Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale) - Deschutes Brewery

Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)Jubel 2010 (Once A Decade Ale)

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Released February 2010. This is, according to the brewer at the Portland Pub, the same recipe as 'Super Jubel', but was aged in pinot noir barrels for 13-months before the release.

Approx. 500 BBL produced.

10% Alcohol by Volume (ABV)
55 International Bittering Units (IBUs)

(Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 01-27-2010)
View: Beers (139) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
hopsbreath

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Tasted on March 6. Split a bomber between two large red wine glasses with my wife. The appearance was exciting. It was very dark ruby and could only be seen through when held up to direct light. There was a half finger of tan head floating on top that quickly dissipated. The smell was vinous with coffee and a little chocolate. I kept going back for more whiffs and it was wonderful. The taste was so complex with coffee, dark red fruits, chocolate and some hop bitterness. The mouthfeel was amazing. There was minimal carbonation at the beginning of the tasting and towards the bottom of the glass it was totally non-carbonated which allowed the extreme smoothness to really be highlighted. Drinkability wise it became apparent that this was 10% ABV% but I do believe I could have and would have finished the bomber all by myself...and it would have been oh so good!
I have 5 more of these in my cellar sitting right next to 5 Abyss. I do believe it is going to be hard to resist opening these before the "ready date" that Deschutes has on the label. These are still readily available in Portland and should be bought up by beer enthusiasts. If these do get better after a year of age the effect will be intoxicating. Another unbelievable offering by a world class brewery.

03-07-2010 22:20:32 | More by hopsbreath
waltonc

Colorado

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours dark brown/garnet with plenty of light tan head. Smells great - dark fruits, red wine, and malt goodness. Taste follows. Fairly sweet, but not overly so. There are some notes of chocolate, brown sugar, red wine, and dark fruits in the flavor. Slight hop presence here that I look forward to disappearing with some age. Heavier side of medium body with medium carbonation. Overall, a very nice brew and pretty unique. The closest thing I've had to a red wine "bomb" in beer so far, but definitely in no danger of being too vinous.

03-06-2010 05:03:12 | More by waltonc
waldowin

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a lot thicker than I expected, the pour being very dark amber, but the glass appearing to be almost black ruby, except for a layer of light at the edges. Very thin small-bubbled ring on the pour, no lacing and doesn't last, but not surprising given the style.

Smells almost exactly like oatmeal raisin cookies, cinnamon, and smooth bourbon. Taste is at first grains, with a wash of plum and a bite of licorice at the end, slightly peppery and fairly smokey.

The carbonation cuts the heavy weight of the beer sharply, with a pronounced edge of feel that doesn't overpower. Just about perfect for this heavy a beer.

This is a very heavy, hearty beer with a definite booze whallop. One 22oz is going to be it for me tonight. Definitely great beer though.

If you hated Jubelale, don't bother. If you loved (or even liked) Jubelale, this is great stuff.

03-06-2010 02:07:19 | More by waldowin
Docer

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Grabbed a few of these up at a QFC...

- Nice dark rootbeer color.. quick fizzling mocha colored head down to a small ring around the edges of my tumbler glass....

- Lots of nice vanilla and raisin up front from the barrels.. little bit of a sweet woodiness.. creamy sweet oats.. little booziness.. grains, light bitter hops...

- Nicely sweetened oats, grains, chocolate malts.... balanced with the oak and vanilla bourbon... though it wasn't bourbon barrels. Best part of the brew is the taste for sure. Little bit of hops for bitterness.. and perhaps a touch of citrus in the background. Great balance. Slightly earthy, and raisin-like.

- Medium bodied, little syrupy sweet.. and chalky as well...overall the balance doesn't leave the mouth too dry.

- Fantastic brew even as fresh as it is.... and I am sure with a couple years on it, it will be perfected. Overall great, and for me one of the better reserve series next to the mirror mirror.

**Edit I know this was aged in Pinot Noir barrels, but I couldn't help notice the vanilla-like bourbon flavors in it.

03-05-2010 21:13:02 | More by Docer
Doodler

Colorado

Picked up a few of these today. 22 oz bombers, capped with black wax. $10 each

A: Deep brown /red with a thick, creamy head that slowly fades

S: Brown suger, wood and vanilla nose.

T: Sweet chocolate, wood, vanilla, raisins with some serious alcohol. Nice dry fruit finish.

M: Needs to calm down. Tasty overall but a bit hot. Bottle says best to try after 2011. Probably should take their advice....

D: While young, another tasty winner from Deschutes.

I will definitely lay some of this down to try again next year (I will not be tempted... I will not be tempted....)

