Follow our progress ...

YOUR RATING = None |

Armory XPAArmory XPA

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

IBU: 58

Added by Wetpaperbag on 07-08-2010

Reviews: 110 | Ratings: 551
Reviews by LambicPentameter:

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L- dark ambered body, two finger brownish white (maybe golden white) head. can see through with minimal haze. Bubbles periodically float to the top.

S- Piney hint of sweet and grapefruit hop.

T- A dull sweet to meet a dull bitter, but if both were amped a bit. The sweetness is caramel. The hop is floral with a brush of pine.

F- Goldilocks. Not to watery not too thick. I've seen a lot of people talk about it being nitro tapped. I've never had anything on nitro tap, but I can see where this would be ideal for it.

O- Deshutes was one of my first Better Beers. Black Butte Porter was had on my 21st as I tried to cure a hangover. I was amazed at how (at the time) thick and brutal it was. Since then I've tried a variety of amazing ales fro them, and are still one of my top fives breweries. This isn't the best IPA I've had, but certainly not the worst by a long shot. Anyone that's a fan of PBR will understand this when I say, if Pabst decided to ditch the adjunct and stuck to traditional and decided to brew an IPA, this would be it. THAT is not a bad thing. This is quite tasty and I would drink again for sure. I don't believe I would ever buy again but I'd totally totally drink again.

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.06/5  rDev +6%

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.79/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hop-driven Ale with some caramel and toasted malts underneath.Despite supposedly highlighting Citra, the hops are fairly herbal and floral with some citrus and just a tinge of tropical notes. Decent, but compared to brews like Fresh Squeezed and Red Chair (the closest comparisons), it just doesn't meet my expectations.

On tap. Both on nitro and regular forced carbon dioxide. This is a NW hop forward hoppy ale with a nice balance of rich grainy, slightly caramel malt to balance out the big hop aroma and flavor. Preferred the creamy mouthfeel and overall balanced taste on nitro.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Copper colored with great clarity. A fingernail of eggshell white sits on top. I smell some nice citrus and floral hops and a bit of light malt. The taste is a nice balance of citrus hops and earthy light malt. The mouth is light and a tiny bit sticky.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: A brilliant copper pour kicks up a clingy 3” off white to cream colored foam stand that takes 4 minutes to reduce to 1/3 its original size.
S: Spicy floral tropical aromas rise from the glass with some herbal vegetation smells. Light malt in the background.
T: Malt leads the attack with a battery of rich hop flavors of tropical fruit and citrus. Malt flavors are medium, hop flavors and medium high and hop bitterness is medium to medium high.
F: Very creamy with a medium body and medium carbonation.
O: A full flavored and very drinkable beer.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Light amber orange look with light lacing around edges. Not a strong smell but what I can gather is good, lightly hoppy. The taste is rather that of a standard pale ale, and it's hard for me to discern exactly what is "experimental" about this brew from my own senses. It's pleasantly bitter and balanced, without any discernible floral notes. More piney than anything with some buttery crackers and alcohol astringency that doesn't sit as well as I like as an aftertaste. Still, not a bad beer by most standards. As I am a Deschutes fan, I felt I had to try this one. It isn't one of their best, but it's still better than most. It does taste reminiscent of Red Chair, but less balanced and more metallic.

4.55/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Armory XPA from Deschutes Brewery