Hop In The Dark Cascadian Dark Ale - Deschutes Brewery

Oregon, United States

American Black Ale |  6.90% ABV

An India Black Ale.
Available - May to September
Alc. by Vol. - 6.5% (2010), 6.9% (2011)
IBUs - 75

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 05-27-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop In The Dark Cascadian Dark Ale Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black color, with a dense cappuccino colored head that slowly reduced into a thick film that left a solid sheet of sticky lace all the way around the glass.
S: Smells strongly of grassy hops with subtle sweet malt undertones. Notes of pine and grapefruit in the hops, and a light touch of coffee as well.
T: The color of this beer is tripping me out. It's definitely a hoppy IPA. Notes of juicy citrus and fruity hops hit the palate first and then melt into a sweet and slightly roasted finish. Very juicy. Notes of pineapple and tangerine up front, with hints of coffee, chocolate, and toasted grains rounding out the finish. Aftertaste has a hint of blackberries to it as well.
M: Very mellow and delicious. Body is medium-thin, slick, and slightly watery, with a dry finish. Carbonation is light and bubbly.
D: I was fairly impressed with this beer. Great hop flavor with a wonderful smell, yet it looks like a stout. Pick one up if you like IPA's.

scottfrie, Jul 03, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance is a darker IPA with mellow off tan head leaving good lace. Smell has a good combonation of roasted malts and floral citric hops. Taste of roasted malt with a grapefruit hoppy zing with a bit of pine thrown in. mouthfeel is medium with a good spike of carbonation going down. I'm personally not a big roasted fan, but a good IPA for those who do.

Bookseeb, Jul 02, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Nose is highly hoppy - American citric, floral, fruity (lychee), and perfumy. Smells nice.

Pours black with ruby highlights with plenty of head. Looks good.

Flavor follows nose in hoppiness yet more subtle. Moderate bitterness. Some dry roasty malt. Soft nuttiness. Tastes good. Feels good. Good drinkability.

MrHungryMonkey, Jul 02, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

pours a light black color with about and inch of head that dies semi-quickly.
first thing on the nose is HOPS. after the head subsides a bit, there is a wee bit of smoke in there.
taste is hop forward, with a bit of a citrus and smoke flavor to it, and your typical black IPA slight ash flavor. Not as hoppy as the smell would indicate, but not too bad...

crusian, Jul 01, 2010

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: color is extremely dark brown with hints of amber-brown when held up to the light. Head is almost two fingers of light tan foam. This is extremely porteresque in appearance; I like it.

Smell: big, funky, piney, earthy hops tend to crowd out anything else that might be present, but I think I detect a little chocolatey malt aroma underneath. This is promising.

Taste: lots of rich flavors coalesce here, from the earthy, bitter hops to some tasty, chocolatey roasted malt flavors. I rather like this combination of flavors -- it is quite similar in vein to Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale. Some of the hops seem a little rough around the edges, though.

Mouthfeel: medium body; silky smooth with a moderate yet enjoyable level of carbonation.

Drinkability: I find this beer rather drinkable. I like the dark IPA style, though, so that shouldn't be a surprise. Though this beer isn't perfect, it is a relatively well-executed example of the style.

flagmantho, Jul 01, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance - Pours an ominous dark chocolate color into my SA Perfect Pint with about a finger and a half of tan head that dissipates rather slowly leaving decent lacing.

Smell - A nice hop aroma with a slight roasted malts smell. Nothing overwhelming but pleasant nonetheless.

Taste - Wow, I'm really liking this. A slightly bitter hop taste off the bat followed by bitter grapefruit citrus which is encapsulated by some nice burnt malt aroma. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Slight coffee flavors become more apparent as the beer warms up, and it finishes with a slight pine/herbal note. Not a bad interplay of the flavors at all. Complex yet easily distinguishable in picking out the flavors.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, a dry finish.

Drinkability - Relatively so. Did not know what to expect with this beer (I've had other Black IPA's and didn't really care for them) but I am glad I picked it up. A very drinkable and complex beer that was very easy for me to finish. I thoroughly enjoyed the flavor profile. Not your typical IPA, obviously, but quite good.

SpdKilz, Jul 01, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours almost black, with mahogany tinges and a frothy tan head. Roasty, coffee-like aroma, freshened by leafy/earthy hops. Coffee flavors, slightly burnt and edgy, come through first, with a generous hop bitterness. Fairly thin body for the amount of roasty flavors, but the frothy head and excellent condition of the beer gives it a nice buoyant mouthfeel. The finish is dominated by earthy, leafy PNW hops, which leave a quenching bitterness. Toasty coffee flavors linger. A very nice beer, whatever the style-- I might call it an American porter. It strikes me as quintessentially Oregonian, and it reminds me of the dark winters I spent up there.

bcm119, Jul 01, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Appears to be a good looking porter or stout, nice tan head that held on almost the whole way through. Nice lacing too.