03-05-2010 09:07:51 | More by Doodler
Phoenix2443

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Had this on tap at the draughthouse in Austin in a half pint glass. Pours a depp dark moghany to black. Light brown head very thin, nice lacing suprisingly. Smell is somewhat alcohol with nice fruit tones to it. Taste is pretty nice but a little hot, I could imagine aging this might work out well. I get a little bit of oak, fruitiness, along with what I imagine is the presence from the noir barrels. Mouthfeel is an oily consistency that brings about a smooth drinkability to the beer. Glad I got to try this and I highly recommend.

03-04-2010 00:28:22 | More by Phoenix2443
beertunes

Washington

Since this is a strong version of Jubel Ale, shouldn't it be listed as a Winter Warmer? Whatever. Served in a straight pint glass, this beer has all the aspects of the regular Jubel, just more all around.

A deep mahogany color with a thin, light tan head that had surprisingly low retention and lacing. The aroma was strongly sweet, with some slight fruit and spice notes. The flavor was very similar to the aroma with the addition of alcohol to the taste mix.

The body was very good, full and smooth without being sticky. The low level of carbonation and it's smoothness makes this a very drinkable beer, that requires attention due to the strength.

Try it while you can.

03-02-2010 21:55:39 | More by beertunes
idResponse

Is this the Super Jubel in a bottle? Please, beer gods, say yes! Poured into my favorite gigantic snifter which I tend to use for all of my 22oz bottle purposes, I didn't even think of chilling this beauty as I pull it right off the shelf and begin pouring. Man, this thing is so brown it's almost black! The head swelled up and has produced an excellent stable lacing around the edge that sticks as though made of a thin bubble paste. The nose of a malt nut with slight brown sugar and spice invade my senses as i begin imbibing this amazing offering. I cannot describe the taste. I can only believe noises similar to those of orgasmic whales would suffice to cover the way this beer makes my mouth react. Anything that can be this beautiful to drink simply deserves to be crowned. I can chug this. I can sip this. I can cook with this. I can pair this with anything. I can wholeheartedly recommend buying a case of this and having one now, and one every year to follow until they brew another one. Thank you, Deschutes. I love you.

03-02-2010 07:57:25 | More by idResponse
iD9

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Served in the Jubel 2010 glassware as presented by Deschutes Brewery (thanks mom and dad).

Appearance: Relatively dark, with fairly full opacity. Its a bit hazy through the middle showing dull red-orange-brown tones where the light penetrates. Off white (light tan) head. It comes out looking very dense however boils off quickly. Leaves decent lacing around the edges.

Smell: Reminds me quite a bit of Laurelwood's Vinter Varmer (for obvious reasons). Slight dry scent, possibly some roasty malts? A definite spicy quality and a few fruity notes make themselves known. It seems odd to say, but I do get a few earthy notes on the nose. It could just be the way the above scents play on the nose though.

Taste: Yum, tasty. I can see its resemblance to the standard Jubelale. It does taste like a "Super Jubel" in many respects. The same sweet, fruity notes appear (reminds me of cherries) but it seems thicker, more syrupy.

Mouthfeel: Maybe I'm just so hung up on its resemblence to its lesser Jubel roots, but I keep comparing the two. The carbonation seems fairly low to me as I don't get any of that harsh bite from it. It seems thicker, more potent, and again more syrupy then its progenitor.

Drinkability: Like the standard Jubelale it is very drinkable. I wish I had opened this beer before it started getting warm in the central coast of California because I have a feeling this beer would be immensely more enjoyable as a winter warmer, you know... when its cold. ::sigh:: I miss seasons down here away from Portland. My only concern is the relatively greater "viscosity" of this beer. It reminds me just a little bit of cough syrup and I could see that wearing me out.

03-01-2010 08:00:48 | More by iD9
YOOJ

Louisiana

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours dark dark brown with a tiny head.

Smell is dark fruits, with a sort-of vegetable tone. Alcohol. All around reminds me more of a strong doppelbock than Jubelale. Also very much like a strong brown ale. Basically this is a very very unique brew.

Taste is fruit sweetness up front that turns into a slightly burnt malts and a bitter punch. Coats the palate, this is a very complex and delicious beer.

The best part is the mouthfeel, chewy and thick while still smooth, and very drinkable.

I am always impressed that Deschutes can make solid and unique small batch brews despite being one of the largest micro breweries in the country.

Jubel 2010 is a must try

03-01-2010 07:05:45 | More by YOOJ
msubulldog25

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

First tried on Feb. 5th (release day), then again on Feb 25th - both times at Portland's Deschutes Pub. The later one is from a 12 oz. snifter pour ($6) and is the basis for this review.

