrels, just to compare because I do believe the barrels put this to a different level. The berries I get are mostly raspberry and a bit of cherry.

This has a good mouthfeel, but I think everything will be better in the bottle. I like Deschutes Reserve Series bottled better, I think the characters show up bigger, and everything is blended better. This brew on tap is thick and a bit overcarbonated. It has a good drinkability, and when given to non craft drinkers, the response is always positive. Age is going to befriend this one, I can just tell.

Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale) from Deschutes Brewery