Fresh Squeezed IPA - Deschutes Brewery

Fresh Squeezed IPAFresh Squeezed IPA

Deschutes Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: ccrida on 12-31-2009

This mouthwateringly delicious IPA gets its flavor from a heavy helping of Citra and Mosaic hops. Don't worry, no fruit was harmed in the making of this beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fresh Squeezed IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 544 | Hads: 4,250

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in Deschutes Pub Glass. Pours a golden amber with 1/2 inch frothy head. Smells like grapefruit and hops, delicious. Tastes exactly as it smells citrusy grapefruit with a good hop balance. The mouth feel is spot on, and it begs you to keep drinking. I cannot lie, this beer is outstanding in every way. As longs as it if fairly fresh this beer knocks it out of the park every time.

I have not come close to tasting every IPA out there and most likely never will, but I seriously doubt I will every try an IPA that surpasses Freshly Squeezed. It s the best of the best as far as I am concerned. Bitter like a good IPA should be, but goes down nice and easy. If this was as rare as other IPA's such as Pliny than I think it would be as highly sought after. A truly world class beer

Perfect example of a citrus bomb IPA. This is a great go to ipa. It is pure citrus from the aroma to the flavor. This is one of my favorite beers. I highly recommend anybody who can get it try it.

Serving type: 12 oz bottle into perfect pint glass.

Pours a beautiful clear ruby with ample carbonation. It smells super grapefruit-y and citrusy. Just amazing. The taste supersedes the smell in every possible way and the smell was great to begin with. Subtle citrus flavors that leads to crisp, almost orange-rind bitterness at the end. Nice sweetness from the malts that play perfectly into the bitter zestiness found in the beer. Hops are downplayed but are noticeable. Feels soapy but in a good way, the ring/zest finish is especially nice.

This right here is possibly my favorite IPA to date. It very much deserves that world-class rating and I implore you to try it (fresh) as soon as possible!

Best IPA I've had yet. Sculpin IPA was my favorite, but after having this several times now it has officially surpassed Sculpin. Such a delicious and refreshing beer.

i didnt think this was that great when i first tried it. however, everything i bought after having this i kept comparing it to. nothing came close. seems i did love this brew more than i knew. now i had to get another case.

4.99/5  rDev +19.4%

What a fantastic beer. This is what we all want. It's hard to describe something that is just about perfect. All I know is that when I open this bottle and pour it into my favorite glass I can barely enjoy the damn thing for drinking it too fast! What a beautiful thing that has happened to the beer industry when I am the beneficiary of so many microbreweries producing product like never before. If you dont feel lucky about that then you arent a true beer lover. And if you don't love this beer, you dont drink enough of it to know. The aroma is divine, the initial taste is hop and citrus heaven and you will probably make that face or roll your eyes...you know, when something is so good you look at someone and dont care at all how you seem because you know the truth. That's what this beer is...THE TRUTH! I would love to find another beer that comes as close as this one does to being the perfect beer (maybe Little Sumpin) and if I find it, I'll let you know. In the meantime, kiss anyone who gives you this beer right on the mouth like Lydia Loveless would.

4.99/5  rDev +19.4%

wow! what an aroma. again. this is like walking into a freezer filled with aromatic citrus. it's like a spritzer filled with fruit. this is incredible. so far....
dark gold, some decent head. the aroma is the standout feature. so far.... incredible citrus.
incredible orange. grapefruit. lemon. this like a frickin' box of TRIX cereal. the taste of this brew is absolutely incredible. slight hop bitterness, but reminiscent of CANDY. or, Trix cereal. this stuff is absolutely incredible. but wait, I said that already. forget the review, just have a drink of this stuff. I've been trying new Midwest and east coast IPAs all afternoon, so maybe this is just from being a 'change'? nah, I don't think so . . . .

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

L- Beautiful copper/orange with a great two finger head that dissipates to creamy. Nice light lacing.
Smell- awesome combination of hop, citrus with a bite.
T- This is a top five IPA and might be top five overall for me! I am a sucker for the West Coast IPA. Makes me want to quit my job an be a brewery grunt. Perfect Citrus, piney combination up front with that magical malty/IPABite sliding down. Just enough hop to ooze out the nose while swallowing.
F- So many IPAs fail to bring all the amazing things happening with Hop Hop that they can't bring it together to enjoy in the end. This does it.
O- Like I said a top five IPA, possibly top five overall for me now.