A: Deep brown/mahogany with ruddier highlights. A spongy beige head that barely covers, lifespan is brief. Sudsy lace holds longer, hanging in tight speckles.

S: Fine and full aroma of cocoa and sweet coffee, tobacco and leather, berry and a light smoky char. Woodsy 'barrel' holds a subtle 'pinot' musk, more cherry-like than anything. Enticing when cool, enthralling as it warms.

T: Chewy cocoa and plump cherry, dash of holiday spice. Oak-y spice, vanilla and char, are there yet smooth and appropriately held in balance. Semi-sweet chocolate, a dark and fruity reduction, too. Later, a savory 'meatiness', so much to reflect on; to call it 'port-like' wouldn't be far off. Reminds me of Hair of the Dog's excellent 'Adam', though perhaps even smoother.

M: Awesome feel, velvety warmth yet not a trace of phenolic heat. Active enough carbonation inside a medium-full body. Neither too bitter nor too sweet on the tongue, what lingers is equitable between both.

D: Probably a little 'young', though at 13 months in the barrel, this has mellowed wonderfully; 10% alcohol's slight heat barely prevents a '5' score. Malty sweets, rich fruits and a layered bitterness blend to create a gem that Deschutes has to proud of. Fortunately for all of us, bottles abound (marked BEST AFTER: 01/2011); this could be my favorite Reserve Series brew, save for a nicely-aged bottle of The Abyss. But even that may be debatable...

03-01-2010 03:43:33 | More by msubulldog25
yemenmocha

Arizona

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Virtually no head, even with a vigorous pour. Nose has an appetizing mixture of dark berries and maple syrup - almost reminding me of such toppings I had not long ago on a stack of flapjacks. Those berry flavors with maple syrup are salient on the palate as well with a rich, sweet roasted malty core. Finish has dark fruits and a kiss of alcohol warmth to remind you this is no little beer.

03-01-2010 03:40:31 | More by yemenmocha
ocelot2500

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a deep mahogany with a small, fizzy brown head that leaves enough lacing on the glass.

Smells of dark fruit, oak, and a little herbal note.

Tastes of brown sugar upfront with a good dark fruit note that follows. Figs and raisins are present with a touch of sweetness. Roasted malts are evident with molasses notes. There is a woody flavor that is very wine like in the finish. More reminiscent of a white wine, which makes sense given that it was aged in pinot noir barrels. As it warms, dark fruit takes over and spices become more prevalent to make it more interesting.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

02-28-2010 04:13:32 | More by ocelot2500
wagenvolks

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Served on-tap at the Draught House in Austin.

Deep crimson-amber hue in the half pint glass, with a central core of ruby red. Scant khaki head sits on top with a decent retention for 10%. The aroma is of sweet berries, caramel toffee, chestnuts, and piny hops. Great balance, but I think the pour was too cold at first for me to really get a good grasp on the smell of Jubel 2010.

The flavor more than made up for what I could not discern from the aroma, as rich notes of caramel nuttiness layered upon a fresh, bitter hoppiness and tons of dark fruit esters. Browned apple flesh, raisin rum, and a touch of winter spice and barrel aging. Delicious stuff, and the medium-thick mouthfeel was superbly carbonated. Jubel 2010 is meant to be savored, and I will be back to the Draught House soon to savor this excellent beer again...

02-28-2010 00:45:40 | More by wagenvolks
largadeer

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Bomber from Whole Foods for $12. Into a tulip, the beer pours a dark but perfectly clear amber, and in the glass it's a near-impenetrable cherry skin red. A small tan head tops the dark body, slowly receding to a small cap.

It smells of dates, plums, figs - the dark fruit aromas are prominent without overwhelming the senses - and there's a slight vinous quality along with some molasses. The aroma doesn't blow me away like some of their other Reserve Series beers; it's pleasant but muted.

On the palate it's much bolder, molasses, roasted malt, spice and dark fruit melding together harmoniously with a slight oaky and vinous backbone. My guess is that this is a blend of barrel aged and non-barrel aged beer, as the barrel character isn't particularly strong. The mouthfeel is full and rich, moderate sweetness balanced nicely by tannins, bitterness and faint alcohol. It finishes on a vinous and bitter note, red wine, plum, brown sugar and alcohol lingering on the tongue, amply bitter and roasty. A good beer overall, it met my expectations without necessarily blowing me away. It's worth trying at a very reasonable $12.

02-27-2010 03:37:03 | More by largadeer
Jmoore50

Nevada

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Been feeling a little sick and haven't reviewed anything in a while. This is from notes.