What the....it smells a lot IPA and only a little roasty porterness! Hops definitely shining through - Citrusy, piney, yummy. Little bit of dark chocolate, maybe some toffee too.

Taste is not at all what I expected. Even after reading lots of BA reviews....this brew looks like its going to taste uber malty. It doesn't. Blindfold me, and I would say this looked something like a Mirror Pond.
I enjoy a porter from time to time, but I'm mainly a hophead, and this quenches my thirst for hops just fine. Tastes like a better than average American IPA, with the subtle choco/coffee/roasty flavor. I completely dig this.
Medium mouthfeel, perfectly carbonated IMO. Feels like an IPA would/should.

Drinkability is about the same as any regular IPA in the 6.5 abv range for me. I'm definitely trying this again.

Honestly, I had just finished my last Ranger IPA, and went to Fred Meyer real quick to grab some more brew. I've been scoping Hop in the Dark for some time - so I finally opted for it this evening, grabbing a Stone Ruination bomber for backup, thinking I'd probably drink only half of this "dark" beer tonight and crave a more hop forward beverage.

I'm about to refill my glass and polish 'er off. Try this beer if you IPA's are your thing. I want to try more of these CDA's....

onemanarne, Jun 30, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a deep brown color with garnet highlights with a fizzy off-white head that leaves nice lines of lacing. I am pretty torn on what to give the beer for its appearance, since it certainly does not look like a classic IPA, but is going in that new line of black IPAs.

Smells of clean pine and citrus hops and some roasted malt underneath.

Tastes of a dose of roasted malts up front with a layer of hops on top. Coffee and bitter chocolate are most notable from the malts. The hops have pine and citrus notes. Roasted bitterness blends well with the hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

ocelot2500, Jun 30, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

Best after 5/29/10 on label. Pours a very dark drown/black with a lovely oatmeal creamy fluffy head.

Aromas or roasted malt, subtle watermelon and citrus melange. Very subtle though.

Malt forward, nuttiness. Hop bitterness, quite citric and tangy. Not in you face, but definitely there. Subtle java roasty flavor. Dry loose leaf tobacco.

Dry and roasty mouthfeel, finishing bitter and slighty fruity.

More of a hoppy porter to me, but they can call it whatever they want to.

RustyDiamond, Jun 29, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

22oz bottle, best after May 29, 2010.

Pours dark brown with a large foamy light beige head that leaves some nice lacing and holds a foamy ring and wispy cap.

Aroma is a whole lotta serious pine to start, some citrus, floral hops, then the malts, caramel, some burnt malt, chocolate, heavy dark bread, a little smoke. Gets a little funky as it warms, hot dogs and band-aids? I dunno. Interesting, unique, good strength.

Flavor features some bitter pine, roasted malts, chocolate, caramel, and resinous hops, good lingering bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Interesting CDA or Dark IPA. Not nearly as big as Stone's SSR, but hoppier than Capt'n Krunkles & maltier than Yakima Twilight.

elgiacomo, Jun 29, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

I'm digging this new style as well as this brewer's series so was excited to try this one.

Excellent dark color-part of why I think I enjoy the style is because you don't usually expect something so dark to be hoppy. Nice tan head that held. Citrus and piney hop aroma-MMM!
Flavor is roasty and slightly sweet with a decent hop bite. Chocolate malt-bit of toffee.
Reminds of a porter in the after taste only hoppier of course. Mouthfeel is just OK-nothing too incredible but quite drinkable especially at the 6.5% abv.

I'll most likely buy at least one more of these while it's around but would go with a Stong Sublimely over this any day.

Dixonian, Jun 28, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Big thanks to oregonskibum for this wonderful brew.

Pours the expected dark brown/black, topped by an unexpected lather of brownish beige foam. Nice lace on the glass foreshadowing the hops in this baby.

Smell is full of char notes of burnt sugar, and dark bitter, dark caramel in there as well, bitter chocolate, some coffee, citrus, floral hop, lots going on in this one, quite a potent aroma.

This baby doesn't disappoint. It starts with a blast of sweet and char, then some sweet burnt caramel, neutral sweet, sweet citrus, bitter chocolate, bitter citrus, finally yielding the sip to the char and astringent notes for a finish that has just enough sweet in it to be excellent. Full flavored, not over the top in any department, giving it a balance despite the brightly roasted notes.

Mouthfeel is excellent, maybe a tad too much carb, clean on palate, superb finish.

Drinkability is good, but the charry notes keep this from being as drinkable as some others in this style.