4.91/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Honey/amber color pour into an ipa glass with a very foamy 1" tall off white colored head. Settles to a constant froth layer on top with quite a bit of lacing going on as well. Smells of pine, grass, and citrus with a grapefruit/tangerine combo must up front. Taste is of grapefuit, melon, grass, and pine. Pretty heavy medium bodied brew with some hop bitterness on the palate but balanced just right. I found that even with some pretty high ratings already I think Fresh Squeezed lived up to my expectations. Overall, an easy to drink ipa that is well balanced, flavorful, and yet pretty complex.

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

Easily in the top five best IPAs I've ever had. It's almost like drinking a citrusy soda, just because the hops isn't overly assaulting. It has that nice Pacific Northwest IPA feel and taste to it. It's a great beer too because it's only 6.4% ABV so the alcohol astringency isn't overpowering to the senses and one can still pick up the subtle flavors as well as the abundant citrus notes. Definitely a must-have beer. Perfect for a hot spring or summer day.

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

This is one heck of an IPA.

A fruity hop bomb that is incredibly pleasurable to drink. The only thing keeping this from perfection is the slightly thin mouth feel, a bit more resin and this becomes a perfect beer.

4.89/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I love fresh hopped brews and nugget hops. I just tried this at a local pizza shop and loved it. Great blend of citra, mosaic and nugget hops. Remarkably smooth - with much less of that dry bitter bite you often get with fresh hopped ales. I think this is my new favorite beer.

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

A- large frothy two finger head. Nice medium orange color. Sticky lacing.

S- mango, pineapple, pine, lemon grass.

T- strangely balanced fruity hops. Mango, pineapple, pepper, pine, clean pale grain.
Peppery bitterness takes the edge off the citrusy fruits.

M- medium carb. Slick and smooth.

O- amazing balance for such a citrus hop forward ale.
amazingly easy to drink. Fantastic! Gotta try it.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one good American IPA. A lot of the IPAs now hit you with an over the top ABV and it takes away from the front end hop taste and replaces it with a boozy taste.
This one is near perfect. Definitely in my top 2 for IPAs. Good balance of hops and just the right ABV in my opinion.

Only thing that detracts from this beer to make it perfect is little to no head other then that it is hard to find faults.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Gorgeous. Citra and Mosaic combine nicely for a citrusy almost floral front, a little tangy, good carbonation, nice long fresh finish. Love this. Aptly named. Not the bitter big hit king of IPA, more delicate.

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

Deschutes Brewery has been one of the US brewers I’ve been trying to get my hands on ever since I began walking... the day after having a big night out drinking American craft beer (see how important it is to finish some sentences). Anyway Deschutes, Russian River and The Alchemist are all up there in my fantasy beer world. Well no longer for Deschutes (take that brain!) as The Durham (Canberra) managed to get a few of their brews in and I went straight for the big guns: Fresh Squeezed IPA.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Hazy deep amber body with a 2cm off-white head - smack in the middle of classic IPA territory yes. 9/10.

S: Pineapple forward with citric/pine notes and hints of caramel malt. Tropical and citric hops domineering throughout this fantastic aroma! I want this in an aftershave... actually scratch that, an aftershave of this would have me salivating constantly - somehow I think ladies might get the wrong impression of me from this. 10/10.

T: Wow! All of the above (pineapple, citrus/pine) the balance between hops and caramel malts is superb - a master class in how to balance sweet/bitter characters. Tropical fruit from the Mosaic hops (which are fast becoming my favourite hop) mix well with the lemon/lychee Citra flavours. Someone told me the other day that Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA had better flavour but he was wrong - this beats it. 10/10.

M: Medium bodied with a light carbonation and plenty of hop oils sloshing around (in fact you could see oil drops in the pour). 8/10.

D: Verdict: My new favourite IPA. Although it’s pretty mild as far as hop bitterness in American IPAs go (it’s more like an American Pale Ale in this respect) it has such flawless balance, and the tropical/citric/pine combination I know and love. I reckon I could down a case of this quicker than a dying man in a desert. It’s 6.4% ABV and you hardly notice it. I’m having a double take here: I need to get it again just to make sure it really is this good or if I happened to have a miraculously good batch - the bottling date is August 2014 - fresh IPA at its best. 10/10.