The appearance straight off of the tap is dark plumb with a tan head. Held up to the light the edges get more purple and display a very pretty gradient of violet. I loved the look of this one. It had some pretty thick lacing as well, and the head stayed for a while.

The smell on this one is pretty great, especially for my taste buds. You have to figure that I am reviewing it very fresh on tap, meaning that this thing is going to age like a monster. It smelled of sweet port wine with great raspberries. I get a lot of berries in the smell and tastes, which has to be from the Pinot barrels. Just an amazingly spice and berry combo that pleases my nose.

The taste is a bit muddled, but time will fix the imperfections. There are berries again, with some resin hops. I get some earthy malts with a woody oak taste as well. I would love to see this brew without the oak barrels, just to compare because I do believe the barrels put this to a different level. The berries I get are mostly raspberry and a bit of cherry.

This has a good mouthfeel, but I think everything will be better in the bottle. I like Deschutes Reserve Series bottled better, I think the characters show up bigger, and everything is blended better. This brew on tap is thick and a bit overcarbonated. It has a good drinkability, and when given to non craft drinkers, the response is always positive. Age is going to befriend this one, I can just tell.
J

02-24-2010 05:47:43 | More by Jmoore50
RedDiamond

4.65/5  rDev +11%

I'm no longer surprised when Deschutes strikes a high note on a big beer. These past few years have seen them excel from brewers of reliable standbies to brewers of high clout classics. Jubel 2010 extends their winning streak with this pinot barrel aged strong ale.

2010 is a highly complex strong ale with notes of chocolate, date, licorice, brown sugar, and strong hop contours. Alcohol makes no intrusion and the beer still manages to balance out as agreeably sweet. It is ruby black and arrives with a smattering of suds. Satisfying, sustained, and sensual in every dimension.

02-22-2010 05:04:11 | More by RedDiamond
cbarrett4

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I'll make this short and sweet. A once a decade brew. Take Jubelale and add chocolate, coffee, and bourbon barrels. Yes. No kidding!

It reminds me of Abyss but darker, richer, and less acidic. The '10 Jubel smells of bananas foster (caramel, banana, chocolate), toffee, dark coffee, and currants. Very rich and expressive on the nose. The flavors are deep and rich with massive tannins from the coffee and chocolate. Very dark, rich, and bittersweet.

Texture is massive but could use a touch extra acidity to round it out. I put this up there with Abyss, and I think this is a more massive beer than Abyss... but I would rather drink Abyss with the extra balance. This one is a bit overwhelming!

02-21-2010 04:50:42 | More by cbarrett4
jdense

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Snifter poured at Deschutes PDX 2.19.10.

3/4 finger tan head, quick dissipation. Blackish brown opaque body. The nose is cherry vanilla, re crystal and caramel malts. The taste is quite complex, malt-forward with some smokiness present, oak tannins from barrel aging, and warming alcohol and some grassy hops towards the back end. Dry bitter finish, with a bit of a sticky mouthfeel. At this ABV limited drinkability, sharing a bottle makes the most sense. Looking forward to seeing how this taste after a year of cellaring. Another fine reserve beer from Deschutes, a worthy companion to The Abyss, Dissident, and Black Butte XXI. Recommended

02-21-2010 00:01:42 | More by jdense
TheBeerCarl

Idaho

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

The beer is dark brown in color with a light brown head and little retention. It lightly smells of caramel and malt with no heat. It has a rich caramel taste with hints of roasted grains. It has a full body and runs smooth over the palette. You definitely do not taste any alcohol. Dangerous but delicious; definitely an easy drinking beer.

02-19-2010 20:20:36 | More by TheBeerCarl
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Quite the story behind this brew supposedly this one came around after a drunk patron tried to steal a keg of their Jubelale, evidently the caper couldn't get away with the goods and left the keg outside to freeze. The next day the brewers came in and found the keg and sampled, basically an eisbock version of their standard seasonal and loved it with some fortification. So they brewed a bigger version and it's released every year as Super Jubel and it's only been released in bottles back in 2000 and now in 2010.

Appears a molasses mahogany like hue with deep ruby highlights when held toward the light, the head is a deep tan hue with fine evenly dispersed specks on each side check things out okay. Herbal hops and citrus zest blend in with a touch of holiday spices.

Aroma is exuberant with malt sweetness layers of syrup drizzled over dark overly ripened alcohol soaked dark fruits like plums and raisins. A definite air of charred oak with herbal/mint hop expressions in the finish. Booze is hidden pretty well but the wood used at times give a pine mint expression that must be coming from the hops.

The flavor collides with dark fruit a touch of maple syrup, a mild citrus and herbal hop bitterness, holy malt monster batman! This one also has those backing hops to provide some bitterness for balance, a touch of booze maple syrup tree bark and herbs. Very festive big brew aged on Pinot wine barrels.

Mouthfeel is big bodied a bit cloying better to share this bad boy with some friends, alot of girth with some soothing alcohol tones about it. Carbonation is smooth and mellow, quite a treat definitely a unique experience for me.

Drinkability overall, this one is to be savored with friends around the holidays I hop to have more friends around next time a bottle of this comes my way. From the smallest beer to these bruisers that Deschutes has been releasing, everything from them is so damn drinkable it may be their best attribute overall. I again can't wait to show up at the brew house or one of their brewpub locales and do some sampling with my buddy Geof, who sent me this bottle.

02-19-2010 15:15:56 | More by WVbeergeek
jdklks

Nevada

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a super dark murky amber, more like mahogony with a dark tan/light brown head that lingers and laces the glass nicely. The smell is of sweet fruits (cherry, plum, raisins, figs, even strawberry) and dark malts. Some brown sugar and caramel notes.

This really is jubelale on steroids, and it is quite amazing, though I think some aging will make it even better. Super complex. Lots of chocolate up front, which came as a surprise. Some caramel and brown sugar up front too. The middle is all fruit and spices. Cherry, raisins, and figs. In the finish the hops and malts come together in great harmony. Bitter hops, like those of fresh jubelale, and roasty malts. Alcohol barely becomes noticeable in the aftertaste. It is well hidden though. The barrel aging is hardly noticeable with everything else going on.

Mouthfeel is a little light and a little too dry on the palate, but it is very well carbonated. Dangerously drinkable for a 10% beer.

Once again, Deschutes' reserve series comes through with a ridiculously well made beer. Bravo.

02-18-2010 05:12:49 | More by jdklks
racer2k

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Enjoyed this on tap in a brandy snifter glass at the Deschutes brew pub in Portland, Oregon

A - Pours a dark mahogany color with a red tint. Produces a very thin off white head coating which quickly dissipates to a thin lacing. Very thin looking profile to the beer.

S - Very complex aroma with roasted caramel nutty malt and a fruity presence of raisins, dates, fruitcake, cherries, sour apples. I also picked up the presence of the Pinot Noir barrel aging process in this complex aroma.

T - A complex dark fruit taste which is very smooth and carries an earthy woody profile of flavors from the Pinot Noir barrel aging. Mid-stream in the taste profile is a caramel toffee roasted malt presence which smooths out the initial sweet taste of the dark fruits. The finish is quite smooth and dry to the palette.

M - Very smooth profile with minimal carbonation for such a complex beer. There is a creaminess and smoothness to this beer which is very unique especially given the 10% abv which does not really show it self in the taste. This is quite dangerous.

D: This is an excellent interpretation of the Strong Ale category. This beer was off the charts in terms of the experience. I drank this with very little knowledge of the history and associated hype of the release as I happened to be in Portland, OR traveling and stopped in to the Deschutes brew pub. The person next to me at the bar was sipping this beer and it looked delicious. Highly recommended but be weary of the high alcohol content.

02-15-2010 18:47:14 | More by racer2k
womencantsail

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

A: The pour is a dark mahogany color with a thin off-white head and some surprising lacing on the glass.

S: The nose has a slight oxidation note to it, which actually works somewhat well with the sugary, caramel, and dark fruit notes. There's some noticeable alcohol as well.

T: The flavor is also quite sweet. The caramel and toffee are the most present with the sugar more subdued. Unfortunately, I don't pick up quite as much in terms of fruit, but I do seem to notice some herbal and buttery qualities. Once again, the alcohol is present.

M: The body is medium to full with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: This is a bit too hot for my tastes. Perhaps it might calm down in a few years, but just a couple ounces is fine for now.

02-15-2010 08:45:59 | More by womencantsail
antioch

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to Dan and Jon from The Full Pint for sharing this with me.

A - Dark brown, small head, nice lacing.

S - Beautiful candy sugar sweetness comes through. Strong scents of fruits and caramel sweetness! This smells amazing!

T - The taste is good, not great... YET. Malty, fruity and a lot of other flavors come through this. I think it needs some time in the cellar before it's opened.

M - Kind of light on the tongue, maybe a medium body to it. With the booziness of the taste and the complex and sugary smell of it I thought it'd be a lot thicker and chewier than it is.

D - The booze is pretty present, I think if it's given some time to mellow out it can be a very tasty beer. It's not bad now, but it will be much better later.

02-13-2010 16:14:41 | More by antioch