Armory XPA | Deschutes Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |

Armory XPAArmory XPA

Deschutes Brewery
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

IBU: 58

Added by Wetpaperbag on 07-08-2010

Reviews: 97 | Ratings: 494
Reviews by Monkeyknife:
3.71/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle a clear and bright gold with two fingers of off-white head. Wet lacing left behind.

Aroma was rather subtle with floral notes and sweet caramel malts.

The taste had a light hoppy floral and citrus notes a sweet caramel malty finish.

Light-to-medium bodied and sticky with a moderate carbonation.

An easy drinking Pale ale from Deschutes.

3.67/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L- dark ambered body, two finger brownish white (maybe golden white) head. can see through with minimal haze. Bubbles periodically float to the top.

S- Piney hint of sweet and grapefruit hop.

T- A dull sweet to meet a dull bitter, but if both were amped a bit. The sweetness is caramel. The hop is floral with a brush of pine.

F- Goldilocks. Not to watery not too thick. I've seen a lot of people talk about it being nitro tapped. I've never had anything on nitro tap, but I can see where this would be ideal for it.

O- Deshutes was one of my first Better Beers. Black Butte Porter was had on my 21st as I tried to cure a hangover. I was amazed at how (at the time) thick and brutal it was. Since then I've tried a variety of amazing ales fro them, and are still one of my top fives breweries. This isn't the best IPA I've had, but certainly not the worst by a long shot. Anyone that's a fan of PBR will understand this when I say, if Pabst decided to ditch the adjunct and stuck to traditional and decided to brew an IPA, this would be it. THAT is not a bad thing. This is quite tasty and I would drink again for sure. I don't believe I would ever buy again but I'd totally totally drink again.

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.06/5  rDev +6.3%

3.97/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap. Both on nitro and regular forced carbon dioxide. This is a NW hop forward hoppy ale with a nice balance of rich grainy, slightly caramel malt to balance out the big hop aroma and flavor. Preferred the creamy mouthfeel and overall balanced taste on nitro.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Copper colored with great clarity. A fingernail of eggshell white sits on top. I smell some nice citrus and floral hops and a bit of light malt. The taste is a nice balance of citrus hops and earthy light malt. The mouth is light and a tiny bit sticky.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.43/5  rDev -10.2%

Light amber orange look with light lacing around edges. Not a strong smell but what I can gather is good, lightly hoppy. The taste is rather that of a standard pale ale, and it's hard for me to discern exactly what is "experimental" about this brew from my own senses. It's pleasantly bitter and balanced, without any discernible floral notes. More piney than anything with some buttery crackers and alcohol astringency that doesn't sit as well as I like as an aftertaste. Still, not a bad beer by most standards. As I am a Deschutes fan, I felt I had to try this one. It isn't one of their best, but it's still better than most. It does taste reminiscent of Red Chair, but less balanced and more metallic.

4.55/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.02/5  rDev +5.2%