Food match: Classic IPA cuisines for me are Thai/Vietnamese/Malaysian, however I have a feeling this Ale would be just at home with a gourmet pizza too.

4.86/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A+ IPA for anyone loving a citrus dominated IPA rather than a piney dominate one. Noticeably darker than most IPAs with very nice malt/hop balance. Excellent mouth feel with a clean finish.

4.85/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Seriously my favorite beer. I was looking for something citra hopped or close to Zombie Dust( don't let anyone tell you there is a Zombie dust clone, It just doesn't exist) at my local Friar Tucks and this was recommended. Brought home a bomber bottle and was hooked. Fantastic smell, Sweet citrus and floral flavor with a nice piney aftertaste. No description will do it justice, just go try a bottle. Absolutely love this. Went out and bought the rest of their stock for the next few months. It's only a June-September seasonal so stock up while you can. you won't be disappointed. The only thing disappointing about this beer is that you will not be able to get more after you drink it all.

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Finally got a keg of this for the home, kegged 7/28/2013, tapped 8/15/13 - about as fresh as one could reasonably expect. Powerful nose on this one, very fragrant and flowery hops. Incredibly smooth mouthfeel, just like a cask conditioned or "Real Ale". Excellent carbonation, holds for a long time down the glass. Definitely not bitter, but leaning towards sweet. Spicy notes, a lot of fruit like mangos but less of grapefruit and lemon types.

One of the most pleasurable IPA's I have ever had in my home, looking forward to the next week or so.

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this for the first time this year on draught and have been looking for a sixer of it ever since - I think it's a bit off-season at this point, but I am enjoying the hell out of this six pack. Pours a super-cloudy amber with lots of floating sediment. The head is soapy and dense; it builds and hangs around a while, but not like a beer where you're like, "OK, OK, enough suds already." The nose is just amazing, super-citrusy with and tropical fruit; blood orange, mango and pineapple. Flavor is excellent. Hoppy-bitters but well-balanced by the sweet tropical and citrus flavors. Honestly, how the hell did they make this beer so good?

4.81/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy, honey color with a nice creamy head...beautiful lacing. The initial blast to the olfactory senses make you think you've just sliced into a ripe grapefruit....Just incredible. Taste is a velvety smoothe citrus with slight floral notes.
Another masterpiece from Deschutes

4.81/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Nice smooth slightly fruity middle range IPA. I prefer a little more hops an alcohol but that's why this is a single IPA. Best tasting single IPA I've ever had. If you haven't tried it you should :-)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

growler fill from Friendly Greek, Lancaster, PA. Poured into a tumbler glass.

A- a very clear amber with orange hues. BIG light khaki head. Fantastic lacing.

S- lots of pineapple, grapefruit, mango and orange. Some underlying bigcuity and slightly caramel malts.

T- So juicy. Follows the nose, and while it's bitter, for the sheer amount of hop flavor you get, you would think this would be crushingly bitter. An absolute showcase of Mosaic and Citra. Nice interplay of juicy sweetness and bitterness ont he finish.

M- lighter side of medium bodied, with a lightly dry, and juicy finish.

O- Possibly the most well crafted IPA I'v ever had. Deschutes has NEVER made a beer I didn't think was exceptional.

4.79/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Beautiful medium to deep amber in colour with good foam and retention that leaves intricate lacing.

S: This is where things get really interesting. Lots of tropical aromas (pineapple, mangos…) with some citrus and pine earthiness. I could smell this beer forever and never get bored.

T: Is this a beer I am drinking or some kind of fruit juice? The most palatable beer I've had so far! Just like the smell, lots of tropical fruits, maybe a little sweet but not really. Great malts and hops! Citrus and pine needles too, the full package. Extremely well balanced.

M: Medium to thick bodied with great carbonation. Very creamy. Once again, what is it that I'm drinking? But in a very good way!

O: Might very well be the most palatable and greatest IPA I ever had. I'm a real hop head but definitely recommend this beer not only to IPA fans. This is so well balanced and has so much interesting flavours and aromas that I expect everyone can enjoy it. Wow!

Fresh Squeezed IPA from Deschutes Brewery