Impression: Were it possible to do so without a plane ticket I would get another of these right now.

cavedave, Jun 27, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours pretty much black with dark brown around the edges when held up to light. Thick, creamy tan head. Awesome, sticky, big bands of lacing.

S: Very interesting nose. First I get floral and citrus hops, but then comes the dark chocolate, roasted and toffee malt. I like it, best of both worlds.

T: Roasted chocolate malt, hints of toffee and a touch of coffee. There is some citrus and floral hops present, but I was expecting a little more. Tastes more like a hoped up porter. Bitter roasted malt and coffee as well as slight hops linger in the finish. Intriguing, but good.

M/D: Medium to light body. Very smooth. Goes down incredible easy. Low carbonation, what is there is really soft. Good drinkability, nice roasted malt character, some hops. A good in between stout/porter-ipa. I could see myself drinking a lot of this.

herman77, Jun 27, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours dark brown with a light off-white head, above average retention, no lace.

S: Definite coffee/roast, and citrus hops.

T: Clear hop flavour of tangerine, melon and grapefruit upfront with a nice chocolate and coffee finish. While the finish was nice, the flavours did not meld to well together, awkward and disjointed.

M: Medium-bodied, with a soft fizzy carbonation, pretty long aftertaste.

D: Not one of Deschutes better efforts. The beer is kind of all over the place, the overall flavour isn't up my alley. I finished the bomber fine, but it sure took me a while, not something I'd realistically want more than 10 oz. of.

Halcyondays, Jun 27, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Picked up at Susan's Wine and Spirits in Santa Fe.

A: They're not lying, it's pretty dark. Considering the smell, I figured it'd be lighter than it is. Pretty minimal lacing as well.

S: Smells just like a really solid IPA. Tons of good hop smell, not bitter at all, actually kind of citrusy.

T: Great! This thing again has a great hop flavor to it, lots of citrus. Almost makes me wonder what about this beer besides the color makes it not an IPA, since I'm not really picking up on the malt flavors that the label mentions.

M: Surprisingly full, and there's a lot of flavor that lingers well after you're done sipping. I'm a pretty big fan of that aspect.

D: Considering this is a Bond Street Series, and only comes in bombers, I could see myself putting a couple of these down in a sitting without too much ill effect. It goes down very easily, and is pretty refreshing on a warm summer evening.

Rchap1, Jun 27, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

A: The pour is a dark brown/nearly black color with a fluffy tan colored head.

S: A nice citrus hop aroma up front with some roast and a hint of bitterness behind it. The hops are somewhat short lived and the various malts (especially the roast) come through the rest of the way.

T: The hop flavor is not quite as intense and pronounced as I would have expected. This comes across as more of a hoppy porter than anything, but the flavor seems a bit watery at time so you do not get the full effect of the hops nor the roast/malty qualities.

M: As mentioned above, this one seems to be slightly watery with a low to moderate carbonation.

D: One of the few (only?) disappointing efforts from Deschutes. I really liked Stone 11/SSR, so I thought this one would be right up my alley, but it falls short.

womencantsail, Jun 26, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Cmorton brought me a bottle of this the other night to review, so here it is. Poured into my Incredible Hulk pint glass.

Semi hard pour creates a light khaki two finger head that resides to a nice layer of foam and already leaving evidence of lacing. Black with hints of brown on the edges. Very nice retention and awesome lacing left on the sides of the glass.

The nose smells of coffee and cream with pine and citrus hops. Quite interesting.

The tastes is simila. Coffee, burnt malts, some lactose like sweetness, biscuity malts, then the hops kick in as piney, resin, and some grapefruit citrus flavors. I feel like more hop presence would have been nice, but still very tasty and interesting.

The mouthfeel is quite light with medium carbonation and nice smoothness.

Good drinkability, definitely worth a try.

billshmeinke, Jun 26, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

A - Very very dark opaque red, almost looks black, but in the right light you can see a slight red tinge. Good head retention and lacing with 1 finger tan head.

S - Very strong hop smell. Slight smell of roasted malts.

T - Amazing! I never know what to expect with CDAs. The onset is full of hops, a great bitter taste of an IPA. Following that up is a smooth chocolate/coffee taste with a slight roast character. The finish is more hops, very bitter but don't linger too long.

M - Light body keeping with the CDA style. Confuses your mouth since it is such a dark beer, but then, that's the purpose of CDAs. The finish caps off the beer very nicely, bringing the tastes back to the initial flavor and readying you for the next sip.

D - Good drinkability. Definitely heavier than most of the CDAs I have had, but still nothing like what the color suggests.

I would definitely get this again, one of the best beers I have had in recent memory.

GarrettMD, Jun 25, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

On tap at Pizza Port OB, San Diego.

Pours a matte black color with a foamy tan head having decent retention. The aroma and taste very much go hand-in-hand. Citrus with spicy hops up front, with a hint of roasted malt. The malt comes out more with the finish. Medium-bodied and relatively smooth. Perhaps my favorite black IPA (that doesn't have a crazy ABV). Very drinkable and enjoyable. Wish this could be more widely available, as I'd surely get it more often.

mithrascruor, Jun 25, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

I'm not entirely on board the CDA train, yet, but I still think this is a pretty good beer. As for the style, this seems like a strong, hoppy porter to me. There's some chocolate and caramel, but it's mostly the tangy, ashy roast flavor that I associate with porters. Hops are medium to strong for a 6.5% abv IPA and show up more in the flavor than aroma. The aroma is actually a bit milder than I expected. On the other hand, the beer is chock full of flavor. It's quite bitter with spicy pine resin and pungent grapefruit rind. The roasted malt adds further bitterness or, at least, accentuates the hops. Both taste and aroma are balanced between strong malt and hop flavors. The mouthfeel is a tad rough. I could see this beer and CDAs, generally, growing on me, but I'm not quite there yet. Still, it's a good beer, and I'll come back to it, one day.

popery, Jun 25, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a light black color. When held up to the light you can see a rusty/amber-brown color in the beer. Has a beautiful 1 1/2 inch tan head on this bad boy. This beer has a very interesting smell for an IPA. This is not my first "black ipa," but this one stands out a bit. You can smell a bit of "roastiness" to it along with a mild hop profile. I want to say that I'm also getting hints of dark fruit and coffee. Very interesting. Wow, the taste is extremely unique. I must have been right about the coffee smell because it totally comes out on my palate, especially in the aftertaste. The unique thing about this beer is that you get the hops right up front rather than after the usual citrus fruits. This beer has a strong coffee/espresso backbone. I'm really enjoying this. You also get hit with some nice grapefruit notes that seem to be enhanced by the bitterness of the coffee. This one has a very light mouthfeel for what I'm tasting on my palate. Drinkability is fairly high. This a great version of a black ipa. Very uniquely set apart from Sublimely Self-Ritious and Bashah IMO.

DovaliHops, Jun 24, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

This beer totally shocked me. I didn't expect much for some reason, although I love Deschutes. I guess I couldn't picture a black IPA. The appearance was as dark brown or nearly black. Nice thick foamy head which laced down the glass. The smell was of coffee and great maltiness and a little hops, but not much. The taste is just unbelievable. It's almost like a light porter with a real bitter finish. And it sits light in my stomach. It's not heavy. I've had nothing like it and I can't get enough. It's so smooth, too. I drank a bomber and could keep going. I've got another bomber in the fridge, but I'm going to hang onto it....for a day...maybe.

TomBrewnansky, Jun 24, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yesterday at st James infirmary in reno. Black as black can be for style. Reduced head. Aroma was big time grapefruit hops.

Taste was so bitter. Stone ssr and dogzilla have competition now! Reminiscient of juxtaposition actually. I really enjoyed the style. Black coating and hop bite. No noticeable alcohol, yet became a somewhat sipper for the sheer enjoyment.

Have noticed the bottles aren't as good, but it does have a relatively decent shelf life before the hops fade. I dunno, is there some reason why the hops in a black ipa would be more resistant to aging?

Beerandraiderfan, Jun 23, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to tturaiders for this one.

22oz bomber served in SN 30th snifter.

A: Pours a very dark brown, near black, with 2 inches of head. The dark khaki head breaks down slowly and clings nicely.

S: As soon as the cap comes off I got a big whiff of fresh whole cone hops. Sensory confusion! The big piney aroma coming from a beer of this color doesn't initially compute. Hop smell is amazing. Really clean and fresh. Spruce. Faint roasted malt hiding behind the pine and just a little citrus. Its been nearly 10 minutes since I poured this and I haven't even had a sip because I'm so content with the smell.

T: Amazing interplay of flavors. Citrus flavors reminiscent of those present in some varieties of coffee. Sweet and tart orange flavors jockey for position with toasted malt and coffee. Finishes dry, with herbal and pine. Taste doesn't blow me away like the aroma, but it is very complex. This is certainly a beer that will hold your attention.

M: Medium body. Carbonation is about right. Drying finish, slightly chalky.

D: ABV is low enough that finishing a bomber won't be an issue. More importantly however, this beer is complex and above all, interesting.

I always expect good things from Deschutes, but this one surprised me. I've enjoyed beers like ST Iniquity, Victory Yakima Twilight, and Stone SSR, but Hop in the Dark was an absolute revelation. I found it to be far superior to any other CDA/BlackIPA/Whatever that I've ever had. I really wish I had a case of this instead of just a bottle. I'll be trying to get my hands on some more of this very soon.

AdamGarcia, Jun 23, 